Options

Boehner Will RESIGN From Congress

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,552
Boehner Will Resign From Congress - NYTimes.com
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/boehner-will-resign-from-congress.html?referer=http://news.google.com/

Do you think that what the Pope said got to him and made him feel guilty about what he's done?

Or pressure from the extreme right regressives?

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    Combination I suspect but The Pope carries more weight in this.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    I can't wait to see who the GOP puts in that position now. They are so disfunctional it's hilarious.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Washington (CNN)House Speaker John Boehner is resigning his position as the top House Republican and his seat in Congress at the end of October, a senior leadership aide said Friday.

Boehner announced his decision to colleagues Friday morning, sharing the news with House Republicans during a closed-door conference meeting.

The abrupt decision comes after he faced heavy pressure from conservatives in his party to take a harder line on their causes, most recently over defunding Planned Parenthood.

Boehner, who has served as House Speaker since 2011, explained during the closed-door meeting that he had only planned to serve two terms as speaker but decided to hold onto his post after then-House Majority Leader Eric Cantor lost his seat during a primary last year, a Republican lawmaker in the room told CNN.

Boehner also told the lawmakers that Pope Francis' visit to Congress the day before was a crystallizing moment, according to the lawmaker. Boehner then read the prayer of St. Francis to the conference after announcing his decision.

Boehner's decision came as a shock to many, with his top deputy House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy finding out moments before. McCarthy, a California Republican, is a top candidate to succeed Boehner. Rep. Paul Ryan, the House Ways and Means Committee chairman who was the party's vice presidential nominee in 2012, isn't planning to run for the seat at this time, according to an aide.

A top Boehner aide told CNN the Speaker did not make his final decisions until Thursday night and was very emotional when he announced the news. One Republican in the room said he cried when he made the announcement.

"After yesterday with the Pope he decided to leave on this high note," the aide said. "Literally did not make the decision til last night."

Rep. Greg Walden, a member of Boehner's House leadership, said he had no idea Boehner would announce his resignation this morning and called it a "terrible loss for the party."

Walden said he wondered what the Pope told Boehner that may have affected his decision: "I don't know if this was a message from God but I wish he sent a different message."

The House Speaker is third in line for the presidency after the vice president.

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush praised Boehner in a tweet Friday morning not long after news of Boehner's resignation broke.

"John Boehner dedicated his life to public service. Bringing the Holy Father to Congress was a fitting cap to a great career," said Bush, the former governor of Florida.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/25/politics/john-boehner-resigning-as-speaker/index.html
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Wow! This will sting.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,749
    It sounds like this means an even more conservative Republican party will emerge.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mickeyrat said:

Combination I suspect but The Pope carries more weight in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaaZZN9VYs
  • Options
    McCarthy is next in line....the Tea Party hates him as much as Boner, he's pro-amnesty

Let the clown show continue!!

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yeah, it wasn't the Pope. It was the crazies in his party. Another government shutdown is on the horizon, and he just can't deal with the extremes in his party anymore. Boehner was a Washington deal maker, and always seemed to be able to build consensus. But I think his hands are tied, and the goddamned Tea Party is threatening the shutdown unless Planned Parenthood is defunded. So Boehner is bailing. I don't blame him. Clown show for sure! While I'm not a Boehner fan, I think we could have had a far worse speaker, and may still.
    brianlux said:

It sounds like this means an even more conservative Republican party will emerge.

This is unfortunately what I think we'll see. Exactly the opposite direction they should be going.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Did Boehner resign because of the Republican Far Right? Or did the Pope say "John, you don't have to deal with assholes anymore, Go In Peace."

Lewis Black
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    After four years as Speaker, Boehner has finally created a job.

Andy Borowitz

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Andy Borowitz

That's priceless.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Cool. More time to get drunk and cry. Fuck him. :)
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    mickeyrat said:

Andy Borowitz

this meme won the internet today.

in my opinion of course.

"where are the jobs mr president??"

in the bill he never brought to the floor for a debate. that's where.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    You can't complain about a week in which the Pope came and Scott Walker and John Boehner left.

Andy Borowitz

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I'm hoping the Republicans will come up with a better candidate to elect as Speaker because the person would be third in line for the Presidency and I don't think Kevin McCarthy should be that person. He has trouble speaking and I wonder if he needs a thorough medical exam because it could be something serious. There are maladies with symptoms like that. I'm not trying to be disrespectful...mentioning it as a possibly serious issue. It's important to both sides of an aisle that the best people are in important positions.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    McCarthy just took himself out of contention....at least his brain is larger than a pea

• Options
    That is good news. Now if only the new nominees would be GOP center and not extremists. Both parties have extremists and I think middle-of-the-road is best. You have to have skill to bring opposing sides to agreement, even when those sides are in your own party.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Kat said:

That is good news. Now if only the new nominees would be GOP center and not extremists. Both parties have extremists and I think middle-of-the-road is best. You have to have skill to bring opposing sides to agreement, even when those sides are in your own party.

I hope it is good news, but really have no idea at this point. The problem is that McCarthy took himself out because the conservatives in the house were going to battle against him. The conservatives are calling him Boehner without the spray tan. While I wasn't a Boehner fan by any means, I think there are a lot of whackos on the right who would be much more obstructionist, and much more socially conservative. The Freedom Caucus (a bunch of right-wing crazies) are probably going to have even more influence as there is now a bit of chaos and McCarthy's sudden withdrawal has created a power vacuum. I hope the Republicans can put in a moderate "caretaker" to keep things civil, but think they will instead elect someone who will be more divisive and obstructionist than McCarthy would have been. Either way, the Republicans seem to be doing everything wrong lately in terms of national politics, and I'm sure this will be one more thing that will alienate them from the majority of moderate voters in this country.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Ran across this. I learned you don't have to be a member of the House to become Speaker.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2573731
  • Options
    Kat said:

ain't gonna happen. house freedom caucus will not allow it to happen.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

Kat said:

ain't gonna happen. house freedom caucus will not allow it to happen.
    Yep. Its their way or fuck you.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,749
    Kat said:

I would be happy with extreme leaders - extremely altruistic, extremely conscientious, extremely wise, etc. !

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    brianlux said:

Kat said:

I would be happy with extreme leaders - extremely altruistic, extremely conscientious, extremely wise, etc. !

Ha ha, wouldn't that be great.
  • Options
    i saw that they are trying to convince paul ryan to run. he is resisting. probably because he wants to be president, and most times speaker of the house never gets any higher up the chain than speaker of the house.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    They'll just find someone worse and even more to the right of Atilla The Hun. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
  • Options

• Options
    looks like it is going to be ryan.

this is bad news for the country. he is now beholden to the house freedom caucus.

they are going to run ryan out too.