Top Female Performer You've Seen Live

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited August 2019
    I saw Lisa Hannigan. She's very good.

I saw Wilson Philips. Don't hate on me. They sang the National Anthem at a NY Rangers game. 
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Shirley Manson
    Chrissie Hynde
    Exene Cervenka
    Liz Phair
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I haven't seen many personally but,
    Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde, Pretty & Twisted) This girl rocked it back in the day
    Sinead O'Conner (back in the 90's)
    Sarah McLachlan (SARS concert in Toronto)
    Lorde (daughter is a big fan, she's pretty good)

Women I wish I seen:
    Cyndi Lauper
    Stevie Knicks
    Tori Amos
    Bjork

"Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    eddiec wrote: »
    I saw Lisa Hannigan. She's very good.

haven't been able to see her (yet), but i love her voice.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited July 2019
    Dar Williams
    Diamanda Galas
    Bjork
    Emmylou Harris
    PJ Harvey
    Lydia Loveless
    Heart
    Sinead O'Connor (headliner in 1990 and as part of Guinness Fleadh in 1997)
    Sleater-Kinney (opening for PJ in 2003 and Wilco in 2004)
    Sarah McLachlan (Bridge School Benefit)
    Kelly Clarkson
    Lucinda Williams
    Victoria WIlliams (opening for The Jayhawks)
    Liz Phair
    The Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde)
    Kelly Willis
    Iris Dement
    Nanci Griffith
    Patti Smith (opening for Neil Young & Crazy Horse)
    Beth Orton (Newport Folk Festival)
    Loretta Lynn (opening for The White Stripes)
    Pistol Annies
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • I don't recall seeing Fiona Apple on here, has anyone seen her?

Always wanted to see her perform live...
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I don't recall seeing Fiona Apple on here, has anyone seen her?

I saw her perform soon after her first album was released. She was good, but shy. My guess is that she now has become more comfortable being on stage.
    ELITIST FUK
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    SD48277 wrote: »

I saw her perform soon after her first album was released. She was good, but shy. My guess is that she now has become more comfortable being on stage.

Ditto on Fiona Apple, saw her soon after that Tidal album and she was shy. Pretty sure I've seen some sad video in more recent years, looks like she's had a hard time. No idea how her voice sounded overall but she looked like she'd been through hell. I wish her the best.... For the record though even at her best I don't know that I would have included her in best female performers.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    In trying to put a list together, I've come to the realization that I have not seen enough female performers.

Ani Difranco- Seen her twice. Really fantastic.
    KD Lang- opened up for Sting. Was pleasantly surprised.
    Veruca Salt- cool. 90's flashback.
    Indigo Girls- good harmonies....my girlfriend at that time seemed to enjoy herself.
    Diana Krall- at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. Smooth and sultry.

I think that's all I've seen....hmmm....

I guess the tops would go to Difranco.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    I've been to easily 300 concerts and am ashamed to say, I have not been to enough shows involving female live performances...the very 1st concert I ever saw was Heart back in '86 and being a teenager, let's just say my motives for going may have been for other reasons ;)....but to this day, Ann Wilson live remains one of the greatest singers I have ever had the pleasure of hearing in a concert setting.....I would also add Sarah McLachlin and yes, Courtney Love w/ Hole (via 20 yrs ago, with opening act Veruca Salt) to that list.....non-music related, I have seen Lisa Lampanelli 3x and she killed it everytime :)
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    JH6056 wrote: »
    SD48277 wrote: »

Ditto on Fiona Apple, saw her soon after that Tidal album and she was shy. Pretty sure I've seen some sad video in more recent years, looks like she's had a hard time. No idea how her voice sounded overall but she looked like she'd been through hell. I wish her the best.... For the record though even at her best I don't know that I would have included her in best female performers.

Saw her in 2013 (I think). Her voice wasn't memorable, she was very strange and she looked awful. Only show I've ever fallen asleep at too Not interested in seeing her again @-)
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    I was gonna say , what no love for Tori Amos?

I have seen her at least 4 times between 2005 and 2010. she was simply spectacular when it was just her and the piano/harpsichord. Less impressive when she had a whole band.

She made the skin on my arms stand on end, and I was only there because my wife is a fan.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    edited January 2015
    Deeve wrote: »
    I was gonna say , what no love for Tori Amos?

I have seen her at least 4 times between 2005 and 2010. she was simply spectacular when it was just her and the piano/harpsichord. Less impressive when she had a whole band.

She made the skin on my arms stand on end, and I was only there because my wife is a fan.

Saw Tori for the first time in May last year. Just her, the piano and organ. Incredible how she could fill a huge hall with that sound, effortlessly shifting between ethereal and intense. 'Hairs standing on end' stuff, for sure. Would love to see her again.
    Post edited by EdLaw on
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    KT Tunstall - one of my all time favourite gigs was KT in a small club in Cardiff, just before her first album came out. Her voice is amazing and she has a really laid back, fun stage presence. She hung out at the bar afterwards for drinks with the crowd, and I've seen her a few more times since then

Cat Power - as people have already said, Chan can be a bit hit and miss. Luckily I've only seen good shows of hers. Her voice is breathtaking live.

PJ Harvey - I've only managed to see PJH live once, but it was on the Stories From The City tour. It's still my favourite album of hers and the show was really good.

Juliette Lewis - I was one of the people that Juliette stood on at Lollapalooza in 07! She jumped into the crowd and stood on people's shoulders mid-song. I've got a cool photo somewhere looking up at her doing it

Pink - my wife is a big fan and she got free VIP tickets through work. She puts on a really good show - I was amazed that she could can still hold a song while flying through the air on a zipline

Patti Smith - I admit I don't know much of her work but I thought she was great at Lollapalooza in 07.

I've also seen Kylie Minogue live. I was suffering from pretty intense sunstroke at the time so I felt like death, and the constant costume changes got a bit tedious, but the spectacle of the show was really entertaining.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    KT Tunstall - nice to see her added! But I saw her about a year ago and I was not feeling her newer music. Still love that album with Suddenly I See on it though...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited January 2015
    g under p wrote: »
    I'm watching Tina Turner in concert in Holland and got me thinking how many here have seen a female act in concert. I've seen her live 5 times the first MD/VA on The Private Dancer Tour when Mister Mister opened for her was the best. The last was in VA when Cyndi Lauper opened while being 5 months pregnant. TT can put on a hell of a show in those heels for two hours.

So what's your list of female performers as single acts or lead in a band?
    I haven't seen many female performers over the years....very few, actually. But when I saw this thread, Tina Turner was the first woman that came to mind. Saw her in 2000 with Joe Cocker opening....got free tickets and kinda expected it to suck. But what a show! Cocker completely blew me away, for starters. Then TT's stage show, her energy....and those dancers...dayum. She kept up with the dancers the entire show - women half her age, while wearing 4" heels. She sounded great and had more songs that I enjoyed than I remembered before I went....It was a blast!

Most of the other females I've seen perform were in support roles, or part of a mixed band....Smashing Pumpkins, Coal Chamber....and this very talented lady was playing with Alice Cooper when I saw him open for the Crue a couple months ago (Nita Strauss) :
    Nita_6834.jpeg?cb=1406194679
    ^:)^
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Thom Yorke
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Bonnie Raitt
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I never thought about it before, but I just realized, to my surprise, that I've never seen a female performer in concert by choice. I guess I must have seen a few at festivals, but can't remember.

I'm in this category too. Shocking to think I cannot name one that I thought was awesome after all of these years of seeing shows.
    If I think back through the early Lolla shows.....Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie & the Banshees...but damn I thought they were atrocious. Babes in Toyland? Not so good. There are a lot of women I would like to see live but never did.

Just asked my wife and she called me a "Bro'-hole"....she popped off Tina Turner, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Evanescence, Christina Aguilera, and Madonna off the top of her head. (She worked at a venue for a number of years, she saw everyone through there.)
    Guess I am guilty as charged!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Interested in going to see Lana Del Rey. I've gotten into her music recently, and would really like to see her live. Anyone seen her live? How is the show?
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Jason P wrote: »
    Thom Yorke

=))
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    g under p wrote: »
    I'm watching Tina Turner in concert in Holland and got me thinking how many here have seen a female act in concert. I've seen her live 5 times the first MD/VA on The Private Dancer Tour when Mister Mister opened for her was the best. The last was in VA when Cyndi Lauper opened while being 5 months pregnant. TT can put on a hell of a show in those heels for two hours.

So what's your list of female performers as single acts or lead in a band?
    I haven't seen many female performers over the years....very few, actually. But when I saw this thread, Tina Turner was the first woman that came to mind. Saw her in 2000 with Joe Cocker opening....got free tickets and kinda expected it to suck. But what a show! Cocker completely blew me away, for starters. Then TT's stage show, her energy....and those dancers...dayum. She kept up with the dancers the entire show - women half her age, while wearing 4" heels. She sounded great and had more songs that I enjoyed than I remembered before I went....It was a blast!

Most of the other females I've seen perform were in support roles, or part of a mixed band....Smashing Pumpkins, Coal Chamber....and this very talented lady was playing with Alice Cooper when I saw him open for the Crue a couple months ago (Nita Strauss) :
    Nita_6834.jpeg?cb=1406194679
    ^:)^

seandng.jpg
    Sean Yseult

Speaking of female players in a band I had the pleasure years ago 1994 in seeing and hearing this bass player play for White Zombie. Very artistic woman with quite a flair with style to that WZ sound. Here's a bit more on her....
    "How To Make A Monster...An Interview with Sean Yseult

Shauna Reynolds was born June 6, 1966 in North Carolina & it's an odd coincidence that she has 666 in her birthday because Shauna is best known as White Zombie bassist Sean Yseult!

Sean & Rob Zombie created a band that would define a sound, a genre & the music/art the 2 created forged a bond between them that not only made them artistic partners but also lovers who shared a long term relationship which sadly collapsed over the course of the monster that was White Zombie.

Sean's father is Michael S. Reynolds who is a noted biographer of Ernest Hemingway & her childhood was an interesting exploration of culture, art & experiencing life as a freak. Sean recently put out a book entitled, "I'm In The Band" which is a joke title simply because many people didn't believe she was a member of a heavy metal band based strictly on the fact that in the 90's there were few if any females in metal bands.

Sean gained the respect of the metal world due to her musical prowess & her onstage energy and I recently had the opportunity to interview Sean about all things White Zombie both past & present; Sean was very open, very pleasant & very candid.

http://rocknrollexperience.com/news/53/25/Sean-Yseult-Interview-2011/

2115776643a2116696854b164300028l.jpg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Dead Sara……I know, they're a band.

I've never seen this band, but I would love to!!! This girl can belt it out! Fantastic voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5uaoc6Iss
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Kate Rusby -great folk singer from Barnsley
    Mariza - amazing fado singer from Portugal
    Rokia Traore - singer from Mali, Africa
    Beth Orton - great British songwriter
    Eliza carthy - part of the watersons singing tradition in the uk .
    Natasha Atlas - great uk artist, performs regularly with transglobal underground....
    cydonia wrote: »
    Kate Rusby -great folk singer from Barnsley
    Mariza - amazing fado singer from Portugal
    Rokia Traore - singer from Mali, Africa
    Beth Orton - great British songwriter
    Eliza carthy - part of the watersons singing tradition in the uk .
    Natasha Atlas - great uk artist, performs regularly with transglobal underground....

Whoa, you've seen Natacha Atlas live?? I have only one cd by her, but there are 3 or 4 songs that make me dance uncontrollably every single time. She'd be great to see live!

Good call on Beth Orton too. I've seen her twice. She's not on my "best ever" list, but she is really good and talented.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Do yourselves a favor and add every Meg Myers track to your library

http://www.axs.com/meg-myers-performer-profile-22252
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    forgot one: Niva Chow. Co-lead vocalist of Dearly Beloved. Canadian band.

the guy in the picture is Rob Higgins....I didn't know until recently his uncle is Geddy Lee.

dearly-beloved.jpg
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    Catpower, Bonnaroo 2008.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Fiona Apple
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Annie Clark