Options

Moline show - add your memories

EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
edited December 2014 in The Porch
I have always been a wuss about GA since I'm claustrophobic and standing for 5+ hours (2 hours before the show and usually around a 3 hour show) seemed quite intense. A friend of mine had an extra Moline GA ticket so I just decided to go for it and go for broke. I'm already forgetting a lot of the cool details I wanted to remember (my thoughts definitely do "arrive like butterfiles" so I'm going to bullet them). More for myself to remember years from now but I hope some of can relate.

- The front of the line GA'ers are pros. They all had about 5 feet of room to themselves with sleeping bag, chairs, several layer of clothes and the occasional laptop.

- Being in line for 5 hours in 50 degrees with 30+ MPH winds is not easy. The pros know what they are doing. Wear layers and you can always take some off. I brought a jacket at the last minute

- The people around us in the GA Line were great. No issues with leaving the line for 10-20 mins to get food or use the washroom. Many brought back food for the group. A mother and daughter even brought doughnut holes for the entire GA line (even putting toothpicks in all of them).

- Guy in front of us had his ticket buddy drop out at the last minute (this was someone from the board). Probably a good idea to have a 2nd backup who is a fan since with 30 mins to go he was desperate and ended up selling it to someone last second to someone who ended up being a scalper (he sold for face value). How do we get around that? I kidded he should have asked him 3 PJ questions that all true fans would know.

- With little warning they made everyone get in a real line for security. I don't think many people had a chance to bring their stuff back to their cars (lots of chairs were left).

-- Security was a little intense. Everyone got patted down (though the person standing in front of me some how was able to bring in a bottle of Jim Beam). One guy was mouthing off to the security because he kept finding new things in his pockets. He was told one more word and he would be forced to go to the back of the line. That would suck after waiting outside for 8 hours. Keep your cool everyone.

-- GA Line started letting people in only a few mins before Reserved seating and the people in the reserved line WERE ALLOWED TO GO INTO GA (If they had a GA ticket). A big FU for us who waited in the GA line forever.

- I ended up 6 people behind Eddie. The plan was to get as close to the stage between Eddie and Mike as possible but the line was pretty even (St Louis was like a Bell curve around Eddie)

-After 2 hours straight staring at the back of people's heads the little things start getting to you. The guy in front of me kept backing up into me (I called him William Zabka since he was blond and wore his jacket collar up like it was the 80's; I think it was a member's only jacket ;) )

- Beer was tempting but I didn't want it to go through me to quickly. 4 people left there spots in front of me before/during the concert and only 2 made it back to their original spots. A woman behind me decided it would be a good idea to buy nachos. Not sure what happened to the cheese remnant.

-- People were delirious when it got close to 8:00 some were sure it would start 8 on the dot, some said no concert ever started after 8:15 but I knew St Louis (due to big inning at the Cardinals game) started closer to 8:25. So the roadies tape the setlist.

-- I told my buddy mins before the concert "you know they are going to play Small Town but what if they start with it just to shake things up". Biggest understatement ever.

-- Lights go out, crowd goes nuts, fear of getting crushed by the crowd was unfounded, Small Town is the opener. The people next to me give me a smile for guessing correctly.

-- Sometimes is the next song. There was a feeling in the air that something will be different today. I was almost wondering if they were going to play a lot of the slower/quiet songs just like Spodek.

- Eddie throws about 10 picks in the crowd. One bounces off my shoulder and the guy behind me (cell phone in hand to see it on the floor) grabbed it as quickly as a vulture. Got to be quick to get a pick.

-- Hail Hail is next. Wow 2 No Code songs. Quiet song theory is broken. Sometimes and Hail Hail go great together so maybe that's why they played these two back to back. I have been listening to so many live boots that I totally forgot the order of songs from the album.

-- Who You are. What the fuck is going on here. They don't play 3 songs from the same album in a row! They're screwing with us. They can't possibly be playing the whole album. The guy next to me said he thinks either Smile or in My Trees.

