The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Kinda hard not to think about selling floors tickets for 1000 each.
    Chances are I won't but the thought is there.Shits crazy here in Victoria
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RobbyD462 said:

please don't. don't capitalize on Gord's illness. these tickets wouldn't be worth a fraction of that price without it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2016

RobbyD462 said:

please don't. don't capitalize on Gord's illness. these tickets wouldn't be worth a fraction of that price without it.
    +1. If you hate something don't you do it too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    RobbyD462 said:

That is crazy. I was curious and looked on stub hub yesterday and there were only 100 tickets. That's not many out of 6000ish they sell for shows. I guess we've got one of (if not) the smallest venues on the tour.

I did ok for tickets. For the Fan Club presale I pulled up row 35 on the floor. Kept searching, they timed out, but then I got some in the back corner a few rows up which I bought. Then an hour later they started selling side stage tickets so I bought a pair of those to (sold the original pair to my coworker for face value). the day after I figured out the amex presale code was AMEX. That was about 10 minutes into the presale. I already had the 4 ticket presale maximum from the day before but I did pull up row 13 on the floor. I have no idea if Select Your Tickets was sophisticated enough to prevent me from checking out with a non-amex card.

They did put a will call restriction on the best tickets though (floor tickets and side sections). At least that sort of probably prevented out of towners from scalping those tickets (as they'd have to go to the Victoria Arena to pick ém up, or Kelowna I guess which has the other select your tickets box office).

• RobbyD462 said:

I know what the general sentiment is around here- you won't find much support... but I truly wouldn't blame you if you did.

For the record, I have my modest seats for show 2 in Vancouver and won't be parting with them for anything.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    full disclosure: I have flipped merch in the past. Never flipped concert tickets. Just can't do it. I have sold in-demand tix to shows in the past that I couldn't attend, always for face. I see the looks on the people's faces when they come get them: "sucker!". I don't care. I cannot charge more for a life experience than I paid.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah I can't see me selling them but I can see why people would.

edited June 2016
    Just got an email from the band saying:
    "Due to an overwhelming demand for the Man Machine Poem tour, we have adjusted the show design to accommodate more seating. Tickets for the newly released seats will go on sale on Tuesday, June 14 @ 10am local time. There is a 2 ticket limit per person."

So that's nice. I already have a ticket, but am now very curious about where these extra seats will be. How did they adjust the show design to make more room I wonder?? At first I thought, 'did they add a GA pit?!?!' ..... But if they did that, the people with all the best seats at the front of the floor would be fucked, or forced into a pit, which some of them might not be able to do. There were seats behind the stage the whole time, weren't there?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    the extra seats are behind the stage
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Anyone want a pair behind the stage for Friday? I have one for face of course :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    PJ_Soul said:

"Due to an overwhelming demand for the Man Machine Poem tour, we have adjusted the show design to accommodate more seating. Tickets for the newly released seats will go on sale on Tuesday, June 14 @ 10am local time. There is a 2 ticket limit per person."

So that's nice. I already have a ticket, but am now very curious about where these extra seats will be. How did they adjust the show design to make more room I wonder?? At first I thought, 'did they add a GA pit?!?!' ..... But if they did that, the people with all the best seats at the front of the floor would be fucked, or forced into a pit, which some of them might not be able to do. There were seats behind the stage the whole time, weren't there?

not for the winnipeg show there weren't. I didn't understand why they weren't selling them to begin with. they had to have known this was going to be a massive demand tour.

i wonder if now this show will be "in the round", or if they are just now selling behind the stage. if it s just opening up the seating behind the stage, why say "we have adjusted the show design", unless maybe they had a backdrop and they will no longer be using it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:

not for the winnipeg show there weren't. I didn't understand why they weren't selling them to begin with. they had to have known this was going to be a massive demand tour.

i wonder if now this show will be "in the round", or if they are just now selling behind the stage. if it s just opening up the seating behind the stage, why say "we have adjusted the show design", unless maybe they had a backdrop and they will no longer be using it.
    As you know... their shows have never been about visuals and lights. This is an easy thing for them to do.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

PJ_Soul said:

As you know... their shows have never been about visuals and lights. This is an easy thing for them to do.
    yeah, absolutely. they remind me of PJ in that way. they did have giant screens at one tour i saw them on. it kind of took away from the show I thought.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Well somehow in spite of all the bots I ended up with two pretty good seats to the last Edmonton show in the first presale, and today got two cheap seats behind the stage for the first Calgary show. Am happy to get to share one last show with my wife and one with my best bud!! It's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster...
  • bmaguirebmaguire Detroit Posts: 119
    Peace and love and POWER to Gorde from the Tagically Hip...keep fighting and be strong...

