Options

*** Calgary, AB Fanviews Here 12/02/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
edited February 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Scotiabank Saddledome
Calgary, AB
Dec 02, 2013
Set List

Opening Band Mudhoney

Walk On Music: Pendulumorphosis
01. Of The Girl
02. Hard To Imagine
03. Nothingman
04. LIghtning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
05. Corduroy
06. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Animal
(Ed knows how difficult it was for the band and crew to get to Calgary for the show and thought that only 2500 or 3000 people would show up tonight so he toasts the hardy Calgary people for braving the blizzard and coming to the show. He also notes that one of the great bands ever, Mudhoney, travelled for 13 hours to come play for 30 minutes so he toasts them as well.)

08. Red Mosquito

(some in crowd chant for Stone. Ed warns them that it will only make Mike play harder which is a frightening prospect. The crowd then chants for Mike. Ed asks a guy up front what his name is. He then starts chanting Scott.
Ed mentions that a couple of close friends moved to Calgary earlier in the year, just in time for the floods. Ed salutes all the folks that had to get moved to higher ground and those that had to clean up. He notes how great the Saddledome looks after the repairs.
This song is about getting to higher ground)

09. I Am Mine
10. Wishlist
11. Even Flow
12. Sirens w/ sing along outro-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
13. Given To Fly
14. Infallible-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
15. Do The Evolution
(Ed talks about how important Neil Young was to helping the band through good times and bad times. This next song was written with him.)
16. I Got ID {Ed sings two lines of “Cinnamon Girl”-(Young)}
(Here is to rat free Alberta)
17. Rats
18. State Of Love And Trust
(Ed throws his mic down into the audience and some guy sings the oh oh part)
19. Lukin
20. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
(while Mike is on laying on the floor soloing Ed comes over and lays back down on top of him. When Ed climbs off Mike grabs his leg)

Encore Break 1

(Ed tells a story about going to the doctor and being asked how much he drinks. He thinks initially that he only has a glass of wine or two every once in awhile. Then he thought well he has a couple of glasses of wine a day and some beer and then when he is working...
This next song is by a man I was lucky enough to share a few of bottles of wine with a few years ago. His name was Lou Reed)

21. After Hours-(Reed)
22. Sleight Of Hand

(This next song if for my friends Pete and Jen Lightbody. You wouldn’t necessarily know by listening to it but this song is about a couple whose children have grown up and moved out and them getting to spend time together alone.)

23. Future Days
24. Daughter (Ed sings “hush now baby don’t your cry” twice. Possible reference to “Mother” by Pink Floyd. It doesn’t follow the melody)
25. Last Exit

(Ed has the house lights turned up so they can point out a young boy named Jaxon that has a video of him playing drums to “Mind Your Manners”. Ed say that in twenty years they will come back and play the same place and open for Jaxon’s band)

26. Go
27. Porch

Encore Break 2

(Ed toasts all the snow plow drivers and road salters in Calgary that allowed people to come to the show tonight. He laments the puny snowplow armada of Seattle (two).
He then sings a little bit of “Mr. Plow” from “The Simpsons”)

28. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (played to audience behind the stage)
29. Crazy Mary-(Williams)
30. Alive
31. Fuckin’ Up-(Young)
32. Indifference

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    lovely lovely main set!!!

safe travels to everyone!!!!

thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Mr. Plow shout out? :lol:
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    This is my favorite set list of the tour.

Of The Girl
    Hard To Imagine
    Red Mosquito
    I got Id
    Sleight of Hand
    Last Exit
    Fuckin Up
    Indifference
    Crazy Mary

Would love to hear half of these in Seattle.

That's what you get for braving a blizzard.
    I got id
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Wow! Crowd showed up and it was a great show. Didn't' have GA, but stood at the rail that separated the reserved floor seats from GA. Great place to watch a show, never thought I'd watch from the rail :lol:
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    Was it a full house at the Dome tonight? How was the crowd for a Monday?
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    This show was unbelievably great in the energy department. The crowd brought it and the band brought it. The set list speaks for itself...

Be safe everyone. That is a memory worth life gaurding...
  • Options
    Absolutely incredible show! There was a surprisingly large turnout given the meteorological phenomenon they call a blizzard in these parts. The band rewarded us well for turning out.

This may well have moved itself into the running for my favorite show ever.

Thanks Robb and Anna for sharing time with us as well!

