Options

Which Physical Media Gives You the Most Nostalgia?

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I have a big awia stereo with a 3 CD changer and a dual tape deck that I refuse to throw away.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    Compact Discs
    Suziemay said:

Very surprised that CDs are ahead right now. I was so sure it would be tight race between cassettes and vinyl.

I'm not too surprised. All of us are around that age group that we probably started buying music around the time cd's rocketed to popularity.

If you think about it people abandoned both Cassettes and VHS tapes when the optical disc formats came out. Cassettes have no real advantage. The sound quality gets worse the more time they are played. They get chewed up. You can't easily find and play song (even with records you can count the grooves and drop the needle in the right spot. I like Vinyl because my parents had some vinyl around the house.. so when I was older I thought it was cool and started buying my own, but it's CD's they were huge and prevalent in the early years I had any income to buy music. I would guess that I have over 400 cds. My vinyl Collection is probably under 200. I have one cassette which is the one in the 10c deluxe ten boxset.
  • Options
    coerycoery Oklahoma Posts: 56
    edited November 2014
    Cassette Tapes
    My first music was vinyl played on my little lady bug record player. I distinctly remember Bob Seger and Steve Martin's King Tut.

I also have fond memories of 8-track in our station wagon. My mom and I would sift through the bin at the store to find good ones. The Grease soundtrack was my favorite to sing along with in the car.

But as far was what I have the most nostalgia for, I would say cassettes. I joined the Columbia Record and Tape Club when I was about 9 and used any extra money I had to buy more tapes. Like was said above, making mix tapes was a labor of love. Hanging out by the stereo in order to record a song you loved off the radio. I remember sticking by the radio with my boyfriend (now husband) back in the day and recording some sort of live Pearl Jam broadcast. I'm not even sure what it was anymore. I still hold onto cassettes that are the most important to me and am slowly but surely transferring them to digital to hopefully keep them as long as possible.

Great question, by the way. I'm enjoying reading these responses!
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Cassette Tapes
    I still own most of my cassettes, has to be close to 300. My wife has wanted me to throw them away for years now but I just can't bring myself to do it. I still like to throw on my Maiden "Live after Death" tape once in a while and take a walk down memory lane.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Compact Discs
    coery said:

My first music was vinyl played on my little lady bug record player. I distinctly remember Bob Seger and Steve Martin's King Tut.

I also have fond memories of 8-track in our station wagon. My mom and I would sift through the bin at the store to find good ones. The Grease soundtrack was my favorite to sing along with in the car.

But as far was what I have the most nostalgia for, I would say cassettes. I joined the Columbia Record and Tape Club when I was about 9 and used any extra money I had to buy more tapes. Like was said above, making mix tapes was a labor of love. Hanging out by the stereo in order to record a song you loved off the radio. I remember sticking by the radio with my boyfriend (now husband) back in the day and recording some sort of live Pearl Jam broadcast. I'm not even sure what it was anymore. I still hold onto cassettes that are the most important to me and am slowly but surely transferring them to digital to hopefully keep them as long as possible.

Holy shit, I completely forgot about Columbia! I remember poring over the options in their brochure, filling out the forms, MAILING them. How times have changed.

And I agree with your last point! All of this nostalgia has made me...nostalgic :)

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Vinyl
    I can remember saving for weeks to buy a record!! And when I would get the one I was saving for, then I'd go to the record store, and daydream about the next one.. Save, but, daydream, save. Until I decided that I wanted a horse more than a record.. Saved for three years for that!! I remember my Dad had decided Cassettes were the in thing and he sold the record player while I was at my Mother's for the weekend.. I got home and she's given me Pink Floyd'sDark Side of the Moon, and The Door's Morison Hotel for some reason, and I got there, and there was no turn table! I was crushed! I had to go to my best friend's house to play all my recorded after that!
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Cassette Tapes
    I agree, it's so fun reading all the answers in here. Good thread.

I do have fond memories of playing vinyl too, and me too saved up to get the record I wanted. I still remember the first album I got with my own money, it was a Swedish band and I never listen to it now, but I was happy about it then.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Cassette Tapes
    Ten years ago I probably would have said vinyl, but with the vinyl revival I lean more towards cassette tapes these days. I still have a bunch of cassettes--most of them are mix tapes (how fun where they to get and give) and bootlegs. Every once in a while I'll pop one in to listen, careful not to listen too many times or else it will break. I must have gone through 5 copies of Ten when it first came out before I broke down and bought it on CD.

As for other media: these past few days I've had a weird nostalgia for music videos. Anyone else miss them?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    Vinyl
    coery said:

I recorded the Easter Sunday broadcast from the Fox Theater in Atlanta. I remember it was unedited and Ed did a DJ stint afterward. The station that broadcast it was a great radio station based out of Panama City, Florida. Total AOR/ non-singles format. They played "Against the 70's" and all kinds of cool stuff you would NEVER hear on the radio now. unfortunately they went off the air shortly after the PJ broadcast. I can't confirm this but I think the FCC fined the living shit out of them for the PJ broadcast. Ed was cursing like a sailor.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Compact Discs
    SD48277 said:

Ten years ago I probably would have said vinyl, but with the vinyl revival I lean more towards cassette tapes these days. I still have a bunch of cassettes--most of them are mix tapes (how fun where they to get and give) and bootlegs. Every once in a while I'll pop one in to listen, careful not to listen too many times or else it will break. I must have gone through 5 copies of Ten when it first came out before I broke down and bought it on CD.

As for other media: these past few days I've had a weird nostalgia for music videos. Anyone else miss them?

