Options

*** Calgary, AB Fanviews Here 12/02/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    Hello
    I'm the lucky guy who got the mic from Eddie at the end of state of love and trust.
    (I sound better in the shower)
    Just wanted to say thanks to all the Ten club members in the line up.
    Thanks to the guy who brought the hand warmer packets while we were freezing our asses off.
    Thanks to those who brought food and drinks.
    And a big thank you to the lady with the number 1 on her hand at the front of the line.
    My wife and I had a incredible experience and it was partly do to you and your friends keeping things organized. Thanks for getting us on the rail!
    Great show, great group of people.
    THANKS Eddie, Stone,Mike,Jeff,Matt and Boom. Perfect Night.

Best regards, James
  • Options
    Wookiee_BlaylockWookiee_Blaylock Posts: 202
    edited December 2013
    Great show!

It was my 14th, and one of the best. I treated a friend who hadn't seen them since a show in Seattle, in December of '93. (First side note of many: I feel that the Edmonton '05 show feels like the least remarkable... but I was also extremely tired. Meanwhile, the Calgary '05 show was also one of my favourites.) My number's 301XXX, and we were in section 109, row 6.

It was the first time I got to hear them do Of The Girl, which I was beyond pleased to 'get'. One of my favs, along with Sleight Of Hand. Their performance of Sleight of Hand at the '05 Calgary show was the only other time I heard them play it. I agree with jimed14 that the band was totally locked in on that one. I just hope I get to hear them do Nothing As It Seems a second time (only time was in Edmonton in '05, and of the 100+ performances I've heard of that one, that was one of the least remarkable).

What a tremendous string of setlists the band has been giving fans on this tour! I feel that around 2006 (and perhaps peaking in '09) that they shifted to very Ten-heavy sets and whatnot; taking fewer risks and ignoring entire albums - No Code through Riot Act especially. Their setlist variation has always been mightily impressive, don't get me wrong. I just think it's probably the best that it has ever been. They must have more songs than ever worked out and ready to play than ever. Obviously they have more material than before, but the possibilities are virtually endless. I also really liked how they took their time 'getting things going'. The length these shows has also been very impressive. Their energy didn't appear to let up much, if at all, in spite of this. I do feel that the Last Exit of '05 was much tighter, and also more exciting, kicking off the show following Oceans. Fuckin' eh: Red Mosquito! I didn't mind the break from any Backspacer tunes. Not that I mind that album. I suppose they also didn't play anything off the S/T album. I hadn't gotten around to listening to their new album yet, and I found it really nice to hear them for the first time performed live amongst all the other numbers that I'm probably too familiar with.

What a great vibe in that building. It was cool how the crowd was ready to join in on Daughter jam sing-along. In spite of Ed being a tad drunk and flubbing the odd line, I feel the whole band was quite on. Perhaps the standout for me was McCready. There was a few times I remember thinking, "damn, that was a really cool thing he did there".

Also, performing 'Small Town' to the section(s) behind the stage was a nice touch. Matt even played on a separate, smaller kit.
    Post edited by Wookiee_Blaylock on
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    A few points.. Im from South of Calgary. I was at Spokane and its lucky we all shot through on Sun. The Dome holds about 12-15,000 for a concert. 19+ is all the seats all the way around, but the top of the saddle (4k) is never open for shows. So it was a hell of a crowd, I would guess it was a solid 95% full excluding the upper shit seats behind the stage. The roads were ok, I drove 45 min from home to Dome. But the wind was hard, there was a ton of snow between yest and today, and it was really cold with the wind. Roads were brutal after. In terms of getting to Van, they dont take the Crowsnest pass, they would take Highway 1 Trans Canada which is busier but better maintained. I actually liked Spokane better, but maybe cause I had to work harder, had more energy, and it had way more personal gems for me. Great show though and great crowd. Keep in mind, not only was it a frickin blizzard, but it was a Monday!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,939

Seriously if this doesn't hit youtube, then Ten Club MUST provide the video screen footage of it. PLEASE! Who knew Eddie was a Simpsons fan?! Not me!

I bet Santos knew.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Hello
    I'm the lucky guy who got the mic from Eddie at the end of state of love and trust.
    (I sound better in the shower)
    Just wanted to say thanks to all the Ten club members in the line up.
    Thanks to the guy who brought the hand warmer packets while we were freezing our asses off.
    Thanks to those who brought food and drinks.
    And a big thank you to the lady with the number 1 on her hand at the front of the line.
    My wife and I had a incredible experience and it was partly do to you and your friends keeping things organized. Thanks for getting us on the rail!
    Great show, great group of people.
    THANKS Eddie, Stone,Mike,Jeff,Matt and Boom. Perfect Night.

Best regards, James
    :clap::clap: :thumbup: Hope to get your performance on youtube soon, I couldn't find any SOLAT video for Calgary yet...
    What a fantastic setlist!
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
  • Options
    rjm240rjm240 Saskatoon, SK, Canada Posts: 18
    This was only my third show and they keep getting better! I'm from Saskatoon and went to both shows there in '05 and 11. This was my first show I had to travel to and it didn't disappoint. Even with the weather, which seemed to bind everyone together somehow with shared experiences and effort to get to the show.

The energy from both the band and the crowd was phenomenal! I've never been around that many people all cheering and singing so loudly and yet still coherent. Can't wait for the bootleg!

Did anyone use the tour snaps feature on the pearl jam ios app? Just noticed it now and wondering what I missed.

Rock on! Can't wait for the next time I can get out and see them again! :D:D:D
  • Options
    squidsquid Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Posts: 86
    Anyone have a SOLAT video to share?
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I was at Spokane and I'm still buzzing but it looks like the Calgary set list effing ROCKED! Love how they mix it up night after night...no such thing as canned PJ show!

But I have to ask, what happened at the end of the show???!!! From the pics it looks like the guys are running towards the crowd, except for Stone just laughing at the rest of the band like they're idiots!
    http://pearljam.com/photogallery/22120/ ... calgary_ab

Please explain if you were there!
  • Options
    ^ Basically they gave the crowd a massive fake out, making it seem like they were about the jump into the crowd, but then pull up at the last minute.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    ^ Basically they gave the crowd a massive fake out, making it seem like they were about the jump into the crowd, but then pull up at the last minute.

Of course they did, too old for that shit now. Still can't believe Ed never broke anything while climbing around the scaffolding back in his heyday! Stay safe boys, we need you to keep doing this for another couple decades!!!
  • Options
    I am the person who tossed a University of Guelph T-shirt to Eddie V at the end of the concert - PJ gives so much to fans, I thought I should try to give something back, and since it had 1964 on it, EV could see it as a B-day present ;) I brought it with me in hopes of finding the right moment to be able to toss it to him.

Calgary show will be monumental for me, being 4 rows from center stage and seeing/hearing the band as though we were in a bar. Never could I have expected it. Just phenomenal energy and attitude from PJ and crowd, nice to hang in the GA with everyone and thanks for making room to let me toss the shirt and aim well so EV caught it and we could communicate!!!

Also hoping it might persuade PJ to come to UG to play some day, where I teach. PJ kept me company when I was a grad student, broke, working at a bar and having to set up the tables for lunches back in the mid-90s (Rearview Mirror saved my work ethic there); they kept me company when i did my field work; they keep me company now that I'm on the other end of the classroom. I never got to see them in concert until 2006 in Brisbane Aussie where I used to live for a time. Maybe they can play for my broke students who need to see real rock :D

Vancouver last night was amazing but I was sad to be in row 17 on the floor, it's like flying first-class and then having to go back to economy - spoiled!! The show was intense, set list wild, but for me Calgary did it. This band kicks it every show! I was at Buffalo for the beginning of the tour and the energy and dedication to fans never lets up. There was less swinging from lightbulbs in Buffalo but great set there too. Am so sad to see it end and I can't get to Seattle, no tix and don't have my passport...

Enjoy all!
    Sad and blue traveling back to Ontario
  • Options
    Damn BLIZZARD. I spents 4.5 hours stuck on the highway and spent the night at the rescue center in Strathmore....couldn't get from Medicine Hat to Calgary :( THe set looks amazing.....Of the Girl and Sleight of Hand are two of my fav's. Worst part (or best I guess, depending on perspective) because I had fan club ticket, I will never know where my seats were!!!! See you next time you are in Calgary PJ, PLEASE PLEASE come in the summer (after flood season, of course)
  • Options
    ct190428 wrote:
    Damn BLIZZARD. I spents 4.5 hours stuck on the highway and spent the night at the rescue center in Strathmore....couldn't get from Medicine Hat to Calgary :( THe set looks amazing.....Of the Girl and Sleight of Hand are two of my fav's. Worst part (or best I guess, depending on perspective) because I had fan club ticket, I will never know where my seats were!!!! See you next time you are in Calgary PJ, PLEASE PLEASE come in the summer (after flood season, of course)

Were you interviewed by Global News?

Sounds exactly like a PJ fan they interviewed.
  • Options
    I saw the news story too, that's just crazy!! We saw Spokane/Calgary, they were two of the best I've seen yet. We had GA for both, in Cowtown we got within 3 rows of Mike, so I can scratch that off the bucket list. What a setlist,what energy, what a show, its Friday night and I'm still on a high. What I wouldn't give to be in Seattle tonight! Cheers
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    If anyone has a good video of Porch from this show, please let me know.

Would be cool is someone had them coming back on stage for encore two ... but ... I'll just take Porch if I can see it.

Thanks.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    This was such an amazing show!
    It was my fourth show and it was worth braving the blizzard to see it. I'm from Edmonton and normally it only takes about three hours to get down to Calgary, but it took at least another hour and a half. I definitely underestimated the power of this storm haha.
    As the band played their opening songs I lost it. i took my sister to the concert and as the first notes of "of the girl" were played i looked at her and she said it looked like i had lost my mind. I was ecstatic! There are so many other highlights during that show i can not even begin to pin point each one. I can not wait for the bootleg of this show!
    As for the more embarrassing part i was the guy who was in reserved seating who could not stop jumping up and down. Sorry for any blocked views haha Everyone around me did not seem to mind even after i apologized first for getting way to excited! I was also the guy who went around saying "Hey guess what?" to everyone and then telling them "Pearl Jam played at my birthday!" This concert was my birthday present to myself and i couldn't have been happier! (Birthday was on December 3, day after the show)
    I just want to say thank you to all the amazing fans at the show and the most amazing band in the world!
    08-09-2009 Calgary
    09-21-2011 Calgary
    09-23-2011 Edmonton
    12-02-2013 Calgary
    456xxx
  • Options
    HussaHussa Posts: 111
    PacMan7267 wrote:
    It was my fourth show and it was worth braving the blizzard to see it. I'm from Edmonton and normally it only takes about three hours to get down to Calgary, but it took at least another hour and a half. I definitely underestimated the power of this storm haha.
    As the band played their opening songs I lost it. i took my sister to the concert and as the first notes of "of the girl" were played i looked at her and she said it looked like i had lost my mind. I was ecstatic! There are so many other highlights during that show i can not even begin to pin point each one. I can not wait for the bootleg of this show!
    As for the more embarrassing part i was the guy who was in reserved seating who could not stop jumping up and down. Sorry for any blocked views haha Everyone around me did not seem to mind even after i apologized first for getting way to excited! I was also the guy who went around saying "Hey guess what?" to everyone and then telling them "Pearl Jam played at my birthday!" This concert was my birthday present to myself and i couldn't have been happier! (Birthday was on December 3, day after the show)
    I just want to say thank you to all the amazing fans at the show and the most amazing band in the world!

