First PJ song what you ever heard

124»

Comments

• Jeeva1Jeeva1 Posts: 23
    11 years old I saw the Jeremy video on MTV in 1992. Went with my mom and bought the Ten album on my Birthday a month later. .
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Jeeva1 said:

11 years old I saw the Jeremy video on MTV in 1992. Went with my mom and bought the Ten album on my Birthday a month later. .

Damn, we're the same age. I turned 12 in October of that year. My first exposure was Alive as previously mentioned and I get Ten in December of 93 from my dad as well as Core by STP and Pocket Full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors. My Hammer/Kriss Kross and top 40 days were over.

I was thrown for a loop when I hear Alive on the album, though. I was always used to the MTV version and not the radio/album one.
  • Jeeva1Jeeva1 Posts: 23

Jeeva1 said:

Damn, we're the same age. I turned 12 in October of that year. My first exposure was Alive as previously mentioned and I get Ten in December of 93 from my dad as well as Core by STP and Pocket Full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors. My Hammer/Kriss Kross and top 40 days were over.

I was thrown for a loop when I hear Alive on the album, though. I was always used to the MTV version and not the radio/album one.
    I love hearing people from the same generation share such similar experiences. STP ,and Pocket full of Kryptonite were some of my first albums as well. I bought Nirvana Nevermind a couple weeks after I got Ten as well.
    Like you said my days of Vanilla Ice, Hammer, Weird Al were over when I heard PJ. :)

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Garden. A new guy I was dating invited me over and it was playing when I walked into his place for our first come-to-my-house date. He was a fun boyfriend for many reasons, but all these years later, I am most thankful he introduced me to Pearl Jam and the other huge bands of that time. I was a total dork at the time and knew nothing! I always think of Charles when I hear Garden.
  • Go was the first PJ song i heard, been hooked ever since, but i still have vivid memories the first time i heard Alive that song gave me goosebumps and just blew my mind
    edited June 2015
    Jeeva1 said:

Jeeva1 said:

I love hearing people from the same generation share such similar experiences. STP ,and Pocket full of Kryptonite were some of my first albums as well. I bought Nirvana Nevermind a couple weeks after I got Ten as well.
    Like you said my days of Vanilla Ice, Hammer, Weird Al were over when I heard PJ. :)

Oddly enough, I didn't get Nevermind until my senior year of high school. I even bought it with Celebrity Skin by Hole on purpose, have to admit. Got In Utero in Summer of 2003.

No need to be ashamed of Weird Al, though. Look up "national treasure" in the dictionary and you'll see his picture. Weird Al is eternally cool. Let's not forget a certain song he did about EV on his Running With Scissors.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Jeeva1 said:

Jeeva1 said:

Oddly enough, I didn't get Nevermind until my senior year of high school. I even bought it with Celebrity Skin by Hole on purpose, have to admit. Got In Utero in Summer of 2003.

No need to be ashamed of Weird Al, though. Look up "national treasure" in the dictionary and you'll see his picture. Weird Al is eternally cool. Let's not forget a certain song he did about EV on his Running With Scissors.
    Weeellllll I don't wear Doc Martens and I don't wear flannel
    And I don't boycott the music video channel

:smiley:
  • tamisitatamisita Posts: 15

tamisita said:

Mine is a bit of a strange story. I am 44...didn't listen to PJ when i was younger...I was too busy trying to be a grown up to enjoy my young adulthood. Married before I was 20, intensive university education, high finance career building, kids etc. By the time I realized that I had missed out I was in my early 40's and had grown apart from my husband-at-the time. i had met a man who became a friend to me at that time like none other. He understood the angst and the sadness and the fear and the guilt I was facing as I was readying myself mentally to tell my husband of 23 years that I wanted a divorce. While at the airport on my way out to see my husband I was texting this friend who suggested I turn on youtube and listen to the song Better Man. I did. What hit me in that moment sitting in the departure lounge as I sat and listened to the words he sang and absorbed the meaning in it was truly profound. I realized that I was at a crossroads. That I could find a million reasons to stay. To not make the hard choice to leave. But this was my life. This WAS in fact my choice to make. I truly did deserve the chance to find a Better Man for me. As I sat there bawling like a baby in that airport that day it was an awakening of sorts for me. I listened and re listened to Better Man that day over and over again, and then I found and consumed In Hiding and then Nothingman, and Rearview Mirror and Alive and Daughter....and by the time my delayed flight finally took off I had become the oldest new fan I suspect there is.

There is a postscript to this story. Since that day a year and a half ago I have become a student of everything about Pearl Jam; their history; their music and their culture. I have travelled around the world as a disciple of the band...even getting as far as the 4th row from the rail at their concert in Trieste. In less than a year I saw them play 7 times. And that friend that showed me my way to Pearl Jam that day has been by my side at every one of those concerts. And now he is also sharing a home and life with me. I truly have found my Better Man ;-)

Wow nice story even though it's sad. Glade that it ended well for you.
    I think it's super cool you found a way to stand up for your happiness.
    I hope the divorce was smooth and that you both feel you are better off.
    Eventhough it is a sad affair for your ex and yourself. I hope you managed to part in sort of a harmony as you mentioned you have kids. Apart from that I hope you can find a way to look back and smile at those years past and not keep the feeling you missed out. Should work out as you are putting this second chance that you have created to good use.
    I hope you get to see Pearl Jam many times after seeing them 7 times last year.
    I'll think of you when hearing Better man at the next show.
    Thanks for saying that and how sweet to say you will think of me/us when you hear Better Man the next time you see them in concert. I know I do every time.....and the next time for us will be in Santiago and Buenos Aires in November!!!!

Jeeva1 said:

Jeeva1 said:

Weeellllll I don't wear Doc Martens and I don't wear flannel
    And I don't boycott the music video channel

:smiley:
    We'll see how jealous she'll get/When I start stalking Alanis Morissette!
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    What was the first Bad Radio song you ever heard? Or Green River? :grin: