Options

Do Pearl Jam ever do meet and greets?

EddieisNumber1EddieisNumber1 Brisbane, Australia Posts: 49
I'm pretty much still a PJ noobie, only been a fan two years and missed out on when they were here earlier this year plus the ed solo tour.

Just wondering, if they ever have done them? Like get pics with him or the band and such?

Comments

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I'm fairly sure that they have never done a paid meet and greet if that's what you meant.

They will come talk to you if you hang out long enough outside the venue between the door and thie tour bus, or if you run into them on the street/near their hotel.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    It's very rare. There was a meet and greet sans Ed for the last Missoula show. Basically your only shot is to catch them at in fundraising mode.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    They're not going to sit down at a table and sign autographs for a line of people, if that's what you mean.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    Missoula is the only one I'm aware of.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Missoula was fun. Great times
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    Ahr MannAhr Mann Posts: 141
    Would you, if you were them? Hell. No.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    ComeToTX said:

Missoula is the only one I'm aware of.

And it sounds like everyone had a great time, but Eddie was really sick so didn't go, or at least I assume that's why he didn't go (Jeff also did his own earlier that day at a little political rally with Tester).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.
    Yep - and those bands typically charge a few hundred bucks for doing them. If I were them, there's no way in hell I would do it. I just don't envision them wanting to sit around and talk about the lyrics to yellow Ledbetter, their favorite wines, sports, 10C issues, or other misc bullshit with their rabid fan base. I sure wouldn't want to if I were them.

I wouldn't want to go to a meet and greet with them either (I say that, but I'm sure I would actually jump at the opportunity). If the opportunity ever presented itself, I would love to have a drink with one of the guys or just bullshit with them, but I wouldn't want to because they were obligated to do so because I bought a 300 pass. Every friend of mine who has ever done a meet and greet left really disappointed.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dr122931 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.
    Yep - and those bands typically charge a few hundred bucks for doing them. If I were them, there's no way in hell I would do it. I just don't envision them wanting to sit around and talk about the lyrics to yellow Ledbetter, their favorite wines, sports, 10C issues, or other misc bullshit with their rabid fan base. I sure wouldn't want to if I were them.

I wouldn't want to go to a meet and greet with them either (I say that, but I'm sure I would actually jump at the opportunity). If the opportunity ever presented itself, I would love to have a drink with one of the guys or just bullshit with them, but I wouldn't want to because they were obligated to do so because I bought a 300 pass. Every friend of mine who has ever done a meet and greet left really disappointed.
    I would personally never pay for a meet and greet, or go to one for free, for that matter. It's embarrassing. I think it's totally fucking weird to pay to "get" to talk to someone, and even weirder to charge money to people to "get" to talk to you! So I definitely wouldn't do the paid ones. It's completely demeaning/arrogant IMO, so I certainly HOPE that PJ would never do such a thing. But if it were me, I'd do one once in a while for free - an organized signing probably. Nothing wrong with those.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

dr122931 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.

I would personally never pay for a meet and greet, or go to one for free, for that matter. It's embarrassing. I think it's totally fucking weird to pay to "get" to talk to someone, and even weirder to charge money to people to "get" to talk to you! So I definitely wouldn't do the paid ones. It's completely demeaning/arrogant IMO, so I certainly HOPE that PJ would never do such a thing. But if it were me, I'd do one once in a while for free - an organized signing probably. Nothing wrong with those.
    Yeah, it'd be odd and awkward to / for me.

If serendipity smiled upon me and I happened to encounter one of the band (or any artist whom I respect), I'd try to say hey and thank you and be on my way or let nature take its course. I'm just not the autograph or ask-to-take-a-photo-with-them type of person.

(also, I had to :D at the comment about talking 10C issues with them)
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    PJ_Soul said:

dr122931 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.

Agree. Well said.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,201
    I guess there's sort of a middle solution. The Metallica Fan club does a draw for every show for people with metclub tickets, and a handful (I'm guessing not very many) can win meet and greet passes. They don't charge for them but it's pretty hard to win. They don't even let you bring a guest.. lol. I've never entered because I'm not sure how to say to my wife, hey can you can wait hear for a bit I'm going to go in and meet Metallica.... lol.

At that point your not paying for it but I imagine the band gets tired of doing it night after night.

If I were famous I wouldn't want to do so I can't blame famous people for not wanting too.... PJ never struck me as a band what would, and most definitely never struck me as a band that would charge for it.
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    I did the Missoula show and they made it a pretty cool experience. I just did one for Tool in Spokane in order to get a ticket and what they did was really great. Adam Jones basically stood in front of the seated room of guests and pretty much gave a lecture about all things band, music and music industry related. Then he gave guitar tips and showed techniques and explained theory all while tying it into the history of he band. He jammed along to rythym tracks to show theory and then he handed his guitar to the guests so they could check it out. He signed a poster for each person or in lieu of a poster one item. He took one photo with each attendee Then they took everyone in for sound check. Tickets for the attendees were all in the first 5 rows for the show. They had a small gift bag with assorted items and then allowed early access to merch. Then entry to the show. I thought it was a really great idea. Adam took all kinds of questions and it made for a great experience. It felt like the coolest college lecture you could ever attend.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    I won the grand prize to the SiriusXM Town Hall in Seattle last October, got to meet the band:

• Options
    EddieisNumber1EddieisNumber1 Brisbane, Australia Posts: 49
    dmbolp said:

I won the grand prize to the SiriusXM Town Hall in Seattle last October, got to meet the band:

Wow you are a very lucky person!!

Yeah well who knows if they will ever do them, probably not. But like dmbolp up top, maybe they'll do prizes ever so and so. Us Australians were very lucky to meet 3 cast members of the show Sons of Anarchy and i was one of them. It costed about $250 but it was hell worth it because it's my favourite show, i got a photo with them and they signed a poster and SOA comic book for me and now i hear Jordan Belfort, the Wolf of Wall Street guy is coming to australia and it's about $300 just to get a book signed by him and VIP seating or then $500 to have a drink with him, signed book and the best seating. Outrageous right? I guess he needs money.. still having to pay all that money back..

Anyways i doubt Pearl Jam will ever m&g. It actually would take a long time because the SOA event took at least 2 hours for everyone too meet them and i only waited half an hour.

and like so it would cost big bucks, like god knows how much PJ would wanna fork out for a m&g.

I wanted to go to their hotel when they were here earlier this year but i wouldn't be able to find it hahaha.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,531
    PJ_Soul said:

dr122931 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.

The '12 Missoula meet-and-great was about as laid-back as it could get. Rather than having the band members sitting at a table with fans lining up in some sort of awkward "Hey how are you? Please sign this!" parade, each of the guys felt comfortable to just walk and explore the room and share stories/jokes with fans. For the record, I think we paid for VIP tickets and the meet-and-greet was the bonus ;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    100 Pacer said:

PJ_Soul said:

dr122931 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ahr Mann said:

Some big names do.

The '12 Missoula meet-and-great was about as laid-back as it could get. Rather than having the band members sitting at a table with fans lining up in some sort of awkward "Hey how are you? Please sign this!" parade, each of the guys felt comfortable to just walk and explore the room and share stories/jokes with fans. For the record, I think we paid for VIP tickets and the meet-and-greet was the bonus ;)
    I suppose how that's how i must have seen that too, because I never thought of that as a paid meet and greet... Actually, i guess it's because that was a fundraiser. Didn't think of it until now, but I figure fundraisers don't really count. Meet and greets for profit are what weird me out.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on