Hey man, were u around row 9 or 8?! I saw u. i was aisle row 11. I loved your energy and enthusiasm and I also fed off it. I even gave u a nickname: GUMBY. Hahaha! Sorry. Happy Birthday! Great show, was my 3rd, can't wait for the bootleg!
    Sept. 4, 2005 - Calgary Saddledome
    Sept. 21, 2011 - Calgary Saddledome
    Dec. 2, 2013 - "THE BLIZZARD SHOW" -Calgary Saddledome
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    If anyone has a good video of Porch from this show, please let me know.

Would be cool is someone had them coming back on stage for encore two ... but ... I'll just take Porch if I can see it.

Thanks.

Still looking, thanks ... comments on page 3 should tell you why. :D

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Hussa wrote:
    PacMan7267 wrote:

Hey man, were u around row 9 or 8?! I saw u. i was aisle row 11. I loved your energy and enthusiasm and I also fed off it. I even gave u a nickname: GUMBY. Hahaha! Sorry. Happy Birthday! Great show, was my 3rd, can't wait for the bootleg!

Row 7 to be exact right in the aisle, also next to a short girl! Best part was the two seats beside us were empty. Thankfully they were empty because oh lord i needed the extra space!
    Thanks and i'm glad some one else could feed off of the energy!
    08-09-2009 Calgary
    09-21-2011 Calgary
    09-23-2011 Edmonton
    12-02-2013 Calgary
    456xxx
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Oh God love empty seats too, peace
  • Options
    GoodbyeForNowGoodbyeForNow Vancouver Posts: 120
    Like so many, I feel fortunate to have made it to Calgary (and back!). I was lucky to get out on one of the few flights that wasn't cancelled from Vancouver. Spent the day working and waiting for a friend that was driving from Lethbridge. We ended up 4th from the rail on Mike's side. It was a phenomenal show - AMAZING setlist and nice people (minus the pushy couple with long crazy hair who decided they were entitled to push and shove their way to the front). Of the three shows I saw (Calgary, Van and Seattle) this one was extra special - got the sense that people were just grateful to have made it.
    Vancouver, GM Place 2005
    Vancouver, GM Place 2009
    Seattle, EV Solo, Benaroya Hall 2011
    Winnipeg, MTS Center, 2011
    Manchester, June 2012
    Phoenix, EV Solo, Comerica Theatre 2012
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    my favorite show of the tour (and I did 9 this time). everything was perfect. setlist, energy, everything. great to be front row center next to "scott" ;) who was super excited and happy to be able to see them from front row after being a fan for a long time!
  • Options
    Kathi wrote:
    my favorite show of the tour (and I did 9 this time). everything was perfect. setlist, energy, everything. great to be front row center next to "scott" ;) who was super excited and happy to be able to see them from front row after being a fan for a long time!

Do you mean this Scott?
    jimed14 wrote:
    I was with a group of people that started the Stone chant in Spokane that led to Don't Gimme No Lip ... when we started the chant again early in the night, Ed commented something along the lines of "aw shit ... you keep chanting for Stone like that, and Mike's gone get jealous and play extra hard" to which the crowd started chanting for Mike and Mike started finger picking his fret board and joking around .... then Ed went to the center of the crowd and asked for some random dude's name ... "Scott eh?" then the crowd erupted into a "Scott! Scott! Scott!" chant .... and Ed quipped ... "Well, Scott ... do something ... like ... show us your tits!" :lol:

Come to find out, a group of my friends were standing next to him ... his name was actually Chad. :lol:

• Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    jimed14 wrote:
    Kathi wrote:

