Options

The Pearl Jam Problem: Superfans Have Ruined My Favorite Band (Article)

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    hedonist said:

Never trust a writer who describes the band as an "emotional lighthouse as the storms of adulthood soaked us through." Gag.

Cheers to the third person today/tonight who made me laugh like a motherfucker.

Gold =)
    Point me in the direction of the other two. I need a laugh.
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,160
    So, if the Superfans would let Ed sing the correct words for every song, then he would be OK with them again?
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    The article came off very whiney. However, with that being said, forgetting the lyrics to songs is unacceptable. I understand it happens, but it seems like it happens often for Ed, especially as of late. Those lyrics might mean something to someone and forgetting them like its not a big deal really bugs me. I really hope the band brings it for Wrigley and sets that fuckin place on fire.

P.S. leave the Lightning Bolt backdrop in Seattle please...
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    mschostok said:

The article came off very whiney. However, with that being said, forgetting the lyrics to songs is unacceptable. I understand it happens, but it seems like it happens often for Ed, especially as of late. Those lyrics might mean something to someone and forgetting them like its not a big deal really bugs me.

I disagree with this completely. This band isn't one that rehearses down to the note, has all their cues down pat and plays the song note for note the same way every performance. They have to be allowed to change it up as they see fit. Hell, Vedder could completely make up new lyrics to songs and it wouldn't bother me. As long as they work within the basic framework of the song it's cool in my book. The Grateful Dead (and Jerry Garcia especially) used to do that shit all the time. It's part of what made each show unique and interesting in its own right.

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,495
    Personally I'm thinking of never seeing Pearl Jam again until they change the stage design.

It's unacceptable.

Where's the giant lemon?
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    edited June 2016
    AceCool said:

mschostok said:

The article came off very whiney. However, with that being said, forgetting the lyrics to songs is unacceptable. I understand it happens, but it seems like it happens often for Ed, especially as of late. Those lyrics might mean something to someone and forgetting them like its not a big deal really bugs me.

I disagree with this completely. This band isn't one that rehearses down to the note, has all their cues down pat and plays the song note for note the same way every performance. They have to be allowed to change it up as they see fit. Hell, Vedder could completely make up new lyrics to songs and it wouldn't bother me. As long as they work within the basic framework of the song it's cool in my book. The Grateful Dead (and Jerry Garcia especially) used to do that shit all the time. It's part of what made each show unique and interesting in its own right.

Me too.

We should be thankful that they don't play the same 17 songs in the same order every night of the tour but instead give the fans something different (and long!) every night. When you are willing to go 100 songs deep in to your catalogue on a given tour, there are going to be missed lyrics as it is superhuman feat to even be able to play 100 songs on a given tour.

Reason for edit: feat not feet!
    Post edited by ckravitz on
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    ckravitz said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

Me too.

We should be thankful that they don't play the same 17 songs in the same order every night of the tour but instead give the fans something different (and long!) every night. When you are willing to go 100 songs deep in to your catalogue on a given tour, there are going to be missed lyrics as it is superhuman feet to even be able to play 100 songs on a given tour.
    Agreed. I would rather have them dig into the catalog and atleast attempt many different songs than just be perfect at like 20 of them.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    usually the day of the show chat at facebook or at phone with friends and we set a date at bar..go have a drink,then go to box office,get our tickets ,we wear the wristbands,we scan our tix at the entrance,we go in the pit,we chat,we laugh,get a drink,band on stage,we dance,sing laugh,smile,enjoy the show
    thats it,..,no drama...i dont have time to waste with stupid things and all tis crap
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    Hate to admit it but he had some valid points, BUT he did come off as the same person he came to be disgusted by

this is actually a true statement as I have been pushed and shoved out of the way (and im not a small guy) at multiple shows (especially Wrigley 13) because someone wanted a poster and all I wanted was a damn tshirt. I have given up on merch completely

"financially secure fans seem to believe they can fortify fanboy superiority by buying up as much band-branded gear as they possibly can. While trying so very hard to prove that they are better fans, more devoted fans than the next warm body, these people alienate and eliminate the sense of community that once made these groups of fans a truly special collective. It becomes a mad rush for stuff, the bragging-rights stories and future Ebay listings dancing in the heads of those who have turned a visceral passion for music into a hoarding collector’s insecurity insulator."
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I love how he complains about super fans but has a link to a Super fans 30 greatest PJ songs in the article that he made.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    AceCool said:

mschostok said:

You may have missed my exact point. I'm all for changing the lyrics up every now and then to keep the song fresh, that's always cool to hear and see. But FORGETTING the lyrics entirely is unacceptable. And that is what I think Ed did over the weekend and has been doing for quite some time.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    :hushed:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Superfans, entitlement, etc... but oh, oh, I gotta be on the rail for all 55 shows.

Yeah no shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,215
    I felt the same way.. I made it just past halfway. I felt the author was the same people he was criticizing. He'd seen them 55 times, so seeing a festival set that consisted of the more popular songs bored him to death.

