Social Media Platforms to document a concert

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
What social media platforms do you use to document your concert experience? Do you list the set list as it is revealed through Twitter; do you Instagram images with old and new concert buddies; or is Facebook your one and only social.media platform?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Tagged:

Comments

• AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    edited January 2016
    I enjoy the show while I'm there and don't worry about these things. You'll always have the bootlegs and official merchandise to serve as a reminder that you attended the show. When the lights go down, put your phone away and be in the moment with your fellow fans who are as stoked as you to be there, not the millions of people on the internet that frankly probably don't give a shit.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    AlaG said:

I enjoy the show while I'm there and don't worry about these things. You'll always have the bootlegs and official merchandise to serve as a reminder that you attended the show. When the lights go down, put your phone away and be in the moment with your fellow fans who are as stoked as you to be there, not the millions of people on the internet that frankly probably don't give a shit.

Beauty.

Merch aside - the tangible aside - true resonating documentation of the experience is in my mind.

And beyond.

Hell, last show we saw (Puscifer) I was smiling with eyes closed for a good part.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited January 2016
    I take ALOT of pictures with a real camera, but I don't actively share while I'm there.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    For those who do use social media to share the experience with others, what platforms do you use? In particular how do you document not only the concert experience, but the time before, during and after the experience - the "My Concert" experience.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    I'd rather be more involved with whats happening than staring at a phone and typing...
    If you say that you are going there or that you were there, we'll believe it. You don't have to show us.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I will keep my phone in my pocket for the entire concert, only taking it out to take about 5 pictures during my least favorite song. No videos no matter what.
    I will instagram one of the pictures as I'm leaving the venue with a caption about a cool thing that happened or song they played.
    I will post the picture in my "2016 Concerts" album the next day with a caption of the date, artist, and venue.
    That's it, sweet and simple!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ms. Haiku said:

For those who do use social media to share the experience with others, what platforms do you use? In particular how do you document not only the concert experience, but the time before, during and after the experience - the "My Concert" experience.

Not much of a documenter. I take in the show and may do a writeup here afterward - I enjoy others' writeups on the board here too.

So since you're asking, which one do you use?

R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I take a limited amount of pics, maybe no more than 10 on the iphone. I'll post one on instagram and the others on facebook at a later time.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    I'll take a few pics before and a few during the show. Post on Facebook after the show or the next morning. I did not have Instagram in 2014, but I do now. So, I'll probably post some on there, too. Nothing posted during the show for me.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    I haven't used social media at concerts previously. However, I plan on using Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Boomerang and Vine throughout the day in Philadelphia to highlight the character of that great city. At the concert I may not do much as I can't clap and take images at the same time; however, the crowd is awesome so I may take images during encore. I expect I will take a couple images and a Vine or Boomerang. What I am thinking about is a collaborative social media Pearl Jam fan effort to bring Philadelphia to the world which would include some of the concert. I just haven't figured it out, yet. I love strategy so I will figure it out eventually.

What FrankieG is writing about, his strategy, is basically what I am writing about. Imagine if many of us did our own thing, but used those documents to create a collective PJ Fan experience. It may already be available, like on this board, but maybe we could spice it up a bit.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited January 2016
    My social media platform is my brain.

See Me
    Feel Me
    Touch Me
    Heal Me
    Listening to you, I get the music
    Gazing at you, I get the heat
    Following you, I climb the mountain
    I get excitement at your feet
    Right behind you, I see the millions
    On you, I see the glory
    From you, I get opinion
    From you, I get the story

Nothing better than an actual memory than a documented concert. Sorry. :)
    Post edited by Free on
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    I run out to a pay phone between songs and call my buddy with the set list. He writes everything down in a spiral notebook.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'll take a pic and post it on IG if I have decent enough seats.
    What I am also interested in is ideas of a collaborative social media Philly '16 PJ something. There are many wonderfully creative people on this board. Do you have ideas?
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    edited January 2016
    Why take a bunch of pictures/videos of the city? Thousands of people have captured the same exact thing already and put it on the web for all to see. Just saying you've been there should be proof enough. And viewing the world through a 3x5 inch screen doesn't do it any justice.

Guess I'm just a shitty tourist...
    Post edited by AlaG on
    edited January 2016
    AlaG said:

Why take a bunch of pictures/videos of the city? Thousands of people have captured the same exact thing already and put it on the web for all to see. Just saying you've been there should be proof enough. And viewing the world through a 3x5 inch screen doesn't do it any justice.

Guess I'm just a shitty tourist...

Actually taking pictures of lattes within coffee shops is one of my favorite things to do. If you go in the haiku thread in the poetry section you will see that I write poems with my images. I'm usually by myself and this focus is how I get to know a city. I get to know a city through its coffee. Other people don't capture what I capture. And, coffee shop owners love the free marketing.
    The 2016 Pearl Jam Tour Collaborative Selfie Project.

What do you think when you see this title?
  • For the record, I'm in the same scope of practice as all of the non-social media users and I will enjoy my shows free of any device for 100% of their duration.

BUT the world is changing and what OP asked is something that is widespread practice among MANY people nowadays. So I think by the 2nd post suggesting for OP to not do exactly what her post was trying to get advice for doing, we have enough. If you can help, help!

All that said I'm next to useless with SM, so hope you get some good feedback soon OP!
    edited January 2016
    Selfies are for the narcissistic. I see what you're trying to do, but I prefer to live in the present tense. Good luck.
    Post edited by Free on
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I don't do the documenting, but I THOROUGHLY enjoyed all the periscoping of the latin america shows in November.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    It could be an Unselfie and raise money like the Red Cross during Giving Tuesday. That's a different spin on it.

I was thinking that people could be in the stadium or wherever in Philadelphia with a sign "I'm here at Pearl Jam Philadelphia on April 28 and I hope the play. . ." But it could end up being a giving project.
    A sign with #imhereinPhillythinkingofFlint
    edited January 2016
    #PJPhillyFan4Flint on a sign and take a Unselfie and post on Twitter.

Or #PJFan4Flint

OR to keep it concert focused
    #PJPhillyFan
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    And, to keep the momentum going before a show I could put a piece of paper with

#Waiting4theShow

written on it near the lattes I photograph and get people who see my posts wondering about it.

For those who use social media are you going to get your followers excited about your concert journey?
    To make this 2016 Pearl Jam Tour Collaborative Selfie Project worthwhile it may need to answer a question - maybe something as simple as

"How do PJ fans who are strangers act like when they are seated next to each other at a concert?"

#WeMetatPearlJam
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,491
    on2legs said:

I run out to a pay phone between songs and call my buddy with the set list. He writes everything down in a spiral notebook.

Ha. Nice!
    It sounds as though MH has it figured out. Good luck with your project.

It sounds as though MH has it figured out. Good luck with your project.

Isn't it amazing how this project has morphed in less than 24 hours. Imagine how it will morph in 3 months - very exciting! Yay!
    I do take a lot of photos.