Options

For residents of St Louis, Moline, St Paul, and Denver

iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
edited May 2014 in The Porch
I booked hotels for these shows in hopes that i am going to all of them, just curious how the areas are that i booked in in relation to the venue they looks close to the venues, how is safety, food situation, etc... any other tips, i know we have alot of time i just like to plan ahead!

St Louis i have these reserved for now
Pear Tree Inn Union Station
Union Station - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Drury Inn Union Station

Moline
Radisson on John Deere Commons-Moline

St Paul
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelly Inn
Holiday Inn St. Paul Downtown

Denver
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver-Downtown

Post edited by iamloco724 on

Comments

• Options
    RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 295
    For Moline, you picked the right hotel. You are surrounded by food and bars, all within walking distance. The iWireless is right next to the Radisson.
  • Options
    bb4packersbb4packers Posts: 175
    In St. Louis any of the Union Station hotels will be within walking distance of the ScottTrade Center. I've not stayed in any of those but the location is good. Drury Inn is a midwest chain that is usually nicer than you'd think it would be - usually like a Courtyard by Marriott. Probably the nicest hotel close to ScottTrade is the Westin downtown (just west of Busch stadium). Pretty new with a good bar.
  • Options
    GB45499GB45499 Posts: 232
    In Denver, it's not really close to the Pepsi Center...but it could be walking distance if you catch the 16th Mall shuttle (it's free) and take it to the other end then walk it in. The hotel might have a shuttle. As far as safety, it's fairly decent...you shouldn't worry too much about looking over your shoulder. For food, you can't walk a full block on the Mall without coming across something to eat. The Denver nightlife is usually 'on' every night of the week, so if you are staying more then one night...there is plenty to see and do nearby that hotel.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    rpech'erpech'e Twin Cities Posts: 1,106
    The Holiday Inn Downtown St. Paul is right across the street from the main entrance to the X.
    That's where you want to be :)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    residents*
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    ldent42 said:

residents*

Yeah sorry phone auto corrected that, fixed it!
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    edited May 2014
    GB45499 said:

In Denver, it's not really close to the Pepsi Center...but it could be walking distance if you catch the 16th Mall shuttle (it's free) and take it to the other end then walk it in. The hotel might have a shuttle. As far as safety, it's fairly decent...you shouldn't worry too much about looking over your shoulder. For food, you can't walk a full block on the Mall without coming across something to eat. The Denver nightlife is usually 'on' every night of the week, so if you are staying more then one night...there is plenty to see and do nearby that hotel.

Good luck!!!

While I love downtown Denver, it's not as safe as everyone thinks. Last year I went to red rocks to see the national. The night before the show, I got mugged walking back to my hotel (the Westin off the 16th street mall). I had 35 stitches, a concussion, and about a grand in missing money/property. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s and I'm not a small guy. Anyway, the detective told me this shit happens all the time around the nice parts of downtown Denver.
    I still love hanging out in Denver, I'm probably going to see PJ there if I can clear my schedule for a few days, but downtown Denver is hardly safe.
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Welllll, both of the Denver facts presented here are true.. The nightlife is always kickin, and it's not usually considered too "safe" even in the nicer areas.. But if I remember right, the Hampton Inns here DO have a shuttle service??? None the less it is a very doable location, and close enough to
    Major things for some extra security.

Just keep in mind, we have concealed weapons allowances out here. You never know whose carrying. If you're really worried, and you shouldn't be, go go a army or police surplus store and get the high ten pepper spray. But honestly?? I think you'll be ok..
  • Options
    GB45499GB45499 Posts: 232
    dr122931 said:

GB45499 said:

In Denver, it's not really close to the Pepsi Center...but it could be walking distancwithe if you catch the 16th Mall shuttle (it's free) and take it to the other end then walk it in. The hotel might have a shuttle. As far as safety, it's fairly decent...you shouldn't worry too much about looking over your shoulder. For food, you can't walk a full block on the Mall without coming across something to eat. The Denver nightlife is usually 'on' every night of the week, so if you are staying more then one night...there is plenty to see and do nearby that hotel.

Good luck!!!

