I find Dave Grohl is not a very talented singer/songwriter

Comments

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

I love him. My respect for/of him triplified when I read this " I'll never forget the first time I sat around a back lounge of a bus watching people do cocaine. Nobody took their eyes off the tray of coke. Urgh. They were vultures. It just seemed dark and fucked-up to me. I know that the day I get my face in a pile of cocaine is the day that it all goes straight fucking downhill."

lol so you have respect for him because he doesnt do cocaine?

I've just realised that's how it read lol

Nah I just remember reading that & wishing my ex had the same sort of will power.

Anyway I'm gonna derail the thread does anyone wanna take over & hate on Dave?
    with that face you can derail all you want! ;)
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    You remind me of my douche bag friend that always hates on the Beatles just because they don't play the music he like, And I know everybody here is a Beatles fan and knows they are beyond talented. Come on man Grohls great give respect where it's due...
  • Treyert14 said:

You remind me of my douche bag friend that always hates on the Beatles just because they don't play the music he like, And I know everybody here is a Beatles fan and knows they are beyond talented. Come on man Grohls great give respect where it's due...

So theres no bands or musicians out there that you dont like? I just don't like him thats it. I was seeing if anyone else felt the same way. He's overrated.
    Even if any of you feel different my thoughts won't change.
  • I wouldn't use the term sucks when referring to any artist who has achieved the ability to make a living off their art. I prefer the phrases "overrated to me" or "I just don't get why they are popular". I like the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl. I would use those phrases for his previous band Nirvana though. I just never could get into them.
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    edited February 2014

I wouldn't use the term sucks when referring to any artist who has achieved the ability to make a living off their art. I prefer the phrases "overrated to me" or "I just don't get why they are popular". I like the Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl. I would use those phrases for his previous band Nirvana though. I just never could get into them.

I had something to say but Nevermind. Haha, oh man. For real though I did have something to say but turns out I just read your post wrong.
    Post edited by EarlWelsh on
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    yes, he does :P
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • JT214511JT214511 Los Angeles Posts: 36
    edited July 2015
    Call me a troll, but my personal opinion is that the Foo Fighters are generic, super radio-friendly bro rock with catchy, but annoying, melodies. Sure, they're not exactly the same as Nickelback, but to me they're in the same class as Nickelback. I won't question Dave Grohl's authenticity, but if what he shows the public is his authentic self, then it is way too cheesy for my taste. Everyone lauds Dave Grohl's rock and roll "fuck you attitude" but compared to Vedder and Pearl Jam, Grohl and Foo Fighters seem so rehearsed and professional, which is the antithesis of rock in my book.
    Post edited by JT214511 on
  • JT214511 said:

Call me a troll, but my personal opinion is that the Foo Fighters are generic, super radio-friendly bro rock with catchy, but annoying, melodies. Sure, they're not exactly the same as Nickelback, but to me they're in the same class as Nickelback. I won't question Dave Grohl's authenticity, but if what he shows the public is his authentic self, then it is way too cheesy for my taste. Everyone lauds Dave Grohl's rock and roll "fuck you attitude" but compared to Vedder and Pearl Jam, Grohl and Foo Fighters seem so rehearsed and professional, which is the antithesis of rock in my book.

I don't think having a sound that appeals to everyone is a bad thing.

Working your music a bit is not a rock and roll faux pas. Are you telling me that... oh... say 'Let it Die' is rehearsed and professional, while 'The Fixer' isn't?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    We all have different taste and personally,I wouldn't cross the street to see the FOO FIGHTERS (possibly the worst band name ever) or GROHL
    Don't rate the guy at all.
  • GardLivingston89GardLivingston89 Posts: 942
    edited July 2015

JT214511 said:

Working your music a bit is not a rock and roll faux pas. Are you telling me that... oh... say 'Let it Die' is rehearsed and professional, while 'The Fixer' isn't?
    I feel like hes saying that Dave Grohl himself as a person seems to be a bit full of himself and ridiculous with a " I rock man, rock on, ya totally man" attitude where Eddie just kind of doesn't seem like such a fool in that way I guess you'd say. He just plays the music and naturally puts on a good show and isnt so damn annoying. Thats where Dave Grohl himself almost seems rehearsed like hes just putting on a act and its not real hes not feeling it like Eddie does. You can hear it in there music to, Pearl Jams real they dont need to rehearse it, it just comes out naturally when they play. But you can hear in Dave's lyrics and his voice he doesn't feel to much clearly his words aren't even close to as deep as Eddie's. You think they would have like one killer tribute song to Kurt Cobain but they probably dont because Daves writing sucks. He should of just stayed as a drummer and let someone that knows what there doing be the frontman. Dave also has to be everywhere which annoys me. Hes all about the media to it doesn't matter where you are your hearing about Dave Grohl in some way. He is definitely the type of person to have a series on HBO, I wasn't surprised lets just say that. If Kurt were to look at Dave Grohl right now i'm sure he would think hes a joke, not that it really matters but Dave definitely went in the complete opposite direction on how Kurt was feeling.

