Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052

my2hands said:

I thought it was a perfect setlist...

I thought it was a perfect night...

I thought it was a perfect show...

I don't know what the fuck some of you folks are talking about

Ditto ditto !!
    This was the best weather I've had at one of the outdoor shows I've gone. It was perfect in terms of temperature and the nice breeze coming by left field at times.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • belthookbelthook Bergen County, NJ Posts: 98
    Btw, did anyone else see the guy who jumped the barrier near the 3rd base dugout and run the bases in the infield. From where I was sitting all you saw was a shadow rounding 3rd heading for home and he made it back to 2nd base before security got to him.
    • 2022: 02/06/22 NJ PAC (EV & Earthlings), 09/11/22 MSG, 09/14/22 Camden
    • 2021: 09/18/21 Asbury Park
    • 2018: 09/02/18 Fenway Park
    • 2016: 08/05/16 Fenway Park, 05/02/16 MSG, 05/01/16 MSG
    • 2013:10/18/13 Barclay's, 10/19/13 Barclay's
    • 2010: 05/21/10 MSG, 05/20/10 MSG
    • 2008: 08/07/08 NJ PAC (EV Solo), 6/25/08 MSG
    • 2006: 06/03/06 Continental Airlines Arena, 06/01/06 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 2003: 07/14/03 PNC, 07/09/03 MSG, 07/08/03 MSG
    • 1998: 09/08/98 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 1996: 10/02/96 Dodge Music Center

• Had a blast at Fenway 1. Masters of War into Fast Patriot was one of the coolest things I've seen them do this year in a Spring/Summer of really cool things.
  • For months I have been unwilling to accept not going to this show, so Thursday night I found a train ticket from MD and got my ass up to Boston. My ticket ended up being obstructed view and I hated being distracted wondering if I could move somewhere else so I just made the decision to go down to the front row seat immediately next to the first base dugout and and see how long they would let me sit there before making me leave (they had closed that section for some reason). Since my friends were over in right field, I ended up watching the first half sorta by myself (until others finally realized the seats were actually pretty good and eventually filled in the whole section). Obviously my 1st choice would always be to jump around with the other diehards but it was a surprisingly surreal feeling experiencing the masterpiece that was the opening set with what felt like just me and the band. Maybe I cried during Release, maybe I didn't, we'll never know for sure. Conclusion: best band of all time playing in the best stadium with the best weather and the best fans. This was one of *those* moments that you live for.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    At the after two killer shows. 60 unique songs...tremendous. You can mark me down as someone that thinks the crowd in the grandstand was a bit subdued. I have not read this whole thread so unsure whether it's been suggested but perhap Corduroy was added because the crowd was not into the quiet songs or even Life Wasted and Corduroy can bring it back in betteothan Unthought Known.

In any case it was a marvelous show with a great mix of faves and surprises. I was pumped to hear Long Road. While show 2 was better overall, McCready was an animal on Even Flow that night. Any complaints about this show are the nitpickings of the spoiled.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • belthook said:

Btw, did anyone else see the guy who jumped the barrier near the 3rd base dugout and run the bases in the infield. From where I was sitting all you saw was a shadow rounding 3rd heading for home and he made it back to 2nd base before security got to him.

Where I was seated, on the wall in Field Box 81...I couldn't actually see the infield after the field seats filled up, but had a good view of the common area in down the 3rd base line and left field...the drink lines were wrapping back in front of us. So lots of security, EMS, fans walking all around. At one point during the concert I saw about 4-5 security guys full out sprint in the direction of the infield and jump a barrier...whereas before when they were shuttling other "characters" out of they weren't moving near that fast. After seeing them take off I turned to my wife and said I'd put money down that someone just ran onto the infield. Glad my suspicion was confirmed. Thrill of a lifetime I suppose for whoever it was, running the bases at Fenway...then spending the night in the friendly confides of a drunk tank? Check those two items off the bucket list.
    Boston, MA - Fenway (1) 8.4.16
    Philadelphia, PA - WFC (2) 4.29.16
    Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theater(EV Solo) 6.25.11
    Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum (4) 10.31.09
    Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center (2) 5.28.06
    State College, PA - BJC 5.03.03
  • actonplpactonplp Maine Posts: 173
    live5611 said:

belthook said:

