The Official UFC/MMA Thread

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    igotid88 said:

McGregor and Holm lost? image

McGregor moved up two weight classes and was too confident. Holm got caught when she would have won a decision. Jon Jones better come back strong and follow the law because Dana is running out of superstars.

to be fair, mcgregor is naturally a lightweight. he starves himself to the point of emaciation to cut weight to featherweight. but he should have predicted he'd be much slower and tire much quicker with an extra 20 pounds on. and that reach that diaz has is tough to beat at that weight. going for that takedown was pure desperation on conor's part (which he eve admitted) and he got caught. the guy was incredibly gracious and humble in defeat. a true classy competitor. he talks a lot of trash leading up to it, but even when he wins, he gives props to his opponent. his trash talk makes more money for everyone.

holm got lucky with ronda. if you look at all her past fights, they are lackluster decision wins. it wasn't a big surprise that tate won. can't wait for rousey to come back and smash tate. I can't stand how she has lost to rousey twice and still talks trash about her. just admit it, she's better than you are.

i predict jones will smash cormier. at least I hope he will.
    Agree with all of that.

But I lost a lot of respect for rousey because yesterday she posted something talking trash about Holm. I thought that was unnecessary and disrespectful.
    I can't find anything she said about Holm. link? I gotta admit, I didn't like how, when asked about the loss, she not once (to my knowledge) praised Holm. All she talked about was her mistakes. Kind of bugged me that she couldn't give Holm some praise for defeating her.
    It must have been taken down because I can't find it either.

From what I remember, it said something similar to: people think Holm is a better fighter than Rousey, but Rousey defended her title six times and Holm didnt defend it once.

So basically she's talking trash to a person who demolished her but still has not proven she can beat Holm herself.
    I can see what she means, though, to a point. it would be humble of her to just let sleeping dogs lie and give Holm her due, but at the same time, people are saying she's better than Ronda, which is debatable. that can't be determined until a) she's given Ronda a rematch, and/or b) she goes unbeaten and as dominant as Ronda was for so long. Which we now know won't happen. She lost to the person that Ronda demolished twice.

I think it's safe to say that Holm caught Rousey at a low point. That was her third title defense in a year. that's unheard of in MMA. not to mention all the outside commitments she had. again, no excuses, she should have concentrated on MMA alone. And maybe told Dana no at least once. But she didn't. she wanted to step up every time, and it cost her. But no matter who is the champ, I'd like to see a rematch of Holm and Rousey, which can happen.

a) if Tate's first defense is against Ronda, no matter who wins, should give the next shot to Holm
    b) if Tate's first defense is against Holm, no matter who wins, should give the next shot to Ronda.

This is all assuming Ronda actually wants the belt back instead of just skipping MMA altogether and staying in Hollywood. If Ronda loses again to whomever, my thought is she'll retire.
    I would love to see Tate fight Zingano, Holm and Rousey rematch, and the two winners face.

Imagine the belt changing hands on three consecutive fights with no repeat winners. Too bad their are no battle royals in MMA haha.
    Rousey beat Tate twice
    I know- I saw both fights. I'm referring to the champ Rousey losing to Holm, champ Holm losing to Tate, and champ Tate potentially losing to Zingano.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

igotid88 said:

McGregor moved up two weight classes and was too confident. Holm got caught when she would have won a decision. Jon Jones better come back strong and follow the law because Dana is running out of superstars.

to be fair, mcgregor is naturally a lightweight. he starves himself to the point of emaciation to cut weight to featherweight. but he should have predicted he'd be much slower and tire much quicker with an extra 20 pounds on. and that reach that diaz has is tough to beat at that weight. going for that takedown was pure desperation on conor's part (which he eve admitted) and he got caught. the guy was incredibly gracious and humble in defeat. a true classy competitor. he talks a lot of trash leading up to it, but even when he wins, he gives props to his opponent. his trash talk makes more money for everyone.

holm got lucky with ronda. if you look at all her past fights, they are lackluster decision wins. it wasn't a big surprise that tate won. can't wait for rousey to come back and smash tate. I can't stand how she has lost to rousey twice and still talks trash about her. just admit it, she's better than you are.

Agree with all of that.

But I lost a lot of respect for rousey because yesterday she posted something talking trash about Holm. I thought that was unnecessary and disrespectful.
    I can't find anything she said about Holm. link? I gotta admit, I didn't like how, when asked about the loss, she not once (to my knowledge) praised Holm. All she talked about was her mistakes. Kind of bugged me that she couldn't give Holm some praise for defeating her.

From what I remember, it said something similar to: people think Holm is a better fighter than Rousey, but Rousey defended her title six times and Holm didnt defend it once.

So basically she's talking trash to a person who demolished her but still has not proven she can beat Holm herself.
    I can see what she means, though, to a point. it would be humble of her to just let sleeping dogs lie and give Holm her due, but at the same time, people are saying she's better than Ronda, which is debatable. that can't be determined until a) she's given Ronda a rematch, and/or b) she goes unbeaten and as dominant as Ronda was for so long. Which we now know won't happen. She lost to the person that Ronda demolished twice.

I think it's safe to say that Holm caught Rousey at a low point. That was her third title defense in a year. that's unheard of in MMA. not to mention all the outside commitments she had. again, no excuses, she should have concentrated on MMA alone. And maybe told Dana no at least once. But she didn't. she wanted to step up every time, and it cost her. But no matter who is the champ, I'd like to see a rematch of Holm and Rousey, which can happen.

a) if Tate's first defense is against Ronda, no matter who wins, should give the next shot to Holm
    b) if Tate's first defense is against Holm, no matter who wins, should give the next shot to Ronda.