-- Band goes onto In My Trees and the GA crowd goes ape shit. This blind date is going really well. For the first time in my life I knew what songs were coming next at a Pearl Jam concert. Oh yeah Stone is going to sing too. Holy shit. How long has the band been planning this?

-- Eddie proudly announces "now on to Side 2" if there was ever any doubt they would do the whole thing

-- Things get a little unhinged. Maybe knowing the next songs being played at a PJ concert is causing a disturbance in the cosmos. Eddie's microphone gives off deafening feedback (small crack in our perfect blind date; makes a dennis rodman joke like Dennis is that you?), I believe Mike screws up the beginning of Stone's song Mankind and Eddie totally draws blank at the beginning of Around the Bend. I think a fan or teleprompter helps him out. Small blemishes on what everyone knew would be the most talked about concert of the tour.

-- After Around the Bend. Eddie announces we have only done that once before back in mmm 1991 (Someone after the show said there was a show they played all Avocado)

-- After No Code was done the band kind of looked at each other with a "now what" look. Seems like a lot of audibles will be done next. Eddie needed to walk over to each band member to confirm the next song (via Jack White who does that for all songs for his shows).

I'm rambling now. Need to get ready for Milwaukee but might finish when I get back.
6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
Post edited by Eddieshometown on

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Thanks for sharing, I feel like I was there with you!!

Can't wait for the boot!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    hearts and thoughts they fade away. Add any cool memories of the Moline show before you forget them
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The night of Moline I got a text about the obvious. Followed by another text informing me that Stone was in fact singing - still so jealous!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    i kept saying to my girl "man they're playing a lot of no code. almost like they're playing all of it". was my 39th show, 35 miles from our home, and had the best seats we've ever had. had 4 of my best friends also attending their 1st and 2nd shows. i screamed so hard when they started playing habit that my ribcage cramped up and i couldn't breathe. then show #40 was yield...
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    What an unbelievable event we witnessed in Moline...
    still so happy that I was fortunate enough to attend this epic show!!
    My very first PJ show was at Seattle's Key Arena back in '96...
    that was the No Code tour opening show!!
    Moline was my 20th show & to hear the band play No Code...
    my FAVORITE album...in order...in it's entirety was a dream come true!!
    Throw in Gone, Garden & In Hiding and you've got a truly amazing setlist.
    Moline was an incredible way to wrap up my 2014 Pearl Jam tour...
    and I got share the evening with a GREAT FRIEND!
    Definitely an evening that I will NEVER forget!!
    :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    This was my first PJ show and I got to go with my dad who introduced me to pearl jam when I was little. What an incredible experience to say the least. PJ fans are the most die hard people I've ever experienced in my life and I am glad I can be apart of it. When they started small town and everyone around me were singing there hearts out I knew that the show was gonna be special. The way you can feel the music in your chest is just something I will always love.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ This makes my heart smile.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp wrote: »
    Just wait until you get to take K to her first PJ show!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave wrote: »
    deadendp wrote: »
    Just wait until you get to take K to her first PJ show!!!
    A lil crowd phobic for now, but soon enough. She'll love it. She's a DTE kind of kiddo, so she'd be pulling for that. She is also quite the Lost Dogs fan.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    The show was a hometown show for me, used to live across the Mississippi River from Moline. Never expected this show to happen. Only show I'll do GA for, and it was a good one.

I got to Moline at 10 AM with my buddies and found a spot in GA line. People were cool to not take our spot while we got lunch, merch line (another pile of stinking BS), and/or taking a bathroom break. It was great meeting a bunch of new friends, too many to list and being with my buddies as is.

Getting into the arena was a hassle, but I didn't feel that security was a major issue, security was mild. When the first notes of Small Town played, I had a feeling that the show would be great. No Code was amazing to hear being played in its entirety, especially after hearing Who You Are being played and realizing the entire album would be played. Great to hear Garden, Gone, and Fuckin' Up played.