Where I was seated, on the wall in Field Box 81...I couldn't actually see the infield after the field seats filled up, but had a good view of the common area in down the 3rd base line and left field...the drink lines were wrapping back in front of us. So lots of security, EMS, fans walking all around. At one point during the concert I saw about 4-5 security guys full out sprint in the direction of the infield and jump a barrier...whereas before when they were shuttling other "characters" out of they weren't moving near that fast. After seeing them take off I turned to my wife and said I'd put money down that someone just ran onto the infield. Glad my suspicion was confirmed. Thrill of a lifetime I suppose for whoever it was, running the bases at Fenway...then spending the night in the friendly confides of a drunk tank? Check those two items off the bucket list.
    Wow, I was just to the left of home plate & somehow missed all that action. Maybe it was after I got a contact high from the stoners in front of me, who lit one after another (LOL).
    Aug. 05, 2016 - Fenway Park, Boston
    Oct. 15, 2013 - Worcester, Massachusetts
  • Poncier said:

So damn good.
    Oh and Ed, Reggie White never played CF for the Red Sox, you're thinking of Reggie Smith. ;)

Or Darrell Evans it was Dwight
  • jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    OnWis97 said:

At the after two killer shows. 60 unique songs...tremendous. You can mark me down as someone that thinks the crowd in the grandstand was a bit subdued. I have not read this whole thread so unsure whether it's been suggested but perhap Corduroy was added because the crowd was not into the quiet songs or even Life Wasted and Corduroy can bring it back in betteothan Unthought Known.

In any case it was a marvelous show with a great mix of faves and surprises. I was pumped to hear Long Road. While show 2 was better overall, McCready was an animal on Even Flow that night. Any complaints about this show are the nitpickings of the spoiled.

Best part of this show for me was the double of Greivance and I am Mine. Great tunes. Still giggling about the Matt screw-up on Greivance. Release, G2F, SOLAT great too. Enjoyed Strangest Tribe. Wish they would shelve MYM in favor of another LB tune sometimes, ideally Infallible or Getaway. Same with DTE, good song but IMO not every night. There are so many good songs from Binarual, Riot Act, and Avacado but they barely touch em. All told my beefs are minor this was a great show and i had a blast. The guy I was sitting next to was kind of a tool though.
  • jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    Forgot to mention the highlight of my pre-show, getting to meet Jim Jamily! Jim you got your Sleeping by Myself! Woohoo! See ya in Chicago pal!
  • SL6005SL6005 Charlotte, NC Posts: 19
    Has anyone come across a video of Sleeping By Myself from night #1? i've seen lot of other night #1 videos on youtube but haven't found a stand-alone Sleeping By Myself yet. If you have, please share the post.
    1994 - Boston #1
    1996 - Randall's Island #1
    1998 - Camden #1, Camden #2
    2003 - Oklahoma City
    2008 - Columbia
    2013 - Charlotte, Seattle
    2016 - Greenville (the Vs. show!), Columbia, Fenway #1, Fenway #2
    2020 - Baltimore, Nashville
    2022 - Nashville
    2024 - Baltimore, Philly #1
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    Had a great time Friday night. Though it is amazing just how big the field is when you are sitting on it, lol. Did not have a great view only 10 rows back in B3 but video on the screens was excellent. Sound was incredible!!! Saw Foo Fighters last summer at Fenway and sound was terrible. I was in the Grandstands for that though, so might have been the cause. Was not expecting good sound, but was blown away at how good it was.

Great opening set, a mixed back in the 1st encore, thought it lacked flow and was a little slow. I feel they played too many covers. If they had to cut songs, which it looks like due to the setlist, should have cut comfortably numb and Teenage wasteland and played Red Misquito lukin and Indifference instead. Would much rather see their songs. Loved getting incredible versions of Masters of War and Patriot. I think I saw 4 songs I had not seen live in the past 13 shows I attended so that was cool.

