Dr Dog

Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Anyone here like them?

Their new album "Fate" just came out and it is the best album I've heard all year.

Check em' out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,311
    They rule! I feel lucky to live in Philly and have seen them playing bars the past few years.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    Haven't seen them live yet. I hear they are really something to see. Anyone know if they are coming to Toronto anytime soon?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Just discovered this band and I really love them! So bump for Dr. Dog. :) Listening to Shame, Shame(deluxe edition) right now - such a cool album!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    PJ_Soul said:

Just discovered this band and I really love them! So bump for Dr. Dog. :) Listening to Shame, Shame(deluxe edition) right now - such a cool album!

Check out Fate as well....ohso good is it. Haven't checked out their new one yet. I'm more keen on their older catalog...prob need to give the newer stuff another chance. Check 'em out live if you ever get a chance...they put on a fantastic show!
    jjflash said:

PJ_Soul said:

Check out Fate as well....ohso good is it. Haven't checked out their new one yet. I'm more keen on their older catalog...prob need to give the newer stuff another chance. Check 'em out live if you ever get a chance...they put on a fantastic show!
    Yes, you're right, Fate is really awesome! I have binge-listened to most of their albums over the past week or so, and I'm loving it. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Really digging Psychadelic Swamp.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    ComeToTX said:

I've only heard 2 songs that are released on YouTube. Where did you find it? I thought the full album was supposed to be streaming, but I didn't find that....
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Im seeing them Friday night in Seattle.
    Going in fresh and do not know what to expect.
    Should be fun :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    RobbyD462 said:

They're a great live band. Here in the states they have a small but rabid fan base. I've seen them 3 times, once was right after getting married at the local court house. I'll for sure see them again when they pass through.

Have fun!

RobbyD462 said:

They're a great live band. Here in the states they have a small but rabid fan base. I've seen them 3 times, once was right after getting married at the local court house. I'll for sure see them again when they pass through.

Have fun!
    Cheers thanks I will my buddy raves about them so I said what the hey!

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

I've only heard 2 songs that are released on YouTube. Where did you find it? I thought the full album was supposed to be streaming, but I didn't find that....
    http://www.npr.org/2016/01/27/463990634/first-listen-dr-dog-the-psychedelic-swamp
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    RobbyD462 said:

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!
    edited February 2016
    ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/27/463990634/first-listen-dr-dog-the-psychedelic-swamp
    Thank you! Listened and it's a great album! Some songs are a lot better than others, and it's not their best album IMO, but it's good enough to own, which is saying a lot coming from me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

Thank you! Listened and it's a great album! Some songs are a lot better than others, and it's not their best album IMO, but it's good enough to own, which is saying a lot coming from me.
    What's there best album?

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

What's there best album?
    Well I am brand new to this band, so I'm not the one to ask at all... but so far I'd say, for me, it might be Shame, Shame. Though for all I know, I might be the Dr. Dog equivalent of some newbie PJ fan saying that Backspacer is their best album. :lol:
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

What's there best album?
    I'd say, for me, it might be Shame, Shame
    ^^^ +1 ^^^. Fate is a close second. To do the band proper justice you gotta see them live. RobbyD...hope you have a great time when you see them in a few days :hang_loose:
    Yeah, I agree that Fate is a very close second... might even be interchangeable on the list.
    I actually didn't even know they were touring right now.

(Side note: my little discovery is a good ad for a premium Spotify account. Spotify is REALLY good for discovering new music. Better than YouTube by far (and YouTube is pretty good for that). I only know about this band now because Spotify had it in my weekly mixed tape (a weekly song recommendation list that is based on your tastes but that makes a point of listing songs/artists that you haven't listened to yet; MOST of them are artists I have never even heard of). I'm still in the 3 month $0.99 trial, but I think I will probably end up paying $10/month for it. It's worth it IMO. It's just that it's more work, because I still want to own my own digital music library instead of compiling a library on Spotify, which I wouldn't own. So it's search and discover and save on Spotify, and still go back to Windows Media Player to compile a library made up of what I find on Spotify). But FWIW, Apple of course managed to make sure that Spotify doesn't work too well on Apple devices, since they want Apple users to stick with Apple music. Those fuckers).
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

What's there best album?
    Be the Void. Live at a Flamingo Hotel is also awesome.

Looking forward to the two philly shows this spring. They are great live
    jjflash said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

ComeToTX said:

What's there best album?
    I'd say, for me, it might be Shame, Shame
    ^^^ +1 ^^^. Fate is a close second. To do the band proper justice you gotta see them live. RobbyD...hope you have a great time when you see them in a few days :hang_loose:
    Thanks bud should be fun!

I was going to go in fresh but how I want to listen...

• Has anyone ever noticed that St Vincents lyrics in Digital Witness sound almost identical to DrDog's Heart it races at one point?

Has anyone ever noticed that St Vincents lyrics in Digital Witness sound almost identical to DrDog's Heart it races at one point?

that song is actually a cover

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/dr-dog-covers-architecture-in-helsinkis-heart-it-races-watch/
  • The Fixer said:

Has anyone ever noticed that St Vincents lyrics in Digital Witness sound almost identical to DrDog's Heart it races at one point?

that song is actually a cover

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/dr-dog-covers-architecture-in-helsinkis-heart-it-races-watch/
    Cover or not the two sound a like.
    Lol

• One of the most fun live shows you can see. See them in Philly or NYC for optimal results, but they also translated surprisingly well down in Mexico for MMj's OBH last year. I didn't realize they had such a large fan base across the country. I passed on their last few shows in Philly because I've seen them a bunch but I'm kicking myself because people said it was the best set of shows they've seen them play... So I won't pass again.

Coming to the new Filmore in Philly in a few months but I forget the date.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway

One of the most fun live shows you can see. See them in Philly or NYC for optimal results, but they also translated surprisingly well down in Mexico for MMj's OBH last year. I didn't realize they had such a large fan base across the country. I passed on their last few shows in Philly because I've seen them a bunch but I'm kicking myself because people said it was the best set of shows they've seen them play... So I won't pass again.

Coming to the new Filmore in Philly in a few months but I forget the date.

two shows...st pats day then again on a saturday in april (the 18th i think)
    Saw them last night in Seattle
    Great show had a blast!
    Lots of fun and great people to giggle with.
    Go if given the chance,good times!

I went in fresh,now it's time to start listening

RobbyD462 said:

Saw them last night in Seattle
    Great show had a blast!
    Lots of fun and great people to giggle with.
    Go if given the chance,good times!

I went in fresh,now it's time to start listening

glad to hear you had fun. they're awesome live
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA