Options

Lame Seattle crowd yet again

Comments

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    do you ever consider that when people come from out of town they may have jet lag with the time difference may make them tame.
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    foodboy wrote:
    do you ever consider that when people come from out of town they may have jet lag with the time difference may make them tame.

lol, umm ok.
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    bottom line, Ed has said it time and again and last night he not only eluded to this fact, but he actually came right out and said it. "i hate to be that singer that says 'come on guys' but..." I doubt he said that at any other show this tour.
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    SZ303389 wrote:
    bottom line, Ed has said it time and again and last night he not only eluded to this fact, but he actually came right out and said it. "i hate to be that singer that says 'come on guys' but..." I doubt he said that at any other show this tour.
    That IS lame. :?
    He did have to encourage the Vancouver fans to cheer louder for Mudhoney when he thanked them, but that's a totally different issue. :lol: There were no probs at all when it came to cheering for PJ, i am happy to say. He talked about how much they appreciated our enthusiasm a bunch of times and they obviously meant it. Thank goodness, because i always worry about what a Vancouver crowd is going to be like.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i personally don't like the vanilla much but i understand the bands need to do it. every time there is so much hype like oooo its seattle , last night of tour ,gonna be real different show just doesn't materialize. next tour i would love to see is play the albums in their entirety. before ed's voice goes even more. albums , b sides and rarities. that would be a tour for the ages. but won't happen.
  • Options
    I thought the crowd was pretty good :?
  • Options
    No lame crowd issue in my section. I think it's a self fulfilling prophecy issue. And let's not forget that a "Seattle" crowd is usually 50% out-of-towners.
    letitgo.jpg

Let it go Indy - if Eddie tells the crowd they're lame. There's a pretty decent chance that they're lame.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    sparky_fry wrote:
    I thought the crowd was pretty good :?
    That's great, but one does have to admit that things are a little off if Eddie actually has to apologetically ask the crowd to be more into it so that the band has something to feed off of... No way to argue against that, really.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Surprising to me that people always say the Settles crowds are kinda lame. Especially when their sports fans are so rowdy. Seahawks and Sounders fans are crazy at their games.

That is true of the sports fans. I am of the opinion that some people of Seattle think they are above the band, and think about embracing lame fucking bands like fleet foxes more. They try to act like they know it all before you, when they are really 1 year behind everything in the north east aka New York. Just a pretentious wanna be liberal city of the arts. Such a wanna be place. Way over hyped.

A completely ridiculous thing to say. I don't live in Seattle, but I do travel there frequently. It is a great city. To deny that means you are obviously envious. If 'New York' was really that 'hip'... maybe Eddie and the gang would have established their roots there to stay abreast of the times.

With that said, I was at one show in 2009 and the crowd blew: there were streams of people leaving the place before and during the encore. At the Vancouver show a few nights later, after praising Vancouver, Eddie called Seattle a 'shit crowd'.

In 2011, the Vancouver show had a ton of Seattle people at it given there was no Seattle show to attend. This show was signified as an atypical crowd for its lack of enthusiasm.

This year in Vancouver, Eddie slighted the Seattle crowd again- but not quite as blatantly as in 09. And, during the Seattle show, he had to prompt everyone to liven up. All this adds up to the obvious: Seattle should be a little more enthusiastic. Of course this doesn't apply to every Seattle fan, but it can be safely asserted in the general fashion.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Crowd was better in Portland & Spokane, but Seattle was still a blast.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Phoenix is usually a lame crowd, but this last show they really were excited to see the band. Maybe it was the fact they hadn't been here in ten years but the crowd was really great this time around.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I was at Portland and Seattle this tour... as well as the seattle 09 shows. This crowd was better than all 4 of those shows.

I thought the crowd was fine and I KNEW as soon as Ed said that we'd have a thread like this. I was behind the stage last night and had a really good vantage point of the arena and I think what a lot of people are misconstruing as silence was actually people being moved by the music. Big difference.

I totally disagree about Portland. That was the loudest crowd, easily, of the four shows I went to, followed by Spokane, Seattle and then about 400 notches below, Oakland. In fairness, Oakland WAS the drunkest crowd I've ever seen at a concert, ever. Which is amazing because beer was $13.50! I just don't know how you can be so hammered and quiet at the same time.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Pearl Jam please come play my living room. I couldn't make any shows this year due to personal obligations. I haven't missed a tour since No Code. I promise to have the best per capita crowd of any other in the world. I can pay you with fine wine from Trader Joes.
  • Options
    Which crowd was more subdued LA2 or Seattle? I was at LA2 and thought the crowd was decent yet people were commenting on them being less exited than LA2

Sounds like Seattle was ironically the least exited
  • Options
    If they played better songs rather than the vanilla bullshit people would have been more rowdy ! #fact
    At LA1 it was mostly a hits show yet the crowd was fantastic

I would say the Seattle show was probably just filled with lame people. It happens here in LA quite a bit, thankfully not with PJ this go around
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Which crowd was more subdued LA2 or Seattle? I was at LA2 and thought the crowd was decent yet people were commenting on them being less exited than LA2

Sounds like Seattle was ironically the least exited

Tough one. Of the six shows I went to those two were definitely the most subdued. I guess I'd have to say Seattle was because all things being equal, Seattle was on a Friday and LA2 was on a Sunday, and followed a balls to the wall LA1 show.
  • Options
    P J PP J P Posts: 22
    This.
    Yes Way wrote:
    I thought the crowd was fine and I KNEW as soon as Ed said that we'd have a thread like this.

