*** Jacksonville, FL Fanviews Here 4/13/16 ***

Comments

• Wishing said:

Whats so magical about the show? Just ghost and of the earth? Not crazy about those songs...

My highlight would have been smile

This. I was at all 4 Florida shows and I felt that Jacksonville was by far the worst of all the shows, the whole first encore is the worst set I've ever seen the band play and the second encore was basically a condensed version of "Ten". Smile was by far the highlight of the night and the best part of that show for me.

I see all this hate for Tampa but that was the best show of the Florida run IMO. Maybe it was the fact that I was GA, but maybe not since I had great TC seats for Jacksonville and crap nose bleeds for Miami and I still think Miami was a better show than Jacksonville. Ed also seemed like he really didn't want to be there (to me at least) for about the first half of Jacksonville.

So why is Jacksonville so special? The crowd? Because I would disagree there, when stuff like Of the Earth and Army Reserve came out and the crowd went silent and looked bored I fail to see the energy everyone is talking about. You would think having really great seats surrounded by fellow Ten Club member the energy around you would be high at least but I heard quite a few people mention in my section (102) that they actually walked up hours before the show and bought tickets from the box office. Most of those people sat down for all the songs they haven't been hearing on the radio for the past 25 years.

It was great seeing the band at all these Florida shows, I just don't understand/share the opinion that Jacksonville was so magical.
    With respect, I, speaking for myself and a few thousand others, don't share your appraisal of any portion of this show as being a "worst" example of anything. I'm kinda bummed that it was such a low energy affair for you. I happen to agree that Tampa was pretty damn special, but from where I was standing in GA, seeing and feeling the ebb and flow of energy between the band and crowd, I just felt that this was the best overall experience. "Of the Earth" admittedly caught us off guard, not for lack of enthusiasm, but rather because I think many were so stunned it was played at all. "Smile" was incredible, not least of all considering it was for the back of the arena! Needless to say, I respect your position on this show, but I just think this was the best Florida show. Sometimes its not necessarily what songs are played, but HOW and WHEN they are played. A well-crafted setlist is like a great mixtape from a friend. This show was a great fucking mixtape. Anyhoo, best of luck to all on future shows and thanks to all who helped J-Ville represent!
    -best,
    Cory
  • these comments are funny. keep 'em coming
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Great evening and though not noted on the setlist Ed tagged the end of Black with some thumbing my way and that was what I wanted most out of my #RiotJax campaign. Mind is blown. Peace and love!!
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    Encore Break Two
    27. Smile (played to the back of the venue)
    28. Once
    29. Black
    30. State Of Love And Trust
    31. Alive
    32. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
    33. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner
    Good lawd....that is an orgasmic setlist. I can't wait to buy THIS bootleg. JAX, you made out like bandits. I'm jealous.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    rssesq said:

Ga was very thin last night, easy to get within 15 feet.

Well I've lost a few pounds on the road. Thanks for noticing. Lol
  • Dr. MattDr. Matt Posts: 199
    edited April 2016

Wishing said:

A well-crafted setlist is like a great mixtape from a friend. This show was a great fucking mixtape.
    Well said! I agree 100%!!!!!

I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Well...you can never please everyone in any building and that there is a fact, but they have been playing at least 8-10 songs each night that I would want to hear at this point in time.