Overall a great day. Went to my favorite ballpark in my favorite city to see my favorite band. And visited my favorite brewery (Trillium) to boot. Wont forget the night.
  • First of all thanks to Pearl Jam, Tim Bierman & most especially the Ten Club! I was lucky enough to be one of the 4 lucky winners in the Ten Club contest. I watched the show from inside a suite at the top of Fenway. Was I closest to the band? Nope...actually we may have been the farthest away. But the view was amazing most especially during Black. Ten Club treated all of the winners & guests like kings & queens providing a ton of food & drink and all the space we could want in the suite. And for those who have wondered the answer is yeah...Tim Bierman is a ridiculously cool guy and I want to thank him for spending a bit of his time with us.

Highlights for me:
    - The first 6 songs.
    - Black. One of the best versions that I have personally seen. I was lucky enough to see Bronson Arroyo play Black with Ed on his solo tour in Orlando in 2012 and seeing him play with the entire band was like seeing a circle completed.
    - Strangest Tribe & I've Got a Feeling. Extraordinary treats.
    - Comfortably Numb. Mike is just silly good.
    - Draw The Line - Nice Boston tie-in. The band covered it very well. I would have loved to have heard them cover Train Kept A Rollin. They'd have killed it I believe...

Met some great people in the merch lines too. A lot of people complain about the merchandise situation as it as been for the last couple of tours. The complaints I have seen are valid: The lines are long, there are flippers present, merchandise sells out, etc. All true. But for me..to spend some time with other fans...other crazy-ass fans...and swap stories about previous shows and talk about what we hope to see during the upcoming show makes the time go fast.

I wish those who are going to Wrigley as good of an experience as I had at Fenway. And I wish you all good weather too...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Hey, caught-a-bolt, you just summed up why I had no problem doing the merch lines at Wrigley for over 4 hours in '13: hanging out w/ fellow ten clubbers is usually a blast. I love meeting people from all over the country at these shows, and that experience alone made waiting in that line worthwhile to me.
  • UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    I teared up 4 times night 1 and 5 times night 2.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited August 2016
    UNH1995 said:

My wife was sobbing not even 5 seconds into Release. This music is so powerful.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    PJNB said:

UNH1995 said:

My wife was sobbing not even 5 seconds into Release. .
    You shouldn't have been standing on her foot.

;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    This was such a great concert. Masters of War - full band, electric, and with Vedder's belief in the lyrics coming through so well, made this one of the many highlights for me. I've heard it a couple times on SiriusXM since and it still is awesome. Can't wait for the bootlegs from these two shows to be released :)
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Pearl Jam didn't come to Europe this year, so I travelled to the USA to see them instead.
    I'm glad I did.
    If I had gone to just this show it would have been enough for the air fare, add in night two - special.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • MYMMYM Austin, TX Posts: 180
    edited August 2016
    This was my first show.
    Before the show, we went down near Fenway hoping to grab a bite to eat. It was Cuh-RAZY down there! Only place with a reasonable wait was this place called Sal's. Ordered food and stood around hoping for a table to open up. Rather than wait, I asked if we could sit with a couple (can't remember their names). Great conversation, and when they left, a couple of guys asked to sit down (Mike and Brad, if you're there, wassup?). Awesome time hanging out with some fans hearing stories of past concerts.
    Seats were in 161, row HH - near the Monster.
    The show was amazing! Personally, I was in the "too many covers" camp, but probably because I wasn't as familiar with all of the songs. That said, one of my favorite things was the overall excitement, and as a quick read of this thread will show, many were loving the covers, and I was loving the overall energy.
    Highlights for me were Small Town, Low Light, Down (it was on my list of songs I didn't expect, but hoped to hear), Comfortably Numb (that was SO good, I'd buy the bootleg just for that), and Baba at the end.
    I wish I could have heard Indifference, but the concert was really everything I could have hoped for...... that is until night 2 (off to post in there)

My big takeaway was that Mike was otherworldly. I have a handful of bootlegs, with guitar solos that were impressive, but there were 3-4 in this night that blew my mind. In that regard, I thought this night was better than Night 2.
    Post edited by MYM on
    Fenway 1 - 8/5/16
    Fenway 2 - 8/7/16
    Seattle 1 - 8/8/18
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    Mike McCready was on friggin on fire night 1. I got chills listening to him play comfortably numb. Unbelievable.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This was honestly one of my favorite PJ shows I've ever been to---everything added up for me. Great set, great seats, great weather, great atmosphere, great company, great city, great park (and this is coming from a born-and-raised Yankee fan!). Sometimes, for a show, it just all comes together for a magical night. It was a just a show that completely clicked for me, and I don't know if I've been happier, for sure, at least, this past year. 3rd row on the 1st base line for my 447 number, could not have been more thrilled.

