Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i hope one day my ohio brethren turns up
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    81 wrote:
    i hope one day my ohio brethren turns up
    Me too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    BACKGROUND
    Brian Randal Shaffer is a resident of Columbus and a 10 Club member. He was last seen on April 1st, 2006, at bar on the OSU campus.

Seven years ago tonight, Randy had dinner with Brian. After dinner, Brian went out drinking.

A million thank yous to the band for actually caring. If they're reading this, they have no idea how much Wishlist in Cincinnati and Come Back from 5/6/2000 Columbus mean to all of us.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PA JammerPA Jammer Tamaqua, Pa. Posts: 340
    New website (I believe)- Hope this will help get answers.
    http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/index.html
    Tom- Tamaqua PA

"What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder"
    PA Jammer wrote:
    New website (I believe)- Hope this will help get answers.
    http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/index.html

Not a new site, but a redesign. Thanks for the update. I hadn't checked it in quite a while.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Three years ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMcRnqNQM7E

What a concert... and to have Mike start it off? Why didn't they release that pre-set on the bootleg? :fp:
    I'm listening to the 5/6/10 show now and they're just to the point where Eddie asked Keeley to see everyone and is taking about how bad things and good things happen.

Eddie with the tease. I thought it was then he'd talk about Brian, but the usual thanks to the opening band came first.

Speaking of mysteries. I heard those words and flew past cloud 9. I swear I have almost no memory of the show from that point to the end of YL.
  • JiggsJiggs Posts: 94
    I saw this story and instantly thought of Brian, this is why we can never give up hope!

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... cart_river#incart_maj-story-1
    Coffee in the Morning, Beer at Night
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Jiggs wrote:
    I saw this story and instantly thought of Brian, this is why we can never give up hope!

i thought the same thing. incredible story.
  • SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jiggs wrote:

i thought the same thing. incredible story.

I haven't even been around here all that much in the last 3 years or so, and I immediately thought the same thing too.
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    thought the same thing too and it's all over national news right now.
    thought the same thing too and it's all over national news right now.

This story might be on national news for a while...

Some other kids from central Ohio went missing a few days ago and were just found safe:
    http://www.nbc4i.com/story/22181639/pol ... blin-teens
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    positive vibes..lets hope for some news..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I joined the Missing Person from Ohio Facebook page and it's amazing and sad how many Ohioans are missing. Luckily, I got to post a few "so and so has been found" notices. I think I posted the news from Cleveland a few weeks ago, but it's still sad how many people go missing.

A wallet or keys I can understand, but a friggin' person?
    SiriusXM Radio is now playing Wishlist from 6/24/06 from Cincinnati!

I was just listening and I didn't make any connection, and then all of a sudden, Ed says "just wanted to share this with you" and I started being real happy inside and clapping and generally acting silly.

And for those keeping score at home, this is the third time I've heard a mention of Brian on SiriusXM's Pearl Jam Radio...THANK YOU THE ROB, AKA NHIDING FOR KEEPING IT REAL!
  • I don't follow this thread as much as I should...
    But I always see it sticking there and every time I see it and think of you guys.

My only thought is: "Can't wait for the concert when they will be on stage telling this story and what we hoped for so long finally happened".

I am sure we are all here hoping for that moment. We are here.
    In love with music
  • JG49071JG49071 Posts: 70
    geez, I can't believe this has a thread and is sticky. As a Columbus native, I'm sick of hearing about this.
    He's dead or doesn't want to be found. Let's move on.
    JG49071 wrote:
    geez, I can't believe this has a thread and is sticky. As a Columbus native, I'm sick of hearing about this.

Maybe someone said that about those girls in Cleveland... We promised his dad we wouldn't rest until we found an answer. No one is forcing you to post in this thread..no one is forcing anyone to post in this thread..yet they do, because we're family and we all look out for each other. As Ed says, "Be safe, take care of yourselves and look out for each other."

:)

But just out of curiosity, when was the last time the local media discussed the situation? I remember the Wishlist party had it as the benefactor, but I don't remember any major media coverage there...the blood drive at Kroger several years ago, but nothing huge, maybe one TV camera.
  • JG49071 wrote:

Plenty of words for you, all of which would likely get me kicked off the forum.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,606
    JG49071 wrote:

Maybe someone said that about those girls in Cleveland... We promised his dad we wouldn't rest until we found an answer. No one is forcing you to post in this thread..no one is forcing anyone to post in this thread..yet they do, because we're family and we all look out for each other. As Ed says, "Be safe, take care of yourselves and look out for each other."

:)

But just out of curiosity, when was the last time the local media discussed the situation? I remember the Wishlist party had it as the benefactor, but I don't remember any major media coverage there...the blood drive at Kroger several years ago, but nothing huge, maybe one TV camera.