I was in the middle of GA surrounded by a whole lot of people who had spent hours waiting in sub-freezing temps and they still rocked out. As for the generalizations about Seattle fans being lame and aloof: bullshit. No different than any other city. Almost everyone I met at the show was from out of town, not sure if that was typical of GA or the whole crowd, but whatever. My daughter and I had fun, sang and danced, met a lot of friendly people from all over the world (Italy, Japan, Brazil, and Mexico just in my little pocket of the floor), and we all had a blast.

We got to see a great band play a great show in our hometown and that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    Sounds like yall are just jealous of last nights epic, home town, tour ending show. Complete with Eddie swingling wildly from stage lights while singing to an adoring crowd, the best set list so far (including Let me Sleep, Unthought known, classic Mother Love Bone, Corduroy, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Eruption), a Kim Thayil appearance, and a lengthy show ending after midnight. Not to mention the communal benefit of the anniversary of legalization.

Yup, was a good day to be a Seattleite.

Thanks for the Amazing show PJ!
    My 2013 Tour:
    London, ON 7.16.13
    Portland 11.29.13
    Spokane 11.30.13
    Vancouver 12.4.13
    Seattle 12.6.13
  • Options
    Oh, and with little search effort, a quick view of the "dead, lack-luster crowd"
    http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/25/16/66/5565830/0/960x540.jpg

Note their dead expressions, lack of movement, and flags they display representing the many neighborhoods of Seattle area.
    My 2013 Tour:
    London, ON 7.16.13
    Portland 11.29.13
    Spokane 11.30.13
    Vancouver 12.4.13
    Seattle 12.6.13
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    P J P wrote:
    This.
    Yes Way wrote:
    I thought the crowd was fine and I KNEW as soon as Ed said that we'd have a thread like this.

I was in the middle of GA surrounded by a whole lot of people who had spent hours waiting in sub-freezing temps and they still rocked out. As for the generalizations about Seattle fans being lame and aloof: bullshit. No different than any other city. Almost everyone I met at the show was from out of town, not sure if that was typical of GA or the whole crowd, but whatever. My daughter and I had fun, sang and danced, met a lot of friendly people from all over the world (Italy, Japan, Brazil, and Mexico just in my little pocket of the floor), and we all had a blast.

We got to see a great band play a great show in our hometown and that's good enough for me.

Yup. I don't need a good crowd to ROCK OUT myself. I dragged my section along with me ;)

P.S. Behind stage is pretty cool. I was higher up than I'd prefer, but the perspective was cool and the sound was great. Plus I got to watch stuff on the screens in reverse.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    akgrown46 wrote:
    Oh, and with little search effort, a quick view of the "dead, lack-luster crowd"
    http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/25/16/66/5565830/0/960x540.jpg

Note their dead expressions, lack of movement, and flags they display representing the many neighborhoods of Seattle area.

that was after eddie said goodnight, they were happy the show was over so they could go home and be more lame :lol:
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I thought the show was solid.

I only went to the last two of the tour. Vancouver/Seattle. I went from having the best seats in Vancouver (a few rows in on the floor) to the worst seats in seattle (second level behind the stage).

Breath/Let Me Sleep made the setlist for me. For the rest I liked the song selection in Vancouver better. They seem to play some of my favorite songs on the albums they covered. Jeremy (which is the song that got me into PJ), Why Go, Oceans, In Hiding, etc...

I think Vancouver was better but I'm very biased due to being in the GA pit. Being amongst the diehards always creates a different experience.

The seattle crowd didn't seem horrible to me. Way better than 09. Not as good as Vancouver but not bad.
  • Options
    and eddie was right in BC, "we have one more of these, in seattle, and i don't think they will bring it quite like this." true enough
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    I was in the 200's and the crowd was great. Maybe the floor needs to step their game up. Seriously the crowd was great for most of the songs. Didn't they all Small town off setlist? Wonder why??? During the one part where Eddie said that was definitely a lull, but the crowd rocked the entire rest of the show. Ever think the Key Arena just sucks for sound? In every aspect?
  • Options
    The only thing that I was upset about last night was that Jay Z and Robinson Cano didn't come out during the encore.
  • Options
    jonboy66 wrote:
    The only thing that I was upset about last night was that Jay Z and Robinson Cano didn't come out during the encore.

Thats a lonely boat !
  • Options
    jonboy66 wrote:

Thats a lonely boat !

The loneliest. It's just me and all of my unfulfilled dreams.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    vaggar99 wrote:
    Pearl Jam please come play my living room. I couldn't make any shows this year due to personal obligations. I haven't missed a tour since No Code. I promise to have the best per capita crowd of any other in the world. I can pay you with fine wine from Trader Joes.

:lol::lol:

Just so you know in advance, Jeff insists on the chocolate covered, peanut butter filled pretzels.
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    I thought the show was good. I enjoyed the Portland show more, but the Seattle show still rocked.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Sorry, I'd rather be at a supposedly "lame" show in Seattle than at supposedly "awesome" shows in Portland or Vancouver BC any day. Not gonna let some angry dude change the fact that I had a great time and at a great show. I had a great time and met cool people from all over including New York, Kentucky, Florida, Louisiana, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and England.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18