Post edited by GardLivingston89 on
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    You're a troll. You asked. Just think, there's plenty of stuff that you like that suck as well.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • I'm not surprised at some of these comments. I disagree with the negative spin towards Grohl. Just like I disagree with the negative spin some people have towards Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam- they have their critics too. Dave Matthews gets flamed here all the time- that band is awesome and hardly pretentious. In other words, some people don't get it.

Hating Dave Grohl doesn't make one more of a purist or have rich tastes. My buddy argues with me all the time about Grohl. He goes as far to say Jack White is a bigger rock star- more worldly renowned. What an idiot.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited July 2015
    Like the say, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink" :lol:
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

I hear ya. Sorry if I upset anyone just wanted to see if anyone felt the same way.

I dunno, the vitriol or level of "hate" in your original and early posts here just seem to come out of left field. It's fine if you don't like his music, or think he's overrated, but what else made you actually go to through the trouble of starting a thread about how much you don't like him? Did our girlfriend just break up with you to follow the Foos on tour or something?

I get not liking him. Me, I think he's super talented as a musician and I like a lot of his projects, but the last 2 times I saw the Foos I thought most of their music sounded the same. Still, early Foos live was amazing, and I still think he's a great musician. But I'm not some "All Dave Grohl, all the time" person, so I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like him or even feels as strongly as you do.

All that said, I still don't get the strong emotion of your first posts. You just hate him because you think he's not good and he should have stuck to drumming?? I don't get it. Why does that bother you so much about him? And is he really the "suckiest" famous musician out there that you can think of? My list could probably get to 40 current bands/artists before I'd even consider the Foos, and actually overall, they wouldn't show up on my "suckiest" list at all. Too many other bands vying for that dishonor lol!

Sooooo... why do you feel so strongly about this that you actually started a thread on it?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    JT214511 said:

I totally agree about your analysis of FF's music. I find it unlistenable.
    But I like Dave Grohl's personality, so he doesn't suck. Just his music sucks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited July 2015

JT214511 said:

I feel like hes saying that Dave Grohl himself as a person seems to be a bit full of himself and ridiculous with a " I rock man, rock on, ya totally man" attitude where Eddie just kind of doesn't seem like such a fool in that way I guess you'd say. He just plays the music and naturally puts on a good show and isnt so damn annoying. Thats where Dave Grohl himself almost seems rehearsed like hes just putting on a act and its not real hes not feeling it like Eddie does. You can hear it in there music to, Pearl Jams real they dont need to rehearse it, it just comes out naturally when they play. But you can hear in Dave's lyrics and his voice he doesn't feel to much clearly his words aren't even close to as deep as Eddie's. You think they would have like one killer tribute song to Kurt Cobain but they probably dont because Daves writing sucks. He should of just stayed as a drummer and let someone that knows what there doing be the frontman. Dave also has to be everywhere which annoys me. Hes all about the media to it doesn't matter where you are your hearing about Dave Grohl in some way. He is definitely the type of person to have a series on HBO, I wasn't surprised lets just say that. If Kurt were to look at Dave Grohl right now i'm sure he would think hes a joke, not that it really matters but Dave definitely went in the complete opposite direction on how Kurt was feeling.

This is too funny! Dude you're really on a mission, this guys has really gotten under your skin, hasn't he? Well, again, you are totally entitled to your opinion. And just because others here or even the folks in Pearl Jam love him (and make no mistake, the members of PJ consider him a VERY CLOSE FRIEND and a musician they admire tremendously), that doesn't mean you need to love him or even like him.

That said, I find it totally ironic that some of the people you're holding up as being so real and superior musicians LOVE Dave Grohl and most of what he stands for. I witnessed with my own very eyes, the year the Foos started and toured with Mike Watt and Hovercraft, I witnessed Ed kinda hiding behind a speaker onstage watching the Foos set and ROCKING THE FUCK OUT. He was ALL IN, he was having such an intense time.

