Options

Fanviews: Exaggerated Show Durations

1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
edited November 2013 in The Porch
Just something I've noticed about fanviews I've read (on a number of websites) for the various shows on the tour. Initial reviews will say something like "great 3 (or 3+) hour show," but as more and more reviews are added to the thread for the same show, you see comments like, "great 3 and a half ..." - "great 3 hour 45 minute show."

I know that the band's set list and show durations (obviously) vary from show to show, but these are reviews for the SAME show. When everything is said and done, the band's played a four hour show and there's been a Bigfoot sighting on stage.

Just something I find interesting and a bit funny (albeit endearingly so).

By the way, I loved the two L.A. shows. Ten of the greatest hours of my life.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,083
    I noticed that someone said one of the shows, LA2 maybe? was "the 2nd longest show the band has ever done." Not sure about that.
  • Options
    I think people just over-exaggerate in the heat of the moment. Although they have been cranking out some long sets.

Pretty sure the State College and Spectrum shows were the longest they ever played.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Just something I've noticed about fanviews I've read (on a number of websites) for the various shows on the tour. Initial reviews will say something like "great 3 (or 3+) hour show," but as more and more reviews are added to the thread for the same show, you see comments like, "great 3 and a half ..." - "great 3 hour 45 minute show."

I know that the band's set list and show durations (obviously) vary from show to show, but these are reviews for the SAME show. When everything is said and done, the band's played a four hour show and there's been a Bigfoot sighting on stage.

While this may be true, the band really has been playing 3 hour shows each night. All three shows I saw were right at 3 hours each.

Oakland, honestly was 3 and 1/2 hours. I was following the setlist thread and they started at 8:30 and ended at 11:50-11:55, which is right at about 3 and 1/2 hours.

Yea some people do exaggerate, but Oakland was alot longer than usual.
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Wrigley was very long for all the wrong reasons
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    San Diego was 3 hours and 24 minutes
    Oakland 3 hours 20 minutes
    Charlottesvile was 3 hours 8 minutes
    Hartford was 3 hours and 7 minutes etc..

times are from the moment opener song start till the last note of the last song(encores and eddie talking is in that times
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ceska wrote:
    I noticed that someone said one of the shows, LA2 maybe? was "the 2nd longest show the band has ever done." Not sure about that.
    I was at L.A. 1 and 2. Both ran about three hours. So, yeah, ... definitely not second longest of all time or even of this tour alone.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

While this may be true, the band really has been playing 3 hour shows each night. All three shows I saw were right at 3 hours each.

Oakland, honestly was 3 and 1/2 hours. I was following the setlist thread and they started at 8:30 and ended at 11:50-11:55, which is right at about 3 and 1/2 hours.

Yea some people do exaggerate, but Oakland was alot longer than usual.
    Yes. Three hour shows are about par for the course (three hours each for L.A. 1 and 2). I know the San Diego and Oakland shows were longer (esp. Oakland). Sure wish I coulda made that Oakland gig. Judging from the duration and the setlist, that must've been a bad ass show.
  • Options
    I think people just over-exaggerate in the heat of the moment. Although they have been cranking out some long sets.

Pretty sure the State College and Spectrum shows were the longest they ever played.
    Agreed. Just the heat of the moment, as you say.

I dig the enthusiasm; just find the gradual exaggeration a bit humorous.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Phoenix was 3h02m and I got proof
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWEPgBTe34g
  • Options
    2 HOURS AND 58 MIN WAS PHOENIX
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Not to get surgical with minutes and seconds. LA Sports Arena has a clock on the wall. Started about 8:30 ended 11:30.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    then why is the concert 3h02m? there is certainly not more than 1 minute of time before or after the show where the band isn't playng, so how do you get 2h58m from 3h02m, maybe it is the European exchange rate :lol: so if I am wrong I do apologize, but I still wouldn't trade the show we got for any other, that show was fucking epic and the band and crowd were in top form
  • Options
    then why is the concert 3h02m? there is certainly not more than 1 minute of time before or after the show where the band isn't playng, so how do you get 2h58m from 3h02m, maybe it is the European exchange rate :lol: so if I am wrong I do apologize, but I still wouldn't trade the show we got for any other, that show was fucking epic and the band and crowd were in top form
    2 min 23 sec is the intro song before band go on stage and 1 min and half the bow -goodnight etc
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The Portland show/set was amazing. No exaggeration.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Not to get surgical with minutes and seconds. LA Sports Arena has a clock on the wall. Started about 8:30 ended 11:30.
    yes,exactly
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    Funny thread! :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Actually LA started at 830.45 and ended at 1130.25
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872

I know for fact there was a Bigfoot sighting in Hartford. I'm pretty sure it was purple too.
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    they wouldn't be three hours if Ed didn't talk so much. I heard one yesterday on pearl jam radio from boston or Worchester or wherever and just thought jeez shut up you drunk bastard and just play.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Dimitris,
    how long were the brooklyn and philly shows? thanks
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,083
    Well, it is the long talks and the Ed solo tunes and the occasional Eruption from Mike that gives the band times to chill out and conserve energy without taking a full break, so if that's what they need to do in order to be on stage for three hours, then by all means keep up the routine. I think the audience needs it too. Ed knows what he was talking about when he said "let's pace ourselves."

Interesting, of the shows on my ipod right now, Wrigley clocks in at 176 mins, Worcester 2 at 173, Philly 2 at 177, and Phoenix at 183 minutes.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Boston 2010 was a seven hour show. No Lie.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JG49071 wrote:
    they wouldn't be three hours if Ed didn't talk so much. I heard one yesterday on pearl jam radio from boston or Worchester or wherever and just thought jeez shut up you drunk bastard and just play.

Haha. Was thinking the same thing during Worcester 1 yesterday. Starting late in the main set til the end, he talks for 2-3 minutes after all most every song. It gets tiring after a while.

I like a few stories but not so many. And we could do without some of the ahs, hmms, & ummms...
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Dimitris,

brooklyn 1 - 2 hours 28 min
    broklyn 2 - 2 hours 58 min
    philly 1 - 2 hours 55 min
    philly 2 - 2 hours and 58 min
  • Options
    KateAKateA Posts: 182
    JG49071 wrote:

If this was your attempt at sarcasm then you've failed miserably :fp:

If that's your opinion for real than you are very rude :nono:

A lot of people love Ed's ramblings. Maybe shows are not for you? Listen to a CD or something :roll:
    <hr>Normality is the death of personality.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Dimitris,

brooklyn 1 - 2 hours 28 min
    broklyn 2 - 2 hours 58 min
    philly 1 - 2 hours 55 min
    philly 2 - 2 hours and 58 min
    Damn that's pretty impressive. Thanks bud
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......