Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    I hope there will be good news soon.. x
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Wow! Hard to believe that it's been 8 years. Kat, keep fighting the good fight. I know you are. Lost in Ohio has your back & so do the rest of us whom are sympathetic to the situation. I think of Brian often, especially so when listening to my boots of Cincy '06 & Cbus '10. Found myself back in Cincy Wednesday & hoped that maybe Ed would mention Brian & update the issue, but alas, nothing. Still wishing & hoping that he comes back safe.

It's a tricky situation for me. I'd LOVE to have a phone call with or meet the 10C people (and maybe some of the band) and have a chat on the situation but I'm a realist and realize that will probably never happen...and I wouldn't do it for a chance to go "all fan" on Ed, but it would be nice to talk to him.

During the 2006 tour, someone tossed a poster and one of the t-shirts (with poster printed on it) at the band at one of the shows and I think that's how he mentioned it in Cincinnati. Brian also had several freinds and family there and I have a feeling Ed knew of that. For the 2010 Columbus show, I think we had some people who contacted 10C and requested that the mention happen. In 2010, I had a very strong feeling that a mention would happen...I just didn't know when. It's a tricky thing because I know a lot of people just want to rock out and Ed has a lot of stuff to talk about between songs and I really don't want to cram the issue down people's throats.
    I remember! I was at that show, wearing my homemade missing PJ fan shirt. It's been a long time since I checked in here but I did wonder about him once in a great while. I get confused with Cleveland and Cincy. My memory is bad these days. :) Cincy was the best show for me on that tour.

I'm glad that you're still not giving up after all these years. Remember EV didn't give up on the WM3 for how long? Yeah.

Keep it up with your faith and the fight.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    I just posted this on the facebook pages:

Nine years ago tonight, before the Avacado album was released and before that awesome Canadian tour, Ten Club member Brian Shaffer went to a bar in Columbus Ohio and was never seen again. As Eddie said during the 5/6/2010 show, "it feels like he's one of us."
    I never met him, but was walking to class when I saw a flyer posted with the stickman logo on it. Thinking it was something about a tribute band show, I thought nothing of it until a few days later when I saw that same poster and started a thread titled "Central Ohio Pearl Jam fan gone missing..." Through some connections made to some absolutely wonderful people, that thread made me realize just how wonderful the 10C is, as I had joined 10C just a few tears prior in January 2003 in time for Riot Act tour tickets.
    We may not always get along, but when Ed tells us to be safe and look out for each other, we really do pull through as one.
    For more information, check out www.findbrianshaffer.com.

Addendum: That is just absolutely astonishing that someone hasn't been seen or heard from since before Avocado. The last "new releases" he heard of were the RVM "best of" and Lost Dogs stuff. He's only heard two new releases with Matt on drums....Binaural and Riot Act. A 10C ticket was about $50 USD during the 2003 USA tour. My first 10C holiday vinyl was the "big one" with the live version of Reach Down which people got in their mailboxes about April-ish 2004.

After that 2003 tour, they took some time off and I think Stone or Jeff released some side project stuff...at least that's what I remember reading in the 2003 member newsletter which looked like a CD booklet filled with photos and setlists from each night of that tour.

I have zero idea the status of Brian's 10C account. I know it was donated to for a while in order to "keep it alive" but beyond that is anyone's guess.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    IamMine said:

Wow! Hard to believe that it's been 8 years. Kat, keep fighting the good fight. I know you are. Lost in Ohio has your back & so do the rest of us whom are sympathetic to the situation. I think of Brian often, especially so when listening to my boots of Cincy '06 & Cbus '10. Found myself back in Cincy Wednesday & hoped that maybe Ed would mention Brian & update the issue, but alas, nothing. Still wishing & hoping that he comes back safe.

It's a tricky situation for me. I'd LOVE to have a phone call with or meet the 10C people (and maybe some of the band) and have a chat on the situation but I'm a realist and realize that will probably never happen...and I wouldn't do it for a chance to go "all fan" on Ed, but it would be nice to talk to him.