And seriously, if overexposure is bothering you that much, I find it that much more crazy that Dave Grohl is whose media presence you're disgusted with! Seriously? Which of his media projects to do you find so distasteful, and why are they so much worse than Lady Gaga or U2 or Maroon 5? They are so much more dramatically over-exposed (although I still like a lot about U2 and even Lady Gaga from a showmanship perspective), why is it Dave Grohl that you've targeted for despising every aspect of his presence? To be honest you sound really bitter about something and it's a total mystery why...?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Hey DG doesn't suck, he can't.....why because he loves him some RUSH.

PEACE
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Everyone thanks for the laughs

IBTL
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    smarchee said:

no he doesn't, but this thread does

Boom!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave is bad ass and keeps it real.
  • JH6056 said:

JT214511 said:

This is too funny! Dude you're really on a mission, this guys has really gotten under your skin, hasn't he? Well, again, you are totally entitled to your opinion. And just because others here or even the folks in Pearl Jam love him (and make no mistake, the members of PJ consider him a VERY CLOSE FRIEND and a musician they admire tremendously), that doesn't mean you need to love him or even like him.

That said, I find it totally ironic that some of the people you're holding up as being so real and superior musicians LOVE Dave Grohl and most of what he stands for. I witnessed with my own very eyes, the year the Foos started and toured with Mike Watt and Hovercraft, I witnessed Ed kinda hiding behind a speaker onstage watching the Foos set and ROCKING THE FUCK OUT. He was ALL IN, he was having such an intense time.

And seriously, if overexposure is bothering you that much, I find it that much more crazy that Dave Grohl is whose media presence you're disgusted with! Seriously? Which of his media projects to do you find so distasteful, and why are they so much worse than Lady Gaga or U2 or Maroon 5? They are so much more dramatically over-exposed (although I still like a lot about U2 and even Lady Gaga from a showmanship perspective), why is it Dave Grohl that you've targeted for despising every aspect of his presence? To be honest you sound really bitter about something and it's a total mystery why...?
    I think me not liking him is bothering you to much. I just think he's extremely overrated and that there's a lot better singer/songwriters out there, like way better. I never once said I really liked any of those bands or artists you mensioned but at least they can all sing.Could care less if Eddie likes them main video of Dave with Pearl Jam is them playing kick out the jams and they really could of done it without him head banging with a tambourine like a idiot. I also still doubt Eddie would throw on a Foo Fighters album after knowing what music hes in to. I made this thread just to see if anyone else felt the same way but clearly im preaching to the wrong crowd. Just do one thing for me and name one good Dave Grohl line where it actually hit you and you were like shit thats a great line. Or show me one video where his voice even sound remotely good.
    Even though I do not have one FFs album I have admire his tenacity, and admiration towards his fans. The man broke a bone in his foot during a concert some weeks ago, went to the hospital then came back on crutches and FINISHED the stadium concert.

As a music fan ya gotta love that kind of dedication. He's STILL touring stadiums all be it sitting on a thrown in a cast, playing and singing for his fans. I'll salute that kind of heart and soul everytime. Besides like I said he loves him some RUSH!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Somebody should post that video of him playing over the weekend, im on my phone waiting at the DMV.

PEACE

• I watched it its slightly impressive , singing is still horrible tho and it also just seems like something he would do. "Ya man im up here playing with a broken leg everyone look at me in my cool thrown". Heres something more impressive http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/05/22/20-tough-athletes-who-played-through-injuries/
  • I watched it its slightly impressive , singing is still horrible tho and it also just seems like something he would do. "Ya man im up here playing with a broken leg everyone look at me in my cool thrown". Heres something more impressive http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/05/22/20-tough-athletes-who-played-through-injuries/

You're going to see and assume the worst of him no matter what he does.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :scream:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

I watched it its slightly impressive , singing is still horrible tho and it also just seems like something he would do. "Ya man im up here playing with a broken leg everyone look at me in my cool thrown". Heres something more impressive http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/05/22/20-tough-athletes-who-played-through-injuries/

You're going to see and assume the worst of him no matter what he does.
    It does seem that way.

I wonder how GardLivingston89 would feel if Eddie Vedder did the exact same thing under the exact same circumstances.... Would he be angry with Eddie for being an attention whore?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • No because Eddies not already a attention whore and i sure doubt hed be playing on a thrown

No because Eddies not already a attention whore and i sure doubt hed be playing on a thrown

I'm saying if he did.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    there is no pretentiousness in Dave Grohl
    however, I doubt that is the case with the OP
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I dont know this is really going no where guys. I just dont feel the same way you do.
This discussion has been closed.