Overall, a great night, nothing to complain about.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    Drove into Moline from just seeing the Detroit show the night before with 3 friends. WE WERE BUZZING HARD after the setlist and show they put on in at Joe Louis Arena.

We kept talking about "how could they top Detroit? How will they top it?" --I was convincing myself that they would top the Detroit show somehow... Someway...

I sat by myself in section 208 which was directly straight across from the stage on the second level. I loved the seat because it felt like the band was playing RIGHT AT YOU. The lights go out...

1) Elderly Woman... I was kinda bummed actually cause I wanted Long Road but it was a very fitting opener for Moline and actually started it off just right. 2) Sometimes... A fun sing along for me, had seen this live a few times now so I wasn't blown away.. 3) Hail, Hail- I was pumped when they started playing this song because I hadn't heard it live yet. That song really got my heart rate up! 4) Who you are- DRUMS were awesome, very fun tune to keep the mood going. I haven't even thought of the NO CODE similarities yet, for some reason I was thinking Who you are was off of Binural... 5) In My Tree.... HOLY SHIT! This was the ONE song I had been dying to hear the 10 shows I've ever been too. STILL haven't realized its No Code yet cause I'm so in the moment with jamming out and singing along to in my tree. 5) Smile- this is when Jeff and Stone switched guitar for bass. Towards the end of the song I thought....damn that was a lot of No Code songs in a row.. I look to the guy across from me who looked like a true PJ fan since he had a poster tube..I said "Man they are playing a lot of No Code".. He replied " Yeah dude they are playing the whole album front to back!" I pulled my hair back with both of my hands and was officially STUNNED! Realizing that they still had a bunch of my favorite songs to play, Red Mosquito, Present tense, Mankind (stone singing ) the fact that the matter was.. This doesn't happen.

Every song off No Code those first 15 songs felt like a PUNCH energy to my face, and I kept thinking over and over "Holy shit I am witnessing an epic concert right now, holy shit!"

After No code was over they went right into Given to Fly which AMPED the place up again and they continued to roll. I was so shocked and excited with how many songs they played the first set. Just soaking it all in.

Songs my friends and I said we wanted to hear before the show: In Hiding, brain of J, I really wanted Garden. One of the friends I was with was DYING to hear 'Gone', so when they busted that song out I was so PUMPED!

I sang and danced my ass off all night. I was the guy who spilled beer on the guy in front of me, and all over myself during one point. Yes, I was "that guy" but I didn't give a fuck. I had a blast...

I could write for days with more detail ... You just had to be there.............
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • Options
    ANTIocmedANTIocmed Dopetown, IL Posts: 32
    Finally got the boot and the quality is amazing. It sounds just as good as I remembered.
    I noticed that Habit seemed really good show night and listening to it back on the boot I think it has to be the meanest, gnarliest version I've ever heard. It's sooo badass.
    Say hello to the rug's topography..It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it
  • Options
    RF283878RF283878 Posts: 208
    I got the GA spot towards the start of the show. Had a few brews enjoyed back there, because once Eddie's walked through the crowd I was able to touch his left shoulder, between the monster security guards..lol
  • Options
    goodforyou19goodforyou19 Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin Posts: 74
    I was way up - third row from the back in the upper deck - Section 209. At the end of Given to Fly Ed asks for the lights up in the back to make sure everyone's still awake. We went crazy up there (as did the whole crowd shortly after) and in fact (of course I can't verify this since we were so far away it was hard to see), watching it on YouTube I think Ed may have been referring to me when he said "look at that fucker way in the back!" and starts doing a little dance with his arms. I had a lot to drink that night but I'm pretty sure a) he's looking right in our section and b) I was the only one doing that same motion with my arms. It's stupid, I know. But yes, I may in fact have been that 'fucker way in the back'! My PJ claim to fame. :smile: