Options

how do you define a good set list?

cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 233
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Just curious how others determine if they like a set list for a particular show? My problem is that every time I look at a set list, I think it looks good. In an effort to be somewhat objective, I made a list of songs I have wanted to hear in person but so far haven't before this tour started.

After hitting a few shows in the last couple of months, I knocked Leash, Satan's Bed, and Lowlight off the list. Now I am down to about 10 - Oceans, Breath, Rats, Mankind, Red Mosquito, Fatal, Hunger Strike, Who You Are, Love Boat Captain, and I Am Mine. With the exception of a couple, most are pretty rare.

When I look at set lists now, I think any show in which they play one of these to be great and any show with more than one is stellar.

How do you determine if a set list is to your liking - rare songs, highlighting songs from a previous album, change in tempo throughout the set, etc.?
98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    for me it's more the energy and the flow of a show, not so much the rarities they might or might not play. i don't like a show that has the build up and then is let down by a song such as last kiss...or even something that just doesn't fit the moment. But that's just me.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    rareities and for whatever reason when they bust out the covers, obvious things like three hour marathon shows are by default but mostly just cool unique songs and maybe differnt placement of songs like if they just opened with Blood or even Even Flow (tee hee even even) at least for me, really want to hear undone
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    If I hear a SIFL tag and at least 25 songs I'm in heaven. The last thing I'm going to do is complain about the which 25 songs. Most times it is more about the crowd and the energy, that is what makes a good show, just listen to Ed he tells you when you are there on those nights.
    "I turned my back,... now there's no turning back"

"Love is a tower
    Of strength to me
    I am the shoreline
    But you're the sea"
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,107
    since i'm not picky, any pearl jam concert with me in the building is a good setlist.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    cbbjr wrote:
    Just curious how others determine if they like a set list for a particular show? My problem is that every time I look at a set list, I think it looks good. In an effort to be somewhat objective, I made a list of songs I have wanted to hear in person but so far haven't before this tour started.

After hitting a few shows in the last couple of months, I knocked Leash, Satan's Bed, and Lowlight off the list. Now I am down to about 10 - Oceans, Breath, Rats, Mankind, Red Mosquito, Fatal, Hunger Strike, Who You Are, Love Boat Captain, and I Am Mine. With the exception of a couple, most are pretty rare.

When I look at set lists now, I think any show in which they play one of these to be great and any show with more than one is stellar.

How do you determine if a set list is to your liking - rare songs, highlighting songs from a previous album, change in tempo throughout the set, etc.?

a good setlist must have corduroy

best song ever
  • Options
    pedalbrakepedalbrake Posts: 16
    a good setlist must have corduroy

By that standard, every setlist is a good setlist. That's like saying a good setlist must have Even Flow!
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 233
    pedalbrake wrote:
    By that standard, every setlist is a good setlist. That's like saying a good setlist must have Even Flow!

Good point - that is exactly the problem. Corduroy is also my favorite song. Every time I look at a set list I think "that is fucking fantastic". I am just curious to see if others have the same problem or if you have a system for determining if it is a set list you like.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    There are a couple of "set lists" that I would rule as the ultimate. One was Cleveland this year. When Even Flow and Corduroy both don't show up. Hey it is a super night. I would also like to see a concert where it is all the slower, darker, lovehate songs. Nice mellow mood for the evening. Not sitting down unplugged but plugged in and soft. Then, of course there is hearing all the stuff I want to hear in one shot. Of The Girl comes to mind. As I haven't heard this one live (not on a boot ;)) and I don't hear Immortality, or Parting Ways enough. At least from the three mentioned songs, you may get the drift of the mellow night I would love to hear. Maybe next time in Toronto?????
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    For me it´s truly simple...If I like it, it´s good...If I don´t like, it is not good.
  • Options
    seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    I think it's "whatever the band wants to play!!!"
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    I don't really base my concert experience on the set-list, well a part of it is I guess but not too much...it more has to do with the crowd/band vibe...for example for me experiencing the vibe in Vancouver and Calgary in '05 made those concerts special to me....
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    See LA2 setlist for reference. IMO by far the best setlist!
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Just like everyone, there are those few favorites that I want to hear. I guess it all comes from my excitement and anticipation before a Pearl Jam show. However, I'm not disappointed if my favorites aren't mentioned in the least. Instead, I surrender and blindly follow Pearl Jam and the unfolding setlist.
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    See LA2 setlist for reference. IMO by far the best setlist!
    I'd have to agree with you! I've been to my share of PJ shows and LA 2 has got to be the best setlist yet!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    I'd have to agree with you! I've been to my share of PJ shows and LA 2 has got to be the best setlist yet!

I don't know what it was. I mean, they did not sing a single song from Riot Act or Binaural, but the show was like a rocket. It just went up and up and up. Encore 1 with the slower sit down songs was nice with Man of the Hour, Off He Goes, and Footsteps, but soon as Once and Alive hit, back on the rocket!!! My favorite setlist so far, 3 more to go!!
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    show length. number of rarities. whether or not ed did a pre-set. slow opener (release, oceans, wash, long road...). ledbetter closing. ed not encouraging 15 singalongs. lastly, how much does the set deviate from last night's set. that's about it.
  • Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    For me any setlist without the song Last Kiss is a bonus. Sorry everyone but I HATE that song. With that said, I do look for rare tunes that I love to hear live like Leatherman. A good flow to the setlist is also important and of course I am always looking for my favorite tunes.
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 702
    must have smile
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    If it's live..I love it. Of course, hearing rare songs is a bonus.
    There isn't a song that i dislike. I don't hink I've ever seen a set list that i don't like.
    If I am in the same room w/them & they're playing. It's a great Friggin night. (even if they aren't playing ;))
    If you are in the room & I'm not...I'm jealous. Even if they sang the alphabet forwards & backwards all night long!

Their shows are always amazing. period.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.