U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    ldent42 said:

Ohhhhhh fuck yes

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2015/12/17/10431090/usmnt-copa-america-centenario-group-stage-schedule-announced

Paying Philly back for the Gold Cup disaster? Regardless, I am pumped. A Saturday too.

Nice! I'm jealous.
    Final at MetLife, though 0% chance the US is playing.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

Ohhhhhh fuck yes

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2015/12/17/10431090/usmnt-copa-america-centenario-group-stage-schedule-announced

Paying Philly back for the Gold Cup disaster? Regardless, I am pumped. A Saturday too.

Nice! I'm jealous.
    Final at MetLife, though 0% chance the US is playing.
    That toll is $15 now. :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Schedule's up kids!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    ldent42 said:

Schedule's up kids!

Looks like your NYCFC has the 5th toughest schedule, and the toughest in the Eastern Conference. My Sounders have the 3rd toughest schedule in the league.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/07/2016-strength-schedule-rankings

Can't wait for the season to start back up!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

ldent42 said:

Schedule's up kids!

Looks like your NYCFC has the 5th toughest schedule, and the toughest in the Eastern Conference. My Sounders have the 3rd toughest schedule in the league.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/07/2016-strength-schedule-rankings

Can't wait for the season to start back up!
    yea see our problem is the Yankees, needing to use their stadium for baseball games and shit ... selfish bastards. /sarcasm.

I'd LOVE to know more about how/why the schedules are done. I don't see why Seattle has such a difficult schedule at all.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Jordan Morris still deciding whether to play in MLS or Germany. Really hoping he decides to go overseas. Sounds like he is doing pretty well training with Werder Bremen....had an assist in a friendly today.

Jordan Morris still deciding whether to play in MLS or Germany. Really hoping he decides to go overseas. Sounds like he is doing pretty well training with Werder Bremen....had an assist in a friendly today.

As a Sounders fan, I have mixed emotions obviously. I'm sure the money will be much better in Germany. And the level of play is better. But I hate seeing young US guys heading overseas to ride the bench or be loaned out to lower division teams when they could stay at home and actually get serious playing time. In Seattle he'd still have the ability to work with Martins, Dempsey, Evans, Valdez, Ivanschitz and other world class players and have an immediate impact.And of course the selfish side likes to see homegrown players playing for their clubs.
    jeffbr said:

As a Sounders fan, I have mixed emotions obviously. I'm sure the money will be much better in Germany. And the level of play is better. But I hate seeing young US guys heading overseas to ride the bench or be loaned out to lower division teams when they could stay at home and actually get serious playing time. In Seattle he'd still have the ability to work with Martins, Dempsey, Evans, Valdez, Ivanschitz and other world class players and have an immediate impact.And of course the selfish side likes to see homegrown players playing for their clubs.
    I feel like even playing in some of the 2nd tier leagues in Europe is better than the MLS. But I do agree...definitely don't want to see a young guy like Morris go to Europe and sit on the bench. He needs to be playing regularly. I just think WAY too many USMNT players are playing in MLS.

jeffbr said:

I feel like even playing in some of the 2nd tier leagues in Europe is better than the MLS. But I do agree...definitely don't want to see a young guy like Morris go to Europe and sit on the bench. He needs to be playing regularly. I just think WAY too many USMNT players are playing in MLS.
    Agreed, the best thing going for the USMNT right now is Johnson's success in Bundesliga, and Cameron to a lesser extent in the Premier League. If Dempsey and Bradley are the core of the team for the next world cup and have spent 4 years playing in the MLS, we are fucked.

jeffbr said:

Agreed, the best thing going for the USMNT right now is Johnson's success in Bundesliga, and Cameron to a lesser extent in the Premier League. If Dempsey and Bradley are the core of the team for the next world cup and have spent 4 years playing in the MLS, we are fucked.
    Sad that only 2 of the U.S. regulars play in Europe. You can count Howard/Guzan in there too. Altidore coming back to MLS at such a young age was an awful move too. Hopefully some of these young guys like Green, Zalelem, etc.. start to live up to the hype and can be major contributors for this next WC cycle.
    edited January 2016

jeffbr said:

Sad that only 2 of the U.S. regulars play in Europe. You can count Howard/Guzan in there too. Altidore coming back to MLS at such a young age was an awful move too. Hopefully some of these young guys like Green, Zalelem, etc.. start to live up to the hype and can be major contributors for this next WC cycle.
    Yeah, man. I mean, Dempsey is my favorite US soccer player ever probably (outside of my childhood idols in the 94 team), but he is going to be at the end of his career after playing in the MLS for 4 years..forget about it.

Can't count out Brooks and hopefully Yedlin gets more European experience before the next world cup too. There is a good group of young kids, but relying on them is playing with fire. I hope Brooks can earn himself some time in Germany.

jeffbr said:

Yeah, man. I mean, Dempsey is my favorite US soccer player ever probably (outside of my childhood idols in the 94 team), but he is going to be at the end of his career after playing in the MLS for 4 years..forget about it.

Can't count out Brooks and hopefully Yedlin gets more European experience before the next world cup too. There is a good group of young kids, but relying on them is playing with fire. I hope Brooks can earn himself some time in Germany.
    Oh yeah, I love Dempsey too. Hard to see him being much of a factor for the next WC when he'll be 34-35 years old. I'd be surprised if he's even on the team.

