Options

The Unnamed Disaster in Louisiana

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    evenflow said:

mickeyrat said:

evenflow said:

Well guess what, I've never flooded before this. My parents old house that was built in the 50's has also never flooded. Guess what happened this time. So please tell me, where did you move that you're immune to freak 1,000 year natural disasters? Get a few beds ready, because me and everybody I know are coming over to your house to crash.

how bad is it for you and yours?
    I've got 1' in the house and both of my cars were submerged. The crazy thing was it happened so fast. I was at work when the rain started and left when I got a call that it was getting bad. By the time i got home it was already in. Pretty much my whole town of Denham Springs is a total loss. This is way worse for this area than Katrina or Gustav was. Plus it was really unexpected not like a hurricane where we have days to prepare. I've lived here my whole life and never seen anything like this.
    Wow, evenflow, sorry you're dealing with this. I hope you and your family are safe. I can't imagine what your community is going through right now. It sounds devastating. Good luck!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2016
    Best of luck to you and your family evenflow. Your town took the worst hit of all of them
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    So people post to condemn people for living in areas where disasters happen , damn you guys a have all the answers !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,870
    unsung said:

Yeah, no common sense.

11 dead.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Worse than Katrina, yet not half the publicity as the Rio Olympics??
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Sorry, I got my information here.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5731916
  • Options
    unsung said:

So the folks who live in Frisco have be idiots to live there , just waiting for the big one to hit ..
  • Options

unsung said:

So the folks who live in Frisco have be idiots to live there , just waiting for the big one to hit ..
    Assumed, inherent risk.

That's not to say we can't feel badly for misfortune when misfortune hits though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    The Huffington post?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

unsung said:

Assumed, inherent risk.

That's not to say we can't feel badly for misfortune when misfortune hits though.
    I agree , I feel bad for folks who lost everything ...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

The Huffington post?

I was trying to blend in.

http://www.businessinsider.com/louisianas-coast-is-sinking-2014-9
  • Options
    edited August 2016

unsung said:

Assumed, inherent risk.

I really do as well. But what happens after next time? Most private insurance companies won't offer coverage after an incident in a flood zone.

I once had two feet of water in my childhood home, we ended up moving out. About two years ago it flooded again, and it has sat abandoned since. Now you have an unmaintained house turning into an environmental disaster.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    Does anyone actually read their insurance fine writings?
    99.9% have "acts of god" not covered - sorry to burst your bubble but a freak flood is considered this.
    Also be on the lookout if your local weather starts saying things like "storm surge in local areas" instead of heavy rain - most insurance companies have written in caveats that don't insure against storm "surges"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Born, raised and living in earthquake country. No insurance for it either, ie, contents covered through regular homeowner's insurance but you have to have a separate policy specifically for quakes (which we don't).

What are you going to do? Natural disasters hit everywhere, and there's only so much you can do as a relatively little human being.

I wouldn't move to the base of a volcano, though.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Assumed, inherent risk.

I really do as well. But what happens after next time? Most private insurance companies won't offer coverage after an incident in a flood zone.

I once had two feet of water in my childhood home, we ended up moving out. About two years ago it flooded again, and it has sat abandoned since. Now you have an unmaintained house turning into an environmental disaster.
    I hear you , my house got hit by a 60 foot oak during Sandy didn't demolish it but did enough damage 1bedroom 1bath 1chimney wiped out , still live here now I shiver at the thought of high winds or storms ..
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    So Bush got hammered for the handling of Katrina, what about Obama golfing and being in Martha's Vineyard while people are suffering in this disaster?

Get these people some help!
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    pjalive21 said:

So Bush got hammered for the handling of Katrina, what about Obama golfing while people are suffering in this disaster?

For consistency sake, I agree with you. But in reality I wish presidents would stay the fuck away from any of these things. While they may offer some comfort to the citizens on some metaphysical level, they really don't do anything other than fuck up traffic (air and land) with their security measures. Stay home but send appropriate best wishes, funding and personnel.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,586
    edited August 2016
    pjalive21 said:

So Bush got hammered for the handling of Katrina, what about Obama golfing and being in Martha's Vineyard while people are suffering in this disaster?

