Dorky stuff about the Universe

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

We humans are close to the middle sized object in the universe. The smallest object in the universe is the Planck length or 10 to the minus 35 power m. The known universe is about 10 to the 26 power m. The smallest object is about as many times smaller that we are as the know universe is as many times bigger than we are.

Dorky or profound?

Proof that we are indeed the centre of the universe. Or at least the median.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited March 2015

brianlux said:

We humans are close to the middle sized object in the universe. The smallest object in the universe is the Planck length or 10 to the minus 35 power m. The known universe is about 10 to the 26 power m. The smallest object is about as many times smaller that we are as the know universe is as many times bigger than we are.

Dorky or profound?

Proof that we are indeed the centre of the universe. Or at least the median.
    Haha! Well said, oftenreading!
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

Dorky or profound?

It seems perfect to me, if I were to consider believing in creation, this would be one of the more convincing arguments. Much better than that eyeball intelligent design bullshit.
    Wow- this is so cool that you say this Gambs because I first read about this concept in The New Universe and the Human Future in which Nancy Ellen Abrams and Joel R. Primack propose that a common creative story base on what is known about the universe and its formation would move us away from conflict and closer to problem solving. A long shot that this will happen, to be sure, but an excellent idea worth pursuing nevertheless.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Above photos are artist concepts ... below is the actual photo ...

How amazing is it that we found a way to take a picture of something 4.67 billion miles away???
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    Jason P said:

Above photos are artist concepts ... below is the actual photo ...

How amazing is it that we found a way to take a picture of something 4.67 billion miles away???

Took 9 years to get there.
    Pretty fascinating.
    Mind boggling.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    and on another note...I just read that we are headed for a mini ice age in 15 years...that don't sound like global warming to me...assuming that it really happens.

Godfather.

and on another note...I just read that we are headed for a mini ice age in 15 years...that don't sound like global warming to me...assuming that it really happens.

Godfather.

News from Pluto, GF? LOL!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The light area of Pluto at the bottom kinda looks like Snoopy's head from a profile view.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

Godfather.

News from Pluto, GF? LOL!

LOL ! yea I just pulled that out of the blank spot in between thoughts.

Godfather.

Up close shot reveals mountains 11,000 feet high and proof of water. Also, there is a lack of impact craters

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

Up close shot reveals mountains 11,000 feet high and proof of water. Also, there is a lack of impact craters

Very cool stuff! Water and active plate tectonics would open the possibility for life...wouldn't it be something if there was microbial life way out there!!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Check out this photo on Twitter. Ah oh!

rgambs said:

Jason P said:

Very cool stuff! Water and active plate tectonics would open the possibility for life...wouldn't it be something if there was microbial life way out there!!
    It is,very interesting, for sure ...

So far away from the sun. And mountain ranges similar to Earth. And no meteor impacts! And water!

WATER. So far away ...

Is it a planet from another solar system that drifted into our system somehow? We are in a vast and sparse location within the galaxy but this is some mind boggling info!

Wow!

A friend of ours was one of the people working on the project that took those photos of Pluto. I had thought it was another project he had mentioned a while back but my wife said, no it was this one. Must pick his brain next time I see him. :-)

More on Pluto and its plains, checkout the video from that BBC.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33570131

They say it will take 16 months for all the data to get back to earth.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

This is cool!

http://www.space.com/30627-lunar-eclipse-blood-moon-triple-treat.html

Total Lunar Eclipse Will Bring a Moon Triple Treat Sunday

" This Sunday night moon observers have the chance to see a lunar triple treat, weather permitting.

First, the moon will be full, as it always must be for a lunar eclipse to occur. This is a special full moon, because this is the Harvest Moon. Because the angle of the ecliptic —the path the moon and planets follow across the sky —is low to the horizon, the moon rises about the same time every night, giving farmers an extra supply of light when they most need it, at harvest time.

Second, the full moon will be at its closest to Earth in all of 2015, what is known to astronomers as a "perigee moon." In recent years this has become known as a "supermoon." Perigee (meaning "closest to Earth") occurs at 10 p.m. EDT, the moon being a mere 222,374 miles (357,877 km) from Earth.

