Options

Jack White vs. Dan Auerbach

adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
edited August 2013 in Other Music
I'm a big fan of both Jack White (especially the White Stripes) and the Black Keys. Apparently Jack hates the Black Keys so much that he doesn't want his kid going to school with Dan Auerbach's kid. Thoughts?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/j ... -auerbach/
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    It's petty, but Jack has a point. Black Keys basically ripped off the Stripes. He'll even their name is a nod to the stripes.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I really don't get the rip off argument. Sure, they're both 2 piece blues rock bands, but their sounds aren't that similar, in my opinion.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    I prefer Dan than Jack.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    adam42381 wrote:
    I really don't get the rip off argument. Sure, they're both 2 piece blues rock bands, but their sounds aren't that similar, in my opinion.

They both did that garage rock blues thing for a while.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Not only is Jack a better guitar player but he's also a better drummer, can play the hell out of the piano, writes better lyrics, and is a better singer. Jack is on another level.
  • Options
    I think Dan's solo record is stronger than Jack's. Dan's early stuff with Pat also reviles Jacks with Meg. I think Jack has a leg up on Dan with his other bands however. The Dead Weather stuff leaves Dan in the dust and reaches a level the Keys have yet to find. As far as being concerned with him and his kid sitting next to Dan and his for the next twelve years and being lumped into each Jack needs to wake up. There are NO deprived children at this school. They are all rich, they all have second homes, they all vacation anywhere in the world they want, they all have the latest gadgets and so on. There is nothing special about Jack or his kids at this school........
  • Options
    The Black Keys were great up until Brothers, they've gone downhill since then (but more popular) that said I really don't think one sounds like the other. Dan's solo album is pretty decent.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    As far as anyone criticizing an email that Jack sent to Karen, remember two things: 1.) we don't even know for sure if it's authentic, and 2.) if it is legit, the email was meant for her eyes only---think about the fact that we all say things at times that are meant for only one person to see that we wouldn't necessarily want the world to see.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    This coming from a guy who left his fans hanging at radio city music hall?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Two fucking great bands/artists. Just cos' they can't get along doesn't have any effect on my love for them!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    So Jack White didn't rip anyone off? He created this style of music?

:corn:
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    THE LOOK wrote:

:lol: True, but we can say that about most everything musical!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    KH71368KH71368 Florida Posts: 65
    My new band's name is "Black Stripes, White Keys"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    can't stand either of them.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Fucking R&R artist are pumpus asses and JW is acting like one what a douche ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    White is acting like a baby. I hate egos. Stay humble kids.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Jack will be issuing a beat down soon, ala Von Bondies dude type style.
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    Every time I start to warm up to jack white he further prooves he's a pretentious ego maniac. Personally Auerbach's voice is way better and I prefer his guitar playing. They don't really sound similar to me either and both broke around the same time. I'm pretty sure every blues artist stole from Robert Johnson and every rock and roll star stole from them and to not want your kid to go to the same school as some other musican's son is so petty and pathetic.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I love both...but I'm going with Auerbach.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I do like Dan...But not even close....Jack all the way...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    THE LOOK wrote:

exactly. what a child.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Ehh, whatever. People can say what they want but Jack is awesome. Hardly a tune of his that I haven't liked. Used to dig the Black Keys but have more or less lost interest in them the last couple albums.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    I think Dan's solo record is stronger than Jack's. Dan's early stuff with Pat also rivals Jacks with Meg. I think Jack has a leg up on Dan with his other bands however. The Dead Weather stuff leaves Dan in the dust and reaches a level the Keys have yet to find
    I agree with this. As much as I love Blunderbuss, Dan's record was amazing. And the early Black Keys records are just as good as the White Stripes. I genuinely think Dan has a better voice too, especially live. I've seen Jack a couple of times and sometimes you don't know what the hell he's singing, he sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait!

I still think that Jack is one of the most important guys in music today - Third Man Records and the cool vinyl stuff especially - but things like this make him look like a bit of a dick though.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i can understand why Jack doesn't like Dan -- the Black Keys are a two-piece outfit who have exploded in the past three years but have become a completely different band than what they started off as (don't want to say sell-out, but that's what it seems like).

the white stripes on the other hand gained nearly the same success, yet really never sold-out in terms of having their songs in a lot of commercials, appearing on magazine covers, having their songs in the top 40, etc. so i can see why jack might have some animosity towards dan.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i can understand why Jack doesn't like Dan -- the Black Keys are a two-piece outfit who have exploded in the past three years but have become a completely different band than what they started off as (don't want to say sell-out, but that's what it seems like).

the white stripes on the other hand gained nearly the same success, yet really never sold-out in terms of having their songs in a lot of commercials, appearing on magazine covers, having their songs in the top 40, etc. so i can see why jack might have some animosity towards dan.

Didn't Jack White write a song for a Coke advert?
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm a big fan of both Jack White (especially the White Stripes) and the Black Keys. Apparently Jack hates the Black Keys so much that he doesn't want his kid going to school with Dan Auerbach's kid. Thoughts?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/j ... -auerbach/

I don't think either of them hate each other. For Dan to have been quoted saying "I've never heard of white stripes..." :fp:

I think this article about another article is full of holes and misquotes and dramatizations. Seriously, think about it. Why would either party really care that much? I'm not buying into this sensationalism journalism snobbery.

Patrick Carney's fight on Twitter with Justin Bieber is more believable. I followed it for a while. Patrick received death threats? from the Bieber fever tweens. (There was actually no fighting, it's was fourth-party gossip)
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    can't stand either of them.

Well, This is a new perspective. I'm enlightened. Why did you read this thread? Thought?s...
  • Options
    deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    THE LOOK wrote:

Apparently Jeffrey Lee Pierces last words were "I hate that White dude"...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Didn't Jack White write a song for a Coke advert?

Yeah, and also the Captain Morgan ad with Ball and Biscuit. I swear I've heard several more, but can't think of any. I was thinking the Stripes were one of the first bands to make it "ok" to put tunes in ads.
  • Options
    Rip on Dan or Jack all day....
    There is other stuff to do.....

Courtney Love and Billy Corgan..

Blah.. Blah..... Oh wait!

Blah