Options

I don't think Unthought Known should be played this much

Comments

• Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Before a gig I always think, "I want to hear so many rarities and not a greatest hits type set." But while the band is playing, that thought rarely crosses my mind (especially if its an energetic and tight gig). In the end, setlist really doesn't matter too much.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    And Unthought Known is one of the best tunes off Backspacer. I enjoy it live a lot.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    HIGHLY overrated song...

Goes nowhere...

I've heard this before but don't quite get why exactly this ruins the song. Where does Smile go that UK doesnt? Long Road?

Like I said earlier, not one of my favorites, but when folks are saying that it doesn't get energy live I gotta wonder if they are actually going to shows or watching them on youtube.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    that band does what it wants...
    wait till they quit....
    then you'd love to hear any song :fp:
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    It's the best song on their first number one record in 13 years.

It's my wife's favourite song.

I saw them open with it last year at the Isle of Wight and thought it was great for that type of show.

I'll never understand complaints about song selection. I saw Fleetwood Mac a few months ago. They were amazing. But they also played the same set that they had been playing for the entire tour. When Pearl Jam starts doing that, then we can complain.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    ckravitz wrote:
    HIGHLY overrated song...

Goes nowhere...

I've heard this before but don't quite get why exactly this ruins the song. Where does Smile go that UK doesnt? Long Road?

Like I said earlier, not one of my favorites, but when folks are saying that it doesn't get energy live I gotta wonder if they are actually going to shows or watching them on youtube.

Caught it 3x and it was one the dead points of the show every time. One of those times was PJ20. Compared to The Fixer and Just Breathe, it puts people to sleep. Compared to the classics, it's like people are falling over dead.

Not saying it doesn't go over in cities with less discriminating taste :D just the shows I've seen it, the reaction was less than impressive.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    thank God they choose to play THAT song than others from Backspacer..

yeah,im looking at you Just Breathe and Supersonic..

Wait I still haven't heard Supersonic live yet.
    One of a handful that i have missed.
    So I hope they pull it out in Hartford.
    Ugh. One of the worst PJ songs ever written. I don't understand why anyone would ever want to hear it live.... this song collecting makes sense to a point, but not when people want to hear HORRIBLE songs just so they can say they saw it.

Oh OK because PJ Soul says the songs sucks then i should just change my mind and take your opinion for fact.
    Come on anything PJ Soul says is correct no matter what.
    In your clueless mind no one else can have a differnt view than you.
    I enjoy the song and hope they play it at the next show you go to just to piss you off.
  • Options
    I'm apparently one of the few that actually likes Backspacer. Wish they'd spread the love, force of nature, amongs the waves, supersonic, gonna see my friend, all should be rotated with unthought known.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    DewieCox wrote:
    ckravitz wrote:
    HIGHLY overrated song...

Goes nowhere...

Caught it 3x and it was one the dead points of the show every time. One of those times was PJ20. Compared to The Fixer and Just Breathe, it puts people to sleep. Compared to the classics, it's like people are falling over dead.

Not saying it doesn't go over in cities with less discriminating taste :D just the shows I've seen it, the reaction was less than impressive.

:lol: NY and Philly are looking for you pal! :lol:
  • Options
    ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 568
    Unthought Known is a Pearl Jam classic. I love when they play it, so does the crowd. Philly and BKN were both going fucking off to it. "GEMS AND RHINESTONESSSSSSS" is great when the crowd echoes it. On the other hand, any one who is saying Amongst the Waves is better than Unthought Known is out of their mind. Only lowlight through BKN 1,2, and Philly 2 (all three shows I attended) was hearing this song.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Ugh. One of the worst PJ songs ever written. I don't understand why anyone would ever want to hear it live.... this song collecting makes sense to a point, but not when people want to hear HORRIBLE songs just so they can say they saw it.

Oh OK because PJ Soul says the songs sucks then i should just change my mind and take your opinion for fact.
    I enjoy the song and hope they play it at the next show you go to just to piss you off.