Good point about the Cleveland girls. And as another Columbus native I can support your notion that I have not heard the local media say anything about it anytime recently. Probably the last time I heard it discussed in any sort of public forum was at the PJ show here in 2010.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • JG49071JG49071 Posts: 70
    so any opinion against the grain is not welcomed.
    seems a little hypocritical of so called fans of a band who preaches about letting your voice be heard, don't follow the norm, stand up, speak your mind, freedom of speech, let your feelings be heard yada yada yada.

sniffles
  • JG49071 wrote:
    seems a little hypocritical of so called fans of a band who preaches about letting your voice be heard, don't follow the norm, stand up, speak your mind, freedom of speech, let your feelings be heard yada yada yada.

sniffles

while I'm sure many believe your opinion to be true, it was pretty insensitive in its delivery.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I live in the Columbus area and haven't heard of Brians' situation locally since the '10 show @ Nationwide Arena. Been hoping good thoughts for everyone involved since he disappeared. Don't give up. Don't waver. And whatever happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 08-26-1998
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

"It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, 'All you need is love.'" LBC
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    JG49071 wrote:

sniffles

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that was harsh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I live in the Columbus area and haven't heard of Brians' situation locally since the '10 show @ Nationwide Arena. Been hoping good thoughts for everyone involved since he disappeared. Don't give up. Don't waver. And whatever happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?

Thread hijack: .... To be in the third (I'm assuming) row at Nationwide when Ed talked about the Newport not having enough space for the first row at Nationwide... :shock: That must have been incredible! (As a 279xxx, I was in the 16th row which wasn't bad at all, FWIW.)

As for the question at the end? I don't know. It's just me speaking here, but the world would be so much better without all the negative junk, PJ-related or not.

And as far as I know, the case is still in the missing persons department which I believe is fairly standard for these things, despite the lack of evidence either way.
  • looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    May his friends and remaining family someday get closure, and perhaps a fraction of peace knowing that an entire community (minus JG49071) and their band is hoping that one day we will know answers.
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • I live in the Columbus area and haven't heard of Brians' situation locally since the '10 show @ Nationwide Arena. Been hoping good thoughts for everyone involved since he disappeared. Don't give up. Don't waver. And whatever happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?

Thread hijack: .... To be in the third (I'm assuming) row at Nationwide when Ed talked about the Newport not having enough space for the first row at Nationwide... :shock: That must have been incredible! (As a 279xxx, I was in the 16th row which wasn't bad at all, FWIW.)

As for the question at the end? I don't know. It's just me speaking here, but the world would be so much better without all the negative junk, PJ-related or not.

And as far as I know, the case is still in the missing persons department which I believe is fairly standard for these things, despite the lack of evidence either way.

Thread hijack...When I saw them @ the Newport in'92, I was in the balcony above where Stone (and now Boom) play for most stage shows. I could have (not that I'm crass enough to) spat on each of them! Ten was enough to grab me, but that show turned me into a fanatic! When Ed mentioned that show @ Nationwide in '10, my friends all slapped me on the back, knowing I was there, & when he inro'ed Faithful by saying, "For the faithful," my friends raised their glasses & rocked out. Totally awesome! Went to the Pittsburgh show Friday & sat 6 rows from the stage, behind the stage. Again, I could have (but wouldn't have) spat on each of them, albeit with a little more work. Interesting perspective for a show not designed to be performed in the round, but great none the less. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

You are so right. The negativity on all levels is depressing. Guess I was just raised differently.

Being a Columbus native, I remember when the story of Brian going missing hit the news. Being a PJ fan, I recognized the tatoo description on the newscast. It's stuck with me ever since. To hear the band mention it when they're in the area is a nice gesture. It shows that they care about their fans and their charitable efforts. Part of why I'm proud to be a PJ fan.

Thinking positive thoughts until Brian comes home,

SB
    Cols, OH 03-31-1992
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 08-26-1998
    Cols, OH 08-21-2000
    Cols, OH 06-24-2003
    Cin, OH 06-24-2006
    Cols, OH 05-06-2010
    Pitt, PA 10-11-2013
    Cin, OH 10-01-2014
    Lexington, KY 04-26-2016

"It's already been sung, but it can't be said enough, 'All you need is love.'" LBC
  • Why should we loose hope? It's easier to loose hope. It's weaker... we are not weak, are we?
    It is in our hearts to believe and we will believe.

For those people that don't believe, you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't know why you need to express it in such a stupid way. I will give my opinion about it.

Pictures where Eddie looks hot. I don't think Eddie looks hot in any picture, so I just don't go there. :D

Hey Brian man, whenever you are... we are waiting for you. Cheers.
    In love with music
    fcbittenca wrote:
    Why should we loose hope? It's easier to loose hope. It's weaker... we are not weak, are we?

For those people that don't believe, you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't know why you need to express it in such a stupid way. I will give my opinion about it.

Pictures where Eddie looks hot. I don't think Eddie looks hot in any picture, so I just don't go there. :D

Brasilian OPTIMISM!!! The land of beaches, beautiful women and :):):):):)
  • fcbittenca wrote:
    Why should we loose hope? It's easier to loose hope. It's weaker... we are not weak, are we?

Brasilian OPTIMISM!!! The land of beaches, beautiful women and :):):):):)

;)
    In love with music