I did forget about Yedlin. Nice to see him playing somewhat regularly with Sunderland. And it would be really nice to see Brooks get some regular PT in Germany.

jeffbr said:

Oh yeah, I love Dempsey too. Hard to see him being much of a factor for the next WC when he'll be 34-35 years old. I'd be surprised if he's even on the team.

I did forget about Yedlin. Nice to see him playing somewhat regularly with Sunderland. And it would be really nice to see Brooks get some regular PT in Germany.
    Yeah, I was thinking Morris would follow Yedlin's example of getting a year under his belt as a starter over here before heading overseas. My concern with Morris' situation is that he's just coming out of college. Guys in Europe his age have already been playing professionally for years, and he's been playing abbreviated college schedules, so doesn't have nearly the experience. I do hope if he decides on Werder Bremen that it works out for him. I'll always cheer for American players abroad, and will always cheer for homegrown players from my club's youth academy.
    Did anyone get Copa tickets?
    The MLS season ticket holders presale is only by venue, which sucks. But the bright side is I've got a guaranteed ticket for the quarterfinal at MetLife, and an entry into a lotto drawing for the actual final. Here's hoping I have better luck in that lottery than pearl jams.

I'm going to try for Philly tomorrow. The USA game is on a Saturday, and as long as it's a day game i should have no problems getting the mega bus there and back in a day. (I'm cheap.)
    ldent42 said:

The MLS season ticket holders presale is only by venue, which sucks. But the bright side is I've got a guaranteed ticket for the quarterfinal at MetLife, and an entry into a lotto drawing for the actual final. Here's hoping I have better luck in that lottery than pearl jams.

I'm going to try for Philly tomorrow. The USA game is on a Saturday, and as long as it's a day game i should have no problems getting the mega bus there and back in a day. (I'm cheap.)

I'm on some email list to get tickets. Got an email today that tix go on sale Feb 3rd. Hoping to get tix for the U.S. game in Chicago. Either way, I'll be at that game.

ldent42 said:

I'm on some email list to get tickets. Got an email today that tix go on sale Feb 3rd. Hoping to get tix for the U.S. game in Chicago. Either way, I'll be at that game.
    I have a pre sale Thursday and going to get tickets for the US game in philly
    I understand why they're releasing tickets before the draw, but I wish I knew who was playing before I committed to the venue pass at MetLife

ldent42 said:

The presale thing I just got is only for venue passes for all games played in Chicago. I only want to see the US game.

ldent42 said:

The presale thing I just got is only for venue passes for all games played in Chicago. I only want to see the US game.

ldent42 said:

Ha, I literally just found out the same thing...Guess I'll wait for single games to go on sale.

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Ha, I literally just found out the same thing...Guess I'll wait for single games to go on sale.
    Naturally they try to squeeze every dollar out of you. I would expect nothing less with CONCACAF involved.

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

Naturally they try to squeeze every dollar out of you. I would expect nothing less with CONCACAF involved.
    Yep...
    That's why I bought the venue passes. From the FAQ
    CAN I PURCHASE INDIVIDUAL TICKETS TO MATCHES?
    Due to expected high demand, fans are encouraged to purchase Copa Venue Passes in the early sales period. If any tickets remain, individual tickets would be made available at a later date.

On the other hand if you really only want the one game it's likely that many people bought venue passes and won't be using them for every game so you might be able to get them second hand.
    edited January 2016
    ldent42 said:

That's why I bought the venue passes. From the FAQ
    CAN I PURCHASE INDIVIDUAL TICKETS TO MATCHES?
    Due to expected high demand, fans are encouraged to purchase Copa Venue Passes in the early sales period. If any tickets remain, individual tickets would be made available at a later date.

On the other hand if you really only want the one game it's likely that many people bought venue passes and won't be using them for every game so you might be able to get them second hand.

There is absolutely no way Philadelphia is going to sell out of venue passes. They are obviously guaranteeing you one game (US in Philly/Chicago, Mexico, Brazil or Argentina in other place) to try to fill the stadium for other random games, which isn't going to happen. The chance of 70k people buying 3 games of tickets to see 1 US game, at least here in Philly, is 0%.

Some good things happening from some young U.S. players. Pulisic made his debut for Dortmund today....pretty amazing that a 17 year old American is playing in the Bundesliga for one of the top teams. And Miazga signing with Chelsea....sounds like he won't be put on loan either. Good stuff.
  • ldent42 said:

I grabbed MetLife venue for my family via US Soccer presale. Great seats. A Friday and a Sunday. Looking forward to it. Not worried about quarter final. It's actually set up hoping Brazil-US as it B1 (Brazil) - A2 (US?). And if not, whoever wins Brazil's group will be great. As for group game, it's Brazil's group pot 2 and 3 (so not Brazil). Between Columbia, Chile, Uruguay, etc. odds are a great team and atmosphere. Unless these 3 teams are in different pots which makes no sense (I'm also probably forgetting someone).

Plus, venue pass gets you in lottery for the final. I lost the pj MSG lottery that I would gladly trade for winning that one. Psyched my sons will get to see real world class soccer right at home and not the drek MLS is carting out there. Praying for the soccer gods to smile on us and grant us finals ducots.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    the hype is back in SLC

:yawn:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I like zardes a lot
    Perfect ball, perfect header. Took way too long to score
    Holy shit balls. Miazga made the bench for the PSG game. Pretty much cheering for injuries right about now.

Holy shit balls. Miazga made the bench for the PSG game. Pretty much cheering for injuries right about now.

Yeah, couldn't believe that. Chelsea defense is pretty thin right now with a few injuries. Doubt he would get in there today, but I'm sure he'll be seeing some action soon.