Options

*** ACL Festival Fanviews Here 10/5/14 ***

13»

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Yeah for ACL go explore. Dont sit at the rail all day. You miss out on so much. Have a fun relaxed day and enjoy the 10th row.
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Get_Right said:

We set up a base camp near the front of the "chair zone" to the right of the sound board around 1230pm.
    People came and went all afternoon going to see all the different acts and a group of 12 of us convened for the replacements and PJ. it was so much fun to have that many friends together for a show-tough to pull that off at an arena. We had plenty of space and everyone around us was very cool. I can see the band up close at a typical PJ show. This was a party with PJ as the house band!

man, this sounds like something i would totally be for this sunday's gig, did that happen organically or did you communicate w/other 10c members prior to the gig? i am going w/wife and 10 year old daughter and they are splitting for lorde at 7, would like to watch some/most of pj w/them w/out having to walk back 100 yards from a closer viewing area.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited October 2014
    It was planned with friends none of whom were 10c members. We took turns each day going early to grab a good spot in the chair section and setting up our space. Keep in mind we were not that close. If you look at the pics you can see that the sound board is pretty far back. We had chairs and a blanket and mini umbrellas to keep the sun off our backs. Totally chill space with no hassles. And it was a short walk to the beers and the portos. Only thing we didn't have was a tall flag, which is the common way people find each other at ACL. Next time.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703

By the way I'm definitely wearing earplugs next week. I can usually deal no problem being that close to the stage, but my ears are totally F'd up today. Probably the loudest show I've been to in a long long time.

Please don't fix the sound for Lincoln.... we want it extra loud!!! the 90's were the last time I've heard any decent loudness outta a band... PS,.. I'm apologizing in advance for anyone that I may offend....
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    Suziemay said:

Instead of the (however justified) whining about the apparent lacks of respect for the Replacements ... anyone wanna talk about the Pearl Jam portion of the show? ;)

I already did! Up there somewhere!

Here's the awesome LBC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaEZu2ANes

that's fn' awesome.... thanks so much or the post.... cant wait til tomorrow nite!!!
  • Options
    I showed up at 2pm and saw the faithful already along the rail. No way I was going to spend 6 more hours in that sun. So I went exploring and soaked in some of the other music.
    When I came back I took up real estate almost dead center at the sound booth. Perfect view, great sound and nobody in front of me but the nice security folks.

Got to take home the Back stage pass samples that they print out to identify that days passes. Neat little one of a kind memento.

I did think that momentum was lost with Fathers son, LBC and Comeback. The only lull of the night.

Great show though. The energy was definitely there that night!
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 820
    edited October 2014
    ACL was my 30th show and I thought the band was very tight and the performance was good. With that being said, I brought 6 non Pearl Jam fans to the show expecting to blow them away and that didn't happen. I was disappointed the band decided not to play a lot of their hits. They are at a festival with a lot of non Pearl Jam fans and they play Father's Son, LBC, Got Some, Faithfull INSTEAD of Betterman, Jeremy, Black, Not For You, and Given To Fly. I know Eddie likes to test the audience (and I appreciate that part of the band) but this setlist really fell flat. Almost fell into a lull midway through. They could have crushed it and brought a lot of new fans into the band but maybe that isn't their intention. I'm starting to think maybe they save the hits for the long time fans as some kind of reward? I was almost shocked to see the Tulsa setlist include more hit songs than ACL!!! Who knows. Anyway, I will always love the band and appreciate everything they do for us. I hope they play to the audience on Sunday and make ACL their own.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,745
    vedpunk said:

ACL was my 30th show and I thought the band was very tight and the performance was good. With that being said, I brought 6 non Pearl Jam fans to the show expecting to blow them away and that didn't happen. I was disappointed the band decided not to play a lot of their hits. They are at a festival with a lot of non Pearl Jam fans and they play Father's Son, LBC, Got Some, Faithfull INSTEAD of Betterman, Jeremy, Black, Not For You, and Given To Fly. I know Eddie likes to test the audience (and I appreciate that part of the band) but this setlist really fell flat. Almost fell into a lull midway through. They could have crushed it and brought a lot of new fans into the band but maybe that isn't their intention. I'm starting to think maybe they save the hits for the long time fans as some kind of reward? I was almost shocked to see the Tulsa setlist include more hit songs than ACL!!! Who knows. Anyway, I will always love the band and appreciate everything they do for us. I hope they play to the audience on Sunday and make ACL their own.

Ha ... I had the exact opposite experience. I brought some casual fans and was thrilled the set was so heavy on Ten and Vs. I mean, the encore was basically lifted straight out of out of 1995. Beginning with the end of the main set, 10 out of the final 11 songs were at least 18 years old.

Aside from that four-or-five songs stretch that began with Lightning Bolt, this was very much a greatest hits set. And I was happy for it.

