Options

The Pearl Jam Problem: Superfans Have Ruined My Favorite Band (Article)

124»

Comments

• Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,363
    TL170678 said:
    Of course he is. In 94 when Kurt died Eddie said he didn't think being a singer in a band was noble. So he went to learn guitar from Pete Townsend.

He realized the guy with the microphone has a responsibility to try to help people. So that's what he does.

Is he right? Who knows. I'm a republican so I never agree with him, but the dem message at its root is equality and acceptance. And he believes in that.

I think it's totally not realistic to save the world but maybe let the guy try? He earned it.

He doesn't care at all if you like it or agree and that's what it takes to make art. You guys wanting him to stop don't realize if he did he'd lose his fire.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,501
    edited June 2016
    AceCool said:

The author made some valid points but ultimately he came off as a whiny bitch. His insistence on being right up in the very front is a very large contributing factor in his negative experience. It's the nature of the beast that people jockeying for the closest position will do so most aggressively. I like being close but I never feel the need to be close enough to get inadvertently spit on by the singer.

Perhaps he didn't expect it to be so difficult to snag a tambo...

You don't gotta go to work, work, work, work, work, work, work
    But you gotta put in work, work, work, work, work, work, work
    Post edited by 100 Pacer on
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    TL170678 said:
    That guy is a hack. America Attacked? Get real.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hello!

Fits in so many ways tonight, and here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYf3b8_wj4
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited June 2016
    RS65573 said:

Maybe it's because I never had kids or because I'm a little off, but the only thing that can ruin a pj show for me is if my +1 sucks. I'm 41 now but at pj I'm 17 again.

Over 70+ shows, never felt I wasn't part of the wave of fire. If people around me suck I'm pumped enough it doesn't matter or I move.

Even at Uniondale with people next to me throwing things at my hero it was fucking epic. If your having a bad time imagine all those around you who your sucking the life out of. Stay home.

I totally agree. There is nothing worse than being at a show where your +1 just isn't into it when you are, or they get wimpy about the GA pit, caj#TAXI handle standing for 5 hours, sitting down when everyone else is rocking out, etc. This is actually the reason I decided that going to shows alone is just fine and dandy. It hadn't really occurred to me to do that until my friends started getting older and acting OLD. Like OLD people before they were 40. Wtf?? Once that started happening I thought 'fuck this - the strangers around me are way more fun than the friend next to me!'. And then I also learned that you can get way better tickets to most shows if you buy a single instead of a pair, lol (not applicable to 10C tix though... I wish they'd let us just buy singles).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    TL170678 said:
    Seriously? That is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Plus the grammar sucks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited June 2016
    I just don't get these people who queue up all day to just stand there at the rail (more noticeable in USA) . How could you love a band and music that much that you just stand there like a statue and not even bob your head!

Ed's voice I've noticed the last year or 2 has really gone. He runs out of breath so much and struggles to reach a lot of notes. It's been downill since 2006 and it's not his fault as that's age and his job etc but it's not something that should be surprising.

As for the stage, I really don't give a shit about that. Nice to see something difference but has 0 factor on the show!

Fact: People turn into savages at PJ shows...

Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    mickey told ed that roo aint cool anymore cause live nation took it over recently
    then mickey said to do a steve miller and take the money and run
    fuck live nation
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Who is Mickey?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,214
    RS65573 said:

TL170678 said:
    Of course he is. In 94 when Kurt died Eddie said he didn't think being a singer in a band was noble. So he went to learn guitar from Pete Townsend.

He realized the guy with the microphone has a responsibility to try to help people. So that's what he does.

Is he right? Who knows. I'm a republican so I never agree with him, but the dem message at its root is equality and acceptance. And he believes in that.

I think it's totally not realistic to save the world but maybe let the guy try? He earned it.

He doesn't care at all if you like it or agree and that's what it takes to make art. You guys wanting him to stop don't realize if he did he'd lose his fire.
    Great point. Appreciate the openness you support even if you don't agree. We need more of that in this world.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,214
    Brisk. said:

I just don't get these people who queue up all day to just stand there at the rail (more noticeable in USA) . How could you love a band and music that much that you just stand there like a statue and not even bob your head!

Ed's voice I've noticed the last year or 2 has really gone. He runs out of breath so much and struggles to reach a lot of notes. It's been downill since 2006 and it's not his fault as that's age and his job etc but it's not something that should be surprising.

As for the stage, I really don't give a shit about that. Nice to see something difference but has 0 factor on the show!

Fact: People turn into savages at PJ shows...

Agree on the consistency of his voice these days. It can be really hit or miss and back-to-back shows are killer. I do, however; think he has delivered some of his best performances of songs since 2009. You just have to track them down. Especially the end of the 2013 tour. I really wish they'd do some longer tours because it seems to build his vocal strength and stamina as the tour progresses. The middle of the 2000 and 2003 tours have some awesome performances.

It's the one off shows (festivals) that suffer the most because there's a lot of rust. Wrigley and Boston would be better vocal shows if they were in the middle of the tour. Still a great time either way.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i havent been to a show in quite some time (not by choice really), but does Ed still drink like 3 bottles of wine per show? if so, i'd say that might be the root cause of a lot of the complaints people have about the band.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    If you want to complain about the show and don't like going anymore because times change, then stay the fuck home and quit pissing in our sandbox...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    ^^^^the problem. Calm down. We all love the band. We all pay to be here. It's just that some of us want better. Sometimes the only way to get that is to demand it
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    my2hands said:

Who is Mickey?

there is only one ;)

16. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    (“This one goes out a guy named Mickey Hart” (almost certainly a reference to the Grateful Dead drummer. The Dead And Friends are playing Bonnaroo the night after Pearl Jam)
    17. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) { Ed plays piano on Boom’s riser. Ed thanks Roger Waters for letting them borrow the song on a special night. }
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    vaggar99 said:

^^^^the problem. Calm down. We all love the band. We all pay to be here. It's just that some of us want better. Sometimes the only way to get that is to demand it

Wasn't commenting to you directly. Sorry dude. Just trying to be a smartass... And tired of complaining in life. Just have fun.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609
    TL170678 said:
    The guy is wrong on several points, but the main one is when he said that liberals act with emotion and little logic. It's a common conservative reaction, but maybe he's not aware how conservatives are driven by fear and can be easily manipulated from that point on. Logic and facts seem pretty far down the list for conservatives. That point's highlighted in his overgeneralizations and misperceptions included in the article.
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    There are some things with the initial article I can identify with. There are some uppity fans. And, the GA sections can be really dead at non-festival shows, or people go too far the other way and act stupid. I can't hold still, personally. A lot of fans are apparently too fuckin old to move. After seeing what I saw last night in Pemberton, the gist of the initial article is wrong, IMO. Eddie was locked in, seemed to have a blast. Missed a few lyrics, who gives a shit, that's part of live music. Writing articles about PJand turning them into a personal ordeal is blatant self-promotion. Personally, I don't like that shit. That's what "This All Encompassing Trip" was, pure self-promotion. Using the band as the vehicle of self-gain, get over yourself. I like hearing stories about the band, and meeting people at shows. But, I don't want to hear whiney opinions on their shortcomings. And, the author cites one show directly, that's an awfully small sample size. You play 900 shows, there are going to be off nights. I couldn't give a shit less if he's stepping back after his next one.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22