Options

PJ on Cassette - anyone collecting? pros & cons of Cassettes

evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
edited November 2013 in The Porch
How's the cassette collecting coming along out there in Hardcore PJ land?

I've got:

Ten
Vs
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural

Strike now while they're cheap folks. Soon we'll be saying "wow... never thought cassettes would come back - I remember when people were practically giving them away."

Benefits of cassette:

100% Analog
Vintage
Collectible
Currently cheap

Cons of cassette:

Delicate
Cheaply made?
Don't last as long as vinyl?
Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I just completed all the No Code versions. I now have all the U.S. releases Ten-Binaural. Kinda thinking about getting into the foreign releases, but there are SO many.
  • Options
    Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    EEEEeeEeeEeeEeEeeeeegrrrgshhhhkt

2714760019_8b0aae21c1.jpg?v=0

:(

(I did see a section of cassette tapes at Easy Street...I guess they are really 'hipster')
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    i'm a fan

just as analoggy as vinyl, but to me they sound better...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    EEEEeeEeeEeeEeEeeeeegrrrgshhhhkt

2714760019_8b0aae21c1.jpg?v=0

:(

(I did see a section of cassette tapes at Easy Street...I guess they are really 'hipster')

Another reason they will be hard to find!
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I have 100's of old bootlegs on maxwell xL II's, mostly from 92-98 tours, from the days when we mailed me to each other in padded envelopes. I've been thinking they're wasted space, especially since the band released their own bootlegs eventually. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows....

To me they'll never be equal to vinyl because the tape itself inside can break or get twisted, but what the hell do I know?!

Edit: Maxell XLII :)
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    evsgjamm wrote:
    How's the cassette collecting coming along out there in Hardcore PJ land?

I've got:

Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Binaural

Strike now while they're cheap folks. Soon we'll be saying "wow... never thought cassettes would come back - I remember when people were practically giving them away."

Benefits of cassette:

100% Analog
    Vintage
    Collectible
    Currently cheap

Cons of cassette:

Delicate
    Cheaply made?
    Don't last as long as vinyl?

What about Yield?

I have albums on Ten-Binaural on cassette also.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I would love me some PJ minidiscs. I have never seen a md section in a record store, but I love these little thingies. All I got is a bunch of old ones that I recorded back then for myself and the Singles soundtrack, which I purchased a couple of months ago. They are still too expensive to just grab them though ...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    I have Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and No Code as well on cassette.

My old car had a cassette deck in it and it ate two of my cassettes (both Alice in Chains ones too :x )
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    6960831333_9358213fde.jpg
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    LloydXmas wrote:

nice...just curious, I've just unearthed some VERY old cassettes (early-80s) that I haven't played yet. Do the tapes get brittle over time? Can't imagine they wouldn't.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bigbadbill wrote:
    What about Yield?

I have albums on Ten-Binaural on cassette also.

Good catch - I was sitting here rumagging through my useless brain wondering if I listed all of them and of course... I missed one. Cheers - Yes, I have Yield as well. I made a point back in the day to own all studio albums on CD, Cassette and Vinyl. Mission somewhat accomplished; need a couple more cassettes and Live on Two Legs vinyl.
    Post edited by evsgjamm on
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

• Options
    LloydXmas wrote:

I was wondering who would be the first to post a pic of that - had to be friggin Mr. Sampsonite himself. :lol:

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    I would love me some PJ minidiscs. I have never seen a md section in a record store, but I love these little thingies. All I got is a bunch of old ones that I recorded back then for myself and the Singles soundtrack, which I purchased a couple of months ago. They are still too expensive to just grab them though ...

I have all the PJ's mini disc from the USA, it is the cutest format ever.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
    I have 100's of old bootlegs on maxwell xL II's, mostly from 92-98 tours, from the days when we mailed me to each other in padded envelopes. I've been thinking they're wasted space, especially since the band released their own bootlegs eventually. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows....

To me they'll never be equal to vinyl because the tape itself inside can break or get twisted, but what the hell do I know?!

Me too! I wonder if we ever traded? Ahhh, the good old days
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    Never thought of it! Very cool. I have a few, but nowhere near collector status. They do sound nice though!
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

i loved the trading days! so much damn fun. Luke adlolph from boston used to send me a hell of a lot of tapes...awesome guy. I used to have over 100 shows from 90 to 98. I actually bootlegged the la and camden shows in 98. good times. sadly they were all thrown away about 5 years ago.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    arq wrote:

Awesome :thumbup:
    I will keep my eyes open! I'd love to have them all too...
    Sorry for hijacking, OP :shifty:

My version of TEN was a cassette that my best friend gave to me. She copied her original version and gave me the "bootleg". This was how I got started with PJ back in 1992 or 93. I even made a proper color copy of the cover. Good old days ... But yeah, I prefer minidiscs. They seem so much more durable and sturdy. And cute :mrgreen:
  • Options