I don't know Dimi, but I saw him get his song on youtube and it looked like his section was having a fucking blast. I would have loved to be in that section! Rocking out in a ghost costume at a PJ show and they play the song, check that off the bucket list.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    The main set closing run Unthought Known--> LTRP---> STBC--->Porch was on fire and totally captivating.
  • fdl9fdl9 Posts: 22
    It was an amazing show for me - not sure what more I can add, but to say thanks to the band for putting themselves out there for us to enjoy. And in addition to the show itself, the people are just A+. We were at the arena since 10am, and one after another, special people everywhere. Oscar and Michelle (from South Africa), Ken (who I first met in Berlin), Eddie (and wife) from Sacramento, the family in GA with their two young daughters (see you in SC!), the woman from Oregon next to me in GA, and many others whose names are foggy right now but faces I wont forget! So much to experience in one day, so many unforgettable moments.
    And best of all, I got to see my amazing friend, a JAX native and partner of 3 shows now!
    I miss you already.
    -Frankie
    PJ: Polo Fields, SF 6/24/95; Seattle 9/16/96; Sacramento 7/16/98; Mountain View 10/31/2000; Bridge School 10/23/10, Prague 7/2/12, Berlin 7/4/12, 7/5/12, Wrigley 7/19/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Portland 11/29/13; Bridge School 10/29/2014; Jacksonville 4/13/2016; Greenville 4/16/2016.
    EV: Oakland 7/11/11 and 7/12/11
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    The Ghost story....
    Heading back to Miami..we are on highway with Eva and wanna share this with u guys...as its easy to understand i had the time of my life last night
    The night before show we went dinner my friends and myself to a bar and mwet a Boris and his wife..great friends and fans..then ray has this idea he dressed up like ghost at the show..next day all friends we stay in the same hotel stole all their pillow cases from their rooms and wrote" Ghost for the greek..was like 7 of them..6 saying that..the last ibe was a troll one saying ghost for greenville!!lol.caro and manuel made those and ray dressed up as ghost..and then whishlist sold play ghost for dimi stickers so they raise money for thwir great causes
    So at the show friend put ray on their arms so eddie see it and all raise up the pillow cover..one of them made it to the stage eddie read it after thr last song at main set

At encore 1 Ed holds up a pillow case on says “I will think on it. No, I will sleep on it. That is what I am supposed to do right?”
    Afrer couples of songs..he says
    “That was Jeff Ament on the bass. And he came up with this next one, ‘Ghost’. This is for the Greek with our apologies.”
    Then he change thw lyrics and sings"..Dimitri,he speaks to me "..
    We start jumping and dance lime crazy
    I couldnt believe was happening!!
    Ed asks Killie to light up the person dressed like a ghost in the pit waving a Greek flag with the stickman and other items on it.. It can only be Dimitris He seems pretty enthused and flails around during the song. At the end of the song Ed comments, “that’s a friendly ghost.”
    I have to say i lost it..was too much..people hug me and kiss me..shout..scream to me..dance with me...friends..other fans..was really special
    I dont know what else to say..this was unreal..even if i dreamt it i just couldnt think that would be so fuckin Epic!!
    Thanks my close friends that make it happen..thanks the band for play the song
    And thanks everyone u make me feel loved for one more time..receiving so many text and commwbt abd seeing so many people be happy for me is something will stay in my heart forever
    As for the show..was amazing!!the best florida by far..i saw 3 songs fir the first time!!
    Rival-ghost-army reserve
    Much love....and love as much as u can..
    Dimitrisville

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

The Ghost story....
    Heading back to Miami..we are on highway with Eva and wanna share this with u guys...as its easy to understand i had the time of my life last night
    The night before show we went dinner my friends and myself to a bar and mwet a Boris and his wife..great friends and fans..then ray has this idea he dressed up like ghost at the show..next day all friends we stay in the same hotel stole all their pillow cases from their rooms and wrote" Ghost for the greek..was like 7 of them..6 saying that..the last ibe was a troll one saying ghost for greenville!!lol.caro and manuel made those and ray dressed up as ghost..and then whishlist sold play ghost for dimi stickers so they raise money for thwir great causes
    So at the show friend put ray on their arms so eddie see it and all raise up the pillow cover..one of them made it to the stage eddie read it after thr last song at main set

At encore 1 Ed holds up a pillow case on says “I will think on it. No, I will sleep on it. That is what I am supposed to do right?”
    “That was Jeff Ament on the bass. And he came up with this next one, ‘Ghost’. This is for the Greek with our apologies.”
    Ed asks Killie to light up the person dressed like a ghost in the pit waving a Greek flag with the stickman and other items on it.. It can only be Dimitris He seems pretty enthused and flails around during the song. At the end of the song Ed comments, “that’s a friendly ghost.”
    I have to say i lost it..was too much..people hug me and kiss me..shout..scream to me..dance with me...friends..other fans..was really special
    I dont know what else to say..this was unreal..even if i dreamt it i just couldnt think that would be so fuckin Epic!!
    And thanks everyone u make me feel loved for one more time..receiving so many text and commwbt abd seeing so many people be happy for me is something will stay in my heart forever
    As for the show..was amazing!!the best florida by far..i saw 3 songs fir the first time!!
    Rival-ghost-army reserve
    Dimitrisville

That is enthusiasm at its finest!

