Signs: What do you see posted when you are out and about?

deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I read signs all of the time. I find them in some of the weirdest places. I've found a few gems and figured if I've found some funny ones, some people here may have as well.

It's about signs, people.

The signs you find at the turnpike bathrooms:
photo zAVcoUaPFve7371D35IeRF9lJI5tQHU5lvHPde8iaKMsSxTTJ_zpsglrzcaac.jpg This one is from Pennsylvania.

The signs that you find when stopping at the turnpike visitor centers:
photo 120816_0000_zps7f268vsg.jpg Another Pennsylvania gem. Yes, my husband went hunting for the rattlesnakes they warned about. He didn't find any.

The crappy, homemade signs hung at work:
photo 130319_0001_zpsabgmp4yw.jpg

The response you may leave after you rip said sign down:
photo 130320_0000_zps7pudzgpt.jpgMy coworker has a problem with putting signs up everywhere. She stopped for a while after this one.

Yet another sign providing a lovely little factoid:
photo DSCN6239_zpsighjiy0c.jpg Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh. Seems that we find all of the weird ones in PA!

Keep an eye out. Entertain us with what you find.
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
Post edited by deadendp on
Tagged:

Comments

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Artistic treatment of a road signs from Firenze, Italy.
  • I was visiting Toronto about 8yrs ago and saw this sign and took a pic on my phone. (Not my pic. It is from google)
    It was funny to me and I emailed the pic to my parents.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Oh man I love this thread. I have a few gems but it would require going through a LOT of pix. I'm lazy.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    ldent42 said:

Oh man I love this thread. I have a few gems but it would require going through a LOT of pix. I'm lazy.

I gotta find my pic of the shin from the 215 fwy outside of Calexico! It's freakin hilarious!
    edited July 2015

These signs are all over in SoCal.. They start at about 20 miles from the Mexico Border. We never realized how funny they really are Gil we left SoCal, and no one believed us! So I took this pic to show the Joplinites, that yes, we really had these signs... I love how they're just dragging the kid.. Who's just hanging on for dear life on the sign!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

What the hell is that supposed to be warning people against? Do you often have random families running amok on your roads?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ Peeps who are running the border, yes.

I love the signs so far! Elderly crossing, people dragging children and fun signs from Italy. Can't wait to see what else you guys come up with!
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

These signs are all over in SoCal.. They start at about 20 miles from the Mexico Border. We never realized how funny they really are Gil we left SoCal, and no one believed us! So I took this pic to show the Joplinites, that yes, we really had these signs... I love how they're just dragging the kid.. Who's just hanging on for dear life on the sign!
    I think this could be a sign when those fast moving FIRES hit S. California. So watch out for fast moving families crossing, running in your roads.

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Saw this on a trip to Savannah a few months ago:

Saw this one at the grocery store:
    Still trying to figure out what a ballon is?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good thread, deadend!

I saw this one recently (online), and fortunately, it's one of many -
    edited July 2015
    ^^ That is awesome! (More specifically, very caring for them to do that.)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2015
    This sign is in Missoula, Montana, on the street outside a bar I was at. Lol. They should have these in all party districts.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    deadendp said:

^^ Peeps who are running the border, yes.

I love the signs so far! Elderly crossing, people dragging children and fun signs from Italy. Can't wait to see what else you guys come up with!

Wow, crazy. I had no idea these existed!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    From Australia
    Susan asked me to post these for her here.
    From her record store guy, advertising a pop up shop coming up:
    ^^^ and now I
    Have had that song stuck in
    My head all day!!
    PJ_Soul said:

This sign is in Missoula, Montana, on the street outside a bar I was at. Lol. They should have these in all party districts.

This has me cracking up!!
    So.. For THE longest time, I took pics of stupid shit I saw as I drove from state to state. I sent out a request this morning to everyone that ever took pics of my pics of stupid shit. And over the next few days, as ghey're come in.. I 'lol post them.. So one of these signs is from Ar. The other two are from Texas. Incidentally they are all speed limit signs!!
    This was on a side street in Mountain Home Ar.:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Here is a parking sign here in Seattle...

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited July 2015

This was at the beginning of the four mole driveway of Flash Ranch where I worked for a year in San Angelo Tx. Yes.. They laughed at me for making them stop so I could photograph it!! I couldn't replace the pic I'd list of this. So my good friend Brandon sent me it again!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    ^^^^ these go to 11.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    And this one I Can't remember what city we were in in TX.. But this was in an apartment complex. We were there to collect a ranch hand. I was totally stoned when
    I first saw it.. Nd I
    Almost couldn't get the pic, I was laughing so hard!
    I'm lazy and don't feel like downloading my pics from camera to photobucket, but I'm not the only one who ytook a pic...

Outside of Sequim (pronounced like 'swim' but with a 'q'...squim)

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    :giggle:

I think this was spotted in Belgium but I forgot

This was on the coast outside Melbourne, by the 12 apostles.

Yikes

Gangsta swans

don't drink and drive!

That time I found Ferngully in Stewart Island (New Zealand)

This was an actual shirt actually on sale in an actual dunkin donuts.

This was on an actual airplane safety insert thing in am actual airplane circa 2009. Seriously.

Not sure why but I found this hilarious, I'm sure there's a horticulturalist on here who will tell me off for it but I'm ok with it.

Finally, an oldie but goodie. As seen from the bqe, my personal favorite, Cheese.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    :rofl:
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    RKCNDY said:

So can you decode that bad boy?

photo OP 43_zpss0fmeoze.jpg
    Sign at the wood bin at Kentuck Campground- Ohiopyle State Park, PA.
    photo OP 44_zpsyg0r8neo.jpg
    Idlewild Park. (An amusement park south of Pittsburgh.) This was in the Story Book Forest.
    photo TIV weekend 1_zpsavcorzev.jpg
    The plate frame on the TIV. We went to Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh to meet the TIV team and see the IMAX film Sean worked so hard on during the filming of Storm Chasers.
    deadendp said:

RKCNDY said:

So can you decode that bad boy?

Yes, 2 hour parking unless you have a zone 6 permit. No parking west of the sign, basically past the sign. No parking during the dates listed, basically during Husky games.

Hey, it's free, so no complaints. :)

- Christopher McCandless