He also capitalized horrible which makes it even more of a fact :lol:
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I can tolerate it live but there's 100 songs I'd rather hear. Used to hate it but that was probably because they played it at every show. Amongst The Waves is my Backspacer black sheep... :|
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    veddertown wrote:
    I can tolerate it live but there's 100 songs I'd rather hear. Used to hate it but that was probably because they played it at every show. Amongst The Waves is my Backspacer black sheep... :|
    I am use to being the black sheep :D
  • Options
    Eddie has changed the second half of Amongst The Waves and is on the verge of ruining the song changing the chorus of the second half of the song from "I can feel like a soul that has been saved" to "I have put way my early grave" is a major downgrade, get with the program Ed and sing the original lyrics :D obviously Eddie can do what he wants but the change to Amongst The Waves is a major downgrade and confuses the hell out of the fans trying to sing along. And it is cool that a lot of my fellow 10clubbers love Unthought, I don't get it, but if we all liked the same thing life would be really boring. My reasoning is you take the 5th best song off of the 11th best album not sure why it should get regular rotation. as for Better Man, the band has been kicking ass like the old days and taking names, since the 2012 European Tour, coincidentally or not after my pussification of Better Man thread, every version I have heard has been ballsy and something I have enjoyed hearing, glad to have old Better Man back, now if I can get the 2006 version of Even Flow back then we will be talking, and this is a version I would enjoy hearing every show. on a final note I thought the whole point of the forum was to have fun discussing Pearl Jam related stuff and people should not get offended if someone else thinks a song the love sucks, all it means is we have different tastes, believe me that is really not the end of the world, I respect your opinions if they are different, can't understand why some people get offended, with all the stuff in the world going on this is simply entertainment and shouldn't be personal, and I am doing everything I can just to keep it to the music and respect everyone else's opinions, being offensive towards any of the band members or their families would be different, but like Jeff said during Pearl Jam Twenty "I thought it was kind of cool when they booed, it's art" (referring to Bu$hleaguer Uniondale 2003)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,422
    Eddie has changed the second half of Amongst The Waves and is on the verge of ruining the song changing the chorus of the second half of the song from "I can feel like a soul that has been saved" to "I have put way my early grave" is a major downgrade, get with the program Ed and sing the original lyrics :D obviously Eddie can do what he wants but the change to Amongst The Waves is a major downgrade and confuses the hell out of the fans trying to sing along. And it is cool that a lot of my fellow 10clubbers love Unthought, I don't get it, but if we all liked the same thing life would be really boring. My reasoning is you take the 5th best song off of the 11th best album not sure why it should get regular rotation. as for Better Man, the band has been kicking ass like the old days and taking names, since the 2012 European Tour, coincidentally or not after my pussification of Better Man thread, every version I have heard has been ballsy and something I have enjoyed hearing, glad to have old Better Man back, now if I can get the 2006 version of Even Flow back then we will be talking, and this is a version I would enjoy hearing every show. on a final note I thought the whole point of the forum was to have fun discussing Pearl Jam related stuff and people should not get offended if someone else thinks a song the love sucks, all it means is we have different tastes, believe me that is really not the end of the world, I respect your opinions if they are different, can't understand why some people get offended, with all the stuff in the world going on this is simply entertainment and shouldn't be personal, and I am doing everything I can just to keep it to the music and respect everyone else's opinions, being offensive towards any of the band members or their families would be different, but like Jeff said during Pearl Jam Twenty "I thought it was kind of cool when they booed, it's art" (referring to Bu$hleaguer Uniondale 2003)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07OeTiPSc8Y