Great show! Glad u got your song.

I'm bringing a poster next time, lol.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

The Ghost story....

Rival-ghost-army reserve
    Dimitrisville

that's awesome!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    Saw the youtube video of ghost. Easily the coolest fan shout out and honored song request ive ever seen or heard from Pearl Jam. Even got a personal lyric change in the song. That will be a hell of a bootleg for you to own dimitris. You are one lucky fan, and have great taste in your song choice.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Oh! Huge thanks to Matt and Charlie in the merch line. They helped 2 hours go by quickly! Met great people in the GA line.

Pit buddies were great! One woman from Oregon (wow!) and Sean and his wife from Savannah!

Thanks for making my show day great!

I agree, all of the people I met were

I went to all 4 Florida shows and this one was by far the best. I was in GA for this one. First time there and I have to say WOW! What a difference the view makes for a show!

I was Stones side 2 deep almost in the corner, so just behind the guy on the rail. The two guys in front of me caught tambourines, one of them getting a nod from Vedder while doing Thumbing My Way tag. He had a sign that he held up. A girl got her 92 PJ shirt signed by Vedder, couldn't tell if the whole band signed it or not?

The band has been very accommodating with requests and shout outs. Dimi got Ghost!

So back to the show. The energy was amazing! Had a few drunkards and a wheelchair that almost ruined the night for me and a few others but things calmed and everyone went back to enjoying the music.

Glorified G was an absolute treat! So many great songs played.

It is very cool to see the band that close and watch them work the crowd. They feel your energy. To have Vedder, Stone and Ament look right at you and nod to you is pretty damn cool. I didn't get a McCready stare but I saw him doing it to others, lol.

Fantastic energy from the crowd and the band, so I can see why Vedder told Jacksonville that "they won" as far as Florida.

I'm also enjoying the solos in Evenflow and also that Porch is shorter now. Great intro into Porch too, I like the riffing in the beginning.

Enjoy everyone, the band is on fire!

I was the tambourine guy who got the nod. What an amazing night. Great people all around except the one guy who was apparently giving some ladies a hard time and I think may have injured one of them during porch. He made his way up to near the front and was drunk and security guys told him to back up so after shouting drunk sentences for am minute he backed up... One of the security guys was hilarious. He told some great jokes before the show and was in a good mood really nice guy. Bring on Greenville!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

The Ghost story....

Rival-ghost-army reserve
    Dimitrisville

So I can't really tell, did you enjoy yourself? :lol:

Glad you finally got to hear Ghost in person.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • iambwfiambwf Jacksonville, FL Posts: 48
    Tampa was my first PJ show. Jax was my favorite of the two. In fairness there are some mitigating factors:

1. Floor seated in Tampa. GA in Jax
    2. Blood, Got Some, Animal, My Father's Son, Lukin, Sonic Reducer and Life Wasted are my Tampa highlights. But Jax brought my trail blazes. Hail Hail, GTF, Glorified G, Unthought, I Am a Patriot, Spin and Smile, with the kicker being Rockin'. Rockin' is a song whose lyrics are cathartic beyond words, not unlike Smile but in a different way. Some songs just touch us to a greater degree, and therefore enhance the experience.
    3. I was with my best childhood friend in Tampa. Was with my son in Jax.
    4. Ed's intensity just seemed a bit higher, and I fed off it.
    5. In Tampa I was on Stone's side. In Jax I stood in front of Mike and Jeff. Edge to Jax.
    6. My hometown added something, especially this being PJ's first Jax show.
    7. One song I didn't highlight was Setting Forth. Saw Ed on his yuke tour and he was heavy on Into the Wild presses. Giant fan of Krakauer, McCandless and hiking. Getting this song was an easter egg.
    8. Spent 2 hours in the merchandise line and mostly spoke with Corey (pretty sure that's his name). This was his 29th show if memory serves. Local guy with whom we had some shared geographical experiences, albeit across a temporal landscape. So much PJ knowledge he imparted, and sharing bands like NIN, Ministry, etc. added to the musical dialogue. Not an active 10C member to the degree most are (no social connections) it was really nice to make a 10c connection.
    9. The poster. Might seem trivial but I thought it was cool as s^*%. Was it a purposeful dig at the local political/religious powers w/in Jax? I'd like to think so. :)
    10. EV going with Ghost (though The Fixer would have been cool as well), tossing the mic to the crowd, filling cups with wine, teasing us with a crowd jump, doing a small solo string of songs...we loved him and he loved us back.

