Prophets Of Rage

Comments

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    It's not Rage but I'd go see these guys in a heartbeat if they came anywhere near where I live. I guarantee it will be a killer show.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    halv said:

It's not Rage but I'd go see these guys in a heartbeat if they came anywhere near where I live. I guarantee it will be a killer show.

Same here. I was up for traveling anywhere to see Rage. But this? If it comes close, I'm there.

Wonder why it's not just Rage with Zach?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717

Can either Chuck D or B Real scream? If so, not sure how they can pull off many Rage classics.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/rage-against-the-machine-public-enemy-and-cypress-hill-members-form-new-supergroup/

I'd still go but fuck these guys for getting my hopes up!

Yep major buzzkill for me

severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    halv said:

+1. Hope they create and support new music. Stoked to hear Tom Morello + RATM-driven versions of PE and Cypress Hill songs. Love Zach's version of 'How I Could Just Kill a Man' on Renegades and now we get to hear BReal do it himself :sunglasses:
  • Playing on my hopes.

These guys should get their gawddamn shit together and play some gawddamn music for some gawddamn fans.

They don't even need to get in the studio and make a new album. They can just get on a bare bones stage with some loud amps for an hour and a half... then go have fun while everyone else does too.

A spin off band.

F**ks sakes.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Can either Chuck D or B Real scream? If so, not sure how they can pull off many Rage classics.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/rage-against-the-machine-public-enemy-and-cypress-hill-members-form-new-supergroup/

I'd still go but fuck these guys for getting my hopes up!

Ah man. Disappointed.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Playing on my hopes.

These guys should get their gawddamn shit together and play some gawddamn music for some gawddamn fans.

They don't even need to get in the studio and make a new album. They can just get on a bare bones stage with some loud amps for an hour and a half... then go have fun while everyone else does too.

A spin off band.

F**ks sakes.

well they did that 5 or so years ago. maybe Zack and the rest don't want it to be seen as milking it? Who knows. At my age, I might be a bit anxious to go see a Rage show. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Live show is rumored to be 6/3 in LA.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2016

halv said:

According to the newest update from Rolling Stone it doesn't sound like a RATM reunion or shows. Sounds like certain members of RATM joining up with members of another band (probably Public Enemy). Still very cool but not quite was I was hoping for.

It's gonna be this and if so I don't care
    If it's a GOOD supergroup I care a bit - I will listen to them and see if I like it. But it's a minor bummer after expecting a RATM tour or something, and it was an irresponsible and misleading marketing strategy, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

I have the same skepticism for Prophets of Rage that I had for Audioslave.

I loved SG, and I loved RATM, but I had my doubts about Audioslave when I first heard about the then impending supergoup / album.
    (& from a personal standpoint, I ended up being correct...... Audioslave did nothing for me - not a knock on the band or towards anyone who liked them, they just didn't do it for me)

I was a fan of Cypress Hill back in the '90s (now I find them kind of silly..... talented, no doubt, but I find it hard to go back and listen to a lot of their stuff)

I love PE, and I love Rage, but I have a lot less enthusiasm for this project now that I know more details.
  • Playing on my hopes.

A spin off band.

F**ks sakes.

well they did that 5 or so years ago. maybe Zack and the rest don't want it to be seen as milking it? Who knows. At my age, I might be a bit anxious to go see a Rage show. LOL
    I'm hearing you, man!
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

I loved SG, and I loved RATM, but I had my doubts about Audioslave when I first heard about the then impending supergoup / album.
    (& from a personal standpoint, I ended up being correct...... Audioslave did nothing for me - not a knock on the band or towards anyone who liked them, they just didn't do it for me)

I was a fan of Cypress Hill back in the '90s (now I find them kind of silly..... talented, no doubt, but I find it hard to go back and listen to a lot of their stuff)

I love PE, and I love Rage, but I have a lot less enthusiasm for this project now that I know more details.

Audioslave was definitely milquetoast. Cornell sabotaged it by saying "no politics."
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    So I don't really keep up with Rage, but I've seen Tom Morello a handful of times with Audioslave and at some benefit thing and I love him. Can someone fill me in on why Rage doesn't seem to want to do things together much? Is Zach the holdout?
    Suziemay said:

So I don't really keep up with Rage, but I've seen Tom Morello a handful of times with Audioslave and at some benefit thing and I love him. Can someone fill me in on why Rage doesn't seem to want to do things together much? Is Zach the holdout?

Here's my take...I don't think Zach "has it" anymore as far as writing goes. And frankly, I think that seems like hard shit to be able to write. Rage put out their first album and it was great. But a lot of times that happens because the artists entire life up until that point has led to that first album. It took them nearly four years to put out another one. And three more after that to put out their third. All three are great albums...but I think that's all he had in him. Since Rage, Morello has put out three Audioslave albums, a Street Sweeper Social Club album (and EP), and four solo albums while Zach has put out just the One Day As A Lion EP. And this isn't meant to be a "Tom is better than Zach" type of argument. I just think it's easier to write that sort of music than it is to write those sort of lyrics.

