Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    scottjf8scottjf8 Posts: 36
    Ah, I see... it's an all or nothing thing I guess, since under "my notifications" this thread doesn't show up... I guess I have to uncheck "notify when someone posts in a thread i've participated in."

For the millionth time, this forum software here sucks. Time for vBulletin.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    Watching the NY shows, where the music and energy have been great, but I'm tired of hearing Eddie talk politics - it's pretty easy to take shots at Trump and Cruz in the comfort of New York City, but the band had a chance to step into the fire in Raleigh and make a real statement, and they chose not to.

I hope that doesn't come off as lingering bitterness, b/c I'm not - I made the better than I expected of the situation - the cancellation allowed me a chance to go to Columbia early and walk around the city, meet some great people, made new friends, and had better seats than I would've had I gone down as originally scheduled. Nevertheless, the sting remains, and will occasionally flare up.
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:

Watching the NY shows, where the music and energy have been great, but I'm tired of hearing Eddie talk politics - it's pretty easy to take shots at Trump and Cruz in the comfort of New York City, but the band had a chance to step into the fire in Raleigh and make a real statement, and they chose not to.

I hope that doesn't come off as lingering bitterness, b/c I'm not - I made the better than I expected of the situation - the cancellation allowed me a chance to go to Columbia early and walk around the city, meet some great people, made new friends, and had better seats than I would've had I gone down as originally scheduled. Nevertheless, the sting remains, and will occasionally flare up.

Suck it up.
    It's been part of the show at times, and not.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    PJ1973 said:

Pretty sure they felt that what they did WAS choosing to make a real statement. Obviously not the one you would have made, but a statement nonetheless, and clearly the one they thought would be heard the loudest (I think they were right - cancellations have had much more impact than non-cancellations where someone said something that no one who wasn't at the show even heard about).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    PJ_Soul said:

Pretty sure they felt that what they did WAS choosing to make a real statement. Obviously not the one you would have made, but a statement nonetheless, and clearly the one they thought would be heard the loudest (I think they were right - cancellations have had much more impact than non-cancellations where someone said something that no one who wasn't at the show even heard about).

I agree. I know the band made the decision after much thought and what they felt was best. I see both sides to the argument and initially supported the boycott decision. I've changed my mind due to several things that have happened since I returned from tour (I live in NC, so this issue will be on my mind through November), but I don't condemn their decision. Boycotts have a lot of merit to them. My post above was just some thoughts going through my head last night.
  • Options
    I live in NC too and was supposed to be at that show. They made a statement, yeah, but that statement was already made by The Boss.

I think its a little too easy for people out of state, that weren't planning to attend the show to give full forgiving support. What they are forgetting is the people that live here that aren't huge fans like us – that were looking forward to the show. The band could have come and given a message about HB-2 and gained MORE support. Now they have pushed away people.

A statement was made, but that doesn't mean it was a wise decision.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675

I live in NC too and was supposed to be at that show. They made a statement, yeah, but that statement was already made by The Boss.

I think its a little too easy for people out of state, that weren't planning to attend the show to give full forgiving support. What they are forgetting is the people that live here that aren't huge fans like us – that were looking forward to the show. The band could have come and given a message about HB-2 and gained MORE support. Now they have pushed away people.

A statement was made, but that doesn't mean it was a wise decision.

Not to mention fans that traveled across the country to see this show. I think they made a horrible decision and it screwed over a lot of their fanbase.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    And skipping concerts had no effect on the legal ruling that everyone knew was coming eventually. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

And skipping concerts had no effect on the legal ruling that everyone knew was coming eventually. ;)

correct.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yup, once the 4th circuit court of appeals ruled on the Virginia case there was no doubt that it was only a matter of time before NC was put on notice. Nothing to do with the boycotts.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    You mean the courts will solve it? Crazy! I wish some of us would have known that day 1!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122

I'm assuming a lot of people boycotting had no idea it was coming ... I hope they didn't, at least ...

maybe research next time?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    That was my biggest issue with it. This law isn't going to last legally. No matter what Boss/PJ did, this thing is going away. The day of or after the scheduled show there was that ruling in Federal court in that case from VA that basically gives precedent that this law is illegal. Majority in NC seem to hate it, especially in the Universities and Urban areas,

But... I know the counter argument is that we cannot take it for granted and become passive/careless and expect everything to work out.

But its over anyways. Decision was made.
  • Options
    It still sucks when you realize the band you love cares more about making a political statement then taking care of its fans.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    jordn6971 said:

It still sucks when you realize the band you love cares more about making a political statement then taking care of its fans.

Here is the advice I am giving myself: "Take a year off of PJ shows."

Unfortunately I have too many paid for shows/travel to go to yet this year.
  • Options

jordn6971 said:

Here is the advice I am giving myself: "Take a year off of PJ shows."

Unfortunately I have too many paid for shows/travel to go to yet this year.
    I just have Wrigley which has is a 2 hr drive only. I don't want to go to both nights though anymore the way the setlists have been. Sucks I have to go down there just to pick up my 10c tickets for the night my buddy will be using them
  • Options
    Fortunately, I saw them in Greenville, so Raleigh was my extra show.

Raleigh is my home town and I was looking forward to bringing my wife, brother and friends. I do hope they keep their promise and make an attempt to come back this year.
  • Options
    This!
    I'm waiting for the promised show they sent in my cancellation email once the situation is/eventually resolved. So, let the planning begin and hope they at least make sure the people who had their tickets cancelled don't have to go through another lottery.
    Come back!
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    jordn6971 said:

Are you saying Pearl Jam has no LGBT fans? I think they were trying to take care of them pretty well IMHO.
  • Options
    Croos1226 said:

jordn6971 said:

Are you saying Pearl Jam has no LGBT fans? I think they were trying to take care of them pretty well IMHO.
    Are you being sarcastic. Cancelling the show didn't help anybody,LGBT or not. It only hurt the fans who paid money, made travel arrangements, and took off work months before.
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    Now they will reschedule and I will lose the ticket lotto...lol
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Assuming this thing is off the NC books before long. .

I wonder if it will just be put on the back burner. Raleigh will get a show on the next eastern us tour. I don't really see pj scheduling a one off show in Raleigh when they are back into their normal private lives.

I also wonder (and hope) that us lottery winners are given a right of refusal before the show (if there is a show).
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    Raleigh isnt that far from Bonaroo
    I think you are right, a rescheduled show probably wont happen
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    I'm not holding my breath that it'll ever be made up. And if it is I doubt I'll pay for another flight and hotel to go.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jdopj said:

That would be a great way to warm up for Roo... not to mention, since it would be a one-off show, that it would be a quick sellout

• Options
    ComeToTX said:

I'm not holding my breath that it'll ever be made up. And if it is I doubt I'll pay for another flight and hotel to go.

It's going to be a long time before i feel comfortable booking any travel arrangements to see PJ again. What a shame.
  • Options
    NSLNSL Nashville, TN Posts: 291
    my2hands said:

jdopj said:

That would be a great way to warm up for Roo... not to mention, since it would be a one-off show, that it would be a quick sellout

8 hours away isn't that close
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Today we find out if the justice department's pressure will make a difference in HB2. No grandstanding by the non profits that have been involved in this. Just real work.