Options

New cubs fans?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    Wrigley was the first ballpark other than Fenway that I ever visited. That was in 1985. I wouldn't call myself a fan necessarily but I have always had a soft spot for them ever since. Also, as a Red Sox fan it is hard to root against Theo and Jon Lester. Hope this is their year.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    JimmyV said:

Wrigley was the first ballpark other than Fenway that I ever visited. That was in 1985. I wouldn't call myself a fan necessarily but I have always had a soft spot for them ever since. Also, as a Red Sox fan it is hard to root against Theo and Jon Lester. Hope this is their year.

The Red Sox ties are the same reason I can't root against Tito!

Dave Roberts is a tough one w/ the Dodgers, but with guys like Puig & A-Gon on his team it becomes a no-brainer (plus...... It's friggin' LA)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884

JimmyV said:

Dave Roberts is a tough one w/ the Dodgers, but with guys like Puig & A-Gon on his team it becomes a no-brainer (plus...... It's friggin' LA)
    Agreed on all points.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Tito is proving his post season managerial chops. It's really fascinating watching the moves he makes.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890

JimmyV said:

I'm just curious. What do you find wrong with Puig? I sort of get AGon if you're a Sox fan since he didn't really like Boston.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

kasedoug said:

Must be a lot of new Cubs fans. Saw a lot of them behind home plate overreacting to routine fly balls, thinking they were going out. Watch the fielder, not the ball.
    Go Dodgers.

There are usually no fans behind the plate in LA . That is until the 4th inning or the phony celebs trying to get camera time.
    That's because no matter what time you leave the house for Chavez Ravine, traffic and parking will always fuck you out of the first three innings.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    no.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I like the perennial underdog
  • Options
    kasedoug said:

JimmyV said:

I'm just curious. What do you find wrong with Puig? I sort of get AGon if you're a Sox fan since he didn't really like Boston.
    Puig's got a reputation as being a pretty lousy teammate. I'll admit, I haven't read all that much about him, but what I have read has been fairly negative about his clubhouse presence.

I don't dislike A-Gon because he didn't like Boston...... I was a big fan of the guy, right up until his remarks in the wake of the 2011 collapse.
    Granted, players' comments in the moments after a game should be taken with a grain of salt, but he chalked their failures up to God's will:
    "I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward,"

For a pro athlete making north of $20M to throw that BS out there is pretty f'ing lousy. I was happy to see him get traded, and I hope it's God's will that he never wins a championship in his entire career.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    Hell no.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160

I don't dislike A-Gon because he didn't like Boston...... I was a big fan of the guy, right up until his remarks in the wake of the 2011 collapse.
    Granted, players' comments in the moments after a game should be taken with a grain of salt, but he chalked their failures up to God's will:
    "I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward,"

For a pro athlete making north of $20M to throw that BS out there is pretty f'ing lousy. I was happy to see him get traded, and I hope it's God's will that he never wins a championship in his entire career.

So you hate him because of his religion? That's pretty shitty, dude.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    As an Astros fan I can empathize with any fanbase that has no idea what it feels like to win the big fancy trophy.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    kasedoug said:

JimmyV said:

Puig is a notorious piece of shit. Even dodger fans have a problem with him. He's a shitty teammate, shitty with the fans (including kids), and just an all around shitty person.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    KC2917 said:

kasedoug said:

JimmyV said:

Puig is a notorious piece of shit. Even dodger fans have a problem with him. He's a shitty teammate, shitty with the fans (including kids), and just an all around shitty person.
    I'm a Dodger fan and while I don't necessarily love Puig all the time, I find it interesting how people who don't really follow the team make him out to be.
    Yes, he hasn't always been the best teammate and rubbed people the wrong way, but he was sent down earlier this season due to that and from all indications, he's been a much better teammate since his minor league stint as it humbled him. He came from a baseball culture in Cuba that's a lot different than in the US.
    I've been on the field for batting practice multiple times at Dodger Stadium and seen him have great interactions with fans, especially kids. There have been multiple times in the past where he's stopped off at the local Elysian Park Little League fields near the stadium and played ball with the kids. He even invited those kids to play on the field at Dodger Stadium one afternoon. Lots of other examples of how he's helped support youth baseball. I've personally interacted with him on two occasions at Dodgers charity events and he's been extremely pleasant with fans from what I've seen.

The main thing that I find intriguing about all the Puig hate is that there's a good deal of people that hate on him but say they're rooting for the Cubs (some may just be pandering to EV), a team that employs Aroldis Chapman who was suspended by MLB for a domestic violence incident in the offseason where he fired multiple rounds from a gun after a physical altercation with his girlfriend.

Above all, it's astonishing how much more energy and effort people spend hating on/putting down the opposition rather than focusing on supporting and rooting on their own teams.
  • Options
    mattcoz said:

So you hate him because of his religion? That's pretty shitty, dude.
    The only thing that's shitty here is you putting words in my mouth, dude.
  • Options
    Ithink we can all agree the Tribe rules.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    As a Cubs fan, A-Gon gets much respect for refusing to stay in Trump Tower!
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    mrussel1 said:

Ithink we can all agree the Tribe rules.

Agreed. Go Indians.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    I was at John Barleycorn in Wrigleyville last night. The sense of anxiety and dread was palpable. It was like being in a Cleveland bar again.
  • Options
    So many foolish new Cubs fans in Chicago it's laughable. In the 8 block walk to the post office I must have seen 10 blue W flags flying. FYI new Cubs fans the W flies when you win.
  • Options

So many foolish new Cubs fans in Chicago it's laughable. In the 8 block walk to the post office I must have seen 10 blue W flags flying. FYI new Cubs fans the W flies when you win.

I saw tons flying last night too. Thought it was odd.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    mrussel1 said:

I was at John Barleycorn in Wrigleyville last night. The sense of anxiety and dread was palpable. It was like being in a Cleveland bar again.

Many, many nights spent upstairs at Barleycorn in Wrigleyville back in the day....couldn't beat those $25 all you can drink specials for 3 hours!
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Many, many nights spent upstairs at Barleycorn in Wrigleyville back in the day....couldn't beat those $25 all you can drink specials for 3 hours!
    I love it because it's actually a Browns bar! Then we went to Iron Crow which is a Buckeyes bar! God I love Chicago!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750

kasedoug said:

Must be a lot of new Cubs fans. Saw a lot of them behind home plate overreacting to routine fly balls, thinking they were going out. Watch the fielder, not the ball.
    Go Dodgers.

There are a LOT of new Cubs fans in Chicago lately. If the Cubs win, I'll be happy for all the real Cubs fans that have suffered for so long, but I can't stand all these dipshits that just jump on the bandwagon.
    That's the way Championships (not saying the Cubs won one now) go. There weren't a fraction of the white Sox fans before 2005...and they are dwindling away again. Getting Blackhawks tickets was ZERO problem 9 years ago. Now everybody is a fan. Everybody says they are life long fans. Everybody backs it up by saying they grew up watching the games with their grandpa and the Hawks are their life long passion.

I ignore the bandwagon Cubs fans. They are going to be there. Just like we started seeing Heat clothing and now Warriors clothing throughout Chicagoland. Just like every 4th car you pass now has a Blackhawks sticker or license plate frame. 10 years ago, it was the same way with Sox stuff...the Hawks got good and took over the limelight.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,797
    I'm a fan now too I love the cubs :lol:

I'm no longer a royals fan :wink:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2