Awesome :thumbup:
    I will keep my eyes open! I'd love to have them all too...
    Sorry for hijacking, OP :shifty:

My version of TEN was a cassette that my best friend gave to me. She copied her original version and gave me the "bootleg". This was how I got started with PJ back in 1992 or 93. I even made a proper color copy of the cover. Good old days ... But yeah, I prefer minidiscs. They seem so much more durable and sturdy. And cute :mrgreen:[/quote]

It's all good Leeze: the minidisc talk is interesting for sure. The only minidisc I own is an old Black Flag one; think I played it only a couple times in our big ole CD player from 1993. I completely missed the bootleg cassette train - Jumped on to PJ in 1998-99 and started out with CD's. Noticed Cassettes in the local record shops and there were thousands of em... picked out all my fav's: PJ, OLP, Nirvana, then got the impulse bug and grabbed MJ, Bush, TTH, Boston, Supertramp, ... shit, the list goes on.

• Options
    evsgjamm wrote:

It's all good Leeze: the minidisc talk is interesting for sure. The only minidisc I own is an old Black Flag one; think I played it only a couple times in our big ole CD player from 1993. I completely missed the bootleg cassette train - Jumped on to PJ in 1998-99 and started out with CD's. Noticed Cassettes in the local record shops and there were thousands of em... picked out all my fav's: PJ, OLP, Nirvana, then got the impulse bug and grabbed MJ, Bush, TTH, Boston, Supertramp, ... shit, the list goes on.

Wow, you have quite the collection going on there!
    When I'm talking about a minidisc, I'm talking about this kind of thing:
    minidisc_s.gif

You need a special minidisc-player to play them. They don't work in a regular cd player :)
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    second thing I thought of ...after "hissssssss"
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    I have the following on cassette:

Ten
    Vs
    Vitalogy
    No Code
    Yield
    Live On Two Legs
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Lost Dogs (x2 cassettes)
    Avocado
    Live at Benaroya Hall (x2 cassettes)
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    Had to take a trip down memory lane to rest my head. Ya, I never did play that mini disk in the CD Player. It fit inside perfectly into a recessed part of the main CD compartment, which when I first tried it about 10 years ago, equated to my belief that I played it. Man.. just playing with that old ghettoblaster (haha...that word is just so obsolete) brought back memories of recording songs off the radio onto cassette.

• Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    Had to take a trip down memory lane to rest my head. Ya, I never did play that mini disk in the CD Player. It fit inside perfectly into a recessed part of the main CD compartment, which when I first tried it about 10 years ago, equated to my belief that I played it. Man.. just playing with that old ghettoblaster (haha...that word is just so obsolete) brought back memories of recording songs off the radio onto cassette.

Yeah ... And mixtapes!
  • Options
    I have fun with it, I have the Animal live from the MTV awards single that came with certain copies of Vs, Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, 2 copies of Vs, Sweet Relief, and Vitalogy. Looking to complete my collection! Found many of those at Goodwill over the summer in near mint condition for really cheap. I couldn't believe they were all just sitting there.
    Weary is the mind of one stuck in repetition
  • Options
    EmmEmm Posts: 196

I had a heap of old bootlegs from those days as well ... I gave them all away to some one who had just fallen hard for PJ ... I figured the same as you ... they didn't hold much value, took up to much room and I didn't own a tape player any more so couldnt listen to them ... pretty sure there were a few of the original albums in there as well, maybe 10 and Vs if I remember correctly .... guess maybe I should have hung onto them :/
    Breath, breathe, engulfing .... Consuming, so beautiful ... Life ...
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    I have Ten-Vs-Vitalogy-No Code-Yield on cassettes. THey should be somewhere at my mom's house, where I grew up.

I think all except Ten were 'bootlegs'. Either I'd buy bootlegs from the store at a cheaper price than original or copy from firends. :mrgreen: Had to be careful with spending those times. :fp:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    never understood why Minidiscs weren't super successful, I guess the digital age took care of it, but I too got all the Minidiscs.

Theres some super rare cassettes out there that are worth a mint too....
  • Options
    Back when Ten first came out in 1991, I went out and bought the cassette right away after a guy I was dating at the time played it for me! I was still mostly an album person at that time, but got the cassette instead since I wanted to play it in my car AND at home and couldn't do that with an album! The guy turned out to be a jerk, but I'm forever grateful that he introduced me to Pearl Jam - and I still have the cassette!
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Just want to post that I love the tiny little seperate booklet that comes with the No Code cassette. Plus....the photos that appear inside show more of the image. Like zoomed out versions of what you see in the lp and cd versions. This little thing shows more! So that's a pro right there . As far as listening to it goes I would never actually play the thing. Tapes suck. :D j/k