2018 Chicago, IL
    2018 Seattle, WA
    2016 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    2016 Miami, FL
    2016 Tampa, FL
    2016 Toronto, Canada II
    2016 Chicago, IL I
    2016 Chicago, IL II
    2014 Detroit, MI
    2006 Cleveland, OH
    2004 Toldeo, OH
    2003 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Lansing, MI
    1998 Auburn Hills, MI
    1992 Clarkston, MI

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, if it's behind the stage seats, then it would be getting rid of the backdrop ( I am assuming, since last year the backdrop completely hid the seats behind the stage. It was a full-on video screen.... which looked cool, and I'm a bit disappointed that they won't have that anymore. They mixed their visuals with the music really well).
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    imo the hip doesn't need visuals. especially for this tour. this tour should be about the songs, those melodies and especially the lyrics. gord is one of the best lyricists ever. glad they opened up behind the stage and limited it to 2 per person. i got tickets for 1 show behind the stage in the sale yesterday. i'm honestly just happy to be in the building. gonna hit 4 shows total this tour. the show won't be in the round as floor seats have already been sold and it would be a total clusterF to rearrange the floor seating and issue new tickets with new seats #'s and sections. once again the hip did it right. bravo to them

imo the hip doesn't need visuals. especially for this tour. this tour should be about the songs, those melodies and especially the lyrics. gord is one of the best lyricists ever. glad they opened up behind the stage and limited it to 2 per person. i got tickets for 1 show behind the stage in the sale yesterday. i'm honestly just happy to be in the building. gonna hit 4 shows total this tour. the show won't be in the round as floor seats have already been sold and it would be a total clusterF to rearrange the floor seating and issue new tickets with new seats #'s and sections. once again the hip did it right. bravo to them

agreed. I'm glad for the people who got floor seats didn't get rearranged to in the round. that would have pissed me off for sure.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited June 2016

They didn't depend on the visuals, which don't take away from the music at all. So if I can enjoy the music just as much, why not also add cool cinematic art to the mix? They always had a very artistic approach to that backdrop, and there is definitely nothing wrong with that. I am not bemoaning that it won't be there, but it was definitely still a feature that was enjoyable and added to the overall performances in an artistic sense.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    As a novice Hip fan where does Phantom Power rank in their catalog to die hards?
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    It was announced today that their final show on August 20th will be broadcast commercial-free on CBC, starting at 8:30. Thanks to the band for allowing this to be done.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

As a novice Hip fan where does Phantom Power rank in their catalog to die hards?

I don't know about die hards, but for me, probably top 3.

Poets
    Bobcaygeon
    Thompson Girl
    Something On
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It was announced today that their final show on August 20th will be broadcast commercial-free on CBC, starting at 8:30. Thanks to the band for allowing this to be done.

That's great.
    Sweet free concert!

New album out today. Listening now...............................

also, for us non-cable folks, on their youtube channel as well.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I don't know about die hards, but for me, probably top 3.

Poets
    Bobcaygeon
    Thompson Girl
    Something On
    Those would be mine as well. But really love the entire album.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413

also, for us non-cable folks, on their youtube channel as well.
    I'll likely be watching via the over-the-air broadcast, get decent enough reception of cbc via the antenna, so that could be another option, depending on people's local stations.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    anyone get the new album yet? I am going to try to get out to pick it up tonight.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

anyone get the new album yet? I am going to try to get out to pick it up tonight.

I'm still just absorbing it on Spotify (trying to do that at work, so I've had too many distractions so far to really take it in). Need to give it a few more listens to decide if I love it enough to have it on vinyl.