Social Media Platforms to document a concert

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245

I do take a lot of photos.

Very clear image, really nice, the tiki bomb
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Just say no to phone photos. :)
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the Headstones show in regina two nights ago, I wasn't there. I go on twitter late at night, and notice that some of my fellow fans are watching something on periscope. So I join in. it's the fucking concert from the front row. why anyone would want to do that while at the show is beyond me, but did I watch it? HELLS YES.

while at shows I don't do anything social media related. scour the web afterwards for pics and videos.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Is your phone digital?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I document my concert experience with my eyes, ears, and other senses...

put the phone away folks, you're missing out on life... and it is very annoying to the rest of us at the show
    my2hands said:

put the phone away folks, you're missing out on life... and it is very annoying to the rest of us at the show

totally. the douche in front of me at the Cornell Songbook concert, IN THE FRONT ROW NO LESS, was recording the entire show on his phone, while looking through it. after the first 4 songs, I finally told him to put it away, and he was a dick about it to boot.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

the Headstones show in regina two nights ago, I wasn't there. I go on twitter late at night, and notice that some of my fellow fans are watching something on periscope. So I join in. it's the fucking concert from the front row. why anyone would want to do that while at the show is beyond me, but did I watch it? HELLS YES.

while at shows I don't do anything social media related. scour the web afterwards for pics and videos.

I can relate to this - haven't done it myself (aside from you tube shit) but can see succumbing to inhaling it from the sidelines if given the opportunity. Sometimes we live vicariously.

That said, when we saw Puscifer last month, I took some photos of the venue beforehand (it was GORGEOUS). Even if the place didn't have a specific ban on taking pics or videos during the show itself, I wouldn't have - seems rude, in a way - plus I was in my own little zone of Zen and love. Still, some did...and the fucking light coming from all of those little devices distracted, irritated.

I give not a fuck if someone wants to document their experience, but please, in the process of doing so, don't take away from others who just want to soak it in without fluff.
    edited January 2016

my2hands said:

totally. the douche in front of me at the Cornell Songbook concert, IN THE FRONT ROW NO LESS, was recording the entire show on his phone, while looking through it. after the first 4 songs, I finally told him to put it away, and he was a dick about it to boot.

99% of the time I actually leave my phone in the car or hotel room, I see no reason why I would need it during a 3 hour concert

please put your phones away people

Post edited by my2hands on
    Ms. Haiku said:

I'd fucking frame that and put it in my living room. NICE.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2016
    Ms. Haiku said:

Is your phone digital?
    my iphone 4 is a piece of crap.

my photos are digital, on a mid level Sony point and shoot camera that allows me to manually control the exposure. it also allows me to hold it to my eye, so I don't have the "screen glow" for everyone behind me.

There's a lot of light at those shows. ISO 800 250th at f2.8 with some adjustments to the files in the machine later.

Post edited by ikiT on
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    my2hands said:

seconded completely
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    None of the above. This is my current cell phone:

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    Wow. Thread really backfired on OP.
    The first way to promote the collaborative experience is by posting images of us "waiting" for the concert to occur. As I wrote before I spend a lot of times in cafes, so I'm starting with this:

Does anyone else know of a PJ "song phrase" that reflects waiting?
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Ms. Haiku said:

Is your phone digital?
    my iphone 4 is a piece of crap.

my photos are digital, on a mid level Sony point and shoot camera that allows me to manually control the exposure. it also allows me to hold it to my eye, so I don't have the "screen glow" for everyone behind me.

There's a lot of light at those shows. ISO 800 250th at f2.8 with some adjustments to the files in the machine later.

It's entirely possible you've just changed my life with those two sentences. I've got a Sony s100. I KNOW I've got those settings.

I've been weaning myself off the shitty cell phone pic habit. I used to take several photos, then a few, then a couple. But I've never gotten a good shot. I've never NOT been disappointed, anyway. Didn't occur to me to try it with the regular camera pre-set. I wanted to get into photography for reals but unfortunately life got in the way.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Indent42: It's entirely possible you've just changed my life with those two sentences.