(Seriously ... go back and look at the setlist: Evenflow, Daughter, Rearviewmirror, Alive, Porch, Small Town, SOLAT, Corduroy, Go, Why Go, RITFW. There's a lot of longtime staples in there.)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 820
    Don't get me wrong, I still loved the show but maybe it was the flow of the show that might have been off. The hits were all packed together in the set and all of the more obscure songs were packed together. Also, I wouldn't call Comeback or Lukin hits.
  • Options
    The set list and show both kicked ass. Why do haters gotta hate?
    Walking is still honest
  • Options
    vedpunk said:

Don't get me wrong, I still loved the show but maybe it was the flow of the show that might have been off. The hits were all packed together in the set and all of the more obscure songs were packed together. Also, I wouldn't call Comeback or Lukin hits.

I wasn't counting Come Back as a "hit," and Lukin is only like 90 seconds long so it hardly counts as anything. I'm just saying, they probably played a greater percentage of old stuff at that show than any I've been to in 10 years. It was a typical festival setlist. I couldn't imagine them playing the 10 songs from Ten/Vs. plus all the ones you mentioned. They haven't played a show like that since Vs was brand new.

I agree that the familiar songs were played in bunches. Basically, the casual fans had to endure about a 20-minute stretch in the first set where all the songs were probably unfamiliar.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:

I wouldn't say there were any obscure songs played. Faithful, LBC and red mosquito were the nuggets for the hardcore fans, but I would not call them obscure.
    I do agree that there was a part of the show where it didn't flow. This section:
    My Father's Son
    Got Some
    Even Flow
    Sirens

And come back sucked the energy out of the crowd IMHO-maybe not the best choice for a festival. Aside from even flow, I would replace all of those songs. Still great time though.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    come back was played for a reason
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

come back was played for a reason

Yup.
  • Options
    I guess its awesome that the band does that, but it is a momentum killer.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    This thread is becoming a bummer. Fanviews, anyone??? Any cool experiences, made nice connections, etc etc etc? I was on such a high after this show, help me keep it going!!! :D
  • Options
    gnazteegnaztee Battle Ground, WA Posts: 82
    Suziemay said:

This thread is becoming a bummer. Fanviews, anyone??? Any cool experiences, made nice connections, etc etc etc? I was on such a high after this show, help me keep it going!!! :D

Sure, I'll throw in a good one. ACL was most likely the only remotely possible chance for my wife and I to see her favorite band in the world (Turnpike Troubadours...independent red dirt country band, not the Kenny Chesney pop country crap...they're damn good) and mine in the same place...and they played back to back!!! So cool, we were rocking out to each other's band.

And we were able to hustle back for the first chords of Long Road and have great seats to the side because some quality PJ fans watched our chairs. So, there's a good experience!

One more thing. After slogging hours through the mud for ACL 2009, the sun last Sunday was very welcome.
    Portland '93, Seattle 1 '98, Seattle 2 '00, Phoenix '03, ACL '09, Dallas '13, OKC '13, ACL 1 '14, Bogota '15, Wrigley 1&2 '16
  • Options
    gnaztee said:

Suziemay said:

Sure, I'll throw in a good one. ACL was most likely the only remotely possible chance for my wife and I to see her favorite band in the world (Turnpike Troubadours...independent red dirt country band, not the Kenny Chesney pop country crap...they're damn good) and mine in the same place...and they played back to back!!! So cool, we were rocking out to each other's band.

And we were able to hustle back for the first chords of Long Road and have great seats to the side because some quality PJ fans watched our chairs. So, there's a good experience!

One more thing. After slogging hours through the mud for ACL 2009, the sun last Sunday was very welcome.
    That's what I'm talking about! That's so cool that both your favourite bands were playing in the same festival. Love it. Thanks for indulging me :D
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

I guess its awesome that the band does that, but it is a momentum killer.

Good point. They should probably only play all the hits that everybody knows. Repeat Jeremy twice if they have to. ;)

• Options
    Suziemay said:

It was just a bad ass show, and it reminded me how -- even after all these years, no matter how much time has passed between my seeing shows -- I can always come back to this band.

They feel like home to me. And it is awesome that I'm watching four of the same five guys I first saw live on stage at Southpark Meadows in 1995 still play together, and in some cases still play the same songs.

It's nostalgia, but it's more than that. It's like re-connecting with an old friend after time apart. When we're together again, it's like we never left.

In a way, Pearl Jam has been the longest continuous relationship of my life. No matter where I go or what happens to me, they have been there in the background.

That's the thought that hit me as I saw these guys walk out on stage last Sunday: "Hey guys. Good to see you again."

• Options
    edited October 2014

Suziemay said:

It was just a bad ass show, and it reminded me how -- even after all these years, no matter how much time has passed between my seeing shows -- I can always come back to this band.

They feel like home to me. And it is awesome that I'm watching four of the same five guys I first saw live on stage at Southpark Meadows in 1995 still play together, and in some cases still play the same songs.

It's nostalgia, but it's more than that. It's like re-connecting with an old friend after time apart. When we're together again, it's like we never left.