Release>Long Road was an emotional and amazing way to start. It will be 4 years next month since I lost my father, something that still weighs heavy on me. It was cathartic to hear those in a row, and I cried a bit during Long Road. I told my bf they should have just done Light Years and Come Back right then, to ensure my emotional destruction :lol: ! All Those Yesterdays song 5? Right then I knew it would be a super special night and we'd be getting really unique sets for these shows. Wasn't sure if it would be more towards greatest hits, or more for us die-hards--I think they did an excellent job of mixing the two. Faithfull>Grievance>I Am Mine>Down was a hell of a run, the first two being some live favorites I hadn't heard in a while. Masters. Of. War. Holy crap!! Easily one of my highlights. What a version, what a treat!! Strangest Tribe, of course incredible to hear. Society was a nice surprise too. Comfortably Numb slays me every single time. It's a song that meant a lot to my dad and I, and seeing my favorite band nail it--amazing. And can we talk about Corduroy?? That was the best version I've ever heard!! Aerosmith cover was pretty cool, even though I had never heard the song before.

And then, I've Got a Feeling--I think that was my highlight of the entire weekend. The story Ed told before was touching, and the performance was the most fun to be in the audience for. I was singing and dancing and smiling just about as big as my face lets me.

Overall I walked away renewed--the feeling you get after an amazing show, and the feeling that we get to do it all over again in 2 days! Thank you, Fenway 1.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    I had the perfect buzz going this show. My favorite part of everything when the jumbo tron showed the band walking onstage from backstage, I just lost it. Both shows were SO different and complimented each other perfectly.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    EB218946 said:

Mike McCready was on friggin on fire night 1. I got chills listening to him play comfortably numb. Unbelievable.

Totally. I was pumped when Eddie said they were borrowing a song from "Roger" and I realized what they were about to play. I still remember watching the 12-12-12 concert, and hearing Eddie's voice on the chorus (massive chills), so to see him take on the whole song was awesome. And, growing up a Floyd fan, David Gilmour is one of my guitar idols, so to see Mike just NAIL the song was unreal. As MYM said, I'd buy the bootleg just for that. Fortunately the rest of the show was awesome, too.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    MP59559 said:

EB218946 said:

Totally. I was pumped when Eddie said they were borrowing a song from "Roger" and I realized what they were about to play. I still remember watching the 12-12-12 concert, and hearing Eddie's voice on the chorus (massive chills), so to see him take on the whole song was awesome. And, growing up a Floyd fan, David Gilmour is one of my guitar idols, so to see Mike just NAIL the song was unreal. As MYM said, I'd buy the bootleg just for that. Fortunately the rest of the show was awesome, too.
    We didn't get to go to night 1 but won tix to see it at HoB the next night. That was fucking amazing! Even just watching it on screen you could feel the energy coming through. I just about died when they played Comfortably Numb as it's one of my all time favorite songs. And got Black, my fave PJ song all in same show. It was like the perfect high. Unforgettable experience!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Hated to lose the songs in Encore 2 but I would trade Lightning Bolt and Unthought Known for SOLAT and Corduroy every time.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I was in absolute heaven a week ago.......gut wrenching music that soothed my oft troubled soul; where every word cleanses my perception with the real world is so truly far way, I was in my good place.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    I think I may have come across as too harsh in my initial thoughts of this show

A week later and I'm still thinking about all the great moments. I still maintain there were issues with setlfow but it was an excellent show, no place on earth I'd rather have been.

Through seeing these guys perform so many awesome, all time great shows, I have built them up on a pedestal that's almost an unfair bar to measure them against themselves.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    I've posted a new compilation video of both shows.
    Check it out here
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    What a great show. This was my first PJ concert and I don't think it could have been any better. I don't know why I waited so long?? I couldn't believe how great they sounded (and the overall sound. I've seen other shows at Fenway and the sound has been awful ). I went Sunday as well.

One minute into hearing them play Release. I got on my phone and bought a ticket to Wrigley. Can't wait!!!