Tragically Hip Aug 20

Comments

• pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Gtilley8 said:

Eh, I never said anything bad about TH. I just think it's rude as hell to jump on a band's site and request that they play songs from other bands at their show. If I came off as too brash with that, I apologize.

I guess no more requests for:

Sonic Reducer
    Baba O'Riley
    RITFW
    I've Got A Feeling
    Better Things
    Devil Doll
    Love Reign
    Leavin' Here
    Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary
    I Believe In Miracles

shall I go on?
    The difference is Ed's voice translates well to those songs and those songs are all by their idols or with other covers they run in the same circle. PJ and the hip don't run in the same circle and nor will they ever. If PJ haven't covered a hip song in the years they've been touring Canadian, they won't do it now. Maybe Ed will say a get well to Gord. Oh and speaking of covers, did you see the video of the band covering Aerosmith at fenway and how little of a reaction the crowd gave?
    PJ don't run in the same circle as the Guess Who either, nor does Ed have anywhere near the same voice as Burton, and they covered them in Saskatoon. Neil has played with the Hip. You're damn skippy the band know who the Hip are.

But either way, the OP was not asking for a cover song at Wrigley, just a shout out.
    "damn skippy" :) Hugh I'm going to have to use that slang!!!!

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited August 2016
    I agree it would be nice if Ed even acknowledged the Hip at Wrigley but I really don't think they will and won't do a cover. If they do I would be astonished and happy but I just don't think this Wrigley show will bring that out. Better chance Ed throwing the ball around with now 100 people in the front row who will bring gloves and also talk about his friend Ernie Banks and his team, the Cubs etc. Pearl Jam are great, nice, generous guys, but I don't think the Hip will come up.

Now, at the Blue Rodeo concert over at the Molson Amp on the 20th, there will be at least a lot of talk/stories about Gord and the Hip from Jim...

macleans.ca/culture/jim-cuddy-celebrates-the-tragically-hip/
    Post edited by Torontonian on
  • Eddie Vedder sang "let It Go" from the Frozen movie in concert. Is a piece of a Tragically Hip song really that much of a stretch?
    BlakAdder said:

Eddie Vedder sang "let It Go" from the Frozen movie in concert. Is a piece of a Tragically Hip song really that much of a stretch?

hahahahahahahaha - forgot about that.

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited August 2016
    BlakAdder said:

Eddie Vedder sang "let It Go" from the Frozen movie in concert. Is a piece of a Tragically Hip song really that much of a stretch?

More people at Wrigley (many Americans and international) will be more familiar with "Let It Go" than they would "The Tragically Hip". Now if this were the "Barenaked Ladies" we were talking about... they hit it much bigger in the States etc.

I prefer The Hip to be more our cherished Canadian institution...
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i'm just very amazed that more pj fans never caught on to this great band. great lyrics , very original sound and change of set lists. i was lucky to have met them 26 years ago and it was just me my wackey girlfriend at the time and them. they couldn't have been nicer. each one. i brought a record store poster to be signed and they all got a big kick out of that and each one got down on the ground to sign it for me. we are losing a real treasure. saw their show in toronto on friday. sad and surreal at the same time. a poet , actor songwriter playing out the last act. odds are small but wheat kings would do it.
    foodboy said:

i'm just very amazed that more pj fans never caught on to this great band. great lyrics , very original sound and change of set lists. i was lucky to have met them 26 years ago and it was just me my wackey girlfriend at the time and them. they couldn't have been nicer. each one. i brought a record store poster to be signed and they all got a big kick out of that and each one got down on the ground to sign it for me. we are losing a real treasure. saw their show in toronto on friday. sad and surreal at the same time. a poet , actor songwriter playing out the last act. odds are small but wheat kings would do it.

I was there Friday - Beautiful! Was at London 4 days earlier and Gord looked real bad so I was glad to see the difference Friday. I too have met the band a few times and they have always been gracious / nice. Seen them 25-30 times in concert and never felt they called it in.

Roberto Clemente.
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Would love to see PJ do a hip cover. Two of my favorate bands
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • I'll be honest, I'll be wearing a Hip jersey at this show but I don't expect a shout out here. The Hip are a very Canadian thing and it wouldn't make sense for Pearl Jam to be giving them any sort of acknowledgement at Wrigley. If The Hip were a band that Pearl Jam associated with or were influenced by that would be one thing but as far as I know there is no real connection between the two bands. Unless Ed actually knows Gord Downie Personally a comment would feel forced.
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075

More people at Wrigley (many Americans and international) will be more familiar with "Let It Go" than they would "The Tragically Hip".

+!

When people talk about music and refer to "Gord" my first, and only, thought is Gordon Lightfoot. Just never got any exposure to the Tragically Hip. Seen the name in print, but not so much heard the music.
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    august 20th.... what a awesome day, a day i married my amazing and beautiful wife and best friend of 11 years, and a day we get to reflect back on past memories together...and a day we also get to say thank you to an amazing band and an amazing poet. Thank you TTH and Mr. Gord Downie!
    for my wife:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_XrUd0YfI

Be with you all on the 20th Hip fans!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2016
    BlakAdder said:

I guess the saying "never hurts to ask" does not apply here. Holy Fuck.