During the 2006 tour, someone tossed a poster and one of the t-shirts (with poster printed on it) at the band at one of the shows and I think that's how he mentioned it in Cincinnati. Brian also had several freinds and family there and I have a feeling Ed knew of that. For the 2010 Columbus show, I think we had some people who contacted 10C and requested that the mention happen. In 2010, I had a very strong feeling that a mention would happen...I just didn't know when. It's a tricky thing because I know a lot of people just want to rock out and Ed has a lot of stuff to talk about between songs and I really don't want to cram the issue down people's throats.
    I remember! I was at that show, wearing my homemade missing PJ fan shirt. It's been a long time since I checked in here but I did wonder about him once in a great while. I get confused with Cleveland and Cincy. My memory is bad these days. :) Cincy was the best show for me on that tour.

I'm glad that you're still not giving up after all these years. Remember EV didn't give up on the WM3 for how long? Yeah.

IamMine said:

The Cleveland 2006 show, which I also have (and I think I may have the Detroit 06 show too) was when the Cavs were going against the Pistons in the NBA playoffs. Ed knew about that and made references to the playoffs in both Detroit and Cleveland.

I didn't go to the Cincinnati 06 show, but it would have been fun. On a personal note, it keeps my 100% Yellow Ledbetter streak alive. ... that Cincinnati 2014 show though? Fun stuff.

And you're completely right about the WM3. As the great Jim Valvano said during his ESPY award speech..."Don't give up. Don't ever give up."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I remember this thread like it was yesterday, and it's been 9 years. It's crazy how someone can go missing for 9 years and not even check in with family or friends. My take on this has always been 2 things, he was just tired of it all and went "into the wild" or he was killed and the killer(s) are being super quiet. In some way I sorta feel I have a connection to him with our first name's being Brian. At this point I hope the family of Brian and his friends can get closure.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• dmbkcdmbkc Posts: 63
    wow
    www.kcsfc.net
    10.12.2000 Bonner Springs / 6.12.2003 Bonner Springs / 5.3.2010 Kansas City / 10.3.14 St Louis / 8.20.16 Chicago
  • Natascha35Natascha35 The Netherlands Posts: 25
    I'm new to this Forum, from the Netherlands. Just read the entire thread the last 2 days, amazing what some of you have done to help find him. So sad he still hasn't been found :(
  • I'm new to this Forum, from the Netherlands. Just read the entire thread the last 2 days, amazing what some of you have done to help find him. So sad he still hasn't been found :(

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new to this Forum, from the Netherlands. Just read the entire thread the last 2 days, amazing what some of you have done to help find him. So sad he still hasn't been found :(

Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you! Been a fan since 92, but only a ten club member since this year :blush:
    edited December 2015

Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you! Been a fan since 92, but only a ten club member since this year :blush:

What took ya so long? :tongue:

That early member number.... oh well, can't regret the past.

I was first aware of the band in probably 95 or so when Immortality was a radio hit. It faded out a bit (as did the entire band) and then was "reborn" to me in 1999 when Last Kiss and the Two Legs version of Small Town were on radio a lot, but I wasn't a really "mega" fan until about late 2000/early 2001. I joined 10C in Jan 2003 when it was $15. I took a bonus year at the $15 price when they announced the mid-year price increase to $20.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    aus_suz said:

I hope there will be good news soon.. x

^
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016

Welcome to the forum!

What took ya so long? :tongue:

That early member number.... oh well, can't regret the past.

I was first aware of the band in probably 95 or so when Immortality was a radio hit. It faded out a bit (as did the entire band) and then was "reborn" to me in 1999 when Last Kiss and the Two Legs version of Small Town were on radio a lot, but I wasn't a really "mega" fan until about late 2000/early 2001. I joined 10C in Jan 2003 when it was $15. I took a bonus year at the $15 price when they announced the mid-year price increase to $20.
    never really needed the membership, always able to get good tickets, but now I want the rail in Adam when they come back, and therefor I need to be a member :p I.ve always been a fan but since 2 years ago I got even more into it because of all the FB groups and other fans I met, I got infected with their craziness lol, never had the urge to follow them around, just shows in my country (Holland) and Belgium was enough. Now Im hoping to do an entire Europe tour (if they come again)
    edited March 2016
    Stop me if this sounds familiar...

