I find Dave Grohl is not a very talented singer/songwriter

Comments

• Not hating on Grohl but the Foo's just don't do anything for me at all ...

This sums it up for me. To ME...they are a bit like an American version of Nickelback...
    Good Point. And honestly guys this is good to you?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TwUX9M_yw

sounds like hes dying and the best of you is a very lame song. Hes pretty bad I really cant see the greatness guys.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Mike D88 said:
    Proof enough for me, that!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Not hating on Grohl but the Foo's just don't do anything for me at all ...

This sums it up for me. To ME...they are a bit like an American version of Nickelback...
    Good Point. And honestly guys this is good to you?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TwUX9M_yw

sounds like hes dying and the best of you is a very lame song. Hes pretty bad I really cant see the greatness guys.
    How are they ANYTHING like Nickelback? I think you would find that pretty much everybody who has posted a positive comment about the Foos and Dave in this thread, hates Nickelback.

I don't think Best Of You is lame either, did you watch the video of it from Wembley stadium that I posted? No song that elicits that kind of response from an audience is lame in my book. As for the acoustic version you posted, what can I say, some songs don't transfer to the acoustic setting as well as others. It's not terrible though, by any means.

• Dont agree sorry. Fans dont always have everything to do with it. Cant believe I watched this but for example. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxZNLWEFAg
    Some people just find enjoyment in catchy music that is not that great and slightly annoying more then anything. Even the way he talks before Wembley in that video you showed. He thinks hes so bad ass its ridiculous.
  • Dont agree sorry. Fans dont always have everything to do with it. Cant believe I watched this but for example. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxZNLWEFAg
    Some people just find enjoyment in catchy music that is not that great and slightly annoying more then anything. Even the way he talks before Wembley in that video you showed. He thinks hes so bad ass its ridiculous.

Gard...

I retract what I said earlier.

Dave Grohl might just be the epitome of a modern day rock star- sorry to burst your bubble, but you are way off base here. Dave's peer group think you are wrong too. Virtually every big time musician I can think of respects him. They'd know a little more about his authenticity than you dontcha think?

Foos music isn't necessarily the richest music out there, but it is far from junk such as Nickleback's. The same crap your are saying about the guy I have heard for other big time performers such as Vedder and Dave Matthews. It's all just useless chatter from people who have poorly formulated opinions.

This thread is goofy. You are wrong. And although you are entitled to your opinion... I think your persistence has crossed you over into the disrespectful category.

Haters be hatin' (that's all your doing). Have a nice day.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Once again was just seeing if anyone felt the same way. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Those are just the vibes I get from him. I guess I posted it in the wrong forum. I didn't realize so many Pearl Jam fans were Dave Grohl fans.

Have a good one everyone see you in the next thread.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Its OK to dislike music, or for someone's body language/etc to annoy you. I (kind of) feel that way about Bruce Springsteen, although I do realize and admit he deserves much respect and is an all-time great.

Grohl and the Foo Fighters is a dying breed (as is PJ, etc). I saw them live and it blew me away, in many ways like PJ did when I first saw them. Popular, good music really doesnt exist anymore, and when a rock band does rise up, they dont give the same vibe as any of these guys. It just feels like they go through the motions.
    MayDay10 said:

Its OK to dislike music, or for someone's body language/etc to annoy you. I (kind of) feel that way about Bruce Springsteen, although I do realize and admit he deserves much respect and is an all-time great.

Grohl and the Foo Fighters is a dying breed (as is PJ, etc). I saw them live and it blew me away, in many ways like PJ did when I first saw them. Popular, good music really doesnt exist anymore, and when a rock band does rise up, they dont give the same vibe as any of these guys. It just feels like they go through the motions.

Much agreed. Not to bash anyone else. But have you heard of Monstertruck everyone loves them but I can get myself into those guys either.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    GardLivingston89, if you I titled your thread "I don't see what the big deal about Dave Grohl is" or something like that you might have gotten more positive responses. A Everybody has different tastes in music and 99% of us (or more) have guilty pleasures. Among others, I like Pearl Jam and Jimi Hendrix and The Ramones and The Replacements and Mission of Burma and Rollins Band and Neil Diamond. Is that a problem? Very likely, someone here is a Nickleback fan (not me but no big deal) and why not? Why does Nicklemback get slammed here so much? Friends of Elliott Smith went up to him after he got paired up with Celine Dion at the 1998 Oscars to empathize with him about how lame they think Dion is and he got pissed and told them he actually liked her quite a bit. Lets not be so condescending about music we personally don't care for.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I was never a die-hard Nirvana or FF fan (but am a casual fan of both), but I love his personality and the fact that he is a true fan of music who just has fun and appreciates his life. Back & Forth is probably my favorite music documentary.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale

Having followed their ascent here in the UK, and been to many of those shows he rattled off, I totally get where he was coming from in that video - he was performing the biggest show of his life, and had just minutes before performed two Led Zeppelin songs with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, idols of his. It was the culmination of 15 odd years of hard work, of course he was overwhelmed, I don't think he was trying to come across as a "bad-ass".