Do you mean this Scott?
    jimed14 wrote:
    I was with a group of people that started the Stone chant in Spokane that led to Don't Gimme No Lip ... when we started the chant again early in the night, Ed commented something along the lines of "aw shit ... you keep chanting for Stone like that, and Mike's gone get jealous and play extra hard" to which the crowd started chanting for Mike and Mike started finger picking his fret board and joking around .... then Ed went to the center of the crowd and asked for some random dude's name ... "Scott eh?" then the crowd erupted into a "Scott! Scott! Scott!" chant .... and Ed quipped ... "Well, Scott ... do something ... like ... show us your tits!" :lol:

Come to find out, a group of my friends were standing next to him ... his name was actually Chad. :lol:

yup, that's who I meant! he was really screaming his real name out loudly, and everybody besides Ed must've heard it :lol:
  • Options
    gillisgillis Posts: 17
    I was Stone side up front partied with Sarah ..... shout out to Sarah it was nice meeting you , would like to keep in touch .
    PJ
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Was just reminiscing and re-reading the set.

I just love this setlist and loved being at this show.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Lifelong PJ fan.. Heard MotherLoveBone first in fact. Due to many reasons I had never seen a PJ show until this one. Two friends braved QEII from Edmonton (where I live but was working in Cowtown) and made it for the show. Driving conditions were horrible and The boys did rock the place in appreciation for all of us.
    The show was one big emotional hi-light for me. Every song was awesome, every interaction with the crowd was amazing. Two of us grabbed tickets at Key Arena in Seattle and drove from Cowtown to Seattle and back on the weekend that followed.
    We were in the back of the floor seats in cowtown... Still amazing.
    To make up for lost time the two of us have GA seats for Amsterdam June 16, Trieste Italy June 22, and Vienna June 25.
    Looking forward to the European Tour!
    Hats off to the CREW for setting up the show and making it in the horrible conditions. Yes Seattle to Calgary is about 11 hrs when you drive like ME ;). AWD and Michelin ice-X... No need for Mr. Plow lol
  • Options
    SV2828SV2828 Posts: 66
    Man the fans had to brave the weather to get to this one. It was ugly. Had to sell my other FC tic. Someone bailed which was too bad, but ended up meeting a great guy from Arizona and we had front row seats in reserved on Mike's side. he was more than thrilled that we linked up on this wonderful forum.

Was a fantastic show. Arent they all? Thye were on fire and came to play for those who braved the weather.

This was a tough show to get to for a multitude of reasons but it is always so worth it in the end.

Save it For Later was great this night. Ed's voice was in fine form.

I dont even know what else to say other than I will they would tour again tomorrow.
    9/22/96 - Toledo, 7/19/98-Vancouver, 7/21/98-Seattle, 11/5/00-Seattle, 12/8/02-Seattle, 5/30/03-Vancouver, 9/2/05-Vancouver, 7/22/06-Gorge,WA, 9/22/09-Seattle, 9/25/09-Vancouver, 9/26/09-Portland(Ridgefield)-Calgary, 9/21/11-Edmonton, 9/23/11-Vancouver, 9/25/11, Portland 11/28/13, Spokane 11/29/13, Calgary 12/2/13, Vancouver 12/4/13, Seattle (Home Shows) 8/8+8/10/18, Fenway (Away Shows), 9/2+9/4/18, (Vancouver 5/4/24), (Vancouver 5/6/24)

EV: Vancouver, 4/2/08 + 4/3/08 - Seattle, 7/16/11, Amsterdam, 6/10/2019
  • Options

Well, no Crazy Mary for Vancouver. Damn, I was hoping to finally see that. Oh well, maybe still hope for Insignificance or Nothing As It Seems for my birthday show on Wednesday.

Damn fine setlist for Calgary. Kudos to you guys for everyone who got to the show. Will be Sunny in Vancouver, so no blizzard here.

Calgary got Crazy Mary last time in 2011 as well and the best setlist of that 2011 Canadian run as far as I'm concerned (Brain of J and Johnny Guitar back to back? Das wha I'm talkin bout!!.)

~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------