Options

It just hurts....

edited September 2013 in The Porch
You know... when someone you look up to does something that's embarrassing ....

( AKA like finding out your favorite baseball player (in this case that would be Will Clark #22 sf giants ) was a racist at a 5th grade birthday party

oh sirens

fuck man
It's Evolution Baby!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I think you mean "ie" , not aka.

I don't get the comparison between racist Will Clark and Sirens.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    No, not i.e., you use that when you're restating something. (It means "that is.") When you're giving an example, you use e.g.

And hey, did you know that all chaps are assless?
  • Options
    Hang in there OP. Wait to see what the rest of LB sounds like before you jump ship. That's my plan.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Oh, it gets better after Sirens.

I have to ask, how does someone become racist at a 5th graders party? Was it a Halloween party?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    JTH wrote:
    No, not i.e., you use that when you're restating something. (It means "that is.") When you're giving an example, you use e.g.

Oh whatever, ya damn know-it-all. :lol:

Does that make pants assful?
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    Will the "THRILL" is a racist?

say it ain't so, Joe :(
  • Options
    Not jumping ship. I respect everyone's opinion on music ...music theory not fact n all that jazz

just

All ...Racist Will Clark and Sirens comparison is just feeling let down man ... just feel let down by folks I admire..

you know ....

like when I found out that is depends on your definition of "is" from Bill until Bill said really I'm a horny mo of and did the whoopee with Monica Lewinsky .... really Monica Lewinsky..for real tho? Bill

PJ sirens... come on man for real tho?
    It's Evolution Baby!!!!
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    I'm confused here. And Will Clark is my my favorite baseball player of all time. Just sayin.
  • Options
    I think Sirens is along the same exact lines of Betterman and Daughter. Pretty basic, catchy tune but hopefully they expand on it live.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    JTH wrote:

You are correct on this.. But on the chaps part, you are incorrect. There are chaps both for motorcycle riders, and working cowboys or rodeo riders that are full chaps..
  • Options
    i felt that way when i first heard sirens. i respected it as a well put together song, but i couldn't get over the direction it was coming from.

the song did get to me though and i've changed my stance. it may or may not creep up on you one day, but don't be disappointed that the band wrote it. yea, its a bit cheez whiz, but wait for the record, put it in context, then draw a conclusion.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    If there's something... ANYTHING that is very important to you in life... so important that you're scared to lose it someday....
    ... how can you NOT like Sirens?

I can't understand this "cheese" argument.
    Pondering on how our mortality will put an end to EVERYTHING we care about and love: is that cheesy?
    Well, I'm the cheesiest one of all then.
    My guess is a lot of people think cheese every time the word "love" shows up in a song.

I understand that the music can be off putting for someone. A ballad like this coming fro PJ and all.
    But the message... the message is so powerful. Doesn't that account for anything?

:?

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's just that this song speaks so much to me... the hate it gets just baffles me.
    Different strokes I guess....
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    If there's something... ANYTHING that is very important to you in life... so important that you're scared to lose it someday....

Pondering on how our mortality will put an end to EVERYTHING we care about and love: is that cheesy?
    My guess is a lot of people think cheese every time the word "love" shows up in a song.

I understand that the music can be off putting for someone. A ballad like this coming fro PJ and all.
    But the message... the message is so powerful. Doesn't that account for anything?

Please don't take this the wrong way. It's just that this song speaks so much to me... the hate it gets just baffles me.

you not understanding how people cannot like the song is heads, people not understanding how someone CAN like the song is tails. same coin, my friend.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I think Sirens is along the same exact lines of Betterman and Daughter. Pretty basic, catchy tune but hopefully they expand on it live.

Yep. And while not quite the same, but in the same "testosterone-scaring motif" you also have Wishlist, Come Back, Nothingman, Off He Goes, Soon Forget, Just Breathe, The End, etc,.

Put another way, they've been doing "ballady" songs from the beginning. This one has a different direction undoubtedly, but whether or not that type of music is your thing, I am just surprised that the song is not being given credit as a well put together quality piece. I mean it isn't my personal favorite either, but I do think it is well written and composed. When my fav band starts writing complete junk without thought or effort, that's when I'll be embarrased.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    this whole thread is an embarassment. it just hurts reading it...
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Oh whatever, ya damn know-it-all. :lol:
    the-more-you-know-o.gif
  • Options
    You are correct on this.. But on the chaps part, you are incorrect. There are chaps both for motorcycle riders, and working cowboys or rodeo riders that are full chaps..
    This subject might need its own thread.
  • Options

Lyrically, this song contains one of the deepest premises of Ed's writing career. Love is the thing that makes you feel safe in a world full of sirens, yet at the same time, having something to love and the fear of losing it is what makes those sirens feel so dangerous in the first place.

It's a great paradox of the human condition.

I don't know this for a fact, but I assume Nickelback is not approaching this level of lyrical depth.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I always thought Will Clark was a robot. Helluva swing!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    Don't do drugs kids
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Not jumping ship. I respect everyone's opinion on music ...music theory not fact n all that jazz

just

All ...Racist Will Clark and Sirens comparison is just feeling let down man ... just feel let down by folks I admire..

you know ....

like when I found out that is depends on your definition of "is" from Bill until Bill said really I'm a horny mo of and did the whoopee with Monica Lewinsky .... really Monica Lewinsky..for real tho? Bill

PJ sirens... come on man for real tho?

How do you go from Racism to Bill Clinton to Monica Lewinsky to Sirens???

:fp:
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    You know... when someone you look up to does something that's embarrassing ....

To me, Siren's certainly doesn't fit that category...

If I was to pick anything this band has done in the last little while that I would all "embrassing" it would be playing at an Oracle convention in California last year (it was last year right?)... seems quite the exact opposite to the premises the band started on and fought hard against in early days...

However, lately, that event, much like Sirens, shows me how far this band has reshaped and changed along their musical journey... it's a display of their evolution, and through listening to their music I think it's given me insight as to how all of them have changed and evolved over the last 20+ years as humans...

And I can see a similar evolution in myself... so it's all just so fucking relate-able....

it's so hard to put into words, but to me sirens is perfect. It's not my favorite song, nor is it my least favorite, but play it next to Alive and it shows the evolution of this band perfectly.... and I feel some parallels to my own evolution as a person..

wow that sounds so corny reading it back... but I'm gonna post it anyway...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    If you're "embarrassed" by Sirens, it's time to look for another band. This song seems to be where the guys are in their lives right now, at least lyrically. I couldn't be happier. As usual, Ed has written lyrics that make me think, laugh, love, and cry all at the same time. It's a brilliant piece of songwriting (IMO). But, to each his own I guess. Their will always be a percentage of fans that continue to wait for Ten II, or VS II.
  • Options
    It's a ballad, they've written ballads their entire career. Why are people still surprised by this?
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    Not a huge fan of Sirens but this thread is fucking bonkers, dude.
  • Options
    broloco wrote:

This ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    This thread is not 100% positive for Sirens. Translation = LOCK coming soon :corn:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    broloco wrote:

One of the worst threads I have seen in a while
    Post edited by PRL1JAM on
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    Does it still hurt, bro? Just checking in on you.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    With all due respect, I think us 10clubbers should listen to the album before we burn these guys at the stake.

I happen to have loved everything (except for MYM) so far. :)
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.