I won't begrudge anyone's personal experience, as you can see my list is 100% subjective. I'm not concerned where this ranks on the FL list from best to worst, though it is interesting to read why folks feel the way they do. For me both Tampa and Jax were special events, with set lists that had their respective special moments. Jax just had a few more of the moments which heightened the experience.

I hope everyone, even if it wasn't your favorite FL show, still holds onto more good that bad.
    First PJ shows ever!!!
    Tampa 11/4/2016
    Jax 13/4/2016
    Boston 07/08/2016

Eddie Vedder Solo
    Jax 24/11/2012
  • AM278794AM278794 denver, co Posts: 5
    Amazing set. Jacksonville crowd was absolutely the most adult and civil group of 10000 people i've ever seen at a concert. Good on ya Jacksonville. 10 people back from Mike all night and he was on fire. There is no other band on the planet that connects like PJ. Rock on and see you in Greenville!
    given to fry
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    fluff4u said:

So, Ed doesn't get political anymore? His banter seems to be soft and fluffy or sporty. Soft in old age? IDK

It's for the best when playing the perpetually backwards South. In Tampa, as soon as he started talking about the VA some caveman in the pit started screaming "THAT WAS OBAMA" and looked ready to fight his neighbors. In 2008 Ed tried talking about the election in fairly neutral terms (Just get out and vote) and still didn't have the crowd on his side.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974

I cant think to write now....i just cant
    Guys u cant inagine what happen tonight...
    Im over the moon..fuck...

Thank the band and my friends for tonight
    I m so happy..later

So happy for you, Dimitris! What a great moment. I feel like I know a celebrity now, ha.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • iambwf said:

Tampa was my first PJ show. Jax was my favorite of the two. In fairness there are some mitigating factors:

2. Blood, Got Some, Animal, My Father's Son, Lukin, Sonic Reducer and Life Wasted are my Tampa highlights. But Jax brought my trail blazes. Hail Hail, GTF, Glorified G, Unthought, I Am a Patriot, Spin and Smile, with the kicker being Rockin'. Rockin' is a song whose lyrics are cathartic beyond words, not unlike Smile but in a different way. Some songs just touch us to a greater degree, and therefore enhance the experience.
    5. In Tampa I was on Stone's side. In Jax I stood in front of Mike and Jeff. Edge to Jax.
    7. One song I didn't highlight was Setting Forth. Saw Ed on his yuke tour and he was heavy on Into the Wild presses. Giant fan of Krakauer, McCandless and hiking. Getting this song was an easter egg.
    8. Spent 2 hours in the merchandise line and mostly spoke with Corey (pretty sure that's his name). This was his 29th show if memory serves. Local guy with whom we had some shared geographical experiences, albeit across a temporal landscape. So much PJ knowledge he imparted, and sharing bands like NIN, Ministry, etc. added to the musical dialogue. Not an active 10C member to the degree most are (no social connections) it was really nice to make a 10c connection.
    9. The poster. Might seem trivial but I thought it was cool as s^*%. Was it a purposeful dig at the local political/religious powers w/in Jax? I'd like to think so. :)
    10. EV going with Ghost (though The Fixer would have been cool as well), tossing the mic to the crowd, filling cups with wine, teasing us with a crowd jump, doing a small solo string of songs...we loved him and he loved us back.

I won't begrudge anyone's personal experience, as you can see my list is 100% subjective. I'm not concerned where this ranks on the FL list from best to worst, though it is interesting to read why folks feel the way they do. For me both Tampa and Jax were special events, with set lists that had their respective special moments. Jax just had a few more of the moments which heightened the experience.

