Options

The Unnamed Disaster in Louisiana

cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
edited August 2016 in A Moving Train
According to the National Weather Service the amount of rain dropped on three parishes in Louisiana (25 inches in three days) was a once in 1000 years freak occurence. It is the biggest natural disaster since Hurricane Sandy and sadly has little national/worldwide media coverage. The flooding is far from over. The water is moving from town to town. Some rivers and creeks are over twenty feet above their flood level!

The majority of people affected did not have flood insurance because most of these areas had no recorded floods ever on record.

This post is not a complaint but more of an appeal for help.....

@RedCross tweeted this: #LouisianaFlood relief effort could be largest for #RedCross since Superstorm Sandy. Please text LAFLOODS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Thank you
Post edited by cp3iverson on

Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    good post..
    for a good cause..
    not just good angels can do the weather....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited August 2016
    Edit #2, dammit!
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    classic example is when the devil killed jobs 10 children with a tempest...true facts
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    For fuck's sake, I didn't mean to quote myself.

(blaming it on website "updates" - play along here, Mods)
    hedonist said:

*edited after re-thinking a comment made to another comment.
    So,

OP, thank you. This has been a month of donations from my sweetheart and I, for various reasons to various recipients. Shall do this as well.

Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options

According to the National Weather Service the amount of rain dropped on three parishes in Louisiana (25 inches in three days) was a once in 1000 years freak occurence. It is the biggest natural disaster since Hurricane Sandy and sadly has little national/worldwide media coverage. The flooding is far from over. The water is moving from town to town. Some rivers and creeks are over twenty feet above their flood level!

The majority of people affected did not have flood insurance because most of these areas had no recorded floods ever on record.

This post is not a complaint but more of an appeal for help.....

@RedCross tweeted this: #LouisianaFlood relief effort could be largest for #RedCross since Superstorm Sandy. Please text LAFLOODS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Thank you

were you trying to requote this hedo ??
    done...
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Having just went through flooding here in october, I have an idea what they're going through. It's so hard to see people losing everything like that. One positive is seeing all of the selfless acts people are doing to save lives. That guy that pulled a woman and her dog from a car that was underwater is inspiring and heroic.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Build in a swamp...
  • Options
    unsung said:

Build in a swamp...

Yea, it's their own damn fault.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Yeah, no common sense.
  • Options
    Unsung, i never forgot a woman in NYC who made a similar comment in an AP article about a past hurricane. "It's their own fault. They choose to live there." A month later Superstorm Sandy hit her region.

This rain would have had the same devastating effect on any region with creeks or small rivers. Swamps had nothing to do with this and river levels were actually lower than usual before this hit. This freak rain event just happened to hit there. It's three inches more than Seattle gets during their entire rainy season....in just 72 hours

40,000 families with flooded homes, my friend. Maybe about 2,000 of them lived near a "swamp".
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this ... is ... global warming ...

this post is aimed at everyone who still does not consider this to be the biggest threat to life on the planet today, tomorrow and in the future ...
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    unsung said:

Yeah, no common sense.

Dude, thanks for opening my eyes to that. Hey, you hear that everyone from south Texas to FL, we need to move because someone smarter said so. I guess we should all go to the upper east coast and live. Oh, but wait, they have blizzards and hurricanes too. Well crap, I guess we should all pack up the whole east and southern people now and move to the west coast. Wait, you mean they have droughts and wild fires and earthquakes? Well shit. I guess every person in any of those areas needs to move to the middle of the country. Sure, we'll have to dodge the occasional tornado or dust storm, but other than that and the overcrowding we'll be free from natural disasters.
    The good news is, since I guess I'm moving to Nebraska now I don't have to rebuild, so there's that. The real bitch is, since I lost both my cars I'm gonna have to walk there. At least I don't have a lot to carry huh?
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    Don't think the Midwest doesn't sit on a fault line either.
  • Options
    evenflow said:

unsung said:

Yeah, no common sense.

Dude, thanks for opening my eyes to that. Hey, you hear that everyone from south Texas to FL, we need to move because someone smarter said so. I guess we should all go to the upper east coast and live. Oh, but wait, they have blizzards and hurricanes too. Well crap, I guess we should all pack up the whole east and southern people now and move to the west coast. Wait, you mean they have droughts and wild fires and earthquakes? Well shit. I guess every person in any of those areas needs to move to the middle of the country. Sure, we'll have to dodge the occasional tornado or dust storm, but other than that and the overcrowding we'll be free from natural disasters.
    The good news is, since I guess I'm moving to Nebraska now I don't have to rebuild, so there's that. The real bitch is, since I lost both my cars I'm gonna have to walk there. At least I don't have a lot to carry huh?
    I lived in a flood plain. Guess what, it flooded. Guess what #2, I moved.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    unsung said:

Yeah, no common sense.

He has a point but not expanding on the thought hurts the post

I used to work as a AAA Dispatcher in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans region and Baton Rouge floods easily...any sort of heavy rain for a short amount of time and that city pretty much shuts down...the sewer systems are terrible and obviously living at or below sea level doesn't help

you can't help where you live as there are issues everywhere, but it appears Louisiana suffers from these weather problems often as I can attest to from being attentive to the city, but its a poor/college area so most have no choice

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    Well guess what, I've never flooded before this. My parents old house that was built in the 50's has also never flooded. Guess what happened this time. So please tell me, where did you move that you're immune to freak 1,000 year natural disasters? Get a few beds ready, because me and everybody I know are coming over to your house to crash.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538

Unsung, i never forgot a woman in NYC who made a similar comment in an AP article about a past hurricane. "It's their own fault. They choose to live there." A month later Superstorm Sandy hit her region.

