Tragically Hip Aug 20

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Watching the 720p HD CBC rip this afternoon. Hope they guy's last night @ the Pearl Jam Chicago after party were able to get that url YouTube 320p download of the complete show w/ after show. If you need a hookup @pearljim let me know. :)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

JimmyV said:

I've heard of the Tragically Hip over the years but I've never really been exposed to them. Last night I was very impressed. Can completely understand the appeal.

Very thankful the CBC made that show available internationally. It might have been a national celebration but it became a worldwide event. Well done.

Jimmy V...

How ya been?

Go get yourself Fully Completely... get some headphones... stretch the old legs out... place a view within your line of sight... and enjoy!
    Fully Completely...I will check that out this week.

Cheers!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    THE TRAGICALLY HIP Kingston Rogers K-Rock Centre CBC-FM R2: cable FM > RX-596 > R500 (SBM) > R44 (24/48) > HD Flac https://mega.nz/#!fINzyBQQ!k3L9RXxLAN3QxegMDXi41TslFXmDSgxtTfm2Vyh55II
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    demetrios said:

THE TRAGICALLY HIP Kingston Rogers K-Rock Centre CBC-FM R2: cable FM > RX-596 > R500 (SBM) > R44 (24/48) > HD Flac https://mega.nz/#!fINzyBQQ!k3L9RXxLAN3QxegMDXi41TslFXmDSgxtTfm2Vyh55II

Thanks for sharing this Demetrios, hoping there'll be an official release either of this show, or a compilation from the tour, but this'll help the wait, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    demetrios said:

Watching the 720p HD CBC rip this afternoon. Hope they guy's last night @ the Pearl Jam Chicago after party were able to get that url YouTube 320p download of the complete show w/ after show. If you need a hookup @pearljim let me know. :)

D sent you a message, thanks.

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.

Glad you got what you wished for, OP

Thanks crookedcross!

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2016
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

I've heard of the Tragically Hip over the years but I've never really been exposed to them. Last night I was very impressed. Can completely understand the appeal.

Very thankful the CBC made that show available internationally. It might have been a national celebration but it became a worldwide event. Well done.

Jimmy V...

How ya been?

Go get yourself Fully Completely... get some headphones... stretch the old legs out... place a view within your line of sight... and enjoy!

Cheers!
    Make sure you do this!
    I had the old yellow Sony sports Walkman and listened to this tape on a road trip.
    It didn't leave my Walkman for a very long time.
    Make sure you can just sit and listen for the whole album uninterrupted - which is how many Canadians discovered the Hip.
  • Leaving this here.
    PJ fans will pick this up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiTccsRKFZU
  • dr_ed_ddsdr_ed_dds Posts: 102
    DO yourselves all a favour- FULLY COMPLETELY- listen once, you will be impreesed, listen twice you will be hooked for life. The definition of greatness. Been a PJ fan since 92 and never understood why America never got The Hip. Hopefully Eddie's generous and beautiful ode will catalize some of you PJ fans to spend some time with arguably Canada's greatest band. Much love

dr_ed_dds said:

DO yourselves all a favour- FULLY COMPLETELY- listen once, you will be impreesed, listen twice you will be hooked for life. The definition of greatness. Been a PJ fan since 92 and never understood why America never got The Hip. Hopefully Eddie's generous and beautiful ode will catalize some of you PJ fans to spend some time with arguably Canada's greatest band. Much love

Roberto Clemente.
    Also Road Apples!

Roberto Clemente.
  • dr_ed_ddsdr_ed_dds Posts: 102
    pearljim said:

Also Road Apples!

Of course!
  • pearljim said:

Also Road Apples!

Let's not give them too much at once!

This is in the queue at number 2... although Hugh's gonna say, "Wtf? Day For Night, man."

Day For Night is pretty damn awesome! Nautical Disaster. Nautical Disaster.

* I remember Fully Completely playing in everybody's car when it came out. I remember debating everyone which song was the best of the album. I stood firm on 50 Mission Cap... but Courage, Locked in the Trunk of a Car, At the 100th Meridian, and Wheat Kings tested my faith.

When we were planning our weekends... we'd nearly always say we were 'Looking for a Place to Happen'.

Every song. EVERY song... is really good... and if not... then it's awesome.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

Jimmy V...

How ya been?

Cheers!
    I'll expect a mini review, Jimmy V. And as someone said... don't be too quick to offer it: it's the kind of music that sinks it's teeth into you slowly and steadily... only to be timeless.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Some cat said this was played out, and another mentioned how the Barenaked Ladies had more success in the States (as did others like Nickleback), but leave it to Ed to know where the real talent and heart of the whole north was and has been close to 30 years. As Canadians, we didn't care that y'all never got it - hell, that might be one of the best parts of this Hip love - but as a PJ fan, I'm pretty thrilled that Ed got it, that he knew its significance.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    a serious class act that ed ved. i'm beyond words to properly describe my thoughts....not just merely a "shout out" either
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10F17ed9mo
  • Just watched Eddie talk about Gord and then Light Years. CHILLS. Best 2 bands in the world. Thank you so much Pearl Jam for showing us all it's all about L-O-V-E.
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited August 2016
    PJ Sparks said:

Some cat said this was played out, and another mentioned how the Barenaked Ladies had more success in the States (as did others like Nickleback), but leave it to Ed to know where the real talent and heart of the whole north was and has been close to 30 years. As Canadians, we didn't care that y'all never got it - hell, that might be one of the best parts of this Hip love - but as a PJ fan, I'm pretty thrilled that Ed got it, that he knew its significance.

I have a read shirt that says "Thanks Gord" on the front and "It'd be better for us if you don't understand.." on the back.