So after reuniting and playing the old songs in 2007-2008, I just think that without anything new to offer, he doesn't wanna just be trotted out there to be a nostalgia band...which I can understand.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

Suziemay said:

Here's my take...I don't think Zach "has it" anymore as far as writing goes. And frankly, I think that seems like hard shit to be able to write. Rage put out their first album and it was great. But a lot of times that happens because the artists entire life up until that point has led to that first album. It took them nearly four years to put out another one. And three more after that to put out their third. All three are great albums...but I think that's all he had in him. Since Rage, Morello has put out three Audioslave albums, a Street Sweeper Social Club album (and EP), and four solo albums while Zach has put out just the One Day As A Lion EP. And this isn't meant to be a "Tom is better than Zach" type of argument. I just think it's easier to write that sort of music than it is to write those sort of lyrics.

So after reuniting and playing the old songs in 2007-2008, I just think that without anything new to offer, he doesn't wanna just be trotted out there to be a nostalgia band...which I can understand.

That makes sense. And OMG, thanks for reminding me about Street Sweeper Social Club! I stumbled upon their album randomly a few years ago and loved it. And love their cover of Paper Planes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjgM0b385g
    Suziemay said:

Suziemay said:

That makes sense. And OMG, thanks for reminding me about Street Sweeper Social Club! I stumbled upon their album randomly a few years ago and loved it. And love their cover of Paper Planes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjgM0b385g
    I love the two records they put out. I wish they'd do something else. Frankly, I'd rather that than this "Prophets of Rage" thing.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    if zach can't come up with material now with what's going on in the world then we might be SOL on any new Rage ever.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX said:

if zach can't come up with material now with what's going on in the world then we might be SOL on any new Rage ever.

I was saying the same thing during the Bush administration.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    at least they played some shows during those years.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

If Zach is the lone holdout, I appreciate his resolve to not become a nostalgia act. (assuming this is indeed the case)

By not reuniting, I would imagine RATM is leaving a LOT of money on the table.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2016
    Personally, I think ppl put too much weight behind a bands 'legacy'. After hearing BLA, I wondered how long Rage could continue putting out records without changing up their sound....and if changing their sound could be done without it being a total disaster. When they split, I could understand why they felt the band had run its course. Now I have to wonder...if Rage had become like AC/DC - pigeon-holed into the sound they created...would it have been such a bad thing? Even if their albums became a bit mediocre, it wouldn't spoil the first three....for me anyway. There would have been a killer song or three per album, with some stuff that couldn't compare to their early-career greatness. Sounds like another band I know and still love and see as often as possible :wink: and let's be honest...that other band hasn't done much to change up their style in the last 20 years.

But I don't think this was about musical legacy for Zach. Maybe he didn't want to appear to be cashing in on a band founded on anti-capitalist principles...guess that's still a legacy concern...but from what I've read, his passion for music is secondary to his political interests. I think that's more of a reason than nothing left in the tank lyrically.

All I want is to hear those songs live, with the full lineup. It wouldn't be nostalgia for me - I've never had an opportunity to see them.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Audioslave was definitely milquetoast. Cornell sabotaged it by saying "no politics."
    I loved their first record. the last two I found very boring.

if the band thought he was sabotaging it, I'm guessing they wouldn't have allowed it. I read an interview with Tim Cummerford from just a few days ago, and he absolutely loved the new direction they had with Cornell. it gave them more breathing room than just being pigeonholed into being a rap/rock political act.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Personally, I think ppl put too much weight behind a bands 'legacy'. After hearing BLA, I wondered how long Rage could continue putting out records without changing up their sound....and if changing their sound could be done without it being a total disaster. When they split, I could understand why they felt the band had run its course. Now I have to wonder...if Rage had become like AC/DC - pigeon-holed into the sound they created...would it have been such a bad thing? Even if their albums became a bit mediocre, it wouldn't spoil the first three....for me anyway. There would have been a killer song or three per album, with some stuff that couldn't compare to their early-career greatness. Sounds like another band I know and still love and see as often as possible :wink: and let's be honest...that other band hasn't done much to change up their style in the last 20 years.

But I don't think this was about musical legacy for Zach. Maybe he didn't want to appear to be cashing in on a band founded on anti-capitalist principles...guess that's still a legacy concern...but from what I've read, his passion for music is secondary to his political interests. I think that's more of a reason than nothing left in the tank lyrically.

All I want is to hear those songs live, with the full lineup. It wouldn't be nostalgia for me - I've never had an opportunity to see them.

I would happily go support a new shitty album tour and stomach 4-5 new crappy songs to see these guys. I also think your last statement reflects the attitudes of most people.

Any tour they might plan with whatever theme they might center it on would likely be met with a great response.

Win win.
  • Any show at all and my buddy and I have made unofficial plans to travel and attend. It's just got to be reasonable.

I'm kicking myself for not seeing them and Muse at LA Rising.

What an idiot.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

Any show at all and my buddy and I have made unofficial plans to travel and attend. It's just got to be reasonable.

Yeah I have that same mindset. Any reasonable reunion show that I can get to I'm there no matter what.

I'm not a fan of the supergroup collab rumors. (They are still rumors, right? )
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Saw them much later in their history. It was the Rock the Bells shows in nyc. Went the first night and was so blown away I had to come back the next night. They were mindblowing. the funniest thing I ever saw was the looks on the brother's faces as they immediately started streaming out en mass as the place erupted into a huge wave of humanity swaying to and fro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0oImJ3yJY
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    First show is tonight at the Whisky in Hollywood.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Apologies made to whoever it pleases
    and now they got me like Jesus.

Chuck D
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    They are announcing something else tomorrow at 8am.....could be a show at the Hollywood Palladium on Friday.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    So will this new group be covering RATM songs?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7