I know if I saw a greatest hits set I would be a little disappointed, but I don't think I'd go on rant criticizing everyone else about it.. lol
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    This irks me more than the nonsense that the author is clearly aiming at themselves ultimately: From the opening paragraph: "A sweltering, all-day endurance challenge to stand in line for front rail positioning was par for the course, a small penance as it was all part of an experience, a test of endurance in a full day of physical discomfort for a lifetime of memories from seeing Pearl Jam as close as you possibly can."

From much deeper in the article: "It has become second nature to endure a full day of physical discomfort for a lifetime of memories from seeing Pearl Jam as close as you possibly can."

I take it the editor called in sick the day this was posted, lol?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    :rofl::bawling::confounded::tired_face::i_dunno::dizzy::get_outta_here::grimacing::loser::rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

You may have missed my exact point. I'm all for changing the lyrics up every now and then to keep the song fresh, that's always cool to hear and see. But FORGETTING the lyrics entirely is unacceptable. And that is what I think Ed did over the weekend and has been doing for quite some time.
    I understand your point. I certainly don't let it bother me if he forgets the lyrics. That dude has so many lyrics to remember that I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often (especially when he gets two bottles of wine in).
  • Options
    AceCool said:

mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

I understand your point. I certainly don't let it bother me if he forgets the lyrics. That dude has so many lyrics to remember that I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often (especially when he gets two bottles of wine in).
    Yeah, that's true.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited June 2016
    Anyone who sees them 55 times has issues and is entitled to some extent.

I am on #25 with 5 EV shows and I would throw myself into that category too.

To be very honest, we are a very tough fan base overall for outsiders to like and want to be a part of. I recall seeing a number of posts in the FB group ripping others apart for not knowing obscure songs, but getting excited for "hits". Front of the lines and merchandise is extremely competitive. Many of us think PJ is the greatest thing ever and will die on that hill. A great number of us also listen to nothing but Pearl Jam, which many would find odd.

We are a very passionate bunch. Much like Bernie Sanders supporters or Beachbody coaches. In convo, we start with the Pearl Jam, no doubt our friends and loved ones roll their eyes and tune us out.

I brought a friend to a show and he felt pretty out of place when Binaural was being played. Also everyone knowing all the lyrics and the little "cues" everyone picks up on during songs, etc. It was a bit intimidating/overwhelming I think.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Cosmic SlopCosmic Slop Posts: 107
    If you've been to Bonnaroo before and were actually at the show then you know that most of this article is on point.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AceCool said:

mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

I like it when Ed forgets lyrics. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

I like it when Ed forget lyrics. :lol:
    It makes him more relatable to stoners.
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    Boy, you ain't kidding about that. His entire retort towards Vedder was to just keep his mouth shut. As if to say, Vedder's not a citizen, he shouldn't speak up, he doesn't contribute anything to society, he is too naive, he doesn't share my same beliefs, or he should just sing and play guitar and that's it. I just want to say to that swinging d!ck bag who wrote the article, nobody wants your opinion either. Go to your room and write out your own diatribes about how free speech is something to be condemned. Then we'll all laugh at the terrible hypocrisy you seem to evoke.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

PJ_Soul said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

:angry:

OK, fine =)
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    RVM1978 said:

Boy, you ain't kidding about that. His entire retort towards Vedder was to just keep his mouth shut. As if to say, Vedder's not a citizen, he shouldn't speak up, he doesn't contribute anything to society, he is too naive, he doesn't share my same beliefs, or he should just sing and play guitar and that's it. I just want to say to that swinging d!ck bag who wrote the article, nobody wants your opinion either. Go to your room and write out your own diatribes about how free speech is something to be condemned. Then we'll all laugh at the terrible hypocrisy you seem to evoke.
    Actually if you take the whole article and look at its context, that's not at all what he is saying. In that article his point is that its easy to stand on a stage in a place that is safe and spew that kind of diatribe. He lives a protected life that many people aren't afforded and he will never suffer many of the injustices that the average person will, so he see's the world this different lenses, hell the same could be said of the other side of thought. I see where he was coming from and have no problem with that article other than he did come close of the line of telling him to shut up and sing.

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    That same writer also created a "30 Best Pearl Jam Songs" post in 2013. A list that did not include "Corduroy", "Alive", "Rearviewmirror", "Present Tense", "In Hiding", "Light Years", "I Am Mine", "Life Wasted", "The Fixer", or "Getaway". I'm not saying those are their best songs, but they are pretty high up there. Even though some are staples of live shows, or to some superfans, overplayed, it is honestly foolish to overlook at least 2 to 3, if not all of them.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:

PJ_Soul said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

AceCool said:

mschostok said:

:angry:

OK, fine =)
    :smiley:
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286

Well. Somebody had a lot of time on their hands.

like all of us that loiter this site...