Options

Pendulum opens Philly. Twice?

KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
edited October 2013 in The Porch
I don't know about anyone else, but I was surprised that they opened both nights with this song? I'm mean, it's a nice song, and new, but I was very a wee bit disappointed with their choice for the second night opener being the same as the first night.
Still made many memories with friends from all over.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Status quo for this tour seems to be Pendulum opening and a classic Pearl Jam opening song to follow. It's a bit disappointing, but it is what it is and I doubt that it's going to change this tour.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    i wish i was at the shows
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    Status quo for this tour seems to be Pendulum opening and a classic Pearl Jam opening song to follow. It's a bit disappointing, but it is what it is and I doubt that it's going to change this tour.

I think it's a great opener, followed by another "classic" opener is even better. I'm really enjoying the starts of these shows, the way they ease into it.
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I think people need to be looking at Pendulum like they view the piano music that intros the band at every single show. They do Pendulum and then a 'typical' opener..so I think the band might be seeing it this way as well.

Regardless. I'm stuck without seeing any of these shows...so I'd take Pendulum every single of them if I could!
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,808
    it almost appears like their using Pendulum as a pre opener and then going to with a traditional opener after. Since they are alway looking to change up there live experience i like the idea. Also Pendulum doesn't appear to be a song that they can drop into the middle of a set. Its either an opener or its not played..............i might be way off but, thats my thoughts
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    D-Rod wrote:
    it almost appears like their using Pendulum as a pre opener and then going to with a traditional opener after. Since they are alway looking to change up there live experience i like the idea. Also Pendulum doesn't appear to be a song that they can drop into the middle of a set. Its either an opener or its not played..............i might be way off but, thats my thoughts

Agreed.
  • Options
    KR49749KR49749 Posts: 53
    D-Rod wrote:

excellent thought. i enjoyed it at Philly 1. i missed night 2, but a buddy texted me and said "same opener" as night 1. He wasn't at night 1 so I told him, they're going to ease you into it and then melt your face.

Philly night 1 was unreal. They seem to have a renewed energy and I thought the crowd felt it and recipricated.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It's opened every show but 1 so far.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    Yeah, it opened both BK shows, too. It's a good song, so I'm not complaining...
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I bet it is a fantastic opener, but I have to say I am really surprised they have played it as opener at so many (is it 7 of 8 ??) shows! :?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    My friends and I are looking at "Pendullum" as a pre-appetizer for the main course "opener"!

Pendullums in a blanket
    Cheese Quisapendullums
    Pendullum Wings w/ hot sause

It's ALL GOOD, as long as those guys are up on stage playing it!

Was at both Brooklyns, couldn't believe Release & Wash were the main Openers! Pendullum was a smooth appetizer to start the FRENZY!!

Can't wait for the App and Main Opener at Hartford!!!!
    "See the path Cut by the Moon, for you to Walk On"
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    1. Pendulum is a great song and a perfect opener.
    2. The band is obviously proud of the song and enjoys playing it.
    3. They are following it up with a "classic" opener.

Based on the above, I have no issues with Pendulum opening each and every show.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    30+ song sets, Breath back to back with SOLAT. Wash, Leash, etc. Yet there is still a complaint.

I'm just hoping they have something left by the time they get to LA2.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2013
    Like others have mentioned in various ways, what it comes down to is that song 2 is the new song 1. 8-)
    Post edited by aspoonfulweighsaton on
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I love the atmosphere of this song! I think it's a fantastic opener. I would take it not followed by a traditional opener and be perfectly happy.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,303
    BeerBaron wrote:

Yes, this.

Seriously, Philly 1 was nothing short of amazing. If the guys are going to play such great shows with such great energy, they can open with whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    Yeah I too see it as a repeating opener followed by one of the classic openers so I guess you should feel lucky!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341

i thought it was odd....but kinda a like it.

it's like there are 2 opening songs. pendulum is the pre-opener :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,905
    BeerBaron wrote:

Exactly how I feel. I would have been bummed missing traditional openers but this way is great.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 631
    Goatboy wrote:

I think it's a great opener, followed by another "classic" opener is even better. I'm really enjoying the starts of these shows, the way they ease into it.

This.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

Exactly how I feel. I would have been bummed missing traditional openers but this way is great.

Agreed. If they only played Pendulum, and no traditional opener, I wouldn't be a huge fan of that. But with the way these setlists have been shaping up, no complaints here. 8-)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    30+ song sets, Breath back to back with SOLAT. Wash, Leash, etc. Yet there is still a complaint.

I'm just hoping they have something left by the time they get to LA2.

Yea I'm not complaining at all. Maybe I should have used a different adjective.
    Surprised. The shows were sick. Only talking about the openers bruh.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure they are going to open wiht Pendulum every show kind of like Metamorphis II so lucky us we get two openers! I would never compalin about that!
  • Options
    D-Rod wrote:

I agree on the consideration of this as a pre-opener, definitely has that Phillip Glass Metamorphosis feel, but I think Pendulum could be a cool closer, ala Indifference - though they have been sticking with the typical upbeat closers as of late so I wouldn't expect it.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    i wish i was at the shows

exactly...
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,092
    BeerBaron wrote:

This. They are obviously using it like Metamorphisis II and then following with classic opener. I love it. Hope they do it in OK City for the one show I get to attend.