The only noticeable effect of a perigee moon is that the ocean tides will be a bit higher than usual for the day of the full moon and the next three days.

The third, and most important part of this treat, is that we will have a total eclipse of the moon. At most full moons, the sun, Earth and moon line up approximately, but because of the tilt of the moon's orbit, the moon passes above or below the Earth's shadow, and avoids being eclipsed."

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Been looking forward to this!

:prayer: that this isn't anti-climactic from our vantage point. Blinds are gonna be wide open come 6:30ish this evening.
    I've got my telescope ready to go.

Peace

g - if in any other thread, this'd sound oh so wrong.

That said, hope you get an eyeful later on!
    hedonist said:

Been looking forward to this!

:prayer: that this isn't anti-climactic from our vantage point. Blinds are gonna be wide open come 6:30ish this evening.

Do you have a roof you can go up on or some other high vantage point? Getting high for such an event is often advantageous, ya know? :lol:

Haha - we're on the 9th floor so should be OK. Either way, to quote Elton, "and I'm gonna be hiiiiigh as a kite by then" =)
    I was looking forward to this rare event but we're getting a lot of cloudage that looks to be too high and thin for rain but probably enough to obscure the view. I think I'll need to be Eight Miles High if I want to see the moon but I'm not sure I'm up to going there, haha!

Up here so high the sky I scrape....

Waiting for the eclipse in my house amongst the trees.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/mars-nasa-science-finding-1.3246527

Mars study finds evidence of liquid, salty water
    15 year old kid located a lost Mayan city based on the constellations:

A 15-year-old boy believes he has discovered a forgotten Mayan city using satellite photos and Mayan astronomy.

William Gadoury, from Quebec, came up with the theory that the Maya civilization chose the location of its towns and cities according to its star constellations.

He found Mayan cities lined up exactly with stars in the civilization's major constellations.

Studying the star map further, he discovered one city was missing from a constellation of three stars.

Using satellite images provided by the Canadian Space Agency and then mapped on to Google Earth, he discovered the city where the third star of the constellation suggested it would be.

businessinsider.com/teenager-discovers-ancient-mayan-city-in-the-yucatan-jungle-2016-5
    How very cool is that, Jason? Not just the discovery itself, but also that a 15-year-old had the curiosity and drive to pursue this.

Go, William!
    Tonight will be the darkest night of the past 500 years

The Earth's shadow will begin to blot out the moon at 1:32 a.m. EST (10:32 p.m. PST). During totality, when the Earth is directly between the moon and the sun, the moon will turn a rusty orange-red for 72 minutes from 2:41 a.m. to 3:53 a.m. EST (11:41 p.m. to 12:53 a.m. PST).
    Europe and Africa will only get a partial view of the eclipse, but for those of us here in the Americas the best times to watch are during those 72 minutes of totality.

io9.gizmodo.com/5715413/tonight-will-be-the-darkest-night-of-the-past-500-years
    Jason P said:

Tonight will be the darkest night of the past 500 years

The Earth's shadow will begin to blot out the moon at 1:32 a.m. EST (10:32 p.m. PST). During totality, when the Earth is directly between the moon and the sun, the moon will turn a rusty orange-red for 72 minutes from 2:41 a.m. to 3:53 a.m. EST (11:41 p.m. to 12:53 a.m. PST).
    Europe and Africa will only get a partial view of the eclipse, but for those of us here in the Americas the best times to watch are during those 72 minutes of totality.

io9.gizmodo.com/5715413/tonight-will-be-the-darkest-night-of-the-past-500-years

Wow!

But it will probably be cloudy and rainy here as usual, obscuring any view.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

The light area of Pluto at the bottom kinda looks like Snoopy's head from a profile view.

I actually thought it looked like Pluto the disney dog. how fucking weird is that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

If a Star Destroyer going at warp speed set it's coordinates to slam into a planet, wouldn't it cause global extinction and negate the need to build a Death Star?

Think about it. Man, the empire could have used a guy like me.