Options

Stone doesn't seem into it anymore

Comments

• Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    He's probably just sick of opening with Pendulum.

That makes two of us...
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
  • Options
    SwBkRn44SwBkRn44 Posts: 232
    I went to Brooklyn 2 with my Dad and he commented on the 2 or 3 times Stone played lead and how energized he seemed. That was literally my Dad's first comment after the show.

Stone also had about the most amazing pick toss I've ever seen. I rarely see him throw picks to the audience, but he chucked one and I think it may have cleared the GA section.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Can't disagree more. He's just like that on stage. Not everyone has to be theatrical. He did some good solos in Brooklyn. We seem to be almost always on Stone's side and I like watching him play just as much as watching Mike. I'm sure he wouldn't be there if he didn't want to be so don't worry OP.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I had been thinking this for a longtime now,
    but am starting to surrender this "logic of perception" to the more probable answer:
    Stone is an extreme introvert, with possible social anxiety.

We already know he doesn't really like fan interaction when he is OFF the stage (doesn't like getting photos in the street, doesn't like walking in to places where he knows there are fans) and we also know he doesn't really like doing the movie \ press stuff. Just assume that stone is not a people person. But that doesn't mean he is a bad dog. Just don't pet him, or expect him to come sit in your lap. And know he loves you.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    Shut the front door!
  • Options
    for previous tours i would tend to agree, but he was duck walking all over the place in worcester...
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    He was jamming out, laying on his back during Porch at Philly 1, so I'd say he's still VERY into it!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    for previous tours i would tend to agree, but he was duck walking all over the place in worcester...

When Stone's duck-a-walkin', this show's a rockin'!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    I def. agree with the post at the bottom of the first page: "Stone is all business." That's just the way he is - he's never run around as much as Mike or shown emotion on his face like Eddie. But make no mistake, he is into it. I think he'd probably quit if he wasn't - he seems like the kind of guy who does what he wants.

There was a great interview he did about LB. He made it clear that he was as passionate as ever, and psyched to get ouy and play live. I guess he could have been lying, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    lawguylawguy Posts: 257
    I was in GA for Brooklyn 2....and I swear I thought there was tension the entire night between Ed and Stone. I don't think it affected the music. Stone was still into what he was doing. But there still seemed to be tension.

A couple things I saw:

1) The globe lights - Eddie threw one at Stone, but from where I was standing, it did not seem like a playful thing.

2) Eddie always seemed to interact w/ Jeff and Mike but never with Stone. At one point (I dont remember which song), Eddie turned his back to stone to jam with Mike and Jeff. Stone had to literally step up on the drum riser to get around Eddie to join the little jam. It looked like he was shutting out Stone on purpose. I saw Stone make eye contact with Matt and Jeff a couple times after Ed sorta ignored him and it was the look that said "see how much of a dick he is to me" type thing.

3) Eddie also said something talking shit about Stone. This one I dont remember as well because after the concert I assumed it was all in my head. I think he said something about trying to search for the limelight and then said "like Stone". Or something like that. Sorry for the lack of details.

Long story short. I know I don't have much to go on here based in fact. BUt I consider myself a pretty good reader of people and literally all night I got the vibe that either 1) they hate each other but deal with it for the greater good or 2) They were pissed at each other about something but its no big deal. Either way, I saw tension that night.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 466
    I'm on the disagree side of this as well. Philly 1, I remember turning to friend next to me saying that Stone is out of his mind tonight.

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    lol are you trolling?
    stone looks more into it than he has in YEARS
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 630
    I was at Philly night 1...second song (Long Road), I said to my buddy...Stone is into this tonight. He was a nut most of the night. I can't agree with you on that one op.

Exactly! At the end of Long Road, he was trying to lead the crowd during the "we all walk the Long Road" chant, and I've never seen that before.

You can kind of see it in this video (although the video is very dark), starting at about 4:30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60FYSJ_Tnyk&noredirect=1
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    I just heard a rumor that Stone is leaving the band to join the American Idol backing band :o

Point being, the above statements is about as ridiculous as the premise of this thread.

They're 5 adults who have been playing and performing together in front of thousands every other night for over 20 years. They're gonna have some disagreements from time to time. Consider it a marriage, not every night is like the 1st date.

Just because he's not jumping around on stage doing flying scissor kicks doesnt mean he's not into it. That's never been him.....

Here's a good read from a recent interview with Stone. I'd say he's more into it than ever!

http://www.stereogum.com/1519972/qa-pea ... interviews
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,912
    He's the "John Paul Jones" of Pearl Jam. Quiet, great at what he does, rock steady.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    Stone needs to bring back the pigeon-necking!!!!!!!!!!!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    Since 1992 when I first saw them live, Stone has always been the lesser of the four showmen in front of the drum kit. I dont think thats changed at all. However, you'll occasionally see the duck walk come out

Even in Brad, he's not showing off despite being the biggest name in the band
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    He's the "John Paul Jones" of Pearl Jam. Quiet, great at what he does, rock steady.

+1
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    He was rocking the fuck out in Brooklyn.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    BinFrog wrote:
    He seems more into this tour than recent tours, IMO.

http://spinners-web-design.com/PJ-10-15 ... 3915_n.jpg

Worth re-posting. This picture from Worcester 1 says it all.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Watch the last 20 seconds of this video of Otherside in Worcester. Stone is totally into it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_zKmxRBjHk

Cheers...
    PPIMB
    "Shoe the Shoeless!"
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    BinFrog wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

Worth re-posting. This picture from Worcester 1 says it all.

he was on fire, having a BLAST at that show.. i saw him get a HUGE grin a few times when the crowd really sang loud.. the man seems like he is in a pretty good place these days.. and he looks cooler than he has in years.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 466
    Watch the last 20 seconds of this video of Otherside in Worcester. Stone is totally into it!

Cheers...
    PPIMB

I hadnt seen that.....that look and "wow" from him is awesome !

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611

Cheers...
    PPIMB

Never saw that either! I was at that show, must have been looking at Ed. Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that Stone loves what he's doing.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    BinFrog wrote:

i could not agree more

stone was strutting and dancing in worcester.... i was actually surprised
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708

Cant wait to see what happens in Hartford after he gets wind of this thread :corn:

Maybe he'll sing! :clap:

But I have to disagree with you. I was at Philly Monday night, and he definitely was into it. :D It.Was.Awesome.
    THIS!

I thought the whole band looked like they were having a great time Monday night...but especially noticed Stone was jamming out, laughing, etc.
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    He was rocking the fuck out in Brooklyn.

yea he was :D
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i think stone has always been kind of hit or miss.

i remember seeing an interview with him and jeff on youtube which took place before pinkpop 2000 and stone was talking about how it's hard for him to get into it some nights and he really depends on the rest of the band to pick it up. he then referenced how he felt that way for last night's show which was the nurnberg, germany show which was FUCKING AWESOME and offers some of the best pearl jam youtube clips (most notable nothing as it seems and black).

i'll try and find the interview and post.

edit: that was a quick find. around the 4:40 mark he talks about being into a show emotionally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flbtcwqYXzw
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 452
    Stone is a mysterious and powerful device, and his mystery is exceeded only by his power.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    what Philly shows were you at? I was surprised at Stone in Philly, putting his hands up, getting the crowd to clap and sing along.