I thought people were pissed at Bush because of the whole FEMA debacle, not just because of what he happened to be doing in the days following the disaster. If FEMA had responded properly to the disaster and stuff like women being raped in the sports arena mess and people being stranded on roofs for days on end hadn't happened, then nobody would have given a shit what Bush was up to. Are there people holed up in a fucked up arena and getting raped in LA? Is there a dead man in a wheelchair sitting out on the sidewalk downtown for 2 days? Are there people starving and dehydrating on top of their houses? If so, then yeah, Obama deserves attack. If not, and if the disaster is being managed on some reasonable level, then it doesn't matter.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ultimately I believe these things should be handled by the Governors of the state but he is getting a free pass by not doing anything. A LA newspaper has ripped Obama and rightfully so for not even addressing this

I mean someone in LA could look like his son enough to address the people of LA like he addresses all the cop shootings. Being on vacation and yucking it up on vacation if anything is a bad PR move and looks bad to the people of LA
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    I personally never criticize leaders for being on vacation unless they take ridiculous amounts of it. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be addressed. The POTUS is only human. They need vacations too, or else they would all have mental breakdowns halfway through their first terms. There are limits obviously (and Bush Jr managed to exceed those limits). It seems to me that everything that can be done in LA is being done, and Obama couldn't help it in any way at all and he knows it. Bad PR? What does he care? He's not running for office anymore.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

First of all, the scope of these floods are not near the scope of Hurricane katrina. Second, FEMA, as far as I know, is not involved. The American red Cross is dealing with much of the help going out to the victims. George Bush got hammered because FEMA was not doing thier job. People were waiting weeks, sometimes months for aid that FEMA was supposed to be providing. Comparing 2 different events that are barely comparable.
  • Options
    declared as a federal disaster area within a day? releasing federal dollars to put things in motion.
    what more without an assessment of need and prioritization of that need should be done?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

pjalive21 said:

First of all, the scope of these floods are not near the scope of Hurricane katrina. Second, FEMA, as far as I know, is not involved. The American red Cross is dealing with much of the help going out to the victims. George Bush got hammered because FEMA was not doing thier job. People were waiting weeks, sometimes months for aid that FEMA was supposed to be providing. Comparing 2 different events that are barely comparable.
    FEMA is already stationed down there so its already on a federal scale

Secondly, Trump will be there Friday looking more presidential than our own president now...now when Trump is making better decisions than you there is a problem

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2016
    didnt grow up in Louisiana. Only been a resident since my late 20's. Louisiana gets in your soul like no other place ive ever lived. It absolutely has it's struggles but damn theres no other state like it. Such a unique place.

Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs said it best in regards to tragedies in LA: "Louisiana is not just where i live-- It's a friend and you're there for your friends during the bad times, not just the good times"

Aa far as Obama goes im disappointed that he hasnt at least had a press conference on it. Or even a tweet. He's better PR-wise than this. He had time for a fundraiser on Sunday where tickets were $10k a seat. Also had time for golf with retired NBA stars the next day. Again having the President at least acknowledge such a massive tragedy would be nice but it hasnt stopped the progress.

Edit: he will be here on Tuesday. Just announced. I dont care if its due to the outrage. It helps having your leaders. Its a confidence boost to people sometimes and it probably helps him understand the scope of this. This is MASSIVE destruction.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Secondly, Trump will be there Friday looking more presidential than our own president now...now when Trump is making better decisions than you there is a problem

Pretending trump looks presidential is laughable.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's a complete joke, lol. I just can't fucking believe him showing up there is actually working the way he wanted it to work, hahaha. Oh my, sometimes I struggle to maintain my hope for society!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    I haven't seen Treyert post on here in a while. He lives down there. I lived down there. Beautiful country.

I'm donating, you should too. Put your politics aside and do something please.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, that's a complete joke, lol. I just can't fucking believe him showing up there is actually working the way he wanted it to work, hahaha. Oh my, sometimes I struggle to maintain my hope for society!

Sometimes it just works that way, in this case seems to be well deserved.
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

pjalive21 said:

Never mind the Gov also suggested the pres stay away until a week or so has passed because of the disruption a visit causes.

Look at the practical and think logically.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    He handed a box of playdoh to Pence, what a hero he is!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?