I know, Indent42! When the tiki bomb wrote ISO 800 250th at f2.8 I thought "I remember that!" My beautiful manual camera went to camera heaven, but I like the images I take with phones.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    all the shows are filmed from the crowd and most of them now are being made into full concert HQ movies, so I usually keep my phone in the car and savor every moment. Then I can go back later and relive it!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Ms. Haiku said:

Indent42: It's entirely possible you've just changed my life with those two sentences.

I know, Indent42! When the tiki bomb wrote ISO 800 250th at f2.8 I thought "I remember that!" My beautiful manual camera went to camera heaven, but I like the images I take with phones.

I like the photos I've seen you post of coffee - but it's a totally different animal when you're dealing with well lit settings. Even my shitty ass Samsung S5 camera can take good photos in natural light, and that thing can't focus for it's life! I actually haven't had it long enough to try concert photos with it but I already know it sucks in tricky light.

I'm looking for my Canon now. I don't know why I called it a Sony. I'm dumb.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    What does the phrase

Social Media Collaboration

mean to you?
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    edited January 2016
    Ms. Haiku said:

What does the phrase

mean to you?

people on social media collaborating?

What does it mean to you?
    my2hands said:

Ms. Haiku said:

What does the phrase

mean to you?

people on social media collaborating?

What does it mean to you?
    People delivering a focused message. Not necessarily the same message. That's a start.

For instance here's an example with Fan A and Fan B

Fan A loves calligraphy, and she is a huge Pearl Jam fan. For fun she created a beautiful calligraphy painting of the words "Given to Fly," and then she posted the image to Instagram.

Fan B has taken videos at concerts, and he is a huge Pearl Jam fan. He has a video of "Given to Fly" from a Boston Concert. He remembers the awesomeness of that version, and he posts that video to YouTube.

At this point the social media part is down, they have the skills to post, they have the content to post, but they are in social media silos.

If there was a place for Fan A and Fan B to post the image and the video, viewers can see an obvious connection in their love of the Pearl Jam song. At the same time the double posting of the image and the video to a collaborative platform (most likely this board) would mean more possible fans of A or fans of B because they are fans of PJ.
  • DeegzDeegz Posts: 64
    edited January 2016
    I enjoy filming at concerts!! I could easily film 10-15mins and not even think twice. I barely look at the screen as I've got my eyes on the show and I love looking back at those videos. To each his own :D

As for the OP's question, I don't post much on social media. HDMI to the T.V and I'm set. I'd love to hear some suggestions for the OPs question though.
    Post edited by Deegz on
    Also, it's like a farmers market - everyone gets a channel for her/his unique voice (product), but they all want the market to succeed. A lot like this board but #PJTour2016 focused and over time an interesting story may develop - and, that is exciting!

I'm asking the social media users and the creative people for help to figure this out.
    edited January 2016

Ms. Haiku said:

I'd fucking frame that and put it in my living room. NICE.

Thanks HFD. with an #iota of access, I could be truly dangerous. Seriously.

For the OP...ponder this, this place is the only social media that matters. :)
    edited January 2016

For the OP...ponder this, this place is the only social media that matters. :)

Yes, I think so. If there is a pre-concert thread to post images and video that reflect anticipation for the tour, please let me know where it is. If this is it, sounds good!

I have a couple things I posted on social media that reflect me thinking about the tour. :)

The mocha was excellent; however, I took a video of the barista and I possibly screwed up her concentration.

Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052

I take a limited amount of pics, maybe no more than 10 on the iphone. I'll post one on instagram and the others on facebook at a later time.

I lied. Somehow I took 200 plus photos and several snippets of video for twitter.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Between two concerts I took six photos and no video. Most of my social media energy in Philadelphia was focused on coffee shops.
    BRAVO! I took WAY too many and only posted a few, but I couldn't help myself, I was right up there.