Unhappy with the state of the world? What are we doing about it?

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

Big changes, evilrona! Excellent!

Vegan diet is the best for the world we live in and I've done it a few times and eat vegetarian much of the time. Not perfect, but fairly often.

Was it a veggie bday cake?
    Actually, it was peach cobbler. :-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    vigilante justice... we need more of this; then the world would be a better place
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    chadwick said:

vigilante justice... we need more of this; then the world would be a better place

I told the cyclist in front of me on the Manhattan Bridge today that his rear wheel was wobbly. Does that count?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

chadwick said:

I told the cyclist in front of me on the Manhattan Bridge today that his rear wheel was wobbly. Does that count?
    That sounds more like "just vigilance". I had someone point out to me a blown tire on a trailer I was towing once. Guy might have saved my bacon!

Good eye, good move, dankind! :-)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    dankind said:

chadwick said:

Yes,as long as said cyclist wasn't in full blown USPS lance Armstrong like spandex as if midway thru the tour de france.If he was Then you have a responsibility to the rest of us to just let him go.

brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

Big changes, evilrona! Excellent!

Vegan diet is the best for the world we live in and I've done it a few times and eat vegetarian much of the time. Not perfect, but fairly often.

Was it a veggie bday cake?
    Actually, it was peach cobbler. :-)

Damn,Now I'm thinking Pie for breakfast.Thats ok right?
  • groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    evilrona said:

Few things that I found myself changing lately in my life, and it makes me feel better:
    I gave up meat, fish, eggs and trying to avoid dairy as much as I can (only thing left is getting rid of coffee in the morning, working on it). I've been vegan before but somehow got back to eating meat. This time, I just came to this point when realized "I don't want to be a part of it".
    So I cook more often, healthy veggie dishes, re-discovering my way in the kitchen, this time without cruelty :)
    I also try to get rid of drinking sodas. works most of the time ;)

I buy much less than I used to, I used to buy clothing and such way too often. Especially when I traveled abroad. And just woke up one day and decided I wanna get rid of things, so I sold some and donated the rest and it feels so much lighter. I learned to choose quality over quantity.

And the most important thing is that I started creating things, when I want something I first of all think "can I make it?" if so, I do it. I take sewing classes, I create my own clothes and I love it.

Small changes, I know it's not something big, I know I can do more. But it is a good start.

Here is a pic with 2 dresses I sewed and some crochet work.

Nice work on the dresses! I am hopeless with a needle. So much so that when I told my husband I could sew on a button, he was doubtful. I did used to crochet...

I have been vegetarian for 20 plus years, mostly avoid dairy and eggs too for the last 5 or so. Try to avoid leather, volunteer at the animal shelter, etc. Good for me, the animals, and the environment.
    edited August 2014
    grooveme said:

evilrona said:

Few things that I found myself changing lately in my life, and it makes me feel better:
    I gave up meat, fish, eggs and trying to avoid dairy as much as I can (only thing left is getting rid of coffee in the morning, working on it). I've been vegan before but somehow got back to eating meat. This time, I just came to this point when realized "I don't want to be a part of it".
    So I cook more often, healthy veggie dishes, re-discovering my way in the kitchen, this time without cruelty :)
    I also try to get rid of drinking sodas. works most of the time ;)

I buy much less than I used to, I used to buy clothing and such way too often. Especially when I traveled abroad. And just woke up one day and decided I wanna get rid of things, so I sold some and donated the rest and it feels so much lighter. I learned to choose quality over quantity.

And the most important thing is that I started creating things, when I want something I first of all think "can I make it?" if so, I do it. I take sewing classes, I create my own clothes and I love it.

Small changes, I know it's not something big, I know I can do more. But it is a good start.

Here is a pic with 2 dresses I sewed and some crochet work.

Nice work on the dresses! I am hopeless with a needle. So much so that when I told my husband I could sew on a button, he was doubtful. I did used to crochet...

I have been vegetarian for 20 plus years, mostly avoid dairy and eggs too for the last 5 or so. Try to avoid leather, volunteer at the animal shelter, etc. Good for me, the animals, and the environment.
    Do you find yourself more prone to catching colds and feeling run down without the animal protien?
    I've toyed around with different eating habits and currently just avoid dairy and simple carbs and sugar.6days a week(Pizza on cheat day).But when I gave a raw all plant based diet a spin.I thought it was lacking and tough to get all the grams of protien needed.And just not as yummy.
    I found being an avid gym rat meathead,that the lack of lean animal protien not only made me feel like I had less energy,but my recoup time seemed off.I watched That video Forks over knives and tried some concepts they talked about,and it had Merritt but I can't get past the Big protien defecit
    Tonight I felt like it's time to revive this thread.  We talk a lot here, but what are we doing?  No one needs to answer that, but maybe we should just think about it.  What are we doing to make a difference?  Did we go to a rally yesterday?  Did we make a call, sign a petition, write a letter, or just write stuff on social media about what's going on in the world? 

I've done some work but I can always do more.  Anyone else feel the same way?

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I fantasize about a revolution like the French revolution.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014