In a way, Pearl Jam has been the longest continuous relationship of my life. No matter where I go or what happens to me, they have been there in the background.

That's the thought that hit me as I saw these guys walk out on stage last Sunday: "Hey guys. Good to see you again."

Wow, you hit on all the feelings I go through whenever I go to a Pearl Jam show! I'm probably a later fan (post 2000) but have been making up for lost time the last few years. I can only imagine how wonderful it is to see the band evolve from those early days to where they are now.

They feel like home to me too :) I explain to my non PJ friends that it's like going to see family everytime I go to a show. It's not just a concert, it's so much more than that. I honestly wasn't keen on going to a festival show, but I was beyond thrilled that that same feeling was there even at a festival show. And what a killer show it was! Extra bonus: I was around some super cool fans!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,719
    TONIGHT!!! Listen to Pearl Jam's October 5th ACL Austin, TX show on Channel 22 SiriusXM PJ Radio @ 9pm EST. :)
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    What a good Setlist :)
  • Options
    I was at this show and it was AMAZING. Any way to listen to it?
  • Options
    DC3528DC3528 Posts: 56
    Hey guys, wanted to share my professional photos I took of this show. First time photographing Pearl Jam (been in the fan club since 94) and was a once in a lifetime experience:
    http://davidcoalter.smugmug.com/Photos/Pearl-Jam-Austin-City-Limits/n-xBH6d/
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    Saeglopur said:

I was at this show and it was AMAZING. Any way to listen to it?

http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=3048
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    DC3528 said:

Hey guys, wanted to share my professional photos I took of this show. First time photographing Pearl Jam (been in the fan club since 94) and was a once in a lifetime experience:
    http://davidcoalter.smugmug.com/Photos/Pearl-Jam-Austin-City-Limits/n-xBH6d/

You got some great shots!
  • Options
    marynicole27marynicole27 USA Posts: 25
    edited January 2015
    Okay, so I am a good 4 months late on this review but here it is.

I woke up at 2:30 AM due to absolute excitement and decided to make a poster - I actually made around 5 different posters because I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to say. I turned 18 in July, so this was the first time I've ever been anywhere without my parents and what a place to experience by myself. ACL is very spirited and VERY HOT - but I will definitely be going again.

I made my poor friend get up at 5 AM and dragged her downtown, where we parked maybe 100 feet from the entrance ($15 parking all day super close, why didn't I figure this out the first two days???) and we were the third and fourth people there. Everyone who showed up this ungodly early was for Pearl Jam, and everyone was very surprised that we (two 18 year old girls in converse playing Scrabble with cheez-it's) were there for Pearl Jam too.

About thirty minutes before they opened the gates, someone mentioned the run to the stage. And that is when I became absolutely terrified. The run? The run was .8 miles (I think, it might have been .3, come to think of it) but it was still more than I was prepared for. Third person there, fifteenth to get to the barrier. However, I was still front row and I was still oh-so-very happy.

I didn't leave my perch once. Not even to go to the bathroom. I think it was so hot that I actually sweat out all of the water that I'd been drinking. The Replacements were amazing and I have since become a huge fan. Towards the end of their set you could see Ed ROCKING out in the corner off stage. Of course, once he saw that everyone was staring and taking pictures of him, he took a few steps back and disappeared behind stage.

The poster that I'd chosen to bring had one song on it, the one song that I'd fallen in love with and thought I was probably never going to hear live. "Faithful" in bright red letters was what I'd chosen, but I actually decided to keep it at my feet, not wanting to block everyone behind me's vision.

After what felt like 72 hours, Pearl Jam came out. "Long Road" was the best opener I could have hoped for (though I kind of wanted to hear "Pendulum" or "Release"). Songs that I could have only dreamt of hearing live were played and I even have a new found appreciation for LBC. Ed's version of "Imagine" was so beautiful, I actually got a line from John's song tattooed once I got back home.

But then, out of nowhere, Faithful started playing. Everyone (strangers who I wish I could have gotten to know better - Pearl Jam has the most amazing, kind-hearted, beautiful fans) around me who had seen my poster began to nudge me and pat my shoulders. Tears streaming down my face, I sang horribly along to my favorite song, knowing that no other band would ever hold this much meaning to me ever.

While Ed was speaking between one of the songs, I decided to wave maniacally at Mike, who I believe waved back (in my general direction at least) AND THEN the best moment of my whole life happened when Ed came running between the barriers and I touched his gloriously sweaty hand.

Absolute bliss.

Here's my french-bread loaf looking arm
    2j64o6a.jpg

And here's me hiding under my poster and my friend hating me
    30axkk6.jpg

And finally this is a terrifying mid concert selfie showcasing my huge teeth
    11wcwoi.jpg
    Post edited by marynicole27 on
    November 1, 2013 - Voodoo Festival
    October 5, 2014 - ACL festival

How I choose to feel is how I am