This rain would have had the same devastating effect on any region with creeks or small rivers. Swamps had nothing to do with this and river levels were actually lower than usual before this hit. This freak rain event just happened to hit there. It's three inches more than Seattle gets during their entire rainy season....in just 72 hours

40,000 families with flooded homes, my friend. Maybe about 2,000 of them lived near a "swamp".

I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
    3 years ago I experienced a 1,000 yr flood.
    Many of my neighbors homes were seriously damaged.

Guess I should never have moved to the mountains.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    evenflow said:

Well guess what, I've never flooded before this. My parents old house that was built in the 50's has also never flooded. Guess what happened this time. So please tell me, where did you move that you're immune to freak 1,000 year natural disasters? Get a few beds ready, because me and everybody I know are coming over to your house to crash.

how bad is it for you and yours?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I've lived in NW and NE Indiana. We would get horrific cold and blizzards in the winters and some minor flooding and a constant tornado threat in the summer.

I moved near the coast of South Carolina where we obviously are under the threat of a hurricane 8 months out of the year. Africa hot summers. It's on the same fault line that destroyed Haiti a few years back. And in October we had one of those 1000 year flooding events.

So where should I go next? Where is it safe from natural disasters? Where can I possibly go so that people like unsung won't criticize me for being too stupid to move away from natural disasters?
  • Options

I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
    3 years ago I experienced a 1,000 yr flood.
    Many of my neighbors homes were seriously damaged.

Guess I should never have moved to the mountains.
    Let me know when Louisiana is in a 1000 year flood plain.

• Options
    evenflow said:

Louisiana isn't experiencing a 1000 year disaster. I think you don't understand what 1000 year disasters mean.
  • Options
    Getting derailed because of an attention seeker......donate to the Red Cross or elsewhere if you can. The water is still rising in areas. That's all. Thank you.
  • Options
    unsung said:

evenflow said:

Louisiana isn't experiencing a 1000 year disaster. I think you don't understand what 1000 year disasters mean.
    Well according the NWS

The Louisiana Flood of 2016 was triggered by a complicated, slow-moving low-pressure weather system that dumped as much as two feet of rain on parts of East Baton Rouge, Livingston and St. Helena parishes in 48 hours. The record two-day rainfall in those areas had a 0.1 percent chance of occurring in any year, the equivalent of a "1,000-year rain", according to the Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center, based at the Slidell office of the National Weather Service.

Someone's not quite as smart as they think. But I'm done arguing about it. I've got way more important things to worry about than some troll. I just came here to get away from all of it for a minute.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

evenflow said:

I've got 1' in the house and both of my cars were submerged. The crazy thing was it happened so fast. I was at work when the rain started and left when I got a call that it was getting bad. By the time i got home it was already in. Pretty much my whole town of Denham Springs is a total loss. This is way worse for this area than Katrina or Gustav was. Plus it was really unexpected not like a hurricane where we have days to prepare. I've lived here my whole life and never seen anything like this.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    evenflow said:

unsung said:

evenflow said:

Well according the NWS

The Louisiana Flood of 2016 was triggered by a complicated, slow-moving low-pressure weather system that dumped as much as two feet of rain on parts of East Baton Rouge, Livingston and St. Helena parishes in 48 hours. The record two-day rainfall in those areas had a 0.1 percent chance of occurring in any year, the equivalent of a "1,000-year rain", according to the Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center, based at the Slidell office of the National Weather Service.

Someone's not quite as smart as they think. But I'm done arguing about it. I've got way more important things to worry about than some troll. I just came here to get away from all of it for a minute.
    The National Weather Service is part of the govt.
    Can't trust the govt.
    D'uh :dizzy:
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, evenflow. May you and your family (and pets, if any) keep as safe and dry as possible.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

In one part of the country we have fire tornados with a lack of rain then in another far too much rain in Louisana. Stay safe everyone.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    evenflow said:

mickeyrat said:

evenflow said:

I've got 1' in the house and both of my cars were submerged. The crazy thing was it happened so fast. I was at work when the rain started and left when I got a call that it was getting bad. By the time i got home it was already in. Pretty much my whole town of Denham Springs is a total loss. This is way worse for this area than Katrina or Gustav was. Plus it was really unexpected not like a hurricane where we have days to prepare. I've lived here my whole life and never seen anything like this.
    My thoughts are with you, your family and everyone else impacted by this. I cannot even imagine how hard this must be.

It's a time for empathy and help if you can give it unsung. Pretty sure this is a good time for Ed's rule "don't be an asshole"
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    evenflow said:

mickeyrat said:

evenflow said:

stay safe out there! thoughts with you and everyone in the area

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    A co-worker of mine moved to LA I dunno with in the past year or so and was involved in this flood. She has flood insurance but it's only structural - she lost everything. Insurance covers zero contents so.....

She has a family of 6 they are all safe! Wahooo! But have nothing. And have to start over.

She too said it happened fast.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.