Charlie Hebdo Paris shooting: 12 dead after gunmen storm newspaper's HQ

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I know we are theoretically supposed to stay on topic but when these threads take interesting twists and turns I'd hate to see them prematurely terminated. Possibly just leave it up to the thread's OP to decide if they want to bring it back to the original topic or not.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat wrote: »
    Godfather. wrote: »
    oki-doki fellas I get it....I would want to offend anyone.

Godfather.

No dude. It was right to be posted here. Since I now have come to see it as free speech as is the thread subtopic I believe.

So are you now saying you wont stand for free speech?

I believe in free speach for everyone in fact it's one of the great things I love about America...well free speach as much we have anyway some places in the world are very restricted in that area but I just didn't want to keep rocking the boat or train as it were, free speach is limited on the train as well with the MODS rules of engaugement and the sencetivity of some members on different topics I feel that in some cases we are bound to censorship under the disguise of politeness, we all enjoy the opertunity to share our opinions here on the train and get feed back from one another but posting our real deep down feelings on different topics is a no no if they offend others, there are some topics that offend me but the right of free speach and the right to believe as one will is also important to me.
    and by the way thank you for your post.

Godfather.

rr165892 wrote: »
    rgambs wrote: »
    I may be the minority, but I love all the crazy diversions these threads take...good fun!

Agree.

double agree !

Godfather.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Godfather.

No dude. It was right to be posted here. Since I now have come to see it as free speech as is the thread subtopic I believe.

I believe in free speach for everyone in fact it's one of the great things I love about America...well free speach as much we have anyway some places in the world are very restricted in that area but I just didn't want to keep rocking the boat or train as it were, free speach is limited on the train as well with the MODS rules of engaugement and the sencetivity of some members on different topics I feel that in some cases we are bound to censorship under the disguise of politeness, we all enjoy the opertunity to share our opinions here on the train and get feed back from one another but posting our real deep down feelings on different topics is a no no if they offend others, there are some topics that offend me but the right of free speach and the right to believe as one will is also important to me.

Godfather.

free speech is not limited on the train. disrespectful speech is.

you can state your opinion on any matter as long as it is done in a respectful way. you don't always do that, with your "let's wipe them all out" comments regarding Muslims. being offended by stuff like that is not being defensive. saying stuff like that is being outright bigoted.

another example: there is no issue with saying homosexuality is against your personal beliefs. saying "what they do makes me want to vomit", as you have also done, is not in keeping with respectful debate.

and on the flip side, someone saying "I don't believe in god" is respectful. saying "anyone who believes in god is a fucktard" is not.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Sometimes certain points become disrespectful from the actual point so feel being disrespectful is needed. Personal attacks on individuals is not.

GodFather: Great post above and appreciate your ability to roll with the punches maintaining your cool against a tidal wave of opposition. You are The Godfather.

Peace.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    Just to be clear Gf, I was more referring to the content of that link. As for what you post personally , I likely disagree with much of it and will seek to change your perspective where I can but would prefer you not feel it must be hidden.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Speaking of freedom of speech, I was ripped a new asshole by the mods for jokingly saying "fuck the dead" in the dead thread. Someone reported my "joke" and I got ripped for it. So I wonder if these same people who are always shouting free speech or #iamcharlie are also ratting people out for speaking their minds. And gf I know it was NOT you.
    dead thread?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

callen wrote: »
    Sometimes certain points become disrespectful from the actual point so feel being disrespectful is needed. Personal attacks on individuals is not.

GodFather: Great post above and appreciate your ability to roll with the punches maintaining your cool against a tidal wave of opposition. You are The Godfather.

Peace.

couldn't disagree more. any opinion, no matter what it is, can be made respectfully.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• paulonious wrote: »

Peace.

couldn't disagree more. any opinion, no matter what it is, can be made respectfully.

But if his opinion actually is 'wipe them all out'... exactly how does he make it respectfully?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Hugh, Yes but some opinions even made respectfully are viewed as being disrespectful and your example of religion is great example.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    Don't get tattling to mods.
    paulonious wrote: »

Peace.