This is all assuming Ronda actually wants the belt back instead of just skipping MMA altogether and staying in Hollywood. If Ronda loses again to whomever, my thought is she'll retire.
    I would love to see Tate fight Zingano, Holm and Rousey rematch, and the two winners face.

Imagine the belt changing hands on three consecutive fights with no repeat winners. Too bad their are no battle royals in MMA haha.
    Rousey beat Tate twice
    I know- I saw both fights. I'm referring to the champ Rousey losing to Holm, champ Holm losing to Tate, and champ Tate potentially losing to Zingano.
    If that happens it will be like Ronda beat all. I think she can beat Holm
    I miss igotid88
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Agree with all of that.

I keep saying to my buddy who is still a WWE fan that they should have triple threat MMA fights. that would be awesome.

yeah, zingano was the last one to beat Tate I believe, so that fight also makes sense.
    Do a search on YouTube, they are doing big team fights in Russia. Crazy shit! Fun to watch but you can't catch all of the action, people are dropping left and right.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:

Agree with all of that.

I keep saying to my buddy who is still a WWE fan that they should have triple threat MMA fights. that would be awesome.

yeah, zingano was the last one to beat Tate I believe, so that fight also makes sense.
    Do a search on YouTube, they are doing big team fights in Russia. Crazy shit! Fun to watch but you can't catch all of the action, people are dropping left and right.
    I subscribe to this ridiculous group on facebook called"real fights caught on video", and just recently they have started posting those. Crazy stuff.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:

Agree with all of that.

I subscribe to this ridiculous group on facebook called"real fights caught on video", and just recently they have started posting those. Crazy stuff.
    I drop in on the Fight Depot from time to time, it's a crazy world lol
    Jon Jones arrested again. given 5 citations (breach of his probation) for drag racing (he claims he didn't), and a few other bullshit charges (one of them being his vanity plate was covering his insurance sticker-gimme a break). if you watch the video, Jon is fucking pissed. The cop is completely unprofessional. at one point, Jon says something derogatory to the cop, and the cop says "the feeling is mutual, sir". makes it sound like he had it in for him.

Cormier v Jones April 23rd is obviously in jeopardy now.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Such a shame, he is the best ever and it sucks not seeing him in the Octagon.
    Cody Garbrandt has a stiff challenge coming up, if he can beat Almeida he should be in the top 10 in bantamweights
    so Conor McGregor apparently just retired. LOL. And Nate Diaz tweeted "well I guess my work here is done, I'm retiring too". LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so Conor McGregor apparently just retired. LOL. And Nate Diaz tweeted "well I guess my work here is done, I'm retiring too". LOL

The state of MMA is pretty sad right now. McGregor just defend his belt!
    severed hand thirteen

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    there will always be a supply of dopes, coming up the pipeline.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    so McGregor retired. then he unretired. then Dana White said on Friday April 22nd that McGregor is 100% off the UFC200 card. McGregor tweeted to Dana and Lorenzo April 24th that he is happy to announce he is back on the card. Dana White responds saying it's bullshit, confirming yet again McGregor is off the card permanently.

mcGregor is acting like a petulant child. He's probably just bummed now that Jones Cormier 2 will probably be on UFC200, UFC is no longer desperate for him.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    just saw an ad for UFC 198...a buncha no name losers. this "sport" sucks.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

just saw an ad for UFC 198...a buncha no name losers. this "sport" sucks.

you obviously have zero clue about it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Cody Garbrandt CRUSHED Thomas Amnesia!
    He's the real deal!
    Brock is back
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Brock is back

I'm sure some will be upset, but I am glad to see it. Personality aside, Lesnar is a truly gifted athlete and he is capable of whooping some serious ass, he brings a physicality to the heavyweight division that is great to see.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Thank god for weight classes lol
    severed hand thirteen

CM Punk is never going to get in the Octagon. he was signed 2 years ago. he'll retire unbeaten.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    It's amazing that an organization can make boxing look like it is well ran.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Ha, I know. Banning reporters because they are breaking stories?? Dana White is a fucking clown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-s-sad--short-sighted-banning-of-journalists-needs-to-be-fixed-immediately-001337459-mma.html

Ha, I know. Banning reporters because they are breaking stories?? Dana White is a fucking clown.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-s-sad--short-sighted-banning-of-journalists-needs-to-be-fixed-immediately-001337459-mma.html
    Dana White is a fucking prick. an ego maniacal idiot. anyone, especially a PRESIDENT of a sports organization, who goes on twitter when they are "bored" and fat shames and "follower shames" people has some real problems.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Kimbo Slice Dead at 42
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Kimbo Slice Dead at 42

RIP!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

That's bull.
    Yes the UFC and Dana White have maturity problems, but the UFC is a much better run sporting organisation.
    It took a decade to get the 2 greatest boxers of a generation into the ring together, well after they had passed their primes. That is a travesty that would never occur in the UFC, and it is far greater a failure than any of Dana White's...so far.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    White runs UFC like a dictator but at least it functions. Boxing is run by crooks who could care less as long as they get to bilk the system.
    and even DW says "don't leave it in the hands of the judges". on more than one occasion, he and Rogan have suggested the judges were on the take their decision was so blatantly obviously wrong. but he has no control over them. the commission does. He seems to run UFC kinda like Vince runs WWE. A genius asshole.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Jason P said:

White runs UFC like a dictator but at least it functions. Boxing is run by crooks who could care less as long as they get to bilk the system.

That's exactly how I feel.
    CM Punk's first fight might take place at UFC 202 in August.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Jason P said:

For one your grammar sucks. If someone could care less then they care a good bit.

White is a poor mans don King