A guy went missing from a Columbus popular night scene this past Saturday. He was with friends.
    “We were blowing up his phone,” Reigle said. “His other friend that was with us was blowing up his phone, texting him. [I] didn’t hear anything and so the next morning, when I still hadn’t heard anything, is when I really started to worry.”
    http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/08/short-north-businesses-jump-in-on-effort-to-find-missing-man/

If you draw comparisons...you're far from the only one.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm sorry to see this - with the thread bumped, I hoped (yeah, I know) that resolution was on the horizon.

Not even close.

Sure I'm one of many sending good thoughts.
  • raystreyraystrey Posts: 171
    Just saw his case on main Wikipedia page today under the "did you know section"
    raystrey said:

Just saw his case on main Wikipedia page today under the "did you know section"

That is crazy/awesome... Here's the entry:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Brian_Shaffer

10 years tonight. :frowning:
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    Here is an article from the Columbus Dispatch about today being the 10 year mark.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/04/01/unsolved-mystery-10-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
    Thanks for beating me to the punch with the article. It's very heartwarming to know that people still care.
  • toridaniothtoridanioth West Seattle Posts: 130
    A good listen for this case is "True Crime Garage" podcast. I hope "Lost In Ohio" agrees. I'd known about the case before but these podcasters do a great job of helping you understand the events of the evening. It is so puzzling and heartbreaking and I hope someday soon answers are found. 10 years is long time to wonder what happened to a friend, boyfriend, brother.
    Lolla Alpine Valley 8/29/92 ,Key Arena 11/5/00 , Key Arena 11/6/00, NOLAJazzfest 5/1/10, Wrigley 7/19(20)/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 11/24/13, Bridge School 2014, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16, Seattle 2018 both nights!
    EV Long Beach 7/6/11 , LA Wiltern (miracled in) 7/8/11
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I, too, always hope there is some sort of news when I see new posts about this. It is heart breaking that it has been 10 years with absolutely no answers. The police statement about 'three theories but we can't discuss them' must be infuriating. Prayers to all who love and know him on this tragic anniversary. It is baffling and frustrating. I hope....
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    10 years and no answers....that is heart-breaking :(
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam

A good listen for this case is "True Crime Garage" podcast. I hope "Lost In Ohio" agrees. I'd known about the case before but these podcasters do a great job of helping you understand the events of the evening. It is so puzzling and heartbreaking and I hope someday soon answers are found. 10 years is long time to wonder what happened to a friend, boyfriend, brother.

I just saw the post. I found the podcast page, but can't seem to find a link to the actual audio...then again, it's a bit late here...
  • A good listen for this case is "True Crime Garage" podcast. I hope "Lost In Ohio" agrees. I'd known about the case before but these podcasters do a great job of helping you understand the events of the evening. It is so puzzling and heartbreaking and I hope someday soon answers are found. 10 years is long time to wonder what happened to a friend, boyfriend, brother.

I just saw the post. I found the podcast page, but can't seem to find a link to the actual audio...then again, it's a bit late here...
    I just listened to it today. It is on YouTube in two parts.

Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Been years since checking in on this thread, was hoping for better news now, but will say another prayer for some answers.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    edited August 2016
    I kept the positive juju alive at Fenway 2. This was after the pre-party and on the way to the car to drop stuff off.
    https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13901310_10101250309881277_5705701567355760135_n.jpg?oh=b94b7cd8b70c45393de68f6e4a82c467&oe=585251D5

Oh, and some totally awesome kid who was more than happy to pause for a photo. ;)
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    still can
    Kevinman said:

Been years since checking in on this thread, was hoping for better news now, but will say another prayer for some answers.

+1

been too long

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Anything new?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Here's a story about it that just shows what a strange, sad mystery this is.

https://melmagazine.com/a-guy-walks-into-a-bar-53c784e7369b#.o0mrd81lt
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    OnWis97 said:

Here's a story about it that just shows what a strange, sad mystery this is.

https://melmagazine.com/a-guy-walks-into-a-bar-53c784e7369b#.o0mrd81lt

just saw that story online and came here to see if anyone posted it. not much new in the story but brings it home again you know? crazy that they've accounted for every person in that bar entering and leaving via the video tapes except Brian. i could't even imagine being his brother and what he has gone through.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”