Right?!
    People are just talking, lol. It's okay.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    edited August 2016
    Like many other Hip fans, I've been sporadically playing their full studio albums throughout my home since the announcement of Downie's illness. The band has so many good songs! I was unable to get a single ticket to any of the Toronto shows and Hamilton, so friends and I will be having a get together on Saturday for the nationally televised concert. It's a celebration of the band's music, but it's also upsetting, and very emotional for the band, their families, friends, and fans.
    The situation unfolding reminds me of the book: Tuesdays with Morrie.
    Have a nice week everyone and be safe. I hope the Wrigley shows are as awesome as the Fenway Park shows were - so glad I made the trip from Toronto.
    edited August 2016
    BF89905 said:

Like many other Hip fans, I've been sporadically playing their full studio albums throughout my home since the announcement of Downie's illness. The band has so many good songs! I was unable to get a single ticket to any of the Toronto shows and Hamilton, so friends and I will be having a get together on Saturday for the nationally televised concert. It's a celebration of the band's music, but it's also upsetting, and very emotional for the band, their families, friends, and fans.
    The situation unfolding reminds me of the book: Tuesdays with Morrie.
    Have a nice week everyone and be safe. I hope the Wrigley shows are as awesome as the Fenway Park shows were - so glad I made the trip from Toronto.

I wil have to watch it the day after but part of me will be in Kingston! I almost decided to skip Wrigley and go to Kingston with no tix - it was a tough decision.
    Post edited by pearljim on

Roberto Clemente.
  • StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Gtilley8 said:

pearljim said:

I do not ask for much but if the greatest American Band could do a little shout out to the Greatest Canadian band on Aug 20th - well it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dude, this TH stuff is getting real played out on here. I sure as hell don't want to go see PJ and hear anything to do with the tragically hip. Judging by the responses you've gotten, or lack there of, no one else does either. If you really want to see one of their songs, maybe you should have gotten tickets to their show.
    Hands down this guy is the biggest clown on here
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Gtilley8 said:

pearljim said:

I do not ask for much but if the greatest American Band could do a little shout out to the Greatest Canadian band on Aug 20th - well it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dude, this TH stuff is getting real played out on here. I sure as hell don't want to go see PJ and hear anything to do with the tragically hip. Judging by the responses you've gotten, or lack there of, no one else does either. If you really want to see one of their songs, maybe you should have gotten tickets to their show.
    Generally I don't bother responding to request threads, whether I agree or disagree with the request. But your tone is obnoxious, and your statement is false. I'd love to see this tribute.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Glad you got what you wished for, OP
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    I felt very proud to be a Canadian in Wrigley GA tonight! Was a really nice tribute to Gord, a nice tie in with their mutual connection, and time spent together, and a really lovely shout out for Gord's strength and will to take his band out for one more tour. How much more badass rock n roll can you get? Despite all odds, he was determined to give the people one more go.

I feel like the whole PJ band respected that, and made damn sure it was acknowledged tonight. There were many people wearing Hip shirts in the audience. After seeing them in July in Vancouver, it was hard not to get teared up at the gesture by PJ. Wishing for all the best for Gord and his extended family in coming time.

Great thread OP!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Classy move, Ed. Classy move.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pearljim said:

Thank you

It came as no surprise at all that the greatest American Band dedicated Light Years to Gord and the greatest Canadian band on the occasion of the last Hip concert. Ed and Pearl Jam are the pure definition of class and compassion. Well done and thank you!
    I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • I know how fans sound when they push their bands on other people. Phish fans continue to tell me Phish rocks.

And I always try to keep that in perspective. But I can't... for the life of me... wonder how someone with an ear for PJ cannot dig the Hip.

Seriously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Congrats dude! We were @ Halifax's Grand Parade last night watching the Hip show. It was fantastic!
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736

I know how fans sound when they push their bands on other people. Phish fans continue to tell me Phish rocks.

And I always try to keep that in perspective. But I can't... for the life of me... wonder how someone with an ear for PJ cannot dig the Hip.

Seriously.

I am Canadian. I love Pearl Jam, but merely like the Hip.

Glad to read about the shout-out, but "Light Years" seemed a tad premature -- Gord ain't dead yet!!

Watched what I could of the Tragically Hip show last night and it was awesome.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited August 2016

pearljim said:

Thank you

It came as no surprise at all that the greatest American Band dedicated Light Years to Gord and the greatest Canadian band on the occasion of the last Hip concert. Ed and Pearl Jam are the pure definition of class and compassion. Well done and thank you!
    +1
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I've heard of the Tragically Hip over the years but I've never really been exposed to them. Last night I was very impressed. Can completely understand the appeal.

Very thankful the CBC made that show available internationally. It might have been a national celebration but it became a worldwide event. Well done.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Light Years shout out. Poignant moment.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I agree it would be nice if Ed even acknowledged the Hip at Wrigley but I really don't think they will and won't do a cover. If they do I would be astonished and happy but I just don't think this Wrigley show will bring that out. Better chance Ed throwing the ball around with now 100 people in the front row who will bring gloves and also talk about his friend Ernie Banks and his team, the Cubs etc. Pearl Jam are great, nice, generous guys, but I don't think the Hip will come up.

Now, at the Blue Rodeo concert over at the Molson Amp on the 20th, there will be at least a lot of talk/stories about Gord and the Hip from Jim...

macleans.ca/culture/jim-cuddy-celebrates-the-tragically-hip/

I eat my words. I know in my heart and gut how classy Ed and PJ are. I should have went with that.

All class PJ... This is why my favourite 2 bands on this planet are Pearl Jam and The Tragically Hip.
  • JimmyV said:

I've heard of the Tragically Hip over the years but I've never really been exposed to them. Last night I was very impressed. Can completely understand the appeal.

Very thankful the CBC made that show available internationally. It might have been a national celebration but it became a worldwide event. Well done.

Jimmy V...

How ya been?

Go get yourself Fully Completely... get some headphones... stretch the old legs out... place a view within your line of sight... and enjoy!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    THANK YOU ED! THANK YOU PJ!

Nothing but tears - thank you

Roberto Clemente.
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Well done eddie. Class act
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016