But if his opinion actually is 'wipe them all out'... exactly how does he make it respectfully?

that is a tough one to frame, for sure. I was really more referring to opinions that don't involve bigotry and racism. it's pretty difficult to sugar-coat the wish to eradicate an entire race/culture.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ya it was in the grateful dead thread.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    badbrains wrote: »
    Ya it was in the grateful dead thread.

Well there you go.Everyone in that thread needs a shower anyway.lol
    God damn hippies hahaha
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    What's a fucktard?
    Hugh, Yes but some opinions even made respectfully are viewed as being disrespectful and your example of religion is great example.

which one are you referring to?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    BS44325 wrote: »
    What's a fucktard?

It's Norwegian for a whales testicles.
  • rr165892 wrote: »
    What's a fucktard?

Hmmm. That's interesting. I looked it up in the dictionary and there was a picture of Billy Corgan to define the term.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    rr165892 wrote: »
    What's a fucktard?

Hmmm. That's interesting. I looked it up in the dictionary and there was a picture of Billy Corgan to define the term.

LOL

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I was gonna post a pic of Scott but I didn't want to start another trend with people calling him that "word". I'm just saying.

Godfather.

Godfather.

you can state your opinion on any matter as long as it is done in a respectful way. you don't always do that, with your "let's wipe them all out" comments regarding Muslims. being offended by stuff like that is not being defensive. saying stuff like that is being outright bigoted.

another example: there is no issue with saying homosexuality is against your personal beliefs. saying "what they do makes me want to vomit", as you have also done, is not in keeping with respectful debate.

and on the flip side, someone saying "I don't believe in god" is respectful. saying "anyone who believes in god is a fucktard" is not.

so FREE speach is limited then.....and what a memory you have ! you must remember other posts by members of the train that included members of my family then....right ? that must fall under the "is not" catigory of your post.

Godfather.

welllllll.......it seems I am the only one here who has the balls to say what is on his mind..ohhh myyyy
    people think things but are afraid to say them because they don't want to upset the the norm or they let fear point thier way and if that's what people want then cool but I don't.

Godfather.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    Assuming a lot there gf. Some are more diplomatic than others. Which I believe is essential to dialog.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    GF, me saying I feel sorry for your kids because of the hate you're raising them in is COMPLETELY fucken different then you saying "we should nuke them ALL". Huge fucken difference.

Godfather.

Godfather.

so FREE speach is limited then.....and what a memory you have ! you must remember other posts by members of the train that included members of my family then....right ? that must fall under the "is not" catigory of your post.

Godfather.

I remember incredibly racist and bigoted and Hitler-like posts, yes. I have zero idea what you are talking about with your family comment.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

welllllll.......it seems I am the only one here who has the balls to say what is on his mind..ohhh myyyy
    people think things but are afraid to say them because they don't want to upset the the norm or they let fear point thier way and if that's what people want then cool but I don't.

Godfather.

I always find it funny that someone assumes just because they say something offensive, this then means they are the only ones with "balls to say what is on his mind". Bullshit. Most, if not all, people here say what is on their minds. They just don't share the same bigoted opinions as you.

that's not balls, GF. that's something else entirely.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

Godfather.

I always find it funny that someone assumes just because they say something offensive, this then means they are the only ones with "balls to say what is on his mind". Bullshit. Most, if not all, people here say what is on their minds. They just don't share the same bigoted opinions as you.

that's not balls, GF. that's something else entirely.

Us Jews would call it Chutzpah (audacity, or nerve).

I could wear a swastika draped around my shoulders, or a KKK robe to work. Because I don't, do I lack balls and the patriotism to stand up for "freedom of expression"? No. I just choose to show some basic respect where it's due.

Godfather, how many times have people here proposed that you ought to stop making outrageous and vile blanket statements about groups of people, going as far as condoning murder because some wolves amongst the sheep are inherently evil. Your response is always the same - that you are exerting your right to speak freely in your opinions of what to do next, and how the world got to this place. Frankly, I think you've lost your perspective and humanity. On this particular topic, I believe you've forgotten that ignoring the death of innocents to destroy that which you consider evil is exactly what ISIL (and the other groups you claim to loathe) do regularly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Support all views and don't think attacking one person moves dialog forward. Debate the thought not attack individual. And honest thoughts no matter the popularity should be sought.