I didn't notice the lyric change in Amongst. Probably because I just sang whatever I felt like. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    correct Amongst The Waves Amsterdam 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g6OoZIsC2A
    wrong Amongst The Waves Philadelphia 2013 (love the video though)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZT_CiQsyR8
  • Options
    Backspacer sucks
  • Options
    Backspacer sucks
    1.Vs
    2.No Code
    3.Yield
    4.Lost Dogs
    5.Lightning Bolt
    6.Ten
    7.Vitalogy
    8.Binaural
    9.Riot Act
    10.Pearl Jam
    11.Backspacer
  • Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    Unthought Known wishes it was the song Lightning Bolt...
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    Unthought Known wishes it was the song Lightning Bolt...
    :lol: it wishes it was any song off Lightning Bolt, if it were on LB it would be 13th best song
  • Options
    Backspacer sucks
    1.Vs
    2.No Code
    3.Yield
    4.Lost Dogs
    5.Lightning Bolt
    6.Ten
    7.Vitalogy
    8.Binaural
    9.Riot Act
    10.Pearl Jam
    11.Backspacer

Um, no. Not even close.
  • Options
    I'm apparently one of the few that actually likes Backspacer. Wish they'd spread the love, force of nature, amongs the waves, supersonic, gonna see my friend, all should be rotated with unthought known.

I also love Backspacer! :thumbup: I thought UK went over very well in Philly Tuesday night-our section was singing along very loudly (especially the "gems and rhinestones" part!)

Obviously, I would LOVE to hear Force of Nature someday. I will never give up hope! However, when I go to any PJ concert, I enjoy whatever they decide to play. I just feel grateful to be alive during their time and able to see them as many times as I have! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    PJ_Soul wrote:

:?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    PJ_Soul wrote:

He also capitalized horrible which makes it even more of a fact :lol:
    I am a she, and wtf are you two talking about? :lol: All i did was state an opinion. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    i guess im in the minority here cuz i love Unthought Known i think its by far the best song on that album and is a great one live.
  • Options
    don't worry PJ Soul I got your back
  • Options
    i guess im in the minority here cuz i love Unthought Known i think its by far the best song on that album and is a great one live.
    actually it appears you are in the slight majority, but that in itself proves it's point that it is not an overwhelmingly popular song, but in fairness to Ed I really think there was a strong possibility he put it in the setlists for his daughters who are with him on the trip or at least were for most of those shows, if I had kids and they wanted to hear a song I would probably put in there too
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    actually it appears you are in the slight majority, but that in itself proves it's point that it is not an overwhelmingly popular song,

...which proves absolutely nothing. It's art, remember?
    but in fairness to Ed I really think there was a strong possibility he put it in the setlists for his daughters who are with him on the trip or at least were for most of those shows, if I had kids and they wanted to hear a song I would probably put in there too

I'm (1) not sure what you're basing that on and (2) why it matters? Who knows if his daughters like any of their songs and why this one and if they're on the trip or if they're at the shows or if he's playing it for them or if he's playing it because he just likes to play it GOOD GRIEF MAN! Give it a rest!

It's just very unclear what point you're trying to make or why you're trying to make it. You don't like the song. Great. What does that have to do with Ed's daughters or the different lyrics of "Amongst The Waves" or the reason why Ed or the band play certain songs?

In all politeness, give it a rest.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    With all due respect, I was really enjoying the month or two when the OP was In Hiding.
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:

I'm (1) not sure what you're basing that on and (2) why it matters? Who knows if his daughters like any of their songs and why this one and if they're on the trip or if they're at the shows or if he's playing it for them or if he's playing it because he just likes to play it GOOD GRIEF MAN! Give it a rest!

It's just very unclear what point you're trying to make or why you're trying to make it. You don't like the song. Great. What does that have to do with Ed's daughters or the different lyrics of "Amongst The Waves" or the reason why Ed or the band play certain songs?

In all politeness, give it a rest.
    all threads take tangents so and as someone who is willing to engage any one who wants to talk about Pearl Jam and I don't hate the song I think it would suck if it becomes a setlist regular, which I define as any song that gets played in at least 50% of the shows, because that comes at the expense of other songs, and as for the playing the song for his kids, because I am hoping that it is the case, because if it isn't it means that they intend on it being one of the more frequently played songs. and I am not sure why my opinion on anything would even matter to you, especially enough to respond