PJ gets it. If I learned anything, musicianship at their level becomes somewhat of a brotherhood. Travellin Band Brotherhood. :-)
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    To try and save people the hassle, here's the running order for the above link, lol.

1. Intro
    2. Fifty-Mission Cap
    3. Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)
    4. Wheat Kings
    5. At The Hundredth Meridian
    6. In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    7. What Blue
    8. Tired As Fuck
    9. PM Intro 1
    10. Machine
    11. Intermission
    12. Music @ Work
    13. Lake Fever
    14. Toronto #4
    15. Putting Down
    16. Twist My Arm
    17. Three Pistols
    18. The Scarf Made Out Of 2 Socks
    19. Fiddler's Green
    20. Little Bones
    21. The Last Of The Unplucked Gems
    22. Something On
    23. Poets
    24. Bobcaygeon
    25. Fireworks
    26. Encore Break 1
    27. New Orleans Is Sinking
    28. Boots Or Hearts
    29. Blow At High Dough
    30. Encore Break 2 (PM Intro 2)
    31. Nautical Disaster
    32. Scared
    33. Grace, Too
    34. Encore Break 3
    35. Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
    36. Gift Shop
    37. Ahead By A Century
    38. Outro

On my third listen, headed to a fourth after discovering some typos as I was typing the above list (gotta fix my own labelling), lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited August 2016
    I'll tell ya if there's one video download you want to own from this amazing performance from the Tragically Hip, you gotta check out that 40 gig MKV file. CBCHD did a fantastic job! Even though the broadcast here in Halifax wasn't all that great with many glitches here & there during the performance, this MKV file blows my mind! The quality is amazing!!!
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Hi Demetrios, could you point me in the direction of the 40 gig MKV file that you're speaking of? Have a nice day and week.
    BF89905 said:

Hi Demetrios, could you point me in the direction of the 40 gig MKV file that you're speaking of? Have a nice day and week.

There's one up over @ The Traders Den. So many new accounts were created day's ago to get access to this fantastic video source.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

pearljim said:

Also Road Apples!

Let's not give them too much at once!

This is in the queue at number 2... although Hugh's gonna say, "Wtf? Day For Night, man."

Day For Night is pretty damn awesome! Nautical Disaster. Nautical Disaster.

* I remember Fully Completely playing in everybody's car when it came out. I remember debating everyone which song was the best of the album. I stood firm on 50 Mission Cap... but Courage, Locked in the Trunk of a Car, At the 100th Meridian, and Wheat Kings tested my faith.

When we were planning our weekends... we'd nearly always say we were 'Looking for a Place to Happen'.

Every song. EVERY song... is really good... and if not... then it's awesome.

LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    demetrios said:

BF89905 said:

There's one up over @ The Traders Den. So many new accounts were created day's ago to get access to this fantastic video source.
    Thank you, Demetrios..... be well
  • This news is a bit old already and may have been already mentioned on here, but Ed's shout out to The Hip made the national news in Canada. Most everyone has heard about what Pearl Jam did -- one might say they are trending...and definitely in a positive manner.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/arts/eddie-vedder-gord-downie-tribute-1.3730236

I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • I was heartbroken to be away from my friends missing the last concert. Totally mixed emotions!

Absolutely pumped to be at Pearl Jam, but conflicted on missing a national celebration.

I wore my Hip shirt and sported a small Canadian flag. Walked around Chicago for most of the day leadin up to the show singing random Hip lyrics.

As soon as Ed mentioned what was going on north of the border...the tears were flowing. I don't even think he got 5 words in and I knew what was coming.

I just wanted to feel better about what was happening back home and Ed made that happen by simply acknowledging the event.

He looked right at our two small flags in the pit and we knew it was all ok.

It took me about 3 more songs to wrap my head around it... then I was back in and back in the PJ game.

So many fans wearing shirts, showing support to others. This really is an amazing PJ family...

• This news is a bit old already and may have been already mentioned on here, but Ed's shout out to The Hip made the national news in Canada. Most everyone has heard about what Pearl Jam did -- one might say they are trending...and definitely in a positive manner.
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/arts/eddie-vedder-gord-downie-tribute-1.3730236

It's not old news and this is a great post.
    The Hip has received the "American" boost that everyone here in Canada has been wondering why it took so long.
    Music is deep.
    The Hip could not be recognized any better than this.
    Canadian news stations are being very humble with the recognition from a powerhouse.
    Americans take awhile for good music (and some other things) :smile: to sink in.
    Much like I forget that AMT is usually about America and not where I live.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179

I was heartbroken to be away from my friends missing the last concert. Totally mixed emotions!

Absolutely pumped to be at Pearl Jam, but conflicted on missing a national celebration.

I wore my Hip shirt and sported a small Canadian flag. Walked around Chicago for most of the day leadin up to the show singing random Hip lyrics.

As soon as Ed mentioned what was going on north of the border...the tears were flowing. I don't even think he got 5 words in and I knew what was coming.

I just wanted to feel better about what was happening back home and Ed made that happen by simply acknowledging the event.

He looked right at our two small flags in the pit and we knew it was all ok.

It took me about 3 more songs to wrap my head around it... then I was back in and back in the PJ game.

So many fans wearing shirts, showing support to others. This really is an amazing PJ family...

saw your(?) 2 small flags in one of the clips and then saw someone with a TTH tour shirt front row
    nice of ya'll to represent!!!
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    very classy for ed to recognize the hip. the biggest mistake the hip made in my opinion was their one big shot at the U.S. market back in 1999 when they played snl was they didn't play new orleans is sinking. that would have put them on the map . but to all those out there that haven't heard of them give some of their early albums a listen . you might be quite shocked to what you have missed. these guys were similar to pearl jam in that no interviews, low key and appreciative guys. no bad press. great lyrics and at the early shows lots of improv by gord in songs.