Options

Anyone angry they waited too long to get a guitar?

My Halloween treat was a new Taylor 816ce. I love this guitar but I'm really ticked off at myself for waiting so long to get it. I had a very nice custom shop Martin but I fell into this trap that it didn't sound like I wanted because I was doing something wrong (hell it is a Martin right?).

Well, after about 6 years I finally said enough with waiting and got the 816ce and it was everything I was looking for in an acoustic (ease of play, decent low end, much brighter than the Martin). I haven't been excited to play acoustic in a couple years and now I'm fired up. I just wish I had got it sooner.

It was a tough call between the 814ce and the 816ce but I liked the low end better on the 816.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about angry. I used to rely heavily on my strat...until the electronics messed up on it. I didn't play as much or have the cash to get it fully repaired so I had to start using my other guitars (11 of them) to get the feel I wanted. I started gelling with my G-400 and LP-100. Both had great feels but I never really gave the a chance until I was forced to.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    I'm mad I waited till I was 18 to start learning how to play bass/ guitar. I was looking when I was 16, then stoppped looking. When I was 10 I learned the trombone, wish I had a interest in guitar or bass back then. Of course I didn't know other music other than country existed back then.

I'm also bothered that after I started playing bass, I told myself I need a P-Bass. I went and bought several other guitars and basses, until I finally got a P-bass. Thats been the main bass ever since.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

I'm mad I waited till I was 18 to start learning how to play bass/ guitar. I was looking when I was 16, then stoppped looking. When I was 10 I learned the trombone, wish I had a interest in guitar or bass back then. Of course I didn't know other music other than country existed back then.

I'm also bothered that after I started playing bass, I told myself I need a P-Bass. I went and bought several other guitars and basses, until I finally got a P-bass. Thats been the main bass ever since.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and you scratch your head sometimes at the decisions you make. I regret not sticking with piano lessons when I was a kid. I hated it at the time but would have been a great learning opportunity.
  • Options
    I think I may have the opposite problem. I have a "impulse" buying problem. As it pertains to guitars, I have purchased what I have wanted. I have no regrets, just too many guitars that dont get played as often as they should
  • Options
    ejleonjr said:

I think I may have the opposite problem. I have a "impulse" buying problem. As it pertains to guitars, I have purchased what I have wanted. I have no regrets, just too many guitars that dont get played as often as they should

Agreed. When I graduated high school I got the Kalamazoo Promise (free college for four years) plus a bunch of scholarships. Any graduation money I got was spent on guitars. Looking back, I' glad I got them all but I just don't play nearly as much as I used to.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    I'm not "angry" but wish I would have started playing/learning earlier. Congrats on your new Taylor!!! I have a 114 (my first guitar) and love it. I wish it had a cutaway though. At the time, I thought- "I'm not going to be playing anything but open chords for a long time"......dumb. I was looking at a sweet Taylor 214 recently....http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-214ce-Deluxe-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-109864199-i3568711.gc
  • Options
    BHealy said:

I'm not "angry" but wish I would have started playing/learning earlier. Congrats on your new Taylor!!! I have a 114 (my first guitar) and love it. I wish it had a cutaway though. At the time, I thought- "I'm not going to be playing anything but open chords for a long time"......dumb. I was looking at a sweet Taylor 214 recently....http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-214ce-Deluxe-Grand-Auditorium-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-109864199-i3568711.gc

That 214 is sweet looking. Buy it!
  • Options

BHealy said:

That 214 is sweet looking. Buy it!
    It plays great too!!! The sound is sweet. Wifey would kill me however....I'm trying to convince her to let me buy a tube amp. :)
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    I have the Taylor 214, worth every penny. I wish I had bought my Gibson Es 335 20 years ago rather than the shitty Fender Squier I had for years. Also wish I had discovered dropped D tuning years ago lol.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options

I have the Taylor 214, worth every penny. I wish I had bought my Gibson Es 335 20 years ago rather than the shitty Fender Squier I had for years. Also wish I had discovered dropped D tuning years ago lol.

Nice! I haven't been playing too long, but I wish I would have gotten that cutaway....Someday maybe! I did get an American strat- that is definitely worth the money too.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've regretted getting junk instead of saving up for a quality piece. I haven't bought a new guitar in years, after averaging two purchases a year. Now I'm saving for a really nice acoustic (Martin GPC-PA4, probably) and a really nice electric (Gibson ES-339). I've really started regretting waiting on the Gibson, since the inflation rate from Gibson is roughly 30% annually.

Like a few guys said already, it depends on whether you'll play the guitar. If you buy a shiny object to let it sit in the case, what did you gain? But if it's that guitar that calls you to play more, or to play in new ways, that's a guitar you shouldn't wait on it. Imagine if Clapton never found Blackie, or Jimmy Page never found his Les Paul, or Angus Young his SG. If you can find that instrument that melds with you, becomes part of your DNA… why wait?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I love my Taylors! I always had a really high opinion of Martins--Neil Young plays them--but my guitar teacher is pretty down on them and says they're not what they're cracked up to be anymore. I don't know if he's right, but I've yet to go wrong deferring to his infinite guitar wisdom (two acoustic Taylors, a '65 Fender Mustang reissue and a '78 Electra X330 MPC Les Paul later...)

I regret not starting to learn guitar as a teen (I was too intimidated) and waiting until middle age, but if you had told me 5 years ago when I started and didn't even know how to hold the thing that I'd be able to play Rush's Xanadu in that short of time, well, better late than never.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    I think from here on out I'm going to look at used gear. I've got the basics covered (strat, tele, Les Paul, Martin, Taylor) and I think it will be easier now to add on some better quality items like 12 strings, hollow body, etc. and not wait so long saving up the funds.
  • Options

I think from here on out I'm going to look at used gear. I've got the basics covered (strat, tele, Les Paul, Martin, Taylor) and I think it will be easier now to add on some better quality items like 12 strings, hollow body, etc. and not wait so long saving up the funds.

That has been my strategy. Most recently I got a PRS custom 24 that was 6 months old, everything appears in mint condition, but paid half the price.
  • Options
    Used, seems like a good plan! And when I first started someone advised me to "get a Taylor or Martin acoustic and you won't go wrong." I thought that was good advice, but I tried a bunch of different models, and settled on the Taylor 114 (couldn't afford much more). As soon as I put my hands on it and put it in my lap, I knew it was "the one." I just don't like the feel of Martin's as much.

Gibson's price increases seem outrageous to me. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe from Guitar Center, that I love. I don't really understand why the other models are so much more, but esthetically they look great with the binding.