An ongoing home for Pearl Jam (and non-PJ) haiku

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    dead branches hang
    from a tree empty of leaves
    incoming train
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    an empty nest
    witnesses the afternoon
    sky blue, grey blue, grey
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    buildings shed the seasons
    sunrays
    through the clouds
    first snowfall
    of 2016
    fallen
    writing with my other hand
    new year
    edited January 2016
    an urban street
    of light
    winter evening

It's like this image came right at me. I loved the lamp light through the trees. This is one of my favorites images that I created.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    crowned with lights
    city drivers
    reignite their parade
    in the dark
    as I write my 2016 goals
    they continue
    city tree
    with an empty nest
    above melted snow
    faith to finish the mocha
    and to start school
    ready
    grasp the cold
    fold and unfold
    graph paper
    a ruler slides
    to create wall designs
    evening snowfall
    buses stopped
    because of snow
    coffee and silk flowers
    charge the battery
    before the blizzard
    sweet americano
    I could work
    or I can choose otherwise
    pre-blizzard mocha
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Five syllable line
    Then seven syllable line
    Five more syllables
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Haiku are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Stone Jeff Mike Matt Ed
  • All together hue
    Horizons escape me, you?
    All roads lead to Roam
  • vogonpoetbythelakevogonpoetbythelake Posts: 2,146
    edited January 2016
    tis simple tons true
    last resort exit too soon
    blast Chopin's too true
    Post edited by vogonpoetbythelake on
  • tis simple tons true
    last resort exit too soon
    prose wasted her line

• Spill the secret true
    educated in her prime
    po'try weight on line
    a latte at the end
    of a risky walk
    goals are goals
    after snow melts
    a few slippery spots
    New Year’s resolutions
    cars push through
    stop lights
    open sign
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    what
    is
    haiku?
    rollings said:

what
    is
    haiku?

A friction between two thoughts that may or may not connect; most likely includes a reference to nature which helps the poet and reader be on the same page. It doesn't have to explain everything in the moment because inference from the reader adds value to the overall interpretation. Sometimes I read a poem I wrote and I think it means something different than when I first wrote it. A good haiku reflects time of observing.
    a strip of clouds
    behind bare trees
    far away
    behind the streetlight
    without leaves
    it catches sunshine
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    edited January 2016
    Ms. Haiku said:

A friction between two thoughts that may or may not connect; most likely includes a reference to nature which helps the poet and reader be on the same page. It doesn't have to explain everything in the moment because inference from the reader adds value to the overall interpretation. Sometimes I read a poem I wrote and I think it means something different than when I first wrote it. A good haiku reflects time of observing.

I love this explanation! Thanks for answering Rollings' question so well.
    I feel inspired to contribute a haiku with these features. :)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    my upstairs window
    so bright, with a view so wide
    see a morning joy
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&