• Sounds like the OP is jealous of the great Dave Grohl...
  • onejourney...onejourney... Posts: 248
    edited January 2014

Dont agree sorry. Fans dont always have everything to do with it. Cant believe I watched this but for example. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxZNLWEFAg

Wow, hate to change the subject...but here I go. Forget how terrible that song is, but when I watched that, I saw ZERO emotion, and felt ZERO connection to that performance. Go watch ANY performance for Pearl Jam's 2013 tour and you will see the complete opposite.

I know that is like comparing apple sauce to an Air Craft Carrier...but you get my point. We are lucky to be Pearl Jam fans...
    here for the music...
  • Best Of Me Wembley is incredible. So is Dave. Love what he did as a promotion to the last cd. House parties!
    What I find annoying is the OP's choice of words for the thread title
    It comes off like he/she ACTUALLY knows...when really it just instigates dislike towards the OP for being so blatantly off base...although maybe the OP is a better drummer guitar player than Dave....ha ha
    Maybe he is a child/teen and doesn't know better about what music really means to people
    I love lots of artists that are half as good as Dave.
  • Ya my age has alot to do with it my brother feels the same way and my music selection is a hell of alot better then the foo fighters thats a joke
  • rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    PJ is a band full of great musicians and they all write great stuff. They are passionate and play with energy every night. Dave Grohl is no different. AND he plays like 7 different instruments.
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    no........he doesn't
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • I was never a die-hard Nirvana or FF fan (but am a casual fan of both), but I love his personality and the fact that he is a true fan of music who just has fun and appreciates his life. Back & Forth is probably my favorite music documentary.

Totally agreed on the love for "Back and Forth"...that is a phenomenal music documentary.
  • rangers72rangers72 lockerbie.uk Posts: 141
    there first 2 albums are still there best work for me,still a good band live.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Grohl was great on the Stern birthday bash
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • We need more people like Grohl in music. He has the presence and persona to get younger people into good music. Something that Eddie, although PJ is my favorite band, does not really do on a mainstream basis. Love him or hate him, he's great for music.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • I think the Foo Fighters suck. What Dave has brought to his other projects and other bands is fantastic. Them Crooked Vultures, fantastic....his drumming in Nirvana, fantastic......with QOTSA, fantastic. Dave tries a little to hard to be cool in my book.
  • We need more people like Grohl in music. He has the presence and persona to get younger people into good music. Something that Eddie, although PJ is my favorite band, does not really do on a mainstream basis. Love him or hate him, he's great for music.

Totally agree. Particularly here in the UK, it seems that each time the Foos come back with a new album they get that bit bigger - which is pretty remarkable for a band who have been going as long as they have.

• I think the Foo Fighters suck. What Dave has brought to his other projects and other bands is fantastic. Them Crooked Vultures, fantastic....his drumming in Nirvana, fantastic......with QOTSA, fantastic. Dave tries a little to hard to be cool in my book.

I don't think he's trying too hard to be cool. I think he is cool. I think his contemporaries feel the same way- if he was a phony... he'd be exposed by now. The only person I've ever heard say anything bad about the guy- outside of everyday people like you and me- is Courtney Love... not exactly the voice of reason.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Michael ScarnMichael Scarn Northampton, UK Posts: 32
    I love him. My respect for/of him triplified when I read this " I'll never forget the first time I sat around a back lounge of a bus watching people do cocaine. Nobody took their eyes off the tray of coke. Urgh. They were vultures. It just seemed dark and fucked-up to me. I know that the day I get my face in a pile of cocaine is the day that it all goes straight fucking downhill."
    Twitter
    [London, 02 Arena 18.8.2009]
    [London, Hyde Park 25.6.2010]
    [Manchester, MEN 21.6.2012]
    [Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome 16.6.2014]
    [Milton Keynes, MK Bowl 11.7.2014]
  • I love him. My respect for/of him triplified when I read this " I'll never forget the first time I sat around a back lounge of a bus watching people do cocaine. Nobody took their eyes off the tray of coke. Urgh. They were vultures. It just seemed dark and fucked-up to me. I know that the day I get my face in a pile of cocaine is the day that it all goes straight fucking downhill."

lol so you have respect for him because he doesnt do cocaine?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    edited February 2014
    don't knock it 'till you've tried it! :))
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited February 2014
    The thread title insinuates that he sucks not snorts! =))
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Michael ScarnMichael Scarn Northampton, UK Posts: 32

I love him. My respect for/of him triplified when I read this " I'll never forget the first time I sat around a back lounge of a bus watching people do cocaine. Nobody took their eyes off the tray of coke. Urgh. They were vultures. It just seemed dark and fucked-up to me. I know that the day I get my face in a pile of cocaine is the day that it all goes straight fucking downhill."

lol so you have respect for him because he doesnt do cocaine?

I've just realised that's how it read lol

Nah I just remember reading that & wishing my ex had the same sort of will power.

Anyway I'm gonna derail the thread does anyone wanna take over & hate on Dave?
    Twitter
    [London, 02 Arena 18.8.2009]
    [London, Hyde Park 25.6.2010]
    [Manchester, MEN 21.6.2012]
    [Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome 16.6.2014]
    [Milton Keynes, MK Bowl 11.7.2014]
This discussion has been closed.