Big time, a while back when videos were popping up on the internet I ran into Nirvana's Sliver with the dancing baby and Cobain wearing the Kruger sweater...just brought back memories of watching Mtv and Vh1 late at night.
    Glad that most music videos are available at the click of a button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECJ9pCyhns
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Other Physical Media?
    For me, the most nostalgic is reel-to-reel tape. When I was a kid in the mid 50's my father brought home an Ampex ree-to-reel player and played some great tapes for us. Reel-to-reel is still the most superior sound for recorded music. It's amazing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Cassette Tapes
    Nostalgia-wise I voted for cassette tapes because of the various mix-tape stories that I can relate to so well.
    But vinyl reminds me of my parents. My dad loved to spin Get-Yer-Ya-Ya's Out on what felt like a daily basis. And I remember Born In The USA spinning on the record player throughout the mid-80's.
    CD's remind me of high school and when I truly developed an appreciation for great albums.
    So I guess I have a fondness for all three formats but since I was born in 1980 I voted cassette.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited November 2014
    Compact Discs
    CD's for me, as a music loving child of the 90s. I'm always late to the party, too...wore out my Discman til about 2006/2007, when I finally got an iPod. Still love buying the CD for an album I'm really excited about. Still remember the excitement of buying my first PJ albums (even though that was in 08)!
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Other Physical Media?
    Wax cylinders. &)
  • Options
    Vinyl

Wax cylinders. &)

:))
    great name too

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Vinyl
    Sony Walkman! Yes! Temple of the Dog & Ten on tape!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Cassette tapes. I never listen to them now but I remember sitting between the side of the couch and the stereo listening to our town's only rock station (on AM radio) during the request show waiting to tape the songs I liked. I would sit there with my finger ready to push the record button and my ear up against the speaker trying to discern the first few notes of the song behind the DJ's voice. My brother would sit there waiting too, ready to prompt me if he thought I was going to miss a good song. We'd end up with a mix tape always with the first few bars missing but the beginning of each song after a little squeal of the tape starting and half of the last word of whatever the DJ had just said - excellent!
  • Options
    Vinyl

Wow Brian!! How lucky you were! I've only heard a reel-to-reel
    Once in my life.. And yes it was amazing.
    brianlux said:

For me, the most nostalgic is reel-to-reel tape. When I was a kid in the mid 50's my father brought home an Ampex ree-to-reel player and played some great tapes for us. Reel-to-reel is still the most superior sound for recorded music. It's amazing.

I actually still have that old Stones record on vinyl!! I was just listening to it as I read this!!
    EBowie said:

Nostalgia-wise I voted for cassette tapes because of the various mix-tape stories that I can relate to so well.
    But vinyl reminds me of my parents. My dad loved to spin Get-Yer-Ya-Ya's Out on what felt like a daily basis. And I remember Born In The USA spinning on the record player throughout the mid-80's.
    CD's remind me of high school and when I truly developed an appreciation for great albums.
    So I guess I have a fondness for all three formats but since I was born in 1980 I voted cassette.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Other Physical Media?

Wow Brian!! How lucky you were! I've only heard a reel-to-reel
    Once in my life.. And yes it was amazing.

brianlux said:

I actually still have that old Stones record on vinyl!! I was just listening to it as I read this!!
    EBowie said:

Despite my nostalgia of reel-to-reel (I also had a room mate in 1970 who had an awesome tape machine), vinyl is still my number one favorite, whispering hands. Everything about is so great- the analog sound, cover art, liner notes and of course, the ritual of turning the record over. :-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Vinyl
    My Grandpa had a reel to reel in the living room up until I was a teenager. Great sound.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Vinyl
    Marsellus Wallace preferred reel to reel

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Vinyl
    My grandpa had an old Phono graph.. Victorola, in a box stand in the living room. It played 480 gm records, and you had to wind it up to play.. I would sit there for hours winding it and listening to Big Band records, and choirs on record! I loved it. When my Grandma died, and the estate, ( my uncle) started to portion things out, I asked if I could have it.. They said no, cause it was worth too much. It was the only thing my Grandpa would never sell on hard times. ( once he sold the family car to make ends meet, but never that Victorola). I was crushed when months later I saw it sold for 12,000 on EBay. Yes it was historic, came directly from Poland, and was a rare model.. But it was my memory they sold.. None of that other stuff mattered. Ugh..
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    edited November 2014
    Oh I really am spewin for you too, when we were kids we had a long turn table made out of wood with carved lions heads face in front of either side of the top turn table but it got old and they threw it out, but we spun heaps of records on it even chip muni style too lol
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Cassette Tapes
    lolobugg said:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cassette Tapes
    I still listen to CDs in my car so that disqualifies them from being nostalgic. So I gotta go with cassette tapes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Vinyl

lolobugg said:

:)) nice one

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Cassette Tapes
    cassette tapes. i was using these things for snowboarding right up until i got an iPod in 2003. before the iPod, the cassette walkman was the only way to go for this type of activity. these days you can't buy anything cassette related thru normal means. they disappeared before anyone even noticed
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    Vinyl
    Vinyl all the way. My dad had a huge record collection & I started collecting them myself when I went to college bc it reminded me of home. The first LPs I ever bought were at an antique mall in Emporia, KS. I still play them regularly.

Bob Dylan & The Band: Before The Flood
    The Doors: Morrison Hotel
    Led Zeppelin IV

The next week, I went to Wizard's cds & tapes and ordered No Code.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Cassette Tapes
    Shattered a Faith No More cassette when I dropped it in the driveway when it was -25F. (We had a bit of a cold snap.) My husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) was slightly irritated, but was a good sport about it. It only took me 18 years to own a copy again. This time, it's CD. :D
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Vinyl
    aqo2t.jpg