Bootleg coloured vinyl

jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
edited April 2016 in The Porch
Anyone know if the unofficial bootleg coloured presses of No Code, Yield, Binaural & Avocado are any good? Don't exactly want to shell out 200, 300 bucks per, but still want to complete the collection.

EDIT: Thanks for your input guys.
2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
Post edited by jessebasi on
Tagged:

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    People have said they sound fine.

It is assumed they are cut from the CD.

• jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Can't believe the boots are going for 200-300. Insane. I think you can find those cheaper. I may be mistaken, but I feel like I've seen them for way less.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    jmug23 said:

Can't believe the boots are going for 200-300. Insane. I think you can find those cheaper. I may be mistaken, but I feel like I've seen them for way less.

I think the poster was referencing that he/she didn't want to spend 200-300 on originals, and thus was asking about the quality of the bootlegs. That's how I interpreted it as anyways.
  • 200/300 for boots.
    You can buy the original press for that.........madness
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2016
    Zod said:

jmug23 said:

I think the poster was referencing that he/she didn't want to spend 200-300 on originals, and thus was asking about the quality of the bootlegs. That's how I interpreted it as anyways.
    Yes, this is what she said. She is thinking about boots because the originals cost $200 - $300.

But I wouldn't buy them OP. I have heard very mixed reports on sound quality, and the packaging is cheap. I think that they are still a rip off. If they cost you more than maybe $30 they are a huge rip off (I personally wouldn't buy them for $10). Plus they are illegal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Doink317Doink317 Indianapolis Posts: 84
    I own the Avocado boot, sound quality is alright, I've always heard it's the best out of all the other PJ boots. The blue vinyl looks nice, the booklet it comes with is good quality. The cover on the other hand is not such great quality. It's very thin cardboard. I bought mine cheap, I definitely wouldn't pay a lot for it though.
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Zod said:

jmug23 said:

Zod said:

jmug23 said:

Oh gotcha. Yeah that makes more sense:)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

don't do it

www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332

don't do it

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I'm not completely anti-bootleg.. so I won't say don't do it, but I do agree with the OP and hopefully he/she finds feedback on whether or not the bootlegs sound good.

It's a bit disheartening for later vinyl collectors. It doesn't sound like PJ is in any kind of rush to release their back catalog on vinyl. I'm in the same dilemma with Tool's Aenima album. The originals go for a mint. It's a glaring hole in my collection.. do I buy a bootleg to fill the gap until they get around to a re-release (assuming they get around to a re-release)? So far the answer has been a no, but I've been tempted the odd time I see a bootleg version show up in my local record store.