Has anyone here read Ishmael?

wvueers1wvueers1 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 61
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
????

Great book.
Fan since the beginning, but 1st PJ concert ever -- Phoenix, AZ 11-19-13

Love boat captain
Take the reigns,.. steer us towards the clear.

M.Y.T.H. is
Belief in the game controls that keeps us in a box of fear

tumblr_mtr7i1ZXuo1r0d33so1_400.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I read it once, a long, long time ago.

You ever see the movie? If so, what'd you think of it?

Speaking of things read, did you read whatever Jeff was reading around that same time? I been trying to remember wtf it was called. All I can remember is it was Russian, or the author was Russian. And there was a talking cat. A black talking cat.
    11/24/13 - LA, Night 2
    11/23/13 - LA, Night 1
    11/21/13 - San Diego
    10/30/00 - Sacramento
  • The Master and Margarita - Bulgakov
    that's the moss from the aforementioned verse...
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    I've read both of them. I liked Ishmael more, but The Master and Margarita is an interesting book too. I need to revisit those two soon. I'm desperately searching for Tahar Ben Jelloun's Moha Le Fou, Moha Le Sage in English or Greek, but until today rien.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Yeah, I really liked it, but it was a long time ago.. Don't remember all of it.

(There's a movie?)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    I read both too. I LOVE The Master and Margarita. Ishmael was great too, but I was more impressed with MM. Good stuff!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    read it years ago. might need to dust it off and re-read it sometime soon.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Yeah, I really liked it, but it was a long time ago.. Don't remember all of it.

(There's a movie?)

Yeah, it had Cuba Gooding Jr. and Anthony Hopkins in it.

IMDB tells me it wasn't called Ishmael but rather Instinct. I remember it seemed to have the same concepts of the book but the plot was wildly different because, well, the plot in the book would be hard or impossible to execute in a movie. If I remember the book right, wasn't it just a lot of sitting around and basically staring at a gorilla? If you were to look at what was happening externally, anyway. So to show the same internal movement in an external way - there's the challenge.
    11/24/13 - LA, Night 2
    11/23/13 - LA, Night 1
    11/21/13 - San Diego
    10/30/00 - Sacramento
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    Need to reread it again. First time went way over my head.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • wvueers1wvueers1 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 61
    I read it once, a long, long time ago.

Speaking of things read, did you read whatever Jeff was reading around that same time? I been trying to remember wtf it was called. All I can remember is it was Russian, or the author was Russian. And there was a talking cat. A black talking cat.

Are you referring to the movie Instinct that was mentioned? Because I couldn't find an Ishmael movie on imdb.

Love boat captain

M.Y.T.H. is

• wvueers1wvueers1 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 61
    I read both too. I LOVE The Master and Margarita. Ishmael was great too, but I was more impressed with MM. Good stuff!

Thanks. I will check out MM. But right now I starting Dan Quinn's The Story of B. The book he wrote after Ishmael.

Love boat captain

M.Y.T.H. is

• wvueers1 wrote:
    I read it once, a long, long time ago.

Are you referring to the movie Instinct that was mentioned? Because I couldn't find an Ishmael movie on imdb.

That's the one. I didn't realize until a bit later that the movie wasn't actually called Ishmael.
    11/24/13 - LA, Night 2
    11/23/13 - LA, Night 1
    11/21/13 - San Diego
    10/30/00 - Sacramento
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Yes, was decent,

you have to like gorillas though