Incredible band, incredible fans...
  • Options
    I can't even say this is a complaint, but if I had one they should have closed the entire show with Better Man. Wow what a just remarkable extended jam on it, some terrific playing from everyone. Nice to see Animal and Red Mosquito, and this is I believe the third time in a row they've played Rats in Calgary. Its nice not having them in Alberta unless Pearl Jam is playing it. Terrific crowd energy, loud all night and pretty much full despite the conditions. Can't wait for Friday.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    They are on fire this tour! Glad you guys had fun!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    Exhausted, need to sleep.....but I have to say, Eddie needs to stop drinking so much. When he's actually licking wine up off the stage, it's not funny anymore.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    prljamgirl wrote:
    Exhausted, need to sleep.....but I have to say, Eddie needs to stop drinking so much. When he's actually licking wine up off the stage, it's not funny anymore.
    I thought that was pretty funny.
    I loved this show. possibly my fav of the tour so far.
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    7th show, first time seeing them in Calgary. Great set list, lots of ebb and flow so to speak that worked really well. The crowd in the GA pit were fantastic. I was a few rows back on mikes side. The band is on fire for sure right now and they look like they're all having a really good time just playing. Well worth the four hour plane delay
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    Of The Girl>Hard To Imagine>Nothingman

Red Mosquito>I Am Mine>Wishlist

PERFECT :D
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Little Red Mosquito!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    Of The Girl>Hard To Imagine>Nothingman

Red Mosquito>I Am Mine>Wishlist

PERFECT :D

Agreed. Wish I was able to follow them from Spokane. Another killer set! Red Mosquito? WTFBBQPWNAGE.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Yeah perfect!!!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    Only 3000 people were able to go? So was the place empty? Incredible set list!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    MR. PLOW !!!!!

call mr. plow
    that's the name
    that name again is mr. plow
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Well, no Crazy Mary for Vancouver. Damn, I was hoping to finally see that. Oh well, maybe still hope for Insignificance or Nothing As It Seems for my birthday show on Wednesday.

Damn fine setlist for Calgary. Kudos to you guys for everyone who got to the show. Will be Sunny in Vancouver, so no blizzard here.
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Sea wrote:
    He then sings a little bit of “Mr. Plow” from “The Simpsons”)

:lol:

How long until we start seeing song requests for Mr. Plow and seeing threads "The Official I've Heard Mr. Plow Thread".

Looked like an incredible set list. Can't wait for Seattle!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

It was over 90% capacity.

Sucked to see the empty 10C seats around us due to the weather.
  • Options
    jtr101jtr101 Posts: 260
    6th show for me and it's the second time I've gotten of the girl as an opener :-)

Great show from section 109, so many gems and it had a great flow especially in the main set. The sound was great where we were even though we had been warned that the saddledome wasn't built well for sound. Energy was great as well and no drunk dudes around me which is always a plus.

Highlight. For me was sleight of hand... It's kind of been my go to song the last little while, was awesome to hear it live for the first time.

Onward and upward to vancouver and Seattle!
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    mcgruff10 wrote:

It was over 90% capacity.

Sucked to see the empty 10C seats around us due to the weather.

wow that's awesome so many people showed up.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Love the snow shows....
  • Options
    Really for as bad as things looked, the conditions within the city of Calgary weren't that terrible. Just needed some extra time to commute but the roads weren't awful. Really the only people who probably didn't make it were those who were coming from other places in the province (Edmonton, Lethbridge etc..) Can't say the same this morning, things are much worse today. Hopefully the band and the trucks have no issues getting to Vancouver.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt
    blew the doors off the place;
    absolutely the highlight of the show for me.

Sleight of Hand gets the silver medal;
    I haven't heard that live since '05!

Red Mosquito-
    that is all.

My stepson is officially a convert;
    in his words: I walked in an Eddie Vedder fan,
    + I am now a Pearl Jam fan.

After Animal + Go, he is psyched to check out the Vs. album.

Love to all that made it,
    prayers + sympathy to all that didn't.
    Here's hoping that whatever happened,
    at least we're all safe n' sound.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    I agree with prljamgirl I saw the Oakland show and he was hammered. Just saying. I can imagine that it is stressful to preform and he can still rock out while hammered. We just want him to be healthy and around for a very long time ;)
  • Options
    jck747jck747 Posts: 30
    A little off topic, but I thought Lou Reed had been sober for like 30 years, guess not...
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    edited December 2013
    Yeah I agree Eddie needs to slow down on his drinking. He's been really drunk the last few times I've seen him, starting with Virgin Fest where he was absolutely shit-faced. Getting tired of it. Love the man as much as the next fan, but it's gotten out of hand.

Other than that I had possibly the best seats I've ever gotten. We were just 4 rows up on mike's side and I was in seat 1; right on the aisle. I was exactly 2 seats in front of the little drummer kid Eddie pointed out in the crowd who was one of Matt's special guests. I had an unobstructed view of the stage. Only obstruction I had was when Mike was standing at or near his mic there was a camera in the way. But when he came down and stood on the little corner riser at the front of the stage, he was like right there. I've been as close as 4th row centre, but I really liked these seats even more. A little higher up and no one next to me, or in front of me.

Finally got to hear Of the Girl, I Got ID, Hard to Imagine and Indifference.

Mike's guitar work on Even Flow was astounding. Crazy Mary was a highlight, as well.

First time they didn't end one of my shows with Yellow. Ledbetter, lol. But the streak continues with Given to Fly and Even Flow!

Oh and Matt is a F'n machine!
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Nice set!

20. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
    (while Mike is on laying on the floor soloing Ed comes over and lays back down on top of him. When Ed climbs off Mike grabs his leg)

This had me :lol::lol:

I'm happy for everyone who could make it safe to the show and back home!