While I love downtown Denver, it's not as safe as everyone thinks. Last year I went to red rocks to see the national. The night before the show, I got mugged walking back to my hotel (the Westin off the 16th street mall). I had 35 stitches, a concussion, and about a grand in missing money/property. For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 30s and I'm not a small guy. Anyway, the detective told me this shit happens all the time around the nice parts of downtown Denver.
    I still love hanging out in Denver, I'm probably going to see PJ there if I can clear my schedule for a few days, but downtown Denver is hardly safe.
    Oh damn!! That totally sucks!!! I stand corrected. I don't go downtown nearly as often as I use to these days, and looking back, I almost always have two other people with me. I'm sorry that happened to you in my hometown.
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    i've posted this before, but i'll post it again - please feel free to use my friends and family discount link...

http://www.ihgfriendsandfamily.com/kn74c5r
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    adoffinadoffin Blaine, MN Posts: 398
    Agreed....in St. Paul stay at the Holiday Inn...right across the street from the X and you can fall into bed from any of about a half dozen bars without walking more than a block. Ditch the Best Western unless it's 5x's cheaper
    Chicago - 6/29/98
    Indianapolis - 8/18/00
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    St. Paul - 6/26/06 (w/Petty)
    St. Paul - 6/27/06 (w/Petty)
    Chicago - 8/23/09
    Minneapolis - 7/2/11 (Ed)
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/3/11
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/4/11
    Wrigley - 7/19/13
    Pittsburgh - 10/11/13
    Buffalo - 10/12/13
    Moline - 10/17/14
    St. Paul - 10/19/14
    Milwaukee - 10/20/14
    Wrigley - 8/20/16
    Wrigley - 8/22/16
    Wrigley - 8/18/18
    Wrigley - 8/20/18
    St. Louis - 9/18/22
    St. Paul 1 - 8/31/23
    St. Paul 2 - 9/2/23
    Chicago 1 - 9/5/23
    Chicago 2 - 9/7/23
    Wrigley - 8/29/24
    Wrigley - 8/31/24
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    GB45499 said:

dr122931 said:

GB45499 said:

In Denver, it's not really close to the Pepsi Center...but it could be walking distancwithe if you catch the 16th Mall shuttle (it's free) and take it to the other end then walk it in. The hotel might have a shuttle. As far as safety, it's fairly decent...you shouldn't worry too much about looking over your shoulder. For food, you can't walk a full block on the Mall without coming across something to eat. The Denver nightlife is usually 'on' every night of the week, so if you are staying more then one night...there is plenty to see and do nearby that hotel.

Good luck!!!

Oh damn!! That totally sucks!!! I stand corrected. I don't go downtown nearly as often as I use to these days, and looking back, I almost always have two other people with me. I'm sorry that happened to you in my hometown.
    Thank you. For what it's worth, I just put in a bid for Denver tickets. So, it hasn't ruined me from your great city.
  • Options
    hyperballadxhyperballadx Posts: 138
    edited May 2014
    Holiday Inn St. Paul Downtown for sure like the rest have said, it is right across the street from the Excel.

Downtown St Paul is alright, it will be super busy due to out of towners so it will be just fine. There is some sightseeing you could do as the Mississippi River will be right next to you. Cossetta's will be right across the street as well, so definitely check it out for some amazing pizza and other Italian goodness. If you are into beer, Great Waters is great and has the best beers on cask in the Twin Cities. If you ever watched the Might Ducks back in the day you will find the Mickey's Diner car right by Great Waters :)

Not sure if you will have a car or not but if you do, Brasa down Grand Ave is a delicious rotisserie joint, and you can always venture onto Minneapolis.

Have fun and best of luck.
    Post edited by hyperballadx on
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    For Denver, I'd check the Hyatt Convention Center (there are two Hyatts downtown, this one is the glassy high-rise right next to Convention Center around 14th and Welton maybe?). It would put you closer to Pepsi Center and is nice, rates are reasonable. If you want to be closer to Lodo, the Westin, or Oxford (old charm near Union Station) are more expensive but both nice and pretty close to Pepsi Center too. If you want something special, Hotel Teatro is my favorite.

So sorry to hear about someone getting mugged last year! I probably think downtown is safer than it is because I'm not down there late very often.