The Avett Brothers

Where do I start with this band? I'm seeing them in July at Red Rocks. What's a good album to start with?

Comments

• Lucky you. I would check out Live Volume 3 for a good live cd. It's what my first listen was. Then I listened to Emotionalism and "I and Love and You"
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

Lucky you. I would check out Live Volume 3 for a good live cd. It's what my first listen was. Then I listened to Emotionalism and "I and Love and You"

I think that's a good start. I'd listen to those then their 2nd to latest album "The Carpenter," which I think is spectacular. After, just go through the catalog in order!

You will NOT be disappointed. You will be sweaty immediately from dancing and jumping and your mouth will hurt from smiling so much. One of my favorite bands and one that absolutely is spectacular live!! Can't stress enough how amazing these guys are!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • I got into the Avett's about 6 years ago.....You will see a GREAT LIVE BAND @ Red Rocks! I've seen them in Mesa and Vegas....Seeing them again in August back in Vegas....can't fucking wait!!! I got everything they have put out and it never gets old on repeated listens.

As far as where to start ? My first listen was Emotionlism (2007) then I went back into their early releases and pretty much went in order forward...not necessary though. Every album has great songs on it! My personal favorites along with Emotionlism include Four Thieves Gone : The Robbinsville Sessions (2006), I and Love and You (2009), Mignonette (2004), and the EP The Second Gleam (2008)

Have fun in July!
  • Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll start checking out these recommendations today. Looking forward to July even more thanks to your tips!
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    I'm a fan, however I just can't seem to get into the last two albums. Emotionalism, four thieves gone, mignonette, I and love and you, and second gleam are all really good in my opinion.
    They're a great live band.
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 460
    Saw them tonight at Barclays. Great show !!

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Magpie is an awesome album. I'm just getting into them as well, and after watching some live performances,this was the first album that I listened to. Probably will go see them at Meadowbrook in May since it's right around the corner
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• dr122931 said:

I'm a fan, however I just can't seem to get into the last two albums. Emotionalism, four thieves gone, mignonette, I and love and you, and second gleam are all really good in my opinion.
    They're a great live band.

I think their most recent Album is fantastic. Its a nice blend from their old stuff and The Carpenter. Good direction for them.

No matter what their albums sound like, they are one of the best live acts around.
    here for the music...
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Anyone getting their NYE livestream?

https://nye.theavettbrothers.com/
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan said:

Yup- that's what we'll be doing. My wife loves the Avetts like I love Pearl Jam. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    BH76306 said:
    LukinFan said:

Yup- that's what we'll be doing. My wife loves the Avetts like I love Pearl Jam. 
    We're thinking about it too. The price tag originally turned me off from it, but it's still much cheaper than paying for a concert ticket. Plus, what else are we going to do?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Was thinking about these guys this morning. Saw them live a few times for free before they blew up with the I Love You record. Amazing group live. 9th Street Summerfest here in Columbia. Stage set up in the middle of 9th street and maybe like 50 people standing around while they tore through a bunch of stuff! Saw them at Missouri Theater on the I Love You tour, that was a packed house and one hell of a show.
    www.cluthelee.com