best live version of black? for my first dance as a married man.

armyfanarmyfan Posts: 342
While I know this isn't a traditional first dance uplifting love song, we both don't care. It's our fave pj song and that's what we care about. Say hello 2 heaven was our second choice, another non obvious choice. That being said, we're looking for an amazing live version of black. I've been to close to 30 shows, and usually just listen to the bootlegs from my shows. So I don't really know what some of the legendary versions are. Please help a brother and sister out here? Make our first dance as partners for life as memorable as possible. Thanks!

Comments

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Simple. Black on PJ20 is from mtv unplugged. Sensational. Raw. Wait till the 2nd verse.... " I take a walk outside.... Some kids at playayayayay awhoohoo"
    Thats on a whole different level, I haven't heard him do that with his voice during that part since.

That's my vote.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Simple. Black on PJ20 is from mtv unplugged. Sensational. Raw. Wait till the 2nd verse.... " I take a walk outside.... Some kids at playayayayay awhoohoo"
    Thats on a whole different level, I haven't heard him do that with his voice during that part since.

That's my vote.

There's a plugged in version from Philly (I think) in 92 maybe? He sings the second verse the same way. Also on drop in the park, although he stops singing part of the first for some reason on that one.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/142396/black-my-top-20-versions/p2

Here you go. Happy watching! Congrats on your wedding. Black is the best song ever. Period.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/142396/black-my-top-20-versions/p2

Here you go. Happy watching! Congrats on your wedding. Black is the best song ever. Period.

I second this!

2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I miss igotid88
  • SF281234SF281234 Posts: 38
    mtv unplugged 1992
    05/20/10 New York, NY
    05/21/10 New York, NY
    07/19/13 Chicago, IL
    10/18/13 Brooklyn, NY
    10/19/13 Brooklyn, NY
    12/04/13 Vancouver, BC
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/22/14 Denver, CO
    05/01/16 New York, NY
    05/02/16 New York, NY
    08/05/16 Boston, MA
    08/18/18 Chicago, IL
    09/02/18 Boston, NY
  • mcgavinjmcgavinj Idaho Falls, ID, USA Posts: 311
    Except forget the meaning of the song while you dance...haha
    Congrats!
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    LO2L
  • Simple. Black on PJ20 is from mtv unplugged. Sensational. Raw. Wait till the 2nd verse.... " I take a walk outside.... Some kids at playayayayay awhoohoo"

That's my vote.

yeah that's my favorite....still a breakup song....50% of marriages fail.....starting a wedding with a breakup song is just asking for disaster.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    A live version of Black can/will be long - lol - I hope you are a better dancer than I - lol congrats!

MTV unplugged is an excellent choice as it is one of a kind - but consider a live version that isn't acoustic. Stone's colossal opening narrative, Mike's screaming guitar takes off after "can't it be mine" forcing you to close your eyes and just feel the emotion - Matt is superhuman especially when they jam, I also love when Matt slows it waaaay down during the jam - Jeff sucks you in with his bass line from the beginning right after the first "heeey oooh" - Eddie's voice and emotion to those lyrics, he is always extraordinary every time, no matter how many times they play it.

There is NO bad version of Black.

I always enjoy 92's Pinkpop and I suggest this one too because Eddie sings "We belong together". Live versions will give crowd noise too - not sure if you want that.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I would go studio. The live versions are too long and your guests will become very bored.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Like others have said, Unplugged... No question.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

That's my vote.

yeah that's my favorite....still a breakup song....50% of marriages fail.....starting a wedding with a breakup song is just asking for disaster.
    My parents' first dance song was Yesterday by The Beatles. They're still married after 44 years. It's just a song.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    If you want a great version, where Mike wails but they don't jam for a very long time: San Jose 95.
  • florence151florence151 Posts: 597

That's my vote.

Congrats! Say hello 2 Heaven is the better choice for a wedding. Married and happy for many years.

My favorite version of Black was sung at Memorial Stadium on July 21, 1998. One of my favorite shows.

Hold On
    BinFrog said:

If you want a great version, where Mike wails but they don't jam for a very long time: San Jose 95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6mBp4JEuHo
  • Clark KentClark Kent Posts: 159
    Black From Boston 2006 show 2. sick sound. FYI mtv's unplugged, Ed messes up one of the verses.
    Son of Jor-El
  • karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806

That's my vote.

Or it shows so much confidence that you say fuck it such superstition won't get us down. ;)
    That being said, it wouldn't be my pick either.

I wish you a good dance and that you may dance to it again at you 25th anniversary, and many times in between.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    edited March 2014
    I think it's a GREAT pick for a wedding first dance. It describes how miserable you both might've felt if it hadn't worked out.... but it did.... so congrats!
    Post edited by jmuscatello on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mcgruff10 said:

I would go studio. The live versions are too long and your guests will become very bored.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited March 2014
    just my opinion....Just Breathe and Future Days would be better choices.
    The End is the worst choice.
    Black certainly isn't about my wife.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    There are tons and tons, but my personal faves (from the versions that i have heard over the years; I am aware that there must be hundreds I have not heard) are: L2L version (breath taking solo!) and the Saratoga Springs 2000 version.

And yes, some live versions run upwards of 7 or 8 minutes in length, so be weary of your guests! ;) But as you said, it is your day and you don't care that it's not a "traditional" first song. Go for it!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    edited March 2014
    a little off-topic, but....
    After years of believing it (just because I wanted to) I've found on an old thread that other people also think the sometimes tag on Black, "we belong together" was from a 1981 Rickie Lee Jones song of that title (Pirates album). If you don't know it, check it out... it's supposedly about her relationship or breakup with Tom Waits. And that was our first song at my wedding. If you read the lyrics you'll see it wasn't a very conventional choice either. And we're still happily married.

Black is a beauty, with or without the tag - go for it.
    Post edited by jmuscatello on
  • EddieisNumber1EddieisNumber1 Brisbane, Australia Posts: 49
    Just like everybody says, the Unplugged version.
  • RozbrRozbr Posts: 376
    Unplugged or studio version
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    benny or London Hyde Park 10
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    BinFrog said:

BinFrog said:

That's 1994 actually, SJSU. Great show!

• armyfanarmyfan Posts: 342
    Thank you gang for all the input. Much appreciated! Will have to listen to all suggestions, and come up with the winner. But we got plenty of time.

BinFrog said:

BinFrog said:

That's 1994 actually, SJSU. Great show!

No, it's 11/4/95
  • simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Benny hall.... your welcome.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."