I hope everyone, even if it wasn't your favorite FL show, still holds onto more good that bad.

Bryan,
    This has to be you. I'm glad you had a great time my friend. And thanks for making that 2 hour line feel like mere minutes.
    -Cory

Bryan,
    This has to be you. I'm glad you had a great time my friend. And thanks for making that 2 hour line feel like mere minutes.
    -Cory

Looks like we both missed on spelling the others name. :) Too many spelling variations.

Was a great show. Couldn't find you, but we waded in around 8:00. Gotta love seeing Mike represent The Kills, while Ament going with Off!.

Enjoy Chicago!
    First PJ shows ever!!!
    Tampa 11/4/2016
    Jax 13/4/2016
    Boston 07/08/2016

Eddie Vedder Solo
    Jax 24/11/2012
  • Lol sorry man. Thanks looking forward to it! I still got Colombia up first though...
  • eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707

So back to the show. The energy was amazing! Had a few drunkards and a wheelchair that almost ruined the night for me and a few others but things calmed and everyone went back to enjoying the music.

SORRY THAT WAS ME IN THE WHEELCHAIR & if it was that big of a deal security would have moved me, & all I was waiting for was someone from the crew to move me to a place still on the floor but just not be in anyones way & really the crowd was so great & chilled that not 1 person bumped in to me, No one got hurt by my chair & No one touched me except a girl here & there checking to make sure I was ok.
    And thanks to EVERYONE around me for being cool even the few that were pissed I was "in there way" yet everything went just fine like I was telling people everything will be ok & it was.

Big thanks to the guy that gave me some medicine .

but if you have spent the last 22 years of sitting up in the nosebleed sections, being on the floor for 1 of your favorite bands .........it was like a flashback to when I was 20 years old again........thanks PJ for letting me have one of my favorite concerts, because that was the last show I will be able to travel to for a long time & I get a lot healthier....hopfuly someday soon.....like by the time PJ 25 happens.

And if I really ruined your night just from being on the floor then read my post I'm writing on the porch of what happened to me after the show......

Lol sorry man. Thanks looking forward to it! I still got Colombia up first though...

Memory fail. Yeah, enjoy that one first!
    First PJ shows ever!!!
    Tampa 11/4/2016
    Jax 13/4/2016
    Boston 07/08/2016

Eddie Vedder Solo
    Jax 24/11/2012
  • So is there a collection of photos from the show somewhere?
    Charleston SC 10-05-96
    Atlanta 4-19-03
    Columbia, SC 6-16-08
    New Orleans 5-1-10
    East Troy, Wisconsin 9-3-2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin 9-4-2011
    Atlanta 9-22-12
    EV 11-24-12
    EV 11-25-12
    Wrigley Field 7-19-13
  • DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    I could careless about how the crowd was. Inwas at all 4 shows and I jammed out so hard and had a blast at each show. There's no way I can compare, all 4 shows had great rarities, and also a lot of hits (which is fine!!)

Tampa I touched Eddie when he was running around GA during porch, so that's why Tampa was MY favorite selfishly.

I was right next to the "Ghost" (Ray) almost the whole night, fucking jamming! Lifted him up one of the times.

Jacksonvilles GA was the must fun dance party, that whole Ghost song was just ecstasy with the whole group around us. Indescribable.
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    Oh and I love them coming out to the REM song It happened today. Never knew that song but it's so uplifting and perfect right before the guys come on stage.
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    photo SCAN0002_zpshyvyspaz.jpg">photo SCAN0002_zpshyvyspaz.jpg
  • curlycurly Posts: 703

iambwf said:

Bryan,
    -Cory
    thanks for sharing your thoughts here... much appreciated... and then to end it with the...
    "people holding onto more good than bad"... which is exactly true...
    ps.. I've been to 17 pj shows now.. will get to my 20th at wrigely this summer... and every single one has since been a magical experience... glad people still show up even when they don't get to hear their fav song... Just awesome, the people we get to meet at these shows and the pj/family/10c/religion we all share... See ya'll in a few weeks in Kentucky...
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    